Mika in US press 2019

Kumazzz

Billboard

mika-lollipop-sales-streaming-gains-snl-skit

Mika's 'Lollipop' Sees Significant Sales & Streaming Gains After 'SNL' Bump

2/21/2019 by Kevin Rutherford

The 2007 song was featured in a bar fight sketch during the Feb. 16 episode of the NBC show.

A Saturday Night Live sketch prominently featuring Mika’s 2007 song “Lollipop” is giving the decade-old song from the British pop singer’s debut album a second life.

According to initial reports to Nielsen Music, the song saw significant gains in sales and streams following its inclusion in a sketch during the long-running NBC show’s Feb. 16 episode. That most prominently includes a 9,333 percent boost in digital downloads between Saturday (Feb. 16) and Sunday (Feb. 17). The track is on its way to around 1,000 downloads in the Feb. 15-21 tracking week as a result, up from a negligible amount in the previous week.

Additionally, “Lollipop” racked up 39,000 on-demand streams on Feb. 17 and another 35,000 on Feb. 18. The two-day total of 74,000 easily eclipses the song’s streaming count for Feb. 15-16, 34,000, resulting in an overall boost of 118 percent.

“Lollipop” failed to chart in the U.S. upon its original release, but Life in Cartoon Motion was able to crack the Billboard 200 at No. 29 upon its release, moving 30,000 copies on the tally dated April 14, 2007. “Lollipop” was, however, a success globally, charting in the United Kingdom, Belgium, Sweden and more.

The aforementioned sketch shows episode host Don Cheadle squaring off in a bar fight with SNL cast member Beck Bennett. Fellow cast member Mikey Day accidentally plays “Lollipop” on the jukebox to soundtrack the spat, and the sparrers eventually find themselves unable to resist dancing to the tune.

Mika seemed as surprised as anyone else to hear the song on SNL, tweeting Feb. 17 that he “cried laughing watching this, total surprise.”

Edited by Kumazzz
update adding the MP4 file.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

ATWOOD MAGAZINE

http://atwoodmagazine.com/hrmny-singable-sunshine-spring-songs/

Singable Sunshine: Songs in Wait for Spring

By Ditta Demeter Columns, Harmony, Music, Playlists March 12, 2019

Next up, a song that has never, ever failed to make me smile, no matter how down I was – or how many degrees below zero the temperature fell.

“Lollipop,” my personal favorite from Mika’s hugely successful 2007 album Life in Cartoon Motion, is essentially a retro pop hit at this point, but the energy of its joyful vocals and dynamic drums didn’t fade with time. On the contrary, “Lollipop” is a true throwback track: With every listen I embark on a three-minute journey to my carefree childhood and forget about the much less uncomplicated present. Much like the candy it takes its title from, this song is a bit of a guilty pleasure: an unsophisticated, unashamedly saccharine piece of glam pop that the more selective (or snobby) music lovers amongst us might look down upon. But me? I’d never say no to all this sugary goodness.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Billboard

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8513891/mika-announces-new-album-ice-cream

Mika Announces New Album, Returns With Summery 'Ice Cream': Listen

5/31/2019 by Kirsten Spruch

Mika-Press-2019-cr-Julian-Broad-billboard-1548.thumb.jpg.95f5fe66bd5f2f3c3c69f9135b9ac6b4.jpg

Julian Broad
Mika

'My Name Is Michael Holbrook' is due October 4.

Mika announced the release of his fifth album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, and debuted lead single “Ice Cream” on Friday (May 31). 

"Ice Cream" aligns perfectly with the Brit's discography of catchy tunes. Starting with a glitchy intro, it quickly bursts into a bubbly bed of bass and synth. "The swimming pool is laughing with its shining bright blue teeth/ Laughing at my body as it's sweltering with heat/ The smell of colored plastic baking in the sun/ Sweet just like frustration, my senses on the run," he sings.

The track was "written on a day of extreme heat,” as Mika said in a statement. “It was the last few weeks of writing for the album; a writing period that lasted two years. Through the writing I had confronted personal, serious and at times painful issues, now I felt lighter and freer.” The singer explained that it during a summer in Italy, he wanted to "run away to the sea," or anywhere, really. "I dreamt about summer flings with someone totally stunning and out of my reach, I dreamt about the other person I always wish I was during the summer. Instead I was left with all the discomforts of summer heat. Sweat, work deadlines, bee stings, and all this with no AC," he added.

My Name Is Michael Holbrook is due Oct. 4 via Republic Records/Casablanca Records. Mika will also embark on a European tour on Nov. 10.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Just now, Kumazzz said:

TIME

http://time.com/5598608/5-songs-you-need-to-listen-to-this-weekend-6/

5 Songs You Need to Listen to This Weekend

By Raisa Bruner

May 31, 2019

This week, the music gods are blessing us with an overload of new, fresh pop from a range of genre favorites. From the return of Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus to new offerings from the likes of Camila Cabello, Rosalía, King Princess, Kim Petras, MIKA and Tove Lo, there’s more than enough to satisfy pop fans. In particular, it’s worth paying attention Perry’s latest, “Never Really Over,” marking the vivacious pop star’s next step. Then there’s Swedish singer Tove Lo, whose new song shows a new, softer side from the party-anthem queen. King Princess doubles down on her simmering vibe on “Cheap Queen,”

and European star MIKA makes a splash with the summer bop “Ice Cream.”

And there’s another, non-pop new release to get excited about, too: Carrie Brownstein’s band Sleater-Kinney, coming in strong with “Hurry on Home,” their first new music since 2015.

“Ice Cream,” MIKA

England-based singer-songwriter-producer MIKA made his debut splash back in 2007 with frothy, bubblegum pop hits like “Grace Kelly” and “Lollipop,” paired on his albums with other tracks that showed off his orchestral arrangements; he’s always been an artist with range.

Now, ahead of his upcoming fifth album, the multi-talented artist is back with “Ice Cream,” a sugar-sweet, carefree and upbeat summer bop that’s about, well, the joys of the warmer months.

His hyper-specific lyrics complete the picture: “The smell of colored plastic baking in the sun… I want your ice cream, I want it melting on my tongue.”

It’s hard not to want to find a pool (and a nice cold treat) after listening to the funk-infused track.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mika-ice-cream-lyric-video-842886/

Mika’s New Song ‘Ice Cream’ Is Summer-Anthem Bait

My Name Is Michael Holbrook, singer’s first album in four years, arrives in October

Mika has unveiled the lyric video for his new summer-ready anthem “Ice Cream,” the first single off the Lebanese-English singer’s upcoming fifth record, My Name Is Michael Holbrook. The album, due out October 4th, marks Mika’s first LP since 2015’s No Place in Heaven.

On the lead single “Ice Cream,” Mika told Rolling Stone via email, “‘Ice Cream’ was written on a day of extreme heat. It was the last few weeks of writing for the album; a writing period that lasted two years. Through the writing I had confronted personal, serious and at times painful issues, now I felt lighter and freer.”

Mika added that the song came about during an August trip to Italy, and was partially inspired by “the irreverent attitude of the music of the 90s,” including the music made by George Michael during that time.

“Dare to be the more proud version of yourself,” he says. “Dare to be a sensual man, dare to express out loud the desires you always keep inside your head. That’s why and how I wrote it.”

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WeirdChild said:

Found mika on my news app. They called him the greatest singer of all time XD

it's from

Un Crazed

https://www.uncrazed.com/mika-return-friday-new-single-ice-cream/12611/

MIKA Returns This Friday With New Single ‘Ice Cream’

Yooooooo Mika! Let’s set the record by saying Mika is one of the greatest artists of all time — and yes, this is an opinionated article but we are basing this on facts.

Mika, or MIKA, real name Michael Penniman, was born 18 August, 1983, making him 35-years-old at the time of this article, but his music throws you into it’s very own, unique time era. In 2007, after recording his first extended play, Dodgy Holiday, he was named the number-one predicted breakthrough act.

His first full-length studio album, Life in Cartoon Motion, sold over 5.6 million copies worldwide; leading him to win Best British Breakthrough in the Brit Awards, along with receiving a Grammy Award nomination, later topping the UK Singles Chart with Grace Kelly in 2007.

Ever since then, his music has bettered and formed a wonderful masterpiece in a music collectors catalogue, or playlist, for a moderner term.

It’s time for us to express our excitement, because the official announcement for his latest single has been made. In a post on Instagram, Mika said, “I am putting the final touches (literally) to the single #IceCream cover and album artwork. I wanted to hand write the album title myself to make it feel intimate.

Meanwhile in London, my sister Yasmine has been busy painting elements for the artwork. Check out my Instagram story to see a video of her desk at this very moment! ❤️🤓

Attached to the caption are several images giving us a glimpse as to what to expect… this Friday. The excitement is real, and now it’s time for a throwback playlist of Mika’s greatest hits (all of his music), whilst attempting to match his vocals.

• Like 3

GRUNGE CAKE

Platinum-selling artist MIKA returns with George Michael-inspired lead single ‘Ice Cream’: Listen

In time for the start of Pride Month and the Summer, as we know it, brilliant singer-songwriter MIKA shares the hot and steamy ‘Ice Cream’. Sure to make the party animal in most come out all season, the dance floors will be covered when the anthemic record from his full-length ‘My Name Is Michael Holbrook’ plays at a nightclub. To me, ice cream substitutes the three-letter word that brought us all to this party called “life”, as it also reminds me of George Michael’s platinum-selling record from 1987, ‘I Want Your Sex’. If you’re wondering where the inspiration for ‘Ice Creams’ came from, MIKA provided us with some context.

“Ice Cream was written on a day of extreme heat. It was the last few weeks of writing for the album; a writing period that lasted two years. Through the writing I had confronted personal, serious and at times painful issues, now I felt lighter and freer.”

He continues, “It was August in Italy. I wanted to run away to the sea, or just about anywhere. I dreamt about Summer flings with someone totally stunning and out of my reach, I dreamt about the other person I always wish I was during the summer. Instead, I was left with all the discomforts of Summer heat. Sweat, work deadlines, bee stings, and all this with no AC.”

“The song is a daydream fantasy.” MIKA adds, “It shimmers like a mirage, and makes me feel like anything is possible. Inspired by the irreverent attitude of the music of the 90s; George Michael among others. Dare to be the more proud version of yourself. Dare to be a sensual man, dare to express out loud the desires you always keep inside your head. That’s why and how I wrote it.”

The decorated artist will embark on a European tour, starting on November 10 in London with stops through Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, and other countries. If we’re lucky, he will also do select US shows this Fall.

mika-grungecake-thumbnail-1110x1665.thumb.jpg.3f4c24103dd240a70d9c7427a5602d94.jpg

• Like 4

Billboard

June 5, 2019 10:02 AM

Mika-Press-2-2019-cr-Julian-Broad-billboard-1548.thumb.jpg.9de709266346b70c9b109dae6f0ee74c.jpg

Happy Pride Month, everyone! Before we dive deeper into the annual festivities we're proud to present the latest edition of Queer Necessities, our monthly LGBTQ-driven playlist from Billboard Pride where we catch you up on the latest and greatest bops by queer musicians and fierce allies.

Each month's selections will be curated by NYC-based DJ and tastemaker Jon ALi, who is the founder of pop music entertainment destination Jon ALi's Blog. Don't forget to follow Queer Necessities on Spotify to keep up-to-date on the best musical offerings from the LGBTQ community.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

TIME tweets

and then Mika RT

TIME

https://time.com/5617590/4th-of-july-playlist/

Entertainment

Music

Here's Your New Fourth of July Summer Party Playlist to Keep the Good Vibes Going

By Raisa Bruner

2:33 PM EDT

Fourth of July means it’s the height of summer, and it’s weekends of pool parties or backyard hangs. Much of the U.S. will spend this weekend out at a barbecue of some kind, and will need the kind of summery jams that keep the good vibes going. While there are plenty of tried-and-tested classics that fit the bill — Katy Perry’s “California Gurls”! Demi Lovato’s “Cool for the Summer”! The endless joy of “Despacito (Remix)” from Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber! — we’ve put together a roundup of newer releases for a fourth of July playlist that should also stand up to summer’s party needs.

“Ice Cream,” MIKA

MIKA was once known for hits like “Lollipop, so maybe it’s no surprise that his latest, “Ice Cream,” is another bright and joyful ode to hot weather. When he sings “I want your ice cream, I want it melting on my tongue” over a punchy funk melody, you’d be hard-pressed not to want to find your own cold treat.

mentions other songs

Spoiler

“I Don’t Care,” Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber

This year, Bieber and Sheeran teamed up for a song about not particularly enjoying the party — until they settle in for the ride, thanks to being with their beloved. Luckily, its bouncy pop vibe works whether or not you’re actually enjoying yourself at an event.

“Come to Brazil,” Why Don’t We

Young boy band Why Don’t We wink at the phrase that many of their passionate superfans pepper all over their social media posts — “come to Brazil!” — with this peppy, summery tune about last-minute travel plans that hints at hot-weather flings.

“Make It Hot,” Major Lazer feat. Anitta

“Siempre hot, siempre picante,” sings Brazilian star Anitta — always hot, always spicy. The Major Lazer track mixes a sinuous flute with baile funk (funk carioca) beats and works as well as any of the latest genre-blending club tracks to get the people going.

“Sucker,” Jonas Brothers

There’s a reason the Jonas Brothers made such a big splash with their latest comeback: this song. It’s pure pop magic, and has a tendency to get people singing along. We’re all a sucker for summer, after all.

“Too Much,” Carly Rae Jepsen

Jepsen is the queen of pop songs that mix highs and lows — she doesn’t do emotion in small pieces, but big and bold. “Too Much” is a thesis statement to that effect, and it also works as a delightfully unbridled track to sing and dance your heart out to.

“La La Land,” Bryce Vine feat. YG

There’s something very summer about nostalgia-tinged songs about California. “La La Land” fits the bill: Bryce Vine is the epitome of low-key cool as he sing-raps about nights out, house parties and casual small-talk conversations. “Waste your time with me in California,” he suggests in the chorus — one idea for how to spend the season.

“Juice,” Lizzo

It’s hard not to start dancing and singing along to Lizzo’s “Juice,” a bold and buoyant summer hit that’s unabashedly all about the party. “If I’m shining, everybody gonna shine,” she sings, and it’s enough to bring everyone to the dance floor.

“Mojaita,” J Balvin and Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny and J Balvin are two of Latin music’s biggest stars at the moment — and they did listeners the kindness of surprise-releasing a joint album this summer. “Mojaita” kicks things off with a slinky reggaeton groove, but the rest of the album is just as worthy.

“Señorita,” Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello

Cabello follows up her “Havana” hit with “Señorita,” a sultry new duet between the two pop stars. Both lean into their most languid, elastic senses of melody, the song echoing summer nights that stretch out into dawn.

“Go Loko,” YG feat. Tyga and Jon Z

Cabello follows up her “Havana” hit with “Señorita,” a sultry new duet between the two pop stars. Both lean into their most languid, elastic senses of melody, the song echoing summer nights that stretch out into dawn.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

BlackBook

https://bbook.com/news/mika-announces-tiny-love-tiny-tour-of-north-america-mexico-city-this-fall/

Mika Announces ‘Tiny Love, Tiny Tour’ of North America + Mexico City This Fall

For awhile, all anybody could talk about regarding Mika was if he would be the one to play Freddie Mercury in what would eventually become the Oscar-winning biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. The November 2016 announcement that the role would go to Rami Malek then shifted the conversation to why it wouldn’t be Mika.

Eight long months on from the film’s debut, Mika has decisively steered the Mika conversation back to, well…Mika.

Indeed, his new single and video “Ice Cream” was released May 31 to much enthusiasm. And though it sounds like he’s been listening to a lot of Prince and Scissor Sisters, one can’t help but notice it makes no shame of paying groovalicious homage to Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust.” The slinky, sultry synth-funk track finds him lasciviously rattling off clever couplets like, “The grass is turnin’ yellow /
Streets are slow and mellow” in a falsetto that would surely make Freddie proud.

It’s taken from his first new studio album in five years, My Name is Michael Holbrook (it is), out October 4.

“I didn’t know what to do when it came time to start the [recording] process and was honestly kind of at a loss,” MIKA recalls. “I felt a little disappointed by the commercial side of the industry. I didn’t want to make a record by numbers or by committee. I wanted to make an uncontaminated, homemade pop record.”

