Platform Ballerinas - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

One of my faves. :fangurl: I've adjusted the lyrics a bit, compared to the text in the album, as he sings it a bit different at some points.

PLATFORM BALLERINAS

Dancing in her platform ballerinas
That's about as girly as she gets
She ain't like no other señorita
She won't ever let you forget

She says: Don't believe everything you see
That a girl wakes up with makeup
And her heart on her sleeve
She says better be yourself you're making

Cuz every other girl out there is taken

She says oh come on!
Dancing like she loves it with her best dress on
Spinning jumping messing up her hair
But it doesn't matter
Cuz that don't make her less of a girl

And her hips she moves
Grooving to the music like a woman do
Throws her body in it not for me not you
But for her
And that don't make her less of a girl

Like she's dancing in her kitchen at home
She says life is made up of decisions
But that every one of them must be your own

Don't believe everything you see
That a girl wakes up with makeup
And her heart on her sleeve
She says better be yourself you're making

Cuz every other girl out there is taken

She says oh come on!
But it doesn't matter

And her hips she moves
Grooving to the music like a woman do
Throws her body in it not for me not you
But for her
And that don't make her less of a girl

When that song comes on
She don't know the words but she still sings along
Everybody's laughing but it doesn't even matter

She don't have to aim to miss
Blowing up her lips to make them best to kiss
that won't even help to get a guy to kiss her better
And that don't make her less of her a girl

She says oh come on!
But it doesn't matter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I dont get this song either... Wouldnt putting your best dress on, dancing shyly on your own and having fun at karaoke be considered girly stuff? Like the character he is describing sounds like a typical girl not someone who would need defending for being 'less of a girl'.

Edited by ellie
  • Like 1

Reading through the lyrics again, I could see that maybe the subject of the song isn’t “seen” or “accepted” as a girl in the eyes of others. The lyrics say that she doesn’t have to conform to any standards to be a girl... or to be whoever you want/ know yourself to be. :)

Also, I just really love the whole song, and especially these lines:

“She says life is made up of decisions /
But that everyone of them must be your own”

Edited by rubberduckiiz2
  • Like 4

I think instead of it being implied that she’s not fitting the stereotypical behaviