My Name Is Michael Holbrook - Mika's new album 2019

mellody

5 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Mine is Blue

2 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I mostly skip Ready To Call This Love... 

I like them both. :aah: I mostly skip Cry... Although I can't say I wouldn't like it.

• Like 1

For me it mostly depends on my mood now, which songs I listen to. My most played ones are Tiny Love, Dear Jealousy and Stay High, closely followed by Platform Ballerinas, Paloma and I went to hell last night. But I listen to Cry even more now than for example to Sanremo, because somehow it bothers me that I don't know what this song is about. The lyrics touch me somehow, I want to know who or what makes him feel most alone and causes him so much pain. :tears: Or maybe it's written from another person's perspective. I guess I won't find out unless he decides to let us know, but anyway, while Cry is still my least fave song on the album musically, I like listening to it for the lyrics. For some songs it's very clear what they mean, for others I found an interpretation I'm happy with (like Tiny Love or Stay High), for some I don't care because I feel it's not relevant for me - for example, whom exactly Blue is about.

It's interesting with this album, while I always listenened to the other albums from beginning to end, maybe with skipping one or two songs, of this one I choose the songs according to my current mood. There's not one that I mostly skip, but I often like to listen to the lyrics of most of the songs more closely, instead of just having the album as background music in the car.

• Like 3

I only just realized that on the back of the album cover there's the number 1983, for Mika's birth year. :aah: I had been wondering about the bit with the neon 8 on the front cover, already thought it was something about the 80s, but I've never taken a closer look at the back of the booklet so far! :doh:

Also I had an idea for the tiger yesterday, I never understood so far why a tiger would represent Mika... But I've recently read an article about the "tiger mum" Amy Chua, who wrote a book about training her kids in music, actually forcing them to learn, whether they wanted or not. And well, I see some analogy there...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 12:55 PM, mellody said:

Also I had an idea for the tiger yesterday, I never understood so far why a tiger would represent Mika...

I dont know why but when I saw that tiger on the cover I immediately thought of the song Eye of the Tiger

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

here's mine...

IMG_20200308_114348.thumb.jpg.e7daac929e4fa6c790b26d1139bf0f71 (1).jpg

btw this is only compared other Mika songs. my jars for almost all other other non-mika albums would be pretty much empty xD

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kreacher said:

btw this is only compared other Mika songs. my jars for almost all other other non-mika albums would be pretty much empty xD

Yeah they have these for the other Mika albums as well, but I had no time for that yet - As MNIMH is my fave Mika album, I thought it can't hurt to fill up all the glasses pretty much, but I might change it once I did this for the other albums. :teehee:

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

How many times did you listen this album? Is it the album you have listened the most?

To be honest I can't say how many times I've listened to it so far. When it came out I've been listening to it and nothing else for like some weeks. :aah:

But I guess the album I've listened to the most of all is still LICM. :yes:

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

How many times did you listen this album? Is it the album you have listened the most?

Idk because often I just listen to some songs from the album and not to the entire tracklist but I think the album I've listened to the most from start to finish is NPIH. 

• Thanks 1

I have to say that this is the album I've listened to the least and I dont know why because I love almost all the songs. The one I've listened the most is TBWKTM. Thanks to that album I knew Mika, altough I had heard GK, LT and Relx before I didn't know who was the singer or band behind those songs, so my firtst contact with Mika was through TBWKTM. 

3 hours ago, Mikasister said:

No idea tbh. I haven't listened to LICM and TBWKTM as a whole for years, but at the time they were released, I might've had more time to listen to them than to MNIMH now. Nowadays I mostly listen to albums on my car stereo, and for the last year MNIMH has definitely been the most played on there. But I had 4 years to listen to NPIH, not sure the current album had time to catch up with that yet. :teehee:

It definitely is my fave Mika album tho, and the only one where I usually don't skip any songs. So for listening to it from start to finish, without skipping anything, it's probably my most played album. :lol3:

• Thanks 1

To Celebrate MNIMH First anniversary, I decided to write a bit what I think of each song. It's been a year now, and I can judge it better. When It was just released, writing a review about it felt wrong, I Mean -  I Was so hyped and exited. Now I Know which songs Still on repeat and which not... So:

1. Tiny Love: A Masterpiece. On repeat forever, probably. Definitely starts the album on a *very* high note.  that's also a problem to be honest: it raises the bar of the rest of the album! TL it's a love anthem, just like Origin Of Love. I'm in love with the song and it's really one of Mika's best songs! and also the music video is unique. 

2. Ice Cream: I remember hearing the song live before the single came out, and it took me some time to get used to the studio version which sounded at first a bit lifeless. But it grew on me! That said, I Love the sound, it's a fun song!!
3.  Dear Jealousy: Love the theme of the song, I Can relate with it a lot.  In terms of production, I'm feeling like the use of  the gospel choir in the end is not enough!! I Want more!! there is some live version he did on the voice france which I just adore. 

4. Paloma:  Honest & touching. It reminds me of old pop(?) ballads. I'm in love with the ending (fly balloon!!!:lmfao:)  and I Wish it was longer. 

5. Sanremo: I Like it! the music video helped me to understand it better!

6. Tomorrow: I Like it too, but the lyrics not really speak to me I Guess... But I do like to listen to it and dance:lmfao:

7. Ready To Call This Love With Jack Savoretti: I'm afraid that even after a year i'm still not really in the mood for this song... I mean, this other duet with MIKA is great but this is.. mediocre love ballad? It's fine as a song, but Mika can do better! :mellow: feels like the weakest song of the album tbh 

8. Cry: At first I Was like.... what?!... it's grew a bit on me but it isn't of my favs

9. Platform Ballerinas: I Like the theme a lot! not really on repeat for me, though, for strange reason!

10. I Went To Hell Last Night: One of my favorites! I Like it:  lyrics, production, everything. Very Fresh, but still Mika's Sound. Beatles much!

11. Blue: Beautiful. Beautiful. lyricly it's a masterpiece and very poetic which I like, shows Mika writing skills. Very Calm. Mika has a voice on angel!  But I really need the right mood to listen to it... it's a jem! a hidden gem of this album!

12. Stay High: Cute song! I Like especially that part he once shared on ig story!

13. Tiny Love Reprise: It's a beautiful way to end the album. sometimes i'm listening to TL and then skip right to TL reprise, just to hear them "as one". I Do see this track (13) as a part of TL. 

--

That Said, MNIMH Is a Beautiful album. Mika, thank you for this. I'm not really sure if if i'll rank the album where i'll put it - definitely before The Origin Of Love... But it's good, it's honest, touching album, and i'm happy for it. :groupwave:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3