No surprise, he’s also just announced that he’ll be taking that new music out on the road this fall, for his Tiny Love, Tiny Tour of North America + Mexico City – before heading off on a not so tiny tour of Europe. If you’re planning to be in Zurich November 22, well…we’ll see you there.

Tiny Love, Tiny Tour

September 13                                          New York, NY                                          Brooklyn Steel
September 15                                           Montreal, QC                                                       Corona
September 16                                           Montreal, QC                                                       Corona
September 18                                      San Francisco, CA                                                  Fillmore
September 21                                         Los Angeles, CA                                                       ACE
September 24                                         Mexico City, MX                                       Plaza Condesa

Mika Live in Europe

November 10                                             London, UK                           Shepherd’s Bush Empire
November 12                                        Barcelona, Spain                                             Razzmatazz
November 13                                           Madrid, Spain                                                 La Riviera
November 15                                             Pau, France                                                          Zenith
November 16                                         Toulouse, France                                                     Zenith

November 18                                  Aix-en-Provence, France                     L’Arena du Pays d’Aix
November 19                                    Saint-Étienne, France                                                   Zenith
November 21                                     Geneva, Switzerland                              SEG Geneva Arena
November 22                                      Zurich, Switzerland                                        Komplex 457
November 24                                              Turin, Italy                                               Pala Alpitour
November 26                                           Ancona, Italy                                       Promenteo Palace
November 27                                           Roma, Italy                                             Palalottomatica
November 29                                          Bologna, Italy                                             Unipol Arena
November 30                                        Montichiari, Italy                                              Palageorge
December 2                                              Livorno, Italy                                     Modigliani Forum
December 03                                              Milan, Italy                                    Mediolanum Forum
December 14                                       Brussels, Belgium                                       Forest National
December 15                                            Lille, France                                                          Zenith
December 17                                           Dijon, France                                     Le Zenith de Dijon
December 19                                 Floirac, Bordeaux, France                                     Arkea Arena
December 20                                          Nantes, France                                                        Zenith
December 22                                             Paris, France                                    Accor Hotel Arena
January 24                                                 Caen, France                                                        Zenith
January 25                                                 Niort, France                                             L’Acclameur
January 29                                  Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg                                        Rockhal
January 30                                            Montbéliard, France                                              L’Axone
February 1                                                 Padova, Italy                                                       Kioene
February 2                                                Bolzano, Italy                                                   Palaonda
February 5                                                  Napoli, Italy                                            Palapartenope
February 7                                                   Bari, Italy                                                      Palaflorio
February 8                                         Reggio Calabria, Italy                                       Palacalafiore
February 13                                         Utrecht, Netherlands                 TivoliVredenburg – Ronda
February 14                                          Strasbourg, France                                                    Zenith

Mika-2019.thumb.jpg.91bb381c681a872e2210bb2af993244f.jpg]

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The Prelude Press

news/2019/8/16/mika-debuts-new-single-tiny-love

Aug. 16 2019

MIKA Debuts New Single, "Tiny Love"

81T2vFaguPL.thumb.jpg.6b1404df5a89718eb0ce2bb768b8963e.jpg

Critically acclaimed, platinum-selling, global pop star MIKA debuts a new single “Tiny Love” today, alongside a W.I.Z.-directed video. Listen to it now HERE and watch the video now below. The track is the second single from MIKA’s highly anticipated new album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, out October 4. Pre-order the album HERE.

Of the track, MIKA says, "The most important thing in the world is the love we have for those around us, the love others offer us and the love we have for ourselves. That love can feel so massive and yet at the same time it’s so tiny and imperceivable to others. This song is a conscious decision to provoke that emotion. I knew I needed a different sort of director for this video, more art and film based. W.I.Z. was the perfect choice. From every detail in pre-production, to the art direction and casting, he has one thing in mind; to illustrate a complex narrative that he has written in his head. I am very proud of what he has made. An emotionally epic video for a song full of heart and love. Huge and Tiny at the same time."

In celebration of the release, MIKA will make a long-awaited return to North America with the Tiny Love Tiny Tour this fall. The headline run kicks off with a show at New York City’s Brooklyn Steel on September 12. He then heads to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Montreal, before jetting overseas for a massive European arena tour. Tickets are on sale now, see below for a complete itinerary.

For his first full length in five years, MIKA explores his American heritage on My Name Is Michael Holbrook. While his tumultuous childhood began in Lebanon before fleeing to Paris and then London, he focuses the album on the roots he traces back to his father’s Savannah, Georgia upbringing. The work also paints a loving picture of his relationship with his mother, the woman who trained him, made his wardrobe for years on the road and most importantly taught him never to follow and always to express himself fearlessly. After writing in home studios in Miami and Tuscany over the course of two years, MIKA went to Brussels to record with producersMarc Crew and Dan Priddy.

“I hadn’t put out a record in four years. I didn’t know what to do when it came time to start the process and was honestly kind of at a loss,” MIKA says. “I felt a little disappointed by the commercial side of the industry. I didn’t want to make a record by numbers or by committee. I wanted to make an uncontaminated, homemade pop record.”

Born Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr. in 1983 as the third of five children, MIKA started vocal lessons at seven years old. Learning to play piano and write songs while showing otherworldly vocal range, MIKA quickly became a young virtuoso. MIKA’s musical success began with the release of his hit single, “Grace Kelly.” The single was featured on his debut album, Life In Cartoon Motion, which went straight to #1 in the UK and 11 other countries, going on to sell over seven million copies worldwide. Since his debut he has released three other Platinum selling full length albums, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, The Origin of Love, and No Place In Heaven. In addition, MIKA has not only won a Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act, but he has also been nominated for Grammys, MTV Europe Music Awards, Capital Radio Awards and World Music Awards. Additionally, his RA12 primetime variety show “Stasera Casa Mika” won the prestigious Rose D’or Award for Best Entertainment Series in 2017. Furthermore, he has been a judge on France’s The Voice for six years and hosts his own BBC2 Radio show “The Art of Song.”

TINY LOVE TINY TOUR
September 12 New York, NY Brooklyn Steel
September 13 New York, NY Brooklyn Steel
September 15 Montreal, QC Corona
September 16 Montreal, QC Corona
September 18 San Francisco, CA Fillmore
September 21 Los Angeles, CA ACE
September 24 Mexico City, MX Plaza Condesa

MIKA LIVE IN EUROPE
November 10 London, UK Shepherd’s Bush Empire
November 12 Barcelona, Spain Razzmatazz
November 13 Madrid, Spain La Riviera
November 15 Pau, France Zenith
November 16 Toulouse, France Zenith
November 18 Aix-en-Provence, France L’Arena du Pays d'Aix
November 19 Saint-Étienne, France Zenith
November 21 Geneva, Switzerland SEG Geneva Arena
November 22 Zurich, Switzerland Komplex 457
November 24 Turin, Italy Pala Alpitour
November 26 Ancona, Italy Promenteo Palace
November 27 Roma, Italy Palalottomatica
November 29 Bologna, Italy Unipol Arena
November 30 Montichiari, Italy Palageorge
December 2 Livorno, Italy Modigliani Forum
December 03 Milan, Italy Mediolanum Forum
December 14 Brussels, Belgium Forest National
December 15 Lille, France Zenith
December 17 Dijon, France Le Zenith de Dijon
December 19 Floirac, Bordeaux, France Arkea Arena
December 20 Nantes, France Zenith
December 22 Paris, France Accor Hotel Arena
January 24 Caen, France Zenith
January 25 Niort, France L’Acclameur
January 29 Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg Rockhal
January 30 Montbéliard, France L’Axone
February 1 Padova, Italy Kioene
February 2 Bolzano, Italy Palaonda
February 5 Napoli, Italy Palapartenope
February 7 Bari, Italy Palaflorio
February 8 Reggio Calabria, Italy Palacalafiore
February 13 Utrecht, Netherlands TivoliVredenburg – Ronda
February 14 Strasbourg, France Zenith

• Like 1

Billboard

PRIDE

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/8527624/mika-tiny-love-video

Mika Pays Tribute to the Little Things (Literally) in 'Tiny Love' Video: Watch

When it comes to writing love songs, artists tend to focus on the larger-than-life, grandiose aspects of infatuation. But pop star Mika, as per usual, is different -- he wants to talk about the small moments that make falling head-over-heels so great.

On Friday (August 16), the singer revealed his new song "Tiny Love," an ode to the mundane side of love despite the track's grandiose production, sounding like an early-era Queen B-side. The song opens with the singer explaining what true love is not, including "a sunrise over canyons shaped like hearts," or "bursting into song in Central Park." Rather, he contends, it's "a 'still-there-Monday-morning' kind of love."

The video, directed by high-concept artist W.I.Z., takes a more exact approach to the song's title. It shows the singer in a confusing fun house apartment with his tall lover; throughout the surrealist video, Mika and his flame eat cherries, play piano and lounge around, before the star is shrunk down to fit in the palm of a hand. "You get me high on a tiny love," he sings to his enormous paramour.

In a statement released with the song, Mika said that he wanted to capture the idea that love can feel enormous, "yet at the same time it’s so tiny and imperceivable to others." He also shouted out director W.I.Z. for his work on the video. "From every detail in pre-production, to the art direction and casting, he has one thing in mind; to illustrate a complex narrative that he has written in his head," he said. "I am very proud of what he has made."

The new song comes as the second single off of Mika's forthcoming fifth studio album My Name is Michael Holbrook, due out on Oct. 4. In honor of the song, the artist will also head out on a short North American tour this fall, appropriately named the "Tiny Love Tiny Tour."

Check out Mika's new video for "Tiny Love" and his upcoming North American tour dates below:

• September 12 & 13 — Brooklyn Steel, New York, NY
  • September 15 & 16 — Corona, Montreal, QC
  • September 18 — Fillmore, San Francisco, CA
  • September 21 — ACE, Los Angeles, CA
  • September 24 — Plaza Condesa, Mexico City, MX

• Like 2

ALBUMISM

https://www.albumism.com

NEW MUSIC WE LOVE: MIKA’s “Tiny Love”

August 18, 2019 Quentin Harrison

The arrival of MIKA—born Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr.—in 2007 with his debut album Life in Cartoon Motion brought a much-needed dose of color to a music scene sorely lacking real stimulus. Across his follow-up albums The Boy Knew Too Much (2009), The Origin of Love (2012) and No Place in Heaven (2015), MIKA boldly expounded on his brand of intelligent pop with exciting results and joined the ranks of clever troubadours like Elton John, Rufus Wainwright and Jake Shears.

Now, he’s back with his fifth studio LP My Name Is Michael Holbrook, due out October 4th. The record is sure to be a repeat performance in sonic excellence if his current single “Tiny Love” is any indication. A crisp, midtempo piano ballad, “Tiny Love” follows behind the svelte and sexy “Ice Cream,” the first single release from My Name Is Michael Holbrook. Whereas the flirty groove of “Ice Cream” felt perfect at the onset of summer, “Tiny Love” shifts toward an autumnal-like reflection that frames MIKA’s handsome vocal tone and lyrical portraiture beautifully. 

Welcome back MIKA, we’ve missed you.

Albumism_MIKA_MainImage_Credit_JulianBroad.thumb.jpg.f01d64406f718f7bbd46bf8bc1824d0e.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 3

The Republiq

https://www.therepubliq.com/entertainment/music/mika-tiny-love

MIKA: “Tiny Love”

Global pop superstar MIKA debuts new single, “Tiny Love” ahead of his first new studio album in five years MY NAME IS MICHAEL HOLBROOK.

Published on August 16, 2019

Critically acclaimed, platinum-selling, global pop star MIKA debuts a new single “Tiny Love”, alongside a W.I.Z.-directed video. The track is the second single from MIKA’s highly anticipated new album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, out October 4.

Of the track, MIKA says, “The most important thing in the world is the love we have for those around us, the love others offer us and the love we have for ourselves. That love can feel so massive and yet at the same time it’s so tiny and imperceivable to others. This song is a conscious decision to provoke that emotion. I knew I needed a different sort of director for this video, more art and film based. W.I.Z. was the perfect choice. From every detail in pre-production, to the art direction and casting, he has one thing in mind; to illustrate a complex narrative that he has written in his head. I am very proud of what he has made. An emotionally epic video for a song full of heart and love. Huge and Tiny at the same time.”

In celebration of the release, MIKA will make a long-awaited return to North America with the Tiny Love Tiny Tour this fall. The headline run kicks off with a show at New York City’s Brooklyn Steel on September 12. He then heads to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Montreal, before jetting overseas for a massive European arena tour. Tickets are on sale now.

MIKA recently debuted the first single “Ice Cream” from the new album, which Rolling Stone dubbed “Summer-Anthem Bait” and TIME calls “a sugar-sweet, carefree and upbeat summer bop.” The track has been streamed 1.5 million times to date and continues to receive rave reviews.

For his first full length in five years, MIKA explores his American heritage on My Name Is Michael Holbrook. While his tumultuous childhood began in Lebanon before fleeing to Paris and then London, he focuses the album on the roots he traces back to his father’s Savannah, Georgia upbringing. The work also paints a loving picture of his relationship with his mother, the woman who trained him, made his wardrobe for years on the road and most importantly taught him never to follow and always to express himself fearlessly. After writing in home studios in Miami and Tuscany over the course of two years, MIKA went to Brussels to record with producers Marc Crew and Dan Priddy.

“I hadn’t put out a record in four years. I didn’t know what to do when it came time to start the process and was honestly kind of at a loss,” MIKA says. “I felt a little disappointed by the commercial side of the industry. I didn’t want to make a record by numbers or by committee. I wanted to make an uncontaminated, homemade pop record.”

Born Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr. in 1983 as the third of five children, MIKA started vocal lessons at seven years old. Learning to play piano and write songs while showing otherworldly vocal range, MIKA quickly became a young virtuoso. MIKA’s musical success began with the release of his hit single, “Grace Kelly.” The single was featured on his debut album, Life In Cartoon Motion, which went straight to #1 in the UK and 11 other countries, going on to sell over seven million copies worldwide. Since his debut he has released three other Platinum selling full length albums, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, The Origin of Love, and No Place In Heaven. In addition, MIKA has not only won a Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act, but he has also been nominated for Grammys, MTV Europe Music Awards, Capital Radio Awards and World Music Awards. Additionally, his RA12 primetime variety show “Stasera Casa Mika” won the prestigious Rose D’or Award for Best Entertainment Series in 2017. Furthermore, he has been a judge on France’s The Voice for six years and hosts his own BBC2 Radio show “The Art of Song.”

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

EDGE Media Network

https://www.edgemedianetwork.com/entertainment/music//281448#.XXLrOpLXWkA

His Name is Michael Holbrook, but You Know Him as MIKA

by Frank J. Avella
EDGE Media Network Contributor
Friday Sep 6, 2019

viewimage_story_php.thumb.jpg.240edf037fbe921025741dc7500606f1.jpg

MIKA  (Source:MIKA website/Peter Lindbergh)

Playful yet provocative alt-pop sensation, MIKA, continues to fearlessly dive into dark waters penning deceptively danceable yet deft and nuanced new music with his fifth studio album, "My Name is Michael Holbrook," dropping this October.

He is also about to embark on his most ambitious tour, that kicks off at Brooklyn Steel on September 13th and then plays a few dates in North American before moving on to a slew of performances all over Europe.

MIKA's 2007 debut album, "Life in Cartoon Motion," which according to MIKA was not supposed to be successful, was huge and the rousing single, "Grace Kelly" was an international chart topper. Three platinum selling albums followed, "The Boy Who Knew Too Much," "The Origin of Love" and "No Place in Heaven."

Often compared to Elton, Freddie, George and even Prince, MIKA is his own person and a unique artist who is forever challenging himself in his work by delving deeply into his own life and loves and heartaches and joys and giving us music that can be sinfully innocent or sweetly decadent or universally personal — let the contradictions and paradoxes wash over you.

Mika was born Michael Holbrook Penniman, Jr. in 1983, and the new album is his "audit of my life and my family and the man I've become."

EDGE had the pleasure of speaking with the sincere, honest and charming artist as he prepared his tour outside the hills of Tuscany in Italy. He admitted to not loving interviews but seemed fine as we conversed.

Disney meets Lars von Trier

viewimage_story_element..thumb.jpg.ea98ed72b28f4dbfe9b3da9dc48e9c40.jpg

EDGE: On "My Name is Michael Holbrook" you've created these incredible songs that are peppy and melodic but there's a lot of angst and darkness in there about trying to navigate life. It's like Disney meets Lars von Trier...

MIKA: That's so funny...I'm working with a guy called W.I.Z., he's a director for my music videos. He did the "Tiny Love" video and we're doing another video for the song, "San Remo," which is based on homosexuality in the 1960s. All filmed on real film. And he said something very similar to what you said, "there's this kind of fairly tale, really sophisticated, naïve, vintage Disney thing and then a bit of Lars von Trier or Gus Van Sant apocalyptic sentiment when you're listening to your music." ...And you're saying the same thing. I'm okay with that because my writing process is a medicinal one... I write music to make sense of things that happen in life, of things that I don't comprehend and it enables me to contextualize what's going on. I could be in a really bad situation or even in a place that I don't like or am so angry with someone that I could risk going to jail to punish them. And then when I somehow put it into a song and I go through the writing process of forcing myself to look through the lens that you have to look through when you decide to write about something, you inevitably put it into order and life just becomes a little more beautiful.

EDGE: That paradoxical blend in your work...

MIKA: From, "San Remo" not being about San Remo at all, but being about growing up gay and being a 13-year-old gay walking around the streets of San Remo and feeling incredibly intimidated by every other masculine presence that seems more beautiful, more slim, more heterosexual — just cooler and better than you'd think you could ever be. That's what that song is about. It's not obvious but it's in there.

To a song like, "Paloma..." It's about my sister and it's about the night that I found her on railings having fallen from the window of the fourth floor of her apartment... And I'm standing barefoot in my boxers. And she's dying on the railing. And I'm looking at her, at that situation... when I started writing about it... there was beauty in the fact that I saw her there in the most grotesque situation... She survived, that's why it's easier to see the beauty in it. Still, doing a process like this and not being Mika was very important. Being Michael Holbrook, this dude who is just writing songs about himself, about his life at the moment, his childhood, the women in his family — and about the fear of some of the future... and putting all of that insecurity into something still attractive, bearable and comforting and that's what the process of writing this record was.

Open about queerness?

viewimage_story_element.thumb.jpg.056fd2dc38d5803b8663d45cccbd4d9a.jpg

EDGE: Did you achieve any kind of catharsis and, if so, when did it come.

MIKA: Yeah, I did. I got high. It wasn't catharsis as much as it was this kind of re-finding that feeling that you have when you're starting to write — you're 15-years-old and you're starting to write and you get that rush of dopamine and endorphins and you feel like a million dollars — a million dollars could never make you feel like you do when you've written something and it just somehow seems right. And that is a really great feeling to find again, especially in a music industry that leaves me feeling so astonishingly despondent most of the time. I hate this business. I hate most of the people that work in it. I hate the way we are consuming, with such short attention spans, what takes years to make. I think that it's really dangerous. Yet I couldn't love music and performance and writing more than I do right now. So the catharsis came from the separation of the two.

It's just astonishing that there's so many people in the music industry that just don't care about music. And that's the thing you have to deal with on a daily basis and that's the part no one really explains... And I needed to be able to find a safe zone again in order to write more dangerously. And when I say writing more dangerously, sometimes even not caring if someone thinks it's cool or not is actually the hardest thing in the world. Sometimes the toughest thing in the world to write is tenderness because it leaves you so open to attack, writing about your family, writing about yourself... And those things are really hard to get yourself to do but when you find that safe place then it's okay. And it took me awhile to find that safe place — quite a few years.

EDGE: I'm a big believer in universality by way of specificity and I feel your identity, sexual and otherwise, is such a big part of your music. Do you think it's okay for a recording artist today to be open about their queerness? Or is there still a taboo attached to it?

MIKA: Honestly, I think it's okay. But it doesn't mean that it's simple. There's a very big difference between the two... There are so many decades of media ties to pop culture where heterosexual relationships and love songs and politics have been discussed and everything in very articulate ways and also in trashy ways. The openness of that conversation when it comes to homosexual love and homosexual intimacy, there's just not as many decades where that's been happening in pop culture.

I do think that there's a responsibility to do it the right way. And everybody has their own right way of doing it. It's not a simple thing to do but I don't think there's any problem associated to it anymore. And that is massive for us. But it does mean that there is a responsibility to do it right, do it well. Go there.

More confident

viewimage_story_elemen.thumb.jpg.627512d7f61026ac3b3e40a48eef1507.jpg

EDGE: Like certain artists...

MIKA: I was so incredibly formed and incredibly moved by listening to songwriters who, in my childhood, were confronting those kinds of issues with real complexity and grace. When you listen to some of those early Rufus Wainwright records they are so important when it comes to gay pop music. Those are fundamental records. Because they have all these colors, all these nuances. They're so complex. The references are so large. The world is so deep and big that he's referring to. Everything is possible within there. It's not reductive in any way. And so definitely someone like him is a great example and was very formative when I was younger as to forming my opinion on what part sexuality plays when it comes to writing my music and how much it needs to be a part of it. And everything comes in stages. I think more and more it's getting there. And I've become more and more confident and taking more and more pleasure in using my sexuality in my music without having to fear the consequences at all. Whether it's the opinion of my fans or my family. And that's a great thing to be able to say. And I realize that that is actually a privilege. A, because of the type of music I make. B, because I'm a niche artist. And mostly because I live in countries where I don't have to suffer those consequences... But it's not the case in the rest of the world.

That's why I think it's not simple and there's so much more dialogue to have... And there's so much catching up to do. If the catching up leads us to a place where no longer actually notice the difference and the first thing that comes to mind is not necessarily whether sexual orientation is a heterosexual or homosexual one but all we notice is the beauty of the gesture then I think that that's the destination.

EDGE: So as a queer artist who travels and performs internationally, have you felt any of the discrimination and hate going on in western countries where we never expected it to happen?

MIKA: Yeah. I have. From the online stuff to de-faced or graffiti'd posters, which is stuff that's happened to me before. It's weird because unfortunately I always have my defenses slightly up. And I realize how unhealthy that is. And it doesn't mean that I'm not willing to fight. What's sad is that sometimes you're expecting the fight... I think that we are in a very strange time. We're in such a major transition in a socio-political way and so much that we've taken for granted in terms of western culture and the order of things — the guarantees that our parents grew up expecting, whether in Europe or in the States, a lot of that is being challenged. And in some places undermined. And it's provoking a polarization of attitudes and politics. And when you're going through that kind of polarization, people will grab anything they possibly can to differentiate between the us and the them...

Ambitious tour

viewimage_story_element_php.thumb.jpg.053675067ff27dd2becf1b5e1003c685.jpg

EDGE: Let's talk a bit about the tour. You're kicking off in NYC, doing a few North American dates and then you'll be all over Europe through February. Is this the most ambitious tour yet for you?

MIKA: It's quite ambitious. The venues range from Brooklyn Steel is what 1800 (seats) to 19,000. So it's quite a challenge for my band. I had made some conscious decisions. For example, in America I am showing up with music and that is it. I was like, I've got all these songs and now I'm on my fifth record. I don't want artifice to get in the way of what I have to say. I want this to be a really pure conversation. Not just a performance, an actual conversation with the audience... My name is Michael Holbrook. My legal name. I'm also MIKA. And over the course of an hour and a half I'm going to explain to you why I do what I do... it's an extremely pure tour. Musically, it's very ambitious... sometimes the most surprising thing you can do is simplifying everything so much that it becomes all about emotion and not about artifice.

EDGE: I always have a cherished MIKA song off each album that I play over and over like "Billy Brown," "Blame it on the Girls," etc. On this one I have "Tomorrow" and "Platform Ballerinas." Do you have a favorite?

MIKA: My favorite song is "Blue," because it is the most romantic song. It challenges your preconceptions. And it plays on so many different levels. Blue is about gender, sexuality. It's about the idea that you're only okay if you're so ####ing upbeat and smiling at everyone all the time. When sometimes, actually, that's the biggest sign that you're ####ed up. And it's a love letter to the people that I love in saying that, from the deepest part of my heart, I will always love that blue in you because within that blue is the deepest color and the deepest version of you... It starts off as one thing and ends up as something completely different. And that kind of pirouette is really what makes me happy as a writer and its fun to sing because you're going on a journey.

Broadway next?

viewimage_story_elem.thumb.jpg.3d559c85b1781cafeb0b1f6399347c2b.jpg

EDGE: You write in the paradoxes, in the contradictions, in the multiple meanings. One of the things I love so much about "Tomorrow" is I felt it could be about a one night hook up or about two people who've been dating for a while...

MIKA: Or if you analyze it even closer it could be about a one-night hookup getting back together with someone that you've been with for a very long time but you swore you would never be with again.

EDGE: If you had to choose one artist you'd most like to work with right now who would it be?

MIKA: If I had to choose a classic heritage artist it would have to be... Joan Baez. To me (she's) the underdog of that entire clan who doesn't get as much recognition as I truly think she deserves. She's amazing. And you don't feel evil in her.

And from a younger generation I would adore to work with... I would love to write a musical with Tegan and Sara. That would be fun.

EDGE: Ever think about acting.

MIKA: Working with W.I.Z. is really interesting because he's trying to make me act as much as possible. And he's making me realize that less is more and that the eyes communicate more than the body ever could...

I do want to act more. I would love to be on the stage in America. And I know that I could eat the stage on Broadway... I think it's about the right show. And funnily enough just as W.I.Z. is trying to push me I got these two film propositions from some major directors so weirdly I never thought I would act... but it seems to be heading my way so who knows. Maybe one day.

"My Name is Michael Holbrook" will be released October 4th.

• Like 4

Chloé Elvaraaa made a French translation of this article and asked me to share it on MFC:

Disney rencontre Lars von Trier EDGE:
Sur "Mon nom est Michael Holbrook", vous avez créé ces incroyables chansons à la fois énergiques et mélodiques, mais il y a beaucoup d'angoisse et de noirceur à l'idée d'essayer de naviguer dans la vie. C'est comme si Disney rencontrait Lars von Trier ...
🔵MIKA: C'est tellement drôle ... Je travaille avec un gars appelé W.I.Z., il est réalisateur pour mes clips. Il a fait la vidéo "Tiny Love" et nous faisons une autre vidéo pour la chanson "San Remo", qui est basée sur l'homosexualité dans les années 1960. Tout est vrai, basé sur un vrai film. Et il a dit quelque chose de très similaire à ce que vous avez dit: "Il y a ce genre de conte assez vintage, très sophistiqué, naïf, de Disney, puis un peu le sentiment de Lars von Trier ou de Gus Van Sant lorsque vous écoutez votre musique." ... et vous dites la même chose. Je suis d'accord avec ça à cause de mon processus d'écriture, je ne suis pas sûr de ce que je vais faire. Je pourrais être dans une très mauvaise situation ou même dans un endroit que je n'aime pas ou qui est tellement en colère contre quelqu'un que je ne pourrais pas aller le punir. Et puis quand je passe à travers cette situation, je la traverse et je la traverse. C’est encore plus beau.
Ce mélange paradoxal dans votre travail ...
🔵MIKA: "San Remo" ne parle pas de San Remo du tout, mais de grandir gay et d'être un gay de 13 ans marchant dans les rues de San Remo et se sentant incroyablement intimidé par toute autre présence masculine qui semble plus belle, plus mince, plus hétérosexuelle - juste plus cool et meilleur que vous ne le penseriez jamais. C'est ce dont parle cette chanson. Ce n'est pas évident mais c'est là dans le texte. Pour une chanson comme "Paloma ..." Il s'agit de ma sœur et de la nuit où je l'ai trouvée sur des balustrades, tombée de la fenêtre du quatrième étage de son appartement ... Et je suis pieds nus dans mon boxer . Et elle est en train de mourir sur la rambarde. Et je la regarde, cette situation ... quand j'ai commencé à écrire à ce sujet ...c’ était beau de la voir là dans cette situation la plus grotesque qui soit ... Elle a survécu, c'est pourquoi il est plus facile de voir de la beauté en cette situation. Néanmoins, faire un processus d’écriture comme celui-ci et ne pas être Mika était très important. Être Michael Holbrook, ce mec qui écrit juste des chansons sur lui-même, sur sa vie actuelle, son enfance, les femmes de sa famille - et sur la peur de l'avenir - et de transformer toute cette insécurité en quelque chose de toujours attrayant, supportable et réconfortant et c’est le processus d’écriture de cet album.
EDGE: Avez-vous réalisé une sorte de catharsis et, si oui, quand est-ce qu'elle est arrivée? 🔵MIKA: Oui, je l'ai fait. Je me suis retrouvé à planner. Ce n’était pas la catharsis autant que ça, mais plus le genre de retrouver le sentiment que vous avez lorsque vous commencez à écrire - vous avez 15 ans et vous commencez à écrire et vous obtenez cette ruée vers la dopamine et les endorphines et vous vous sentez comme un million de dollars - un million de dollars ne pourrait jamais vous faire sentir comme vous vous sentez lorsque vous écrivez quelque chose et cela semble simplement « juste » en quelque sorte. Et c'est vraiment un sentiment formidable à retrouver, en particulier dans une industrie de la musique qui me laisse si abasourdi la plupart du temps. Je déteste ce business. Je déteste la plupart des gens qui y travaillent. Je déteste la façon dont nous consommons, avec une si courte durée d'attention, sur des choses qui prennent des années à faire. Je pense que c'est vraiment dangereux. Pourtant, je ne pouvais pas aimer la musique, la performance et l'écriture plus que maintenant. La catharsis est donc née de la séparation des deux. C'est juste étonnant qu'il y ait tellement de personnes dans l'industrie de la musique qui se moquent de la musique. Et c’est la chose à laquelle vous devez faire face quotidiennement et c’est la partie que personne n’explique vraiment ... Et je devais être capable de retrouver une zone de sécurité pour pouvoir écrire plus dangereusement. Et quand je dis écrire plus dangereusement, parfois même ne pas se soucier de savoir si quelqu'un pense que c'est cool ou pas est en fait la chose la plus difficile au monde. Parfois, la chose la plus difficile à écrire au monde est la tendresse, car elle vous laisse si propice et ouvert aux attaques, écrivez à propos de votre famille, écrivez à propos de vous-même ... Et ces choses-là sont vraiment difficiles à obtenir, mais quand vous trouvez cet endroit sûr ça va. Et il m'a fallu un certain temps pour trouver cet endroit sûr - plusieurs années.
EDGE: Je suis un fervent partisan de l’universalité par sa spécificité et j’estime que votre identité, sexuelle ou autre, fait partie intégrante de votre musique. Pensez-vous qu'il est normal qu'un artiste aujourd'hui parle ouvertement de sa différence? Ou y a-t-il encore un tabou qui y est attaché?
🔵MIKA: Honnêtement, je pense que ça va. Mais cela ne veut pas dire que c'est simple. Il y a une très grande différence entre les deux ... Il y a tant de décennies de liens médiatiques avec la culture pop où les relations hétérosexuelles, les chansons d'amour et la politique ont été discutées et le tout de manière très articulée et aussi trash. L'ouverture de cette conversation en ce qui concerne l'amour homosexuel et l'intimité homosexuelle, il n'y a tout simplement pas autant de décennies où cela s'est produit dans la culture pop. Je pense qu'il y a une responsabilité de le faire de la bonne manière. Et chacun a sa propre façon de le faire. Ce n'est pas une chose simple à faire, mais je ne pense pas qu'il y ait plus de problème. Et c'est énorme pour nous. Mais cela signifie qu'il est y a la responsabilité de bien faire les choses.
Plus confiant
EDGE: Comme certains artistes ...
🔵MIKA: J'ai été incroyablement formé et ému en écoutant des auteurs-compositeurs qui, dans mon enfance, étaient confrontés à ce genre de problèmes avec une complexité et une grâce réelles. Lorsque vous écoutez certains des premiers disques de Rufus Wainwright, ils sont si importants pour la musique pop gay. Ce sont des documents fondamentaux. Parce qu'ils ont toutes ces couleurs, toutes ces nuances. Ils sont tellement complexes. Les références sont si grandes. Le monde auquel il réfère est si profond et grand. Tout est possible ici. Ce n'est pas réducteur en aucune façon. Et si bien que quelqu'un comme lui est un bon exemple et a été très formateur quand j'étais plus jeune, pour pouvoir me faire une idée du rôle que joue la sexualité dans l'écriture de ma musique et à quel point elle doit en faire partie. Et tout vient par étapes. Je pense on y arrive de plus en plus. Et je suis devenu de plus en plus confiant et je prends de plus en plus de plaisir à utiliser ma sexualité dans ma musique sans avoir à en craindre les conséquences. Que ce soit l'opinion de mes fans ou de ma famille. Et c'est une bonne chose à pouvoir dire. Et je me rends compte que c'est en fait un privilège. 1) à cause du type de musique que je fais. 2), parce que je suis un artiste de niche. Et surtout parce que je vis dans des pays où je ne subis pas ces conséquences ... Mais ce n'est pas le cas dans le reste du monde. C'est pourquoi je pense que ce n'est pas simple et qu'il y a tellement plus de dialogue à avoir ... Et il y a tellement de rattrapage à faire. Si le rattrapage nous mène à un endroit où nous ne remarquons plus vraiment la différence et que la première chose qui nous vient à l’esprit n’est pas nécessairement de savoir si l’orientation sexuelle est hétérosexuelle ou homosexuelle mais si nous ne remarquons que la beauté du geste, alors je pense que c'est la destination où nous devons aller
EDGE: Donc, en tant qu’artiste « queer » (etrange/différent) qui voyage et joue sur la scène internationale, avez-vous ressenti la discrimination et la haine qui règnent dans les pays occidentaux où nous ne nous attendions pas à ce que cela se produise?
🔵MIKA: Oui. J'ai ressenti. Des trucs sur internet aux affiches promo souillées ou graffitis, ce sont des choses qui me sont  déjà arrivées. C'est bizarre parce que, malheureusement, mes défenses sont toujours légèrement relevées. Et je me rends compte à quel point c'est malsain. Et ça ne veut pas dire que je ne veuille pas me battre. Ce qui est triste, c'est que parfois, vous vous attendez au combat ... Je pense que nous vivons une période très étrange. Nous sommes dans une transition socio-politique si importante que nous avons tenu pour acquis que la culture et l'ordre occidentaux soient pris en compte - les garanties avec lesquelles nos parents ont grandi en s'attendant, que ce soit en Europe ou dans les Etats Unis, une grande partie de tout cela est challengé. Et dans certains endroits carrément « terrain miné ». Et cela provoque une polarisation des attitudes et de la politique. Et quand vous traverserez ce genre de polarisation, les gens saisiront tout ce qui est en leur pouvoir pour faire la différence entre nous et eux ...
Une tournée ambitieuse
EDGE: Parlons un peu de la tournée. Vous débutez à New York, vous faites quelques dates en Amérique du Nord et vous ferez ensuite le tour de l'Europe jusqu'en février. Est-ce la tournée la plus ambitieuse à ce jour pour vous?
🔵MIKA: C'est assez ambitieux. Le nombre de sites varie de Brooklyn Steel à 1800 personnes jusqu’à 19 000 ensuite. C'est donc tout un défi pour mon groupe. J'avais pris des décisions conscientes. Par exemple, en Amérique, j'arrive avec de la musique et c'est tout. Je me dis, j'ai toutes ces chansons et maintenant j’en suis à mon cinquième album. Je ne veux pas que des artifices gênent ce que j'ai à dire. Je veux que cette conversation soit vraiment pure. Pas simplement une performance, mais une conversation avec le public ... Je m'appelle Michael Holbrook. Mon nom légal Je suis aussi MIKA. Et pendant une heure et demie, je vais vous expliquer pourquoi je fais ce que je fais ... c'est une tournée extrêmement pure. Musicalement, c'est très ambitieux ... Parfois, la chose la plus surprenante que vous puissiez faire est de tout simplifier au point de devenir une émotion et non un artifice.
EDGE: J'ai toujours une chanson préférée de 🔵MIKA sur chaque album que j’écoute encore et encore, comme "Billy Brown", "Blame it on the Girls", etc. Sur celui-ci, j'ai "Tomorrow" et "Platform Ballerinas". Avez-vous une préférée?
MIKA: Ma chanson préférée est "Blue", car c'est la chanson la plus romantique. Cela défie vos idées préconçues. Et cela joue à tant de niveaux différents. Le bleu concerne le genre, la sexualité. Il s’agit de l’idée que vous n’allez pas bien si vous êtes aussi optimiste et souriant à tout le monde. Quand parfois, en fait, c'est le plus gros signe que vous êtes foutu. Et c’est une lettre d’amour aux gens que j’aime en disant que, du plus profond de mon cœur, j’aimerai toujours ce bleu en vous car dans ce bleu se trouve la couleur la plus profonde et la version la plus profonde de vous ... Cela commence comme une chose et finit par être quelque chose de complètement différent. Et ce genre de pirouette est vraiment ce qui me rend heureux en tant qu'écrivain et c'est amusant à chanter parce que vous partez en voyage.
Broadway ensuite?
EDGE: Vous écrivez dans les paradoxes, dans les contradictions, dans les sens multiples. Une des choses que j'aime tant dans «Tomorrow », c'est que j'ai pensé qu'il pourrait s'agir d'un coup d’un soir ou de deux personnes qui sortaient ensemble depuis un moment ...
🔵MIKA: Ou si vous analysez la situation de plus près, il pourrait s'agir d'un coup d'un soir « rabibochage », avec quelqu'un avec qui vous êtes depuis très longtemps mais avec qui vous aviez juré de ne plus jamais être
EDGE: Si vous deviez choisir un artiste avec lequel vous aimeriez le plus travailler maintenant, qui choisiriez-vous?
🔵MIKA: Si je devais choisir un artiste classique du patrimoine, ce serait ... Joan Baez. Pour moi elle est l'opprimée de tout ce clan qui ne reçoit pas autant de reconnaissance que je pense vraiment qu'elle mérite. Elle est incroyable. Et vous ne vous sentez pas de mal en elle. Et d’ une génération plus jeune, j'adorerais travailler avec elle... J'aimerais écrire une comédie musicale avec Tegan et Sara. Ce serait amusant.
EDGE: Tu as déjà pensé être acteur ?
🔵MIKA: Travailler avec W.I.Z. C'est vraiment intéressant parce qu'il essaie de me faire jouer le plus possible. Et il me fait comprendre que « moins c'est plus » et que les yeux communiquent plus que le corps ne le pourrait jamais ... Je veux jouer plus. J'aimerais être sur la scène en Amérique. Et je sais que je pourrais bouffer la scène à Broadway ... Je pense que c’est surtout qu’il faut trouver le « bon spectacle ». Et curieusement, alors que W.I.Z. essaie de me pousser dans cette direction justement, j’ai reçu ces deux propositions de film de la part de grands réalisateurs. Bizarrement, je ne pensais pas que je jouerais ... Peut-être un jour.

@Elvaraaa

• Like 5

PRESS PARTY

🔵July 9, 2019 ET

Press Release: MIKA ANNOUNCES THE TINY LOVE TINY TOUR ACROSS NORTH AMERICA THIS FALL

MIKA ANNOUNCES THE TINY LOVE TINY TOUR ACROSS NORTH AMERICA THIS FALL: Pressparty

“‘Ice Cream’ Is Summer-Anthem Bait” – Rolling Stone

““Ice Cream,” a sugar-sweet, carefree and upbeat summer bop” – TIME

“The song is a scorcher from its opening bars…” – Billboard

“a sexy, summery bop” – PAPER

NEW YORK, NY ( July 9, 2019) – This fall, critically acclaimed platinum-selling international pop maverick MIKA returns to North America for The Tiny Love Tiny Tour . The headline run sees him perform in venues coast-to-coast, kicking off September 13th at Brooklyn Steel in New York, NY, visiting major markets, and concluding September 24th at Plaza Condesa in Mexico City, MX. General ticket on-sale begins Friday, July 12 at 10am local time. The full confirmed itinerary can be found below.

He recently served up a new single and music video entitled “Ice Cream, ” and it continues to heat up. Right out of the gate, the song received widespread acclaim from Rolling Stone, Billboard, TIME, and Paper and racked up 1.5 million cumulative streams and 500K YouTube views on the nostalgic sun-soaked cinematic music video .

Get it BELOW via Republic Records/ Casablanca Records

“Ice Cream” heralds the arrival of his anxiously awaited new full-length, My Name Is Michael Holbrook — coming October 4.

