My Name Is Michael Holbrook - Mika's new album 2019

mellody

I love all the songs. I had a bit of hard time with Cry but I think it's growing in me since yesterday. I was so happy to discover songs like I went to hell last night or Ready to call this love. I felt like falling in love with him over and over again while listenning to the album. My Name Is Michael Holbrook worth the wait and I'm so happy.

Paloma truly is a masterpiece as her voice in Tiny Love Reprise !! Joannie and Paloma made a really really good work and we really feel the love between the family. Mika...What can I say ? I will be in my room, listening to the album for probably the rest of my entire life.

Mika did it again !!

• Like 6

Ahaha.. I knew if I came here I could find out who was singing on Reprise without having to ask (which I'm sure it has been). Thank you. What an album. I'm still on a HIGH HIGH HIGH after seeing Mika 5 times in North America. Other than those stupid jerks at Ace Theatre, it was an amazing tour and one that I am so glad I did. So close to Mika and the stage I could have touched his toes. 

• Like 3

I listened to the new songs this morning and now the whole album, some new songs twice. So I have an opinion :) The only new song I really like is "Ready to call this love", amazing duet! I'm not really sure about the rest. Paloma, I went to hell and Blue definitely deserve a better sound. And it is so weird to hear something like Cry, Stay High and Platform Ballerinas from Mika. These songs are too pop, too mainstream, even remind of Britney Spears at some point :fisch: And it's not a compliment :naughty:

So my two favourite songs are Tiny Love and Tomorrow, I like Sanremo and even Jealousy a lot now, Ice Cream is cool, Ready to call this love is great. That's all. MNIMH is the weakest Mika's album to me. Well Mika's voice sounds really beautiful, lyrics of Paloma, I went to hell and Blue are really strong. Though song is not a poem, music is the main thing in a song and musically MNIMH is not good enough. Mika can do better, still can do better I hope.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mousetrap said:

I listened to the new songs this morning and now the whole album, some new songs twice. So I have an opinion :) The only new song I really like is "Ready to call this love", amazing duet! I'm not really sure about the rest. Paloma, I went to hell and Blue definitely deserve a better sound. And it is so weird to hear something like Cry, Stay High and Platform Ballerinas from Mika. These songs are too pop, too mainstream, even remind of Britney Spears at some point :fisch: And it's not a compliment :naughty:

So my two favourite songs are Tiny Love and Tomorrow, I like Sanremo and even Jealousy a lot now, Ice Cream is cool, Ready to call this love is great. That's all. MNIMH is the weakest Mika's album to me. Well Mika's voice sounds really beautiful, lyrics of Paloma, I went to hell and Blue are really strong. Though song is not a poem, music is the main thing in a song and musically MNIMH is not good enough. Mika can do better, still can do better I hope.

As much as it's hard to admit...I agree with you.  It's a half amazing and half meh for me.  

Tiny Love, Tomorrow, Sanremo, Dear Jealousy, Ice Cream, I went to hell last night,. and Stay High are great.  The others don't seem as quite as good to me.  

But! I think Tiny Love/Tomorrow/Sanremo are up there with his best songs ever. 

Just my opinion though of course 😄

Edited by NancylovesM
  • Like 1

My very first thoughts on MNIMH (may change a lot):

I'm overwhelmed by the diversity of the new tracks, there are so many moments on the album that really surprised me because I didn't expect this particular sound or style from Mika. A definitely need to listen to the album a couple of times because there's so much going on in all these new songs, both musically and lyrically. It feels different than all his previous albums and I think that's a good thing – sure, not everybody will like it but I appreciate that he is still trying something new and fresh. My favourite album to date is NPIH, especially the ballads and mid-tempo songs, so it's quite unusual for me that on MNIMH I prefer the up-beat songs, the ballads here feel surprisingly weaker to me (maybe I just need more time but I don't think the slower songs are as good as some of Mika's older ones), but actually all the dance/up-beat songs are so much fun to listen, really playful and also with a great 80s vibe, I love it! I think this will be my favourite Mika album when I'm in mood for more energetic, pop/dance music but it probably won't beat NPIH in my overall ranking (however, it's really too early for me to compare MNIMH to the previous albums, the only thing I know for sure now is that TOOL remains my least favourite one). My favourite tracks so far are Dear Jealousy, Tomorrow, Tiny Love, Platform Ballerinas and I Went to Hell Last Night. However, the list will definitely change after more listenings. 

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 6

So, after a few listens, I guess I can say a bit more now without changing my mind again 5 minutes later. :teehee:

Before we got the album, my faves were Tiny Love and Dear Jealousy, closely followed by Blue. Now I can add to that Paloma, Platform Ballerinas, I went to hell last night and Stay High. But I really can't make a ranking of them (yet) - they're all so fantastic and each is unique in its own way... maybe it'll change over time, I might grow tired of some, some might grow even more on me, others might be added when I hear them live... I'm really astonished that I can't pin it down to one or two favourite songs on this album, I thought Tiny Love would be that one, but already when hearing Dear Jealousy I was proved wrong. :naughty: Most other Mika songs fade to me, compared to this amazing collection. :wub2: Though maybe that's just because they're new.

Of Blue I must say I prefer the live version. In the recorded version his voice sounds like he has a cold. :mf_rosetinted: Probably doesn't, he just would've recorded it again I guess, so it's meant that way - anyway it's a song I have to be in the mood for, same goes for Ready to call this love, which also is beautiful, but I need to be in the right mood for it, otherwise both of these songs are too slow for me.

Paloma is stuck in my head since I first listened to it, it feels like flying. :wub2: And is so sad at the same time. :tears:

Platform Ballerinas, I can totally relate to the lyrics (except that I don't own platform ballerinas :teehee: ), and that Rock sound just makes me want to do what he sings about - dance, groove, jump, spin, mess up my hair! :lmfao:

I went to hell last night - those lyrics are so touching, and it's totally sounding like a Beatles song that has time-travelled to today. I LOVE the Beatles, one of their albums was one of the first cassettes I listened to on repeat as a teenager. And this song sounds like all of my fave Beatles songs summed up in one. :swoon:

Stay High, that bassline is killing me, it's just amazing! - and that part where he sings "don't let me down now now...", it gives me goosebumps - the song is so uplifting and it's a perfect ending for the show, as he did in the US. :fangurl: The only thing that bothers me a bit is the ending, it's too abrupt - but I guess live that'll be ok, just on the recorded version I noticed it.

• Like 9

Got the mail yesterday that my cd is on the way, I hope to receive it next week. :biggrin2:  But I listened to it on Spotify and just... wow. Not what I expected, but I like it! At this moment my favorites are Platform Ballerinas, Dear Jealousy, Tiny Love and Blue. :wub2:  

Edited by We-Are-Golden
  • Like 8

I Would like to say some words about MNIMH (Gosh Mika, why everytime the album's names are so long?) So -

Very different from "NPIH" which is one of my favorites of him, but in a good way! I Really feel the beatles influences in some songs, starting from Tiny love which is of course the heart of the album,  kind of a new origin of love song. Also like you said - I Went... sounds like a Beatles song and also I Find "Stay High" too, Beatles in it sound! (a bit Drive My Car kind - in the baseline) 

It's Hard for me to choose a favorite. But what I Like less: for some reason "Ready to call this love" - It just didn't catch me as the others, But Mika voice is amazing as always. I Must say that "Cry" is growing on me... 

From the new ones: Tiny Love Reprise, It's just moved me. The choir, the part of his mother, and especially - Paloma part. Apparently she has a beautiful voice, I'm not surprised either... Family thing :thumb_yello: Mika ending the song (and the album) with the line "And We'll stay high..." is so emotional, make sense (a bit of me also want him to complete the sentence with "...with a tiny love")  

AHHHH I Can't choose favorites! I'm trying! 

"Paloma" sounds a bit like a Carol King song, or is it just me? Something about the Piano... But it's beautiful, touching song, And Make sense... thanks god there isn't "Fly Balloon" song in the album :lmfao:

From the beginning I Loved the fact that Tiny love is not following a kind of order, formula, it's refreshing and I Love it that Mika wrote something clever as this! And the music video must be one of my favorites from Mika, I Love the symbolism and kind of surlisem feeling, old 90s film

And I Like the cover, so colorful!

I Love this album, It's better from TOOL, I'm not sure what it's place among others But for me, the wait was worth it, Thanks MIKA!!!

:cheer::mf_lustslow::thumb_yello: 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MatanBenYosef224 said:

Does Anybody know why Mika didn't work with Greg wells on MNIMH? 

Just curious to know... :o

No, I don't think there's anyone who knows the reason.

12 hours ago, MatanBenYosef224 said:

Does Anybody know why Mika didn't work with Greg wells on MNIMH? 

Just curious to know... :o

I think he said somewhere he wanted to work with a different team than before, he wanted to do it all in a home studio (maybe Greg didn't want to work there but in his own studio), to get a different feeling and a different sound on this album, a reset. I suppose that's the reason.

• Like 1

Some reviews so far:

https://www.gigwise.com/reviews/3361309/album-review-mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook (8/10)

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/wilco-review-ode-to-joy-tracklist-release-date-mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook-a9137536.html (3/5)

https://www.riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook/

https://www.allmusic.com/album/my-name-is-michael-holbrook-mw0003311612 (3,5/5)

https://www.unionjournalism.com/2019/10/03/review-on-album-ode-to-joy-by-wilco-and-mikas-my-name-is-michael-holbrook/

I have to say I partly agree with some of them saying the album doesn't feel as cohesive. For example NPIH tells a story for me, I even prefer some of the songs when hearing them on the album than separately because the whole album has a concept. Even though MNIMH has songs like Tiny Love, Paloma and Tiny Love Reprise that fit together, sometimes I feel the flow of the album isn't working as well, the mood and style is changing a lot throughout the songs, for example right after Blue there's Stay High, it's always a big shock for me to hear such an energetic song after the ballad, which is rather melancholic. Don't know if someone here feels the same when hearing the album from start to finish. I really enjoy the majority of the songs on this album but as an album, it feels a bit all over the place. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 5:47 AM, BiaIchihara said:

CRY

Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm
I've got needles on my feet
Won't be nice to get a little bit into you
Cause trust me I'm a little bit into you

Cause I can't be your bitch to the rhythm
I’ve got shackles on my feet
Won't be nice to get a little bit close to you
Cause trust me I'm a little bit into you

Must be a reason why
A reason why we fall in love
Give me a reason why
I'm hurting for the both of us

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why
It hurts so much

Don't make me
Cry, cry, cry, cry, cry

If it’s only pain you deliver
Then why does my heart not see
Why do I keep on finding ways to be next to you
When no one makes me feel more alone than you

l'll be ok again, I'll be ok again
I'll be ok again, I won't cry over you
Don't make me cry

Thanks for writing it down.

I made a few corrections and completed it:

Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm   
I've got charcoal (?)* on my feet                                    
Won't it be nice to get a little bit into you
It's just that I'm a little bit into you

I can't be your bitch to the rhythm
It (?) won't be enough for me
Won't  it be nice to get a little bit close to you

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why
It hurts so much

Don't make me
Cry, cry, cry, cry, cry [x4]

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why
It hurts so much

Don't make me

Don't make me
Cry, cry, cry, cry, cry [x8]

*I'm not sure it's charcoal but I'm pretty sure it's not needles. Has anyone figured it out? Any help?

6 minutes ago, Ellys said:

Thanks for writing it down.

I made a few corrections and completed it:

Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm   
I've got charcoal (?)* on my feet                                    
Won't it be nice to get a little bit into you

I can't be your bitch to the rhythm
It (?) won't be enough for me
Won't  it be nice to get a little bit close to you

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why
It hurts so much

Don't make me

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why

Must be a reason why
Give me a reason why
It hurts so much

Don't make me

Don't make me
Cry, cry, cry, cry, cry [x8]

*I'm not sure it's charcoal but I'm pretty sure it's not needles. Has anyone figured it out? Any help?

On Genius there's shackles:

'Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm
I've got shackles on my feet

https://genius.com/Mika-cry-lyrics

I think it makes sense and I also hear it there... 

(I know Genius isn't official but I usually read the lyrics there and they're mostly right.)

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

Don't know if someone here feels the same when hearing the album from start to finish. I really enjoy the majority of the songs on this album but as an album, it feels a bit all over the place. 

Agree.

I think my biggest issue with this album, even though I like many of the songs is that the concept seems pretty weak, I fail to see any mika/michael distinction ( TOOL and NPIH felt more personal to me actually ) or why he felt alienated with the mainstream music industry when this album is leaning into commercial pop more than the others. So on top of being a mixed bag Mika makes it the more confusing. :aah:

Theres also this review https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/cd-mika-my-name-michael-holbrook 

Its a bit negative I guess but Sanremo and Cry are the highlights for me too so I really get where its coming from.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ellie said:

I think my biggest issue with this album, even though I like many of the songs is that the concept seems pretty weak, I fail to see any mika/michael distinction ( TOOL and NPIH felt more personal to me actually ) or why he felt alienated with the mainstream music industry when this album is leaning into commercial pop more than the others. So on top of being a mixed bag Mika makes it the more confusing. :aah:

Yeah, I also feel NPIH is more intimate, I enjoy the new songs but at the same time I "miss" Mika in them. I'm a bit conflicted about it. I think this will be an album where I'll prefer to listen to the songs I'm currently in mood for rather than listen to the entire album. And I also have the feeling this album is more radio-friendly than his previous albums.

• Like 4

For me it´s a really personell album and I can relate to many of the songs. My favorites so far are Paloma, Tomorrow, Dear Jealousy, Tiny Love Reprise and I Went To Hell Last night. I also really like the other songs, Blue is my least favourite one. Yes the sound is different and it´s o.k. because the whole album is different and I like that Mika changes during the years.

• Like 2