Attitude

https://attitude.co.uk/article/mika-goes-cruising-in-his-new-video-for-single-sanremo-watch/21982/

Mika goes cruising in his new video for single 'Sanremo' - WATCH

The new video was directed by W.I.Z

2019-10-08

Words: Steve Brown

Mika goes cruising in his new video for his latest single ‘Sanremo’.

The new single comes from Mika’s brand-new album ‘My Name is Michael Holbrook’ and in the new video – directed by W.I.Z - we see the singer/songwriter leave his wife and daughter to visit an underground gay cruising area where a sailor is seen pour milk down over men.

W.I.Z told Billboard: “[The clip takes place in] an era when homosexuality, if not illegal, was socially unacceptable, a time of discrimination and persecution.

“‘Sanremo’ represents his utopian dream, a fictional place of liberation and transcendence.”

Mika, who has appeared as a judge on The X Factor Italy and The Voice France in recent years, is set to return to London next month to play a show at the Shepherd’s Bush Empire, before embarking on a Europe-wide series of shows as part of his not-so-tiny 'Tiny Love Tiny Tour'.

The album is Mika’s first full-length record since 2015's No Place in Heaven.

Watch the video to the new single below:

• Thanks 1

EQ MUSIC

https://eqmusicblog.com/watch-sanremo-mika/#

Watch “Sanremo” by Mika

October 9, 2019

I hadn’t realised how special, the Mika track “Sanremo” is until I checked out the accompanying music video. The single released in support of the singer’s fifth studio album “My Name Is Michael Holbrook” is unlike anything he has touched upon before. The track is tender, with a gently swaying melody and breezy synths. It has a sophisticated elegance and shows Mika under a different light to that which we have come to know. Don’t be too quick to adjust your expectations of this track, because the famous Mika sparkle, definitely, still exists.

For the album “My Name Is Michael Holbrook,” Mika intended to write about life as it happened. Commenting it is

“a sort of album, made in ‘real-time.’ It’s an explosion of joy, colour and emotion even though it was born in one of the most challenging periods for my family and I. Writing and recording this album was a form of medicine for me and my family. It is so, deeply personal, but also universal.”

He really, couldn’t make a bigger statement, than that which he brings to the spotlight via “Sanremo.” The WIZ directed video footage gets straight to the heart of what Mika wants to express. The clip purposefully shot in black and white for an added vintage feel shows the singer lovingly saying goodbye to his wife and child. There is a sadness in his eyes throughout this solemn exchange. Handily there is a narrator on board to fill us in on the true essence of the unfolding story, which in turn opens up a discussion focused around attitudes to homosexuality during the 1950s. The clip then goes on to follow Mika as he ventures out into the Italian city where he explores these desires further.

We are used to seeing distinctive, videos from the singer, “Sanremo” has a different kind of boldness to anything Mika has put out before. It is touching and tender, brings deep feelings to the surface and is an incredibly affecting watch.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mellody said:

Retweet by Mika:

I hope we'll be able to watch the show here in a few days:

https://www.itv.com/hub/lorraine/1a9360a2513 (although it seems it's only viewable from the UK).

Did any of you watch it this morning? Any news in this interview?

Here is their YouTube channel, hope it will be upload.

Lorraine

https://www.youtube.com/user/lorraine/videos

• Like 4

Lorraine

on 10 October 2019

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Lorraine

on 10 October 2019

I wonder what is on the other side of the Attitud cover that Mika don't want to show to his mom ????:das:

• Haha 1

Thanks a million Eriko :hug::flowers2:I really wanted to see it so much.

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

Daily Mail

Scotish Daily Mail

Irish Daily Mail

Published: 01:57 BST, 11 October 2019 | Updated: 01:59 BST, 11 October 2019

MIKA: My Name Is Michael Holbrook (Virgin EMI)

Verdict: Confessional comeback 

Mika topped the charts with his debut album and was subsequently crowned best breakthrough act at the BRITs, but has largely disappeared from view since his fourth album No Place In Heaven in 2015.

The singer-songwriter, who was born in Beirut and raised in Paris before his parents moved to London when he was nine, has actually been hard at work outside the UK, maintaining his profile as a judge on The X Factor in Italy and The Voice in France while continuing to tour.

He’s now back with an album that revisits the theatrics of 2007’s Life In Cartoon Motion.

Working with Bastille producer Mark Crew and co-writers including former Fame Academy winner David Sneddon and Ed Sheeran associate Amy Wadge, his big-hearted songs are distinctive but can sometimes be overcooked. Tiny Love, built around a pounding piano, Bohemian Rhapsody guitars and lush harmonies, typifies his baroque extravagance. It’s even reprised with strings and a children’s choir.

Elsewhere, Stay High is a lively soul pastiche and Sanremo a sunny pop number in the style of Club Tropicana by Wham!.

Mika, 36, admits to having faced ‘painful issues’, and his personal songs resonate.

Ready To Call This Love is a potent duet with Jack Savoretti, while Paloma addresses the trauma of nearly losing his sister, who fell from a tall building in 2010, an incident so harrowing he has only been able to write about it now.

Mika plays Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London, on November 10 (mikasounds.com)

19565986-0-image-a-33_1570754506640.jpg.0c31fadb1a7ea80b93ead15035c93a29.jpg

paper

2019-10-11_DailyMail.thumb.jpg.bcacad808528e2708be79a728d8b92dd.jpg

2019-10-11_DailyMail-mika.thumb.jpg.6a9074b37b98799f69cb814f2eb4d11b.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz

I was just going to post this :naughty:

• Haha 1

The Courier online

http://www.thecourieronline.co.uk/review-mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook/

Review: MIKA- My Name Is Michael Holbrook

In My Name Is Michael Holbrook, MIKA returns to his roots with an album possessing tracks with the same energetic feel  of his debut album Life in Cartoon Motion 

However, in his fifth album, the artist also explores some darker undertones that stray from his usual positive style.

‘Paloma’ is easily the most touching track, a song dedicated to MIKA’s sister who fell out of a window in 2010 and sustained life-threatening injuries. “My Paloma, where is a broken dove to go?” sings MIKA, “Oh Paloma, if only you had let me know.”

With ‘Dear, Jealousy,’ he personifies jealousy as a third person who has entered his romantic relationship and he questions past life decisions.

The album also features several romantic songs. The opening song ‘Tiny Love’ calls to the importance of a realistic and even “mundane” affectionate relationship with a positive energy. ‘Ready to Call This Love’ is a ballad where MIKA is calling to his lover to reach the same place where MIKA is emotionally. “Take your time if you need it/ But don’t wait when you know you feel it/ And you’re ready to call/ Ready to call this love.”

In contrast to the sentimental love songs, ‘Ice Cream’ is dripping in sexual innuendos amongst synth hooks that make the track seem as if it could be a lost 90’s pop song.

‘Platform Ballerinas’ offers empowering lyrics that celebrates female individuality and openly confronts the expectations for women to appear perfect and put together all the time.

Throughout the album, MIKA manages to showcase his vocal range in both his upbeat tracks and his somber ballads.

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1