MIKA’s musical success began with the release of his hit single, “Grace Kelly.” The single was featured on his debut album, Life In Cartoon Motion , which went straight to #1 in the UK and 11 other countries, going on to sell over 7 million copies worldwide. Since his debut he has released three other Platinum selling full length albums, The Boy Who Knew Too Much , The Origin of Love , and No Place In Heaven . In addition, MIKA has not only won a Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act, but he has been nominated for Grammys, MTV Europe Music Awards, Capital Radio Awards and World Music Awards. Additionally, his Rai 2 primetime variety show “Stasera Casa Mika” won the prestigious Rose D’or Award for Best Entertainment Series in 2017. He has been a judge on France’s The Voice for six years and hosts his own BBC2 Radio show “The Art of Song”.

🔵August 16, 2019 ET

Press Release: Global superstar Mika debuts new single "Tiny Love"

Global superstar Mika debuts new single

Critically acclaimed, platinum-selling, global pop star MIKA debuts a new single “Tiny Love” today, alongside a W.I.Z.-directed video. Listen/share BELOW and watch the video BELOW. The track is the second single from MIKA’s highly anticipated new album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, out October 4.

Of the track, MIKA says, "The most important thing in the world is the love we have for those around us, the love others offer us and the love we have for ourselves. That love can feel so massive and yet at the same time it’s so tiny and imperceivable to others. This song is a conscious decision to provoke that emotion. I knew I needed a different sort of director for this video, more art and film based. W.I.Z. was the perfect choice. From every detail in pre-production, to the art direction and casting, he has one thing in mind; to illustrate a complex narrative that he has written in his head. I am very proud of what he has made. An emotionally epic video for a song full of heart and love. Huge and Tiny at the same time."

In celebration of the release, MIKA will make a long-awaited return to North America with the Tiny Love Tiny Tour this fall. The headline run kicks off with a show at New York City’s Brooklyn Steel on September 12. He then heads to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Montreal, before jetting overseas for a massive European arena tour. Tickets are on sale now, see below for a complete itinerary.

MIKA recently debuted the first single “Ice Cream” from the new album, which Rolling Stone dubbed “Summer-Anthem Bait” and TIME calls “a sugar-sweet, carefree and upbeat summer bop.” The track has been streamed 1.5 million times to date and continues to receive rave reviews. Check out the music video BELOW.

For his first full length in five years, MIKA explores his American heritage on My Name Is Michael Holbrook. While his tumultuous childhood began in Lebanon before fleeing to Paris and then London, he focuses the album on the roots he traces back to his father’s Savannah, Georgia upbringing. The work also paints a loving picture of his relationship with his mother, the woman who trained him, made his wardrobe for years on the road and most importantly taught him never to follow and always to express himself fearlessly. After writing in home studios in Miami and Tuscany over the course of two years, MIKA went to Brussels to record with producers Marc Crew and Dan Priddy.

Born Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr. in 1983 as the third of five children, MIKA started vocal lessons at seven years old. Learning to play piano and write songs while showing otherworldly vocal range, MIKA quickly became a young virtuoso.

MIKA’s musical success began with the release of his hit single, “Grace Kelly.” The single was featured on his debut album, Life In Cartoon Motion, which went straight to #1 in the UK and 11 other countries, going on to sell over seven million copies worldwide.

Since his debut he has released three other Platinum selling full length albums, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, The Origin of Love, and No Place In Heaven.

In addition, MIKA has not only won a Brit Award for British Breakthrough Act, but he has also been nominated for Grammys, MTV Europe Music Awards, Capital Radio Awards and World Music Awards.

Additionally, his RA12 primetime variety show “Stasera Casa Mika” won the prestigious Rose D’or Award for Best Entertainment Series in 2017. Furthermore, he has been a judge on France’s The Voice for six years and hosts his own BBC2 Radio show “The Art of Song.”

🔵September 6, 2019 ET

Press Release: MIKA DEBUTS NEW SONG “SANREMO” TODAY

MIKA DEBUTS NEW SONG “SANREMO” TODAY

FIRST STUDIO ALBUM IN FIVE YEARS, MY NAME IS MICHAEL HOLBROOK, DUE OCTOBER 4

SOLD-OUT NORTH AMERICAN TOUR KICKS OFF NEXT WEEK IN NEW YORK

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

NEWS PROVIDED BY
Republic Records

Critically acclaimed, platinum-selling, global pop star MIKA debuts a new song “Sanremo” today

The track follows the release of “Ice Cream” and “Tiny Love” from MIKA’s highly anticipated new album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, out October 4.

Pre-order the album below. Idolator proclaims, “[MIKA is] making up for a long gap between projects…by gracing our ears with a couple bops ahead of the release date."

In celebration of the forthcoming album, MIKA will make a long-awaited return to North America on his sold-out Tiny Love Tiny Tour with opening support from Kiesza on all U.S. and Canadian dates. The headline run kicks off with back-to-back shows at New York City’s Brooklyn Steel on September 12 and 13 with further dates in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Montreal. Tickets are on sale now, see below for a complete itinerary.

For his first full length in five years, MIKA explores his American heritage on My Name Is Michael Holbrook. While his tumultuous childhood began in Lebanon before fleeing to Paris and then London, he focuses the album on the roots he traces back to his father’s Savannah, Georgia upbringing. The work also paints a loving picture of his relationship with his mother, the woman who trained him, made his wardrobe for years on the road and most importantly taught him never to follow and always to express himself fearlessly.

After writing in home studios in Miami and Tuscany over the course of two years, MIKA went to Brussels to record with producers Marc Crew and Dan Priddy.

• Like 1

Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mika-ice-cream-lyric-video-842886/

May 31, 2019 3:44PM ET

Mika’s New Song ‘Ice Cream’ Is Summer-Anthem Bait
My Name Is Michael Holbrook, singer’s first album in four years, arrives in October

Mika has unveiled the video for his new summer-ready anthem “Ice Cream,” the first single off the Lebanese-English singer’s upcoming fifth record, My Name Is Michael Holbrook. The album, due out October 4th, marks Mika’s first LP since 2015’s No Place in Heaven.

On the lead single “Ice Cream,” Mika told Rolling Stone via email, “‘Ice Cream’ was written on a day of extreme heat. It was the last few weeks of writing for the album; a writing period that lasted two years. Through the writing I had confronted personal, serious and at times painful issues, now I felt lighter and freer.”

Mika added that the song came about during an August trip to Italy, and was partially inspired by “the irreverent attitude of the music of the 90s,” including the music made by George Michael during that time.

“Dare to be the more proud version of yourself,” he says. “Dare to be a sensual man, dare to express out loud the desires you always keep inside your head. That’s why and how I wrote it.”

GettyImages-533132542.thumb.jpg.ae67faa0d6eae03745250f296e0db708.jpg

• Like 1

Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/mika-tiny-love-big-girl-seth-meyers-883462/

September 12, 2019 11:39AM ET

15 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Rolling Stone

September 12, 2019 11:39AM ET

Watch Mika Play ‘Tiny Love,’ ‘Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)’ on ‘Seth Meyers’
The British singer’s tour supporting his upcoming fifth LP, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, starts tonight

Mika ventured from piano balladry to disco grooves on Wednesday’s Late Night With Seth Meyers, performing a pair of crowd-pleasing songs, “Tiny Love” and “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful).”

Mika adopted more glam-rock showmanship for “Big Girl,” clapping and dancing as he belted over pulsing funk bass and a four-on-the-floor drum pattern.

“Tiny Love,” along with recently issued cuts “Ice Cream” and “Sanremo,” appear on Mika’s upcoming fifth LP, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, out October 4th.

He will promote the album on a North American/European tour that launches September 12th in New York City.

EETzT7SU4AEUTpA.thumb.jpg.0311adfdfbdb39aeae2d75f957e4946a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://ventsmagazine.com/2019/09/20/mika-premieres-new-song-tomorrow/

MIKA PREMIERES NEW SONG “TOMORROW”

MIKA premieres a new song, “Tomorrow,” from his forthcoming record, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, set for release on October 4Listen the track HEREPre-order the album HERE.

For his first full length in five years, MIKA explores his American heritage on My Name Is Michael Holbrook. While his tumultuous childhood began in Lebanon before fleeing to Paris and then London, he focuses the album on the roots he traces back to his father’s Savannah, Georgia upbringing. The work also paints a loving picture of his relationship with his mother, the woman who trained him, made his wardrobe for years on the road and most importantly taught him never to follow and always to express himself fearlessly. After writing in home studios in Miami and Tuscany over the course of two years, MIKA went to Brussels to record with producers Marc Crew and Dan Priddy.

• Like 1