Sanremo - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Irem Aytepe

6 minutes ago, Poisonyoulove said:

Tonight we're putting homosexuality under a microscope, and the danger they represent to society. Our experts include a psychiatrist and a police official. But first, let's hear a homosexual, your name please.

Fredrico Aldorandi.

Your occupation?

Architect.

Are you a homosexual?

Yes.

Does your family know this?

It's been secret.

Are they likely to discover your homosexuality?

It's unavoidable, I'm certain my career will suffer.

Well, why speak now?

I can no longer hide it, and I hope I can give courage to others.

I'm told that outside is a demonstration by a group of homosexuals. The policy of this administration is that we do not knowingly hire homosexuals, and if we find homosexuals in our administration we terminate their employment without delay.

I love the videoclip, it’s very beautiful and deep.. but i have a question, if you have any idea can you please answer me?

I don’t understand the connection between the lyrics of the song (that seems happy and full of joy with just a little of loneliness) and the video (with this deep message about homosexuality in the ‘900). (I think the video is filmed to look like around 1960.)

Maybe i lost the meaning of some parts of the song, because i don’t speak english very well.

If you can help me understanding more thank you❤️

• Like 1

This video is a total masterpiece ! I watched it and I wanted more! It should takes not 4 minutes but 44 minutes! :cloud:

At first couple of seconds I thought that this video might be to serious for the song but it isn't, it's a perfect match.

@Anna-is-golden the song is like utopian dream, the only hope in the face of harsh reality shown in the video clip :wink2:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Anna-is-golden said:

I love the videoclip, it’s very beautiful and deep.. but i have a question, if you have any idea can you please answer me?

Here's Mika's explanation, it was more the director's vision for the video, probably that's why this contrast between lyrics and the short movie:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anna-is-golden said:

I don’t understand the connection between the lyrics of the song (that seems happy and full of joy with just a little of loneliness) and the video (with this deep message about homosexuality in the ‘900). (I think the video is filmed to look like around 1960.)

Well Mika said this about the song: ''From, "San Remo" not being about San Remo at all, but being about growing up gay and being a 13-year-old gay walking around the streets of San Remo and feeling incredibly intimidated by every other masculine presence that seems more beautiful, more slim, more heterosexual — just cooler and better than you'd think you could ever be. That's what that song is about. It's not obvious but it's in there. ''

The music video being set up in the past is kind of the only way they could have portrayed this story imo since it is not really relevant for present day Mika and showing him as a teenager or whatever wouldnt have been taken well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love it :wub2: and I love Mika in it :wub2: It reminds me of the way he looks in the Hugo Boss photo :swoon:

I knew it would be bitter sweet and it is,  but it is a very beautiful video :wub2:

I think Mika is very courageous to be the hero of such a story for a video clip,  he is taking risks and being very bold :punk:  And he is a very good actor :thumb_yello:

I hope that video can open minds and provoke tolerance just like the movie Philadelphia with Tom Hanks did,  as you can also feel the pain and the pressure homophobia can inflict on people whose sexuality is not as in the bible...

Gosh he's got guts :wub2: I love him even more for trying to change the world and make it better in such a beautiful,  artistic and pacific way :wub2:

Thank you Mika :huglove:

• Like 2

I love the video, much more than the Tiny Love one. Maybe also because he explains it better, the connection between the lyrics and the video - and it's not a lot of hidden meanings, but pretty obvious, at least if you understand what is said at the beginning & end of the video. The only thing I don't understand what it is about his hand with the ring opening and closing, they show that several times throughout the video. Not sure if it's supposed to be his wedding ring, but it doesn't really look like one... but in that case it could be about it being hard for him to leave his family, despite the fact that he has to, because he can't live with a lie. :dunno:

Just 2 days ago I've read about homophobic attacks on the Oktoberfest, in my city, which in many ways is very open and tolerant, and it really shocked me to be confronted with the fact that gay couples just can't freely show their love in public, without having to fear being attacked by such homophobic as*holes. I've read about this general problem before, in the column of a gay author, he said he's always scared - but it's things me as a heterosexual doesn't usually think about. Mika and Wiz bring this issue to the public with this video, and although it plays in the 1950s, where negative consequences were much heavier and much more the rule than today, it's still far from being perfect even now in 2019. Not even speaking of other countries like Russia, where it's still more like in the 1950s. I hope the video gets many views and makes many people think about it.

• Like 4

I think it is a wedding ring, and the clenching the fist is supposed to symbolise the torment he feels between his "normal"  married life with wife and child, and his true nature - like Billy Brown.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

Not sure if it's supposed to be his wedding ring, but it doesn't really look like one... but in that case it could be about it being hard for him to leave his family, despite the fact that he has to, because he can't live with a lie.

That's my interpretation, maybe it doesn't look like a typical wedding ring but he wears it on the left ring finger... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anna-is-golden said:

Maybe i lost the meaning of some parts of the song, because i don’t speak english very well.

Here you can also read more about it:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/8532195/mika-sanremo-video?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

In a statement, the video's director W.I.Z. says that the new clip takes place in "an era when homosexuality, if not illegal, was socially unacceptable, a time of discrimination and persecution. 'Sanremo' represents his utopian dream, a fictional place of liberation and transcendence."

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mellody said:

I love the video, much more than the Tiny Love one

Me too. SanRemo it's not one of my favorites, but I really like the video and it made me watch it over and over again, while the Tiny Love video it's so heavy and uncomfortable for me to watch :aah:

About the ring, I also believe that symbolizes a wedding ring, it would make sense in the context.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

That's my interpretation, maybe it doesn't look like a typical wedding ring but he wears it on the left ring finger... 

Those used to be in fashion at that time

26 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

In the past such rings were very much in fashion for men and they could ve engagement rings or wedding rings I believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, silver said:

I think it is a wedding ring, and the clenching the fist is supposed to symbolise the torment he feels between his "normal"  married life with wife and child, and his true nature - like Billy Brown.

this was my interpretation too.

the part i don't understand is the rope with the boobs @ about 1:47 :confused:

love the video tho ❤️ i wish it was longer. i need to know what happens next!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kreacher said:

this was my interpretation too.

the part i don't understand is the rope with the boobs @ about 1:47 :confused:

love the video tho ❤️ i wish it was longer. i need to know what happens next!

The scene with the rope reminds me of a hanging loop but I don't know if he is afraid he could be hanging for being a gay or thinking about suicide? But maybe I'm completely wrong... 

With the boobs, not sure, she looks a bit like a prostitute, maybe she only represents heterosexuality for him, the "norm/standard" he doesn't meet... Idk if it makes any sense. 

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 4

This song is far from being my favorite from the album. But I must admit that the clip gives it another dimension. There's something disturbing about this clip and since I guess that's what Mika's looking for, it's pretty successful

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, Anna-is-golden said:

Mika often says that he deals with black and serious subjects on light music. I think we have a perfect example of what he means. But, as far as I'm concerned, the song alone leaves me quite indifferent to the rest of the album

• Like 2

17 hours ago, miknikel said:

This song is far from being my favorite from the album. But I must admit that the clip gives it another dimension. There's something disturbing about this clip and since I guess that's what Mika's looking for, it's pretty successful

As Mika said not long ago,  we don't have to like each single song and it's ok :wink2:

I do love all of them in this album which is a first as I usually have one or two I don't ever listen to in each album. At first I wasn't keen on Cry, and Platform Bellerinas was not appealing to me...but his voice and his words did the trick and they grew on me.

Tomorrow was my instant favorite,  Tiny Love and Sanremo being very close...but Paloma, Tiny Love reprise,  Ready to call this love,  I went to hell last night,  Blue and  Stay high totally won my heart at first hearing :wub2:

I am a happy fan :fangurl: and on a Mika high with this album forever :cloud:

Sorry I went :offtopic::lmfao::mikalove: got me carried away :wub2::swoon:

And Sanremo video is a beautiful movie and such a brave thing to do,  and Mika is absolutely gorgeous in it even though I feel for him when I feel the pain he plays which is not fake,  but something he has experienced :tears: and I just want to hug him.

But he was so right to make a video about this difficult struggle which hopefully will raise awareness and help many young people who don't fit into the "straight" model of society feel that they are not lonely and that it can get better.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

As Mika said not long ago,  we don't have to like each single song and it's ok :wink2:

I do love all of them in this album which is a first as I usually have one or two I don't ever listen to in each album. At first I wasn't keen on Cry, and Platform Bellerinas was not appealing to me...but his voice and his words did the trick and they grew on me.

Tomorrow was my instant favorite,  Tiny Love and Sanremo being very close...but Paloma, Tiny Love reprise,  Ready to call this love,  I went to hell last night,  Blue and  Stay high totally won my heart at first hearing :wub2:

I am a happy fan :fangurl: and on a Mika high with this album forever :cloud:

Sorry I went :offtopic::lmfao::mikalove: got me carried away :wub2::swoon:

And Sanremo video is a beautiful movie and such a brave thing to do,  and Mika is absolutely gorgeous in it even though I feel for him when I feel the pain he plays which is not fake,  but something he has experienced :tears: and I just want to hug him.

But he was so right to make a video about this difficult struggle which hopefully will raise awareness and help many young people who don't fit into the "straight" model of society feel that they are not lonely and that it can get better.

I totally agree with your analysis, Anne. I think you understood what I meant. The song that I find rather banal is accompanied by a video far from leaving me insensitive. Magic Mika On the other hand, fortunately we each have our own preferences, otherwise it would be sad for Mika. Kisses Anne.   😘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miknikel said:

I totally agree with your analysis, Anne. I think you understood what I meant. The song that I find rather banal is accompanied by a video far from leaving me insensitive. Magic Mika On the other hand, fortunately we each have our own preferences, otherwise it would be sad for Mika. Kisses Anne.   😘

I do love Sanremo song :wub2:  It makes me want to danse with Mika....so seing him danse it in the video was :mf_lustslow:

But Staring at the sun is not a song I like that much but the video for it is my fav because a dream of mine was to see Mika by the sea in a video and I thought it would never happen so when it did it became my fav :wub2: And Andy shot Mika in a great way which makes the video even better :wub2: So I will always love it :wub2:

• Like 1

I think these words summarizes the video and the song.

W.I.Z., the director of the video, has stated that the video takes place in “an era in which homosexuality was socially unacceptable, a time of discrimination and persecution. Sanremo represents Mika's utopian dream, a fictional place of liberation and transcendence. ”

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 1:23 AM, giraffeandy said:

In a statement, the video's director W.I.Z. says that the new clip takes place in "an era when homosexuality, if not illegal, was socially unacceptable, a time of discrimination and persecution. 'Sanremo' represents his utopian dream, a fictional place of liberation and transcendence."

Yes, it's clear that he wanted to make a short film with a strong message.

• Like 1

I just want to say that Sanremo grew on me so much since the album release! It usually doesn't happen with singles that has been released before but there's something about the song that makes it better with time. Every time I listen to it, I like it more. At first, it was my least favourite single, then I realize it's really catchy and now it's one of my favourite songs from the album. 

• Like 1