Ready to Call This Love? - Song and Lyrics Discussion

dcdeb

I have to say I'm quite surprised by the fact that this song seems to be the most popular one (apart from the singles of course) from the album and keep thinking it's because of the collab (even though Jack isn't huge, at least I've never heard of him till Youth&Love, he still has a solid fanbase which is of course interested in this song). But maybe it's because I don't like love duets and love ballads as much so I really can't get into it... To me songs like that sounds a bit boring and cliched most of the time, even though I like Mika's voice in this one of course but for me it's still both sonically and lyrically probably the least interesting track on the album... :dunno:

• Like 1

Ive seen a bit of criticism in the vein of 'he's too old for twee pop' and for how juvenile his lyrics are so Im not really surprised this is a favourite cuz the song imo is the most mature sounding on the album both in term of lyrics and sound. 

Also, their voices work surprisingly great together.

Edited by ellie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

For me it's a great song! I love the melody and also the lyrics. It's one of my favourites from the album and it makes me happy that it seems to get some attention. The only thing that makes me sad about it is the fact that this doesn't mean that people who like this song would listen to the other songs as well... Which is a pity cos the whole album is amazing. And another thing is... if they only like it cos it's a duet... idk... for me this is kinda disappointing then...

Additionally I wouldn't mind if Mika sang it alone, but that's just a personal point of view. :teehee: 

12 hours ago, Starlight said:

Which makes me feel sad... :sad:

Oh no, it's a good thing, it gets Mika noticed - even as a songwriter - by another group of fans who might not otherwise have come across him.

And of course he would get royalties.

I don't think it has to be performed as a duet, either.

26 minutes ago, silver said:

Oh no, it's a good thing, it gets Mika noticed - even as a songwriter - by another group of fans who might not otherwise have come across him.

And of course he would get royalties.

I don't think it has to be performed as a duet, either.

Well if that is the case it's really a good thing... I hope so of course!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

It is hard to describe how much I love the duets Mika did with Jack, their voices are so good together. But most of all do I like these songs because they normalize gay relationships. Any longterm relationship has his challenges, no matter if you are with a man or a woman. Gay love is not extravagant. There are still not many songs like these that are about down-to-earth real life. 

MFC is a wonderful database! What Mika tells about this song here is exactly why I love it so much.

https://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/34290-mika-in-us-press-2020-2021/?do=findComment&comment=4238133

Mika has such a positive impact on the  position of LHBTQ+ people in society, just by being himself. I hope he will do more duets like these.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bren said:

It is hard to describe how much I love the duets Mika did with Jack, their voices are so good together. But most of all do I like these songs because they normalize gay relationships. Any longterm relationship has his challenges, no matter if you are with a man or a woman. Gay love is not extravagant. There are still not many songs like these that are about down-to-earth real life. 

MFC is a wonderful database! What Mika tells about this song here is exactly why I love it so much.

https://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/34290-mika-in-us-press-2020-2021/?do=findComment&comment=4238133

Mika has such a positive impact on the  position of LHBTQ+ people in society, just by being himself. I hope he will do more duets like these.

I recognize his influence even on me, a binary woman. He taught me to support LGBT+ community. 

But as far as the song is concerned, voices of Mika and Jack match together beautifully, there is a softness but also a tender, manly strength. Guys, I am seeing Jack Savoretti on concert in my hometown in  a week! I am so excited!:))) 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SereneLady said:

I recognize his influence even on me, a binary woman. He taught me to support LGBT+ community. 

But as far as the song is concerned, voices of Mika and Jack match together beautifully, there is a softness but also a tender, manly strength. Guys, I am seeing Jack Savoretti on concert in my hometown in  a week! I am so excited!:))) 

That is nice to hear thanks!

Have fun next week, that's going to be great :)

• dcdeb changed the title to Ready to Call This Love? - Song and Lyrics Discussion