Troye Sivan

giraffeandy

No idea how many of you know or like this Australian singer, I'm quite a fan of him since his last album Bloom but that's not the reason why I decided to create this topic. He recently gave an interview which made me think of Mika:

Singer Troye Sivan has highlighted the lack of openly LGBT+ music artists in a recent interview.

The My My My! singer acknowledged the increase of openly LGBT+ musicians, but said that there is still no queer equivalent of Beyoncé, Rihanna, or Taylor Swift.  

“I think we’re in a really interesting time in music right now where we are seeing more and more queer artists pop up, but we don’t have a queer Taylor Swift, we don’t have a queer Rihanna, or a queer Beyoncé,” he said, speaking on an episode of Will Young and Chris Sweeney’s Homo Sapiens podcast, released on January 24.

Sivan also speculated as to whether he would do better commercially if he wasn’t gay.

“I have a great management team and great label, and I haven’t had this conversation with anyone else in fear because I hate it, hate it, hate it when pop stars sound bitter, or blame any sort of lack of success on anything other than for themselves,” he said.

However, the 23-year-old star said: “Part of me wonders sometimes if I would be more commercially successful if I wasn’t gay or not as ‘in your face gay.’

Still, Sivan, who released his second album Bloom in August 2018, did admit that his current success could “100 percent” just be down to his music.

“Maybe the music just isn’t good enough, maybe the world is obsessed with hip hop right now and I’m making the furthest thing from hip hop,” he said.

“It could be a myriad other things, but a part of me wonders sometimes, is the world actually ready right now for what I’m trying to be?”

(source: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/01/30/troye-sivan-beyonce-rihanna-taylor-swift/)

I saw people criticizing him a lot for these words, saying he is famous just because he is gay and that his music isn't good enough etc., but I kind of think he isn't wrong. I know it's been years since Grace Kelly was banned in America for being too gay, but I still think there are a lot of homophobic people in the society. I was just wondering what do you think about it? It also made me think of the song Good Guys...

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 2

I watched a video about these comments.

I think his music is okay but nothing outstanding.

I can think of a few gay singers like Sam Smith, Adam Lambert, Ricky Martin. Lady Gaga is also a huge part of the LGBT+ community, who is above the level of Taylor Swift and Rihanna.

Also Grace Kelly was banned in America for being too gay?! :furious:

This is the video:

31 minutes ago, Gemz said:

Also Grace Kelly was banned in America for being too gay?! :furious:

There was an interview with Greg Wells where he said this... 

I know there are some gay artists in the music industry but I think the majority of them aren't what Troye calls "in your face gay". However, his music and image is quite explicit. 

• Like 2

I kinda discovered Troye thanks to the Bloom video, which I found very bold. Even tho I knew him because of his YouTube channel, I had never really watched anything, so after that I got curious and decided to check out his music - I have to say I really like it. I agree with you about his lyrics and videos being quite explicit, which is good, that's what the world needs. And I also agree with what he's saying, maybe that same world that needs that kind of content isn't fully ready for it... yet. Maybe what it takes is little steps, it's raising awareness through what we have, and music is honestly one of the means which can have a bigger impact on people, so he's actually doing a great job. So is Mika. If I do remember well, there's an interview about Good Guys where he said something interesting related to this. Let me check!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sara09 said:

I kinda discovered Troye thanks to the Bloom video, which I found very bold. 

I agree, it's bold. I actually wanted to share the video here for those who haven't seen it yet. The song is about two men having BBB. :naughty: But what I really like about his music is the fact, that the lyrics are quite clever, it's not so obvious. However, the topic and the music video still could be problematic for some people... 

• Like 1

@giraffeandy here it is! He talks about Good Guys, the radio and the record company from minute 2:30

I also remember something else about this radio-record company thing, but I wouldn't know where to look for it. Approximately, he wanted to release Good Guys as a single and his record company told him something like "the radio won't play it", but he didn't care and went ahead with his idea. 

• Thanks 1

My favourite Troye Sivan stuff is the blue neighbourhood trilogy :)

Queen also got banned in America after their music video for I want to break free. And I think scissor sisters got banned too. Paul Gambicini (or something like that) who worked with Queen said in an interview that Queen got banned and he even mentioned Mika and the scissor sisters as others that did. (Haha I’m a queen fan) 

unfortunatly, Troye is probably correct. His sexuality probably has effected his career. People think homophobia isn’t a problem anymore but people always say to me “why do you go to pride” “why do you always talk about being lgbt” and it’s because people would feel more comfortable if you hide it from them. 

Anyway, I got onto a bit of a rant (pissed off because my brother called me a f*g and my parents didn’t tell him off, as usual) 

Troye is so good and under appreciated! The fact he came from YouTube probably didn’t help. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I've opened this thread but Troye just released a new EP called In A Dream and I think it's worth checking out if you are interested in his music (or even if not :teehee:), this song is probably my favourite: