My Name Is Michael Holbrook - Mika's new album 2019

mellody

I think he will certainly sing Tiny Love at every gig of this tour. And Tomorrow as well. I'd be surprised if he didn't choose these two for sure.

Maybe will also sing Sanremo and Stay High. :dunno: For the others I don't really know... he has to choose from five albums now so the time will be limited. :naughty:

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Starlight said:

I think he will certainly sing Tiny Love at every gig of this tour. And Tomorrow as well. I'd be surprised if he didn't choose these two for sure.

Maybe will also sing Sanremo and Stay High. :dunno: For the others I don't really know... he has to choose from five albums now so the time will be limited. :naughty:

I hope for Platform Ballerinas and Dear Jealousy as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

Which songs do you think he will sing on Revelation tour?  Apart form the classic hits. smilie_denk_49.gif

The singles (Tiny Love, Ice Cream, Dear Jealousy, Tomorrow, Sanremo) and probably Blue and at least a part of Stay High... Maybe sometimes he will skip one of those songs. I also hope for Platform Ballerinas. From the other albums, I think unfortunately there still will be many songs from LICM (for me, Happy Ending and Love Today would be enough to be honest). I'm a bit afraid there won't be any songs from NPIH and also TBWKTM, probably only WAG has a chance to make the setlist. From TOOL I expect OOL, Underwater and EMD, at least in French speaking countries. The same with BBB, it seems, he likes to sing it live. However, I hope he will surprise us with some songs from the new album he didn't perform live yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

The singles (Tiny Love, Ice Cream, Dear Jealousy, Tomorrow, Sanremo) and probably Blue and at least a part of Stay High... Maybe sometimes he will skip one of those songs. I also hope for Platform Ballerinas. From the other albums, I think unfortunately there still will be many songs from LICM (for me, Happy Ending and Love Today would be enough to be honest). I'm a bit afraid there won't be any songs from NPIH and also TBWKTM, probably only WAG has a chance to make the setlist. From TOOL I expect OOL, Underwater and EMD, at least in French speaking countries. The same with BBB, it seems, he likes to sing it live. However, I hope he will surprise us with some songs from the new album he didn't perform live yet. 

Good choice. From LICM I'm tired of BG again and again :sweatdrop:

That's sad. I would like to hear No Place In Heaven song and Staring At The Sun

Underwater it's a classic as EMD, he sang them last tour

And probably he sings LYL in Spain due to the beer ad 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

16 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Good choice. From LICM I'm tired of BG again and again :sweatdrop:

That's sad. I would like to hear No Place In Heaven song and Staring At The Sun

Tired of Lollipop as well …….:naughty:

I think that he has to sing "Relax" because it was probably his greatest hit and I also hope for some songs from NPIH 

I think that "All she want's" would be perfect with the new songs 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

From LICM I'm tired of BG again and again :sweatdrop:

It would be great if he would replace BG with Platform Ballerinas! :pray: 

14 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

That's sad. I would like to hear No Place In Heaven song

I'd like to hear any song from NPIH, I hope he adds at least Good Guys to the setlist! Even Last Party or NPIH would be great. My dream is Hurts, Good Wife or All She Wants but that doesn't seem realistic. 

18 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

I also think in French speaking countries he can add a French song as Les Baisers Perdus and in Italy Domani, maybe he will sing part of the song in English and part of it in Italian, like he does with GK in France sometimes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Which songs do you think he will sing on Revelation tour?  Apart form the classic hits. smilie_denk_49.gif

I think it depends on the country, as he said different countries requested different songs as singles. So in London it'd be Sanremo, in Italy Tomorrow / Domani (maybe he'll sing it half English / half Italian, so he won't have to remember all the lyrics :teehee:), and yes, in France he'll probably do EMD or BBB.

Apart from that, I expect a setlist similar to the NA gigs, with Jealousy, Tiny Love and Ice Cream. I just hope he sings all of Stay High and exchanges Big Girl for Platform Ballerinas, and Popular Song & Lollipop for other songs. Pretty sure he won't sing Popular Song in Europe, so maybe we can hope for one more new song compared to NA, but I guess BG and Lollipop will stay. :dunno:

edit: Lol @giraffeandy it seems we had the same thoughts! :lol3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes @carafonI'm also tired of Lollipop. And totally agree with you @giraffeandy Platform Ballerinas instead BG.

As the tour it is to promote the new album, I think he should play most of it. Then a couple of LICM and make a mix of the other albums. But maybe I ask too much and he could spend 4 hours singing. Tired for him but a blink of an eye for us. :biggrin2:

*Mika if you are reading this, take note* :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

iTunes chart performance

http://www.itunescharts.net/fra/artists/music/mika/albums/my-name-is-michael-holbrook/

:france:FRANCE

• Chart debut: #1 (04 Oct 2019) :winner_first_h4h:
  • Highest Position: #1 (04 Oct 2019)
  • Most recent chart position: #55 (24 Oct 2019)
  • Days on French Albums Chart: 21

FRANCE.thumb.png.d405c6b99d5cf2b7ff1cdc321ef3b4fa.png

:italia: ITALIA

• Chart debut: #4 (04 Oct 2019)
  • Highest Position: #3 (09 Oct 2019)
  • Most recent chart position: #52 (24 Oct 2019)
  • Days on Italian Albums Chart: 26

ITALIA.thumb.png.9c4520941c36983b74d2337184f1133f.png

:uk: UK

• Chart debut: #16 (04 Oct 2019)
  • Highest Position: #9 (05 Oct 2019)
  • Most recent chart position: #75 (14 Oct 2019)
  • Days on UK Albums Chart: 12

UK.thumb.png.0dd117c24d0384e506c8bea12daad5ee.png

:usa: USA

• Chart debut: #27 (04 Oct 2019)
  • Highest Position: #27 (04 Oct 2019)
  • Most recent chart position: #92 (10 Oct 2019)
  • Days on US Albums Chart: 8

US.thumb.png.375d5c7300335c464c6276d1c9de28a5.png

:spain: SPAIN

• Chart debut: #8 (04 Oct 2019)
  • Highest Position: #6 (06 Oct 2019)
  • Most recent chart position: #20 (21 Oct 2019)
  • Days on Spanish Albums Chart: 12

SPAIN.thumb.png.2fca6730e2ca38c684f9c1d2c65b8d1e.png

:aussie: Australia

• Chart debut: #6 (03 Oct 2019)
  • Highest Position: #6 (03 Oct 2019)
  • Most recent chart position: #89 (09 Oct 2019)
  • Days on Australian Albums Chart: 8

AUSTRALIA.thumb.png.81de0ac96320c4978efa1e1d6f1cb663.png

CANADA.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dan Priddy posts

It was an incredible journey producing Mika’s new album ‘My Name is Michael Holbrook’ with @markbcrew .

Thank you so much to @mikainstagram for having us in the production seat for the whole album and we got to also co-write ‘Stay High’ and ‘Cry’ with Mika.

Incredibly proud of the album go check it out if you haven’t already!

71894294_710352759449249_2009843753463619558_n.thumb.jpg.cc8396801c660ea56d17da18772960e8.jpg

74656676_145947620084408_7571413949817723732_n.thumb.jpg.1b2d9b1aa4655b8ebd93f8e9a9d0ac65.jpg

75595200_457112475162858_6206500342007823281_n.thumb.jpg.e1d46bf21f1f63a204a49645081766ab.jpg

72490023_150438209538882_2991403054220157728_n.thumb.jpg.1a3ba8f8410e53e29c7468bf733b0876.jpg

74965351_160375635051641_2774068599895881590_n.thumb.jpg.0d2859f5167aebec055076821fc257bc.jpg

• Like 4

https://www.gigwise.com/reviews/3361309/album-review-mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook

‘MIKA is much better whilst basking in the glory of the sun than in the dank undertones of the city’

In 2007 MIKA was in his prime, releasing his debut album Life In Cartoon Motion. Each track was brought to life by MIKA’s flamboyant, invigorating energy and Mercury-esque vocals creating a style that was not just fun but refreshingly uplifting. 

Now his fifth album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, may suggest an entirely intrinsic theme but in making such a personal record, the themes ironically still seem universal. There is a thorough conversation about sex and love MIKA presides over on this album, one that explores desire and affection without suffocating in its own veiled mystique of perfume. He offers both ends of the romantic spectrum, tracks such as ‘Tiny Love’, see grandiose romantic gestures thrown out of the window for a type of affection that feels grounded and realistic, more cuddle on the couch than serenade on the balcony.

Alternatively, there are innuendos abound on ‘Ice Cream’, “the faucet keeps on drippin” just one teaser of the song’s flirtatious, sexual instincts that come entwined with synth hooks nodding back to 80s and 90s pop. Since the release of Life In Cartoon Motion, MIKA’s presence in the mainstream gaze has been lessened despite his second album The Boy Who Knew Too Much cracking the UK top 10, his efforts since have seen a steady decline in sales.

However, My Name Is Michael Holbrook recaptures the essence of MIKA’s first two albums, no more so than on ‘Platform Ballerinas’. Which can be described as the Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)’ of this album, with its frankly empowering lyrics about the beauty standards forced onto women by society and the expectations to look perfect 24/7 whilst acting in a “girly” manner. ‘Platform Ballerinas’ celebrates female individuality within a rush of endorphins generated by the cacophonous backing harmonies. 

Despite being known for exhibiting a force of positivity, the musician explores some darker tones to differing levels of effect. ‘Paloma’ is about MIKA’s sister, who in 2010 unfortunately fell out of a window and sustained life-threatening injuries. He depicts her as angelic, before being thrown from a skyline that cracks and shatters as if it was a snow globe before eventually returning to rise again by the songs end. The most emotionally affecting track, it is a heartfelt ode to his sister.

There are other tracks where MIKA’s usual outpours of positivity are stifled. ‘Cry’ is underlined with the kind of synth tones you’d expect in a risqué nightclub as he tries his hand at R&B but on an album where interesting conversations and perspectives on love are offered up so freely, this track leaves a little to be desired. As with the soulful track ‘Blue’, where conflated ideas around the connotations of the colour become a little muddled. MIKA is much better whilst basking in the glory of the sun than in the dank undertones of the city. 

When the singer is projecting his unbridled positivity, not many pop artists can come close to being as inspiring or unifying, at its most complex My Name Is Michael Holbrook explores love, sexuality and social norms under the guise of either seductive, harmony-driven synth pop or sultry nocturnal R&B. “Our generation has so much gloom”, MIKA sings on ‘Stay High’ but he rarely steps into the oblique zeitgeist, instead choosing to yet again deliver us blissful pop music.

• Like 1