My Name Is Michael Holbrook - Mika's new album 2019

mellody

01-601042.jpg

I Want to talk about the Album artwork. 

When there's a Mika Album coming, I Always really looking forward to see the Artwork. I Love that there's always an artistic side in his work, And like the music he really puts effort into that art.  At first I Thought that I'm not sure what I'm thinking about the art cover. But it grows on me. A line from TL really can sums up this artwork, you know? "Crazy colors in the grey". I Have my own interpretation of the cover: The Black & White photography: Michael Holbrook (Well it's written on his face, silly me); The colorful collage - MIKA. And it's has a lot to do with the lyrics of TL, as I'm thinking the Colorful collage represents the way "Mika" has taken over "Michael Holbrook". It's like a Mask. "Michael Holbrook" is in B&W again, With this writing on his face, it's like the a more "honest" (or... Boring? less attractive? less Interesting? just an ordinary man... not that i'm thinking that but i'm suggesting what it can stands for).

Also - In NPIH, There's Mika on the cover in B&W and in the background a colorful landscape. in TOOL - Mika (again!) B&W and the "Crown" in kind of gold color. In TBWKTM, there's again a colorful Image, Mika is somewhere there... In B&W. A repetitive motif? 

Edit: It's a portrait of both Mika & Michael. Julian Broad wrote on his IG account: "Multispectral Mika".

Edited by MatanBenYosef224
  • Like 3

i just want to hop in and say im loving all the new songs! hope im not sick of them by the time he comes back to LA ;) but i doubt it cause im not sick of life in cartoon motion yet so i think im good ;) 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Marika said:

Oaaahhw no new music tonight.. I was getting used to the new music every Friday :( Now we have to wait a week for the album aaaaaaahhh :punk::punk:

I'm sure you can wait. Mika's fans are used to be patient and wait, wait, wait but then we know that all wait was worth it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

Me too and only once in France... 

I heard it in Spain. I dont expect to hear any other of the songs of MNIMH. When radios play Mika they always play GK, Relax, sometimes Love Today or Rain. Heard Talk about or Celebrate you only when they  came out but that's all and of course LYL, the summer that came out for the beer ad. It's a pity because NPIH, or TOOL has really good songs but they remember Mika just for the old songs from his first album. :emot-sad:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

51oeRxZvlTL.jpg

Apparently the back cover of the album, I found it on Amazon.es... 

Also the creators of the tracks:

1. Tiny Love - Tim Vanderkuil, Peter Randall, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy
  2. Ice Cream - Tim Vanderkuil, Peter Randall, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy
  3. Dear Jealousy - Tim Van Der Kuil, Pete Randall, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, George Moore, Dan Priddy, Bill Banwell
  4. Paloma - Tim Van Der Kuil, Steve Morris, Sally Jackson, Rosie Danvers, Pete Randall, Patrick Kiernan, Nick Barr, Natalia Bonner, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Jack Duxbury, Helen Hathorn, Eleanor Mathieson, Deborah Widdup, Dan Priddy, Bryony James, Bruce White, Anna Croad
  5. Sanremo - Tim Van Der Kuil, Pete Randall, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, David Sneddon, David Sneddon, Dan Priddy
  6. Tomorrow - Tim Van Der Kuil, Pete Randall, Paul Dixon, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy, Dan Priddy, Andy Cortez
  7. Ready To Call This Love - Tim Van Der Kuil, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy, Bill Banwell
  8. Cry - Tim Van Der Kuil, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy, Dan Priddy, Bill Banwell
  9. Platform Ballerinas - Tim Van Der Kuil, Pete Randall, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy, Bill Banwell
  10. I Went to Hell Last Night - Tim Van Der Kuil, Pete Randall, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy
  11. Blue - MIKA, MIKA
  12. Stay High - Tim Van Der Kuil, Pete Randall, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy
  13. Tiny Love Reprise - Paloma Penniman, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mary Joan Penniman
Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

6. Tomorrow - Tim Van Der Kuil, Pete Randall, Paul Dixon, Mitchell Yoshida, MIKA, Mark Crew, John Blease, Dan Priddy, Dan Priddy, Andy Cortez

Thanks! This is weird, Mika mentioned Fyfe as a co-writer for Tomorrow :huh:

1 hour ago, krysady said:

I don't think those are all writers -- I'm going to guess that those are the people who performed on the tracks. For instance, we know that David Sneddon co-wrote Tiny Love his name doesn't appear on that listing at all. :dunno:   Mitch is the current keyboardist, Tim is the guitarist/musical director for the live performances, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they played on the recordings, too. I guess we'll find out for sure soon!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, krysady said:

Fyfe=Paul Dixon 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dixon_(musician)

4 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I don't think those are all writers -- I'm going to guess that those are the people who performed on the tracks. For instance, we know that David Sneddon co-wrote Tiny Love his name doesn't appear on that listing at all. :dunno:   Mitch is the current keyboardist, Tim is the guitarist/musical director for the live performances, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they played on the recordings, too. I guess we'll find out for sure soon!

This was my thinking too. Like, I doubt Paloma and Mama P helped cowrite Tiny Love Reprise :dunno:

Edited by kreacher

14 minutes ago, kreacher said:

This was my thinking too. Like, I doubt Paloma and Mama P helped cowrite Tiny Love Reprise :dunno:

We can see more names in details on Amazon fr. site.

https://www.amazon.fr/My-Name-Michael-Holbrook-Mika/dp/B07XDDFSVM

Mika (Interprète, Artiste, Choir, Autre contribuant, Auteur),   
Peter Randall (Interprète),   
Pete Randall (Interprète, Artiste),   
Paloma Penniman (Interprète),   
Mary Joan Penniman (Interprète),   
David Sneddon (Interprète, Artiste, Choir, Auteur),   
Dan Priddy (Interprète, Artiste, Choir, Autre contribuant, Auteur),   
Bill Banwell (Interprète),   
Tim Vanderkuil (Artiste, Choir),   
Tim Van Der Kuil (Artiste, Choir),   
Steve Morris (Artiste),   
Sally Jackson (Artiste),   
Rosie Danvers (Artiste, Arrangeur),   
Paul Dixon (Artiste, Choir),   
Patrick Kiernan (Artiste),   
Nick Barr (Artiste),   
Natalia Bonner (Artiste),   
Mitchell Yoshida (Artiste, Choir, Arrangeur, Autre contribuant),   
Mark Crew (Artiste, Autre contribuant, Auteur),   
John Blease (Artiste),   
Jack Duxbury (Artiste),   
Helen Hathorn (Artiste),   
George Moore (Artiste, Autre contribuant, Auteur),   
Eleanor Mathieson (Artiste),   
Deborah Widdup (Artiste),   
Bryony James (Artiste),   
Bruce White (Artiste),   
Anna Croad (Artiste),   
Andy Cortez (Artiste),   
Tiago Mendonca (Choir),   
Sonny Cash (Choir),   
Paulo Ramos (Choir),   
Oliver Kotia (Choir),   
Max Taylor (Choir),   
Mark Kendrick (Choir),   
Jenny Dariya (Choir),   
India Watts (Choir),   
Honor Griffiths (Choir),   
Hannah Pigott (Choir),   
Catheline Maurin (Choir),   
Brendan Reilly (Choir),   
Beth Tyson (Choir),   
Amy Wadge (Choir, Auteur),   
Rachel Staunton (Arrangeur),   
Laura Howe (Arrangeur),   
Jonathan Quarmby (Arrangeur, Autre contribuant),   
Curtis Stansfield (Arrangeur),   
Lorna Blackwood (Autre contribuant),   
Joel Davies (Autre contribuant),   
Jack Savoretti (Autre contribuant),  
Harry Burr (Autre contribuant),   
Daniel Black (Autre contribuant, Auteur),   
Dan Grech (Autre contribuant),   
Charles Haydon Hicks (Autre contribuant),   
Andrew Maury (Autre contribuant),   
Jodi Marr (Auteur)   

MNIMH_credit.jpg

Edited by NaoMika
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A few hours away from the release!! 😊 

I have a question, as I live in the Netherlands and I bought the album via mikasounds, I will probably receive the album Monday or later.. Buttt with the release of the album, does this also mean that at midnight (tonight) all songs will appear on YouTube or Spotify so I can still listen to them tomorrow? I'm curious and waited way too long haha! 😊 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I don't think those are all writers -- I'm going to guess that those are the people who performed on the tracks.

Yes, it seems more like a list of people who helped, one way or another, on the making of the album.

4 hours ago, kreacher said:

Fyfe=Paul Dixon 

I didn't know his real name :doh:  Thanks! :thumb_yello:

3 hours ago, Marika said:

A few hours away from the release!! 😊 

I have a question, as I live in the Netherlands and I bought the album via mikasounds, I will probably receive the album Monday or later.. Buttt with the release of the album, does this also mean that at midnight (tonight) all songs will appear on YouTube or Spotify so I can still listen to them tomorrow? I'm curious and waited way too long haha! 😊 

Not sure about Youtube, but I think they should be on Spotify.

About the writers / contributors, I wonder why Jack Savoretti isn't mentioned for Ready To Call This Love. :dunno:

On 9/20/2019 at 5:08 AM, giraffeandy said:

It's official that there'll be a Japanese Edition with Sound Of An orchestra and It's My House as bonus tracks but I haven't seen this edition anywhere else yet: https://www.universal-music.co.jp/mika/products/uicu-1312/ 

It should be released one week later, on 11th October. It seems I'll probably get both versions anyway because I want the physical copy as soon as it's available. :naughty:

I pre-ordered the LP and it said it was going to ship on release day... Which is something I've never experienced before. I'm a little upset about it, because its going to take a long time to ship here too because its coming from the Netherlands... :boxed: I order a Tiny Tour sweatshirt too, and it shipped about 2 weeks ago and I still don't have it, gotta love international shipping. 

http://www.riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook/

ALBUM REVIEW: ‘My Name is Michael Holbrook’ paints a picture of a conflicted Mika

MIKA-Tiny-Love.jpg

English pop musician Mika first made a splash in 2007 with surprise hit Life in Cartoon Motion. The former Simon Cowell reject, who was bullied through school by his classmates, proved his critics wrong with a sugary blast of positive tunes like “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful),” “Grace Kelly,” “Lollipop” and “Love Today.” The well-crafted songs made it easy to get lost in the melody and forget the painful life events that led Michael Holbrook Penniman, Jr. to that point.

My Name is Michael Holbrook
Mika
Casablanca/Republic, Oct. 4

Though the singer-songwriter never lost his glittery edge, Mika’s next three albums got progressively darker. His fifth album, My Name is Michael Holbrook, seems to address his upbringing head-on rather than through a complementary narrative or someone else’s story. The result is mixed bag of bass-hitting thumpers, intimate piano ballads, disco-tinged synth-pop and various colorful embellishments—ranging from children choirs to retro Italian lounge a la Phoenix on Ti Amo.

Thematically, My Name is Michael Holbrook makes sense. It scores the story that Mika is telling. His goal was to look inward at himself as a man—and he’s done it. Sonically, the album can become a bit jarring as his five-octave voice is sometimes the only thing that connects the album’s 13 songs.

On opener “Tiny Love,” he sounds like both Freddie Mercury to Elton John, from the bombast of the Queen frontman to the delicate balladry of the Rocket Man. He’s clearly happy, singing about a love that grows stronger every day

Mika’s sexuality wasn’t widely known 12 years ago, though he sang about a character Billy Brown, who was unhappily married to a woman. Follow his coming out several years ago, he now sings about his affections in the first rather than third person. That openness explains why “Ice Cream” has sexual innuendo to spare. Sporting all the proper elements to be a hit since it released last summer Mika finds support amid organ synths, upbeat percussion and a poppy hook as he declares “I want your ice cream!”

Mika’s outlook shifts downward on “Dear Jealousy,” a ’90s tinged pop tune by way of Savage Garden. He’s unhappy with where he has ended up. Jealous of where he was and where he could end up, his negative feelings make it impossible write songs. “Jealousy” becomes a third person in his bed, the the song becomes a list of all the thoughts he needs to change

The other main character on the album is Mika’s sister, Poloma, who nearly died in 2010 after falling from her fourth story apartment window and impaling herself on a fence post. Mika found her there and he was the one to call for help. He has talked about the traumatic, life-altering experience before, but he addresses his emotions in a song named after her.

“Oh Paloma, the skies have not been kind to you,” the piano-and-strings ballad begins. Mika uses heavenly imagery, referring his sister as an angel with a broken wing. As brushed drumming joins in to the mix and begins the song’s build to a cathartic release, he sings about the sky falling to pieces; “The night our life fell into pieces, too.” The song ends with the emotional line “Fly Paloma!” which Mika repeats.

Paloma reappears in album closer “Tiny Love (reprise).” Mika sings as her: “My name is Paloma and I was born in ’81/ I lived my life, its ups and downs and had my fun/ But now I’m high with a tiny love/ I will stay high.” The line bookends the album opener, on which Mika introduces himself. The reprise is cinematic in scope, with swelling strings, sustained piano notes and flittering synths. A children’s choir appears to declare, “we are giants with our tiny, tiny, love

The bottom two thirds of My Name is Michael Holbrook hop around between styles. On “Sanremo” a retro Euro-disco and lounge vibe takes over. The song centers on growing up gay and the intimidation that Mika felt as a youth. The hopeful, flirtatious “Tomorrow” is one of Mika’s best songs, while “Cry” comes with a glossy nighttime sheen. “Platform Ballerinas” is a female empowerment anthem akin to “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful),” though its more inclusive to all women who don’t fit a specific mold.

One of the album’s pertaining notes comes on ballad “I Went To Hell Last Night,” where Mika finds hope even after following someone special to hell: “When you’re dark, and you’re sad/ And your future’s just as bad/ there’s a little bit of God in everything.”

That’s the message Mika clings to after examining himself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, NaoMika said:

Paul Dixon (Artiste, Choir)

No 'auteur' credits then :teehee:

Apple Music lists these as songwriters:

Tiny Love: Mika & David Sneddon

Ice cream: Mika & Daniel Black

Dear Jealousy: Mika, George Moore & Amy Wadge

Paloma: Mika & David Sneddon

Sanremo: Mika & David Sneddon

Tomorrow: Mika

Ready to call this love: Mika

Cry: Mika, Dan Priddy & Mark Crew

Platform Ballerinas: Mika & Amy Wadge

I went to hell last night: Mika & David Sneddon

Blue: Mika & Amy Wadge

Stay high: Mika, Dan Priddy & Mark Crew

Tiny Love Reprise: Mika, David Sneddon & Jodi Marr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I Have ordered a CD too, from amazon, not from the mikasounds, as it would take forever to the CD to arrive. I Think It will take time...

Unfortunately, also here in Israel it's holiday season now, so the post isn't working properly. With NPIH (it was out 15th june) I Got my CD at 2th July.

Anyway, 2 more hours until midnight, to finally hear the full record! :cheer:

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dominika said:

The album is online now. There must have been a leakalthough my friend told that the links with music has been removed. 

I saw already 2 days ago that you could download a zip file of the album - but I didn't try, as zip might as well be a virus. 🙄

Anyway, 3 more hours here... we've waited 4 years, I think I'll manage that now. :teehee:

• Like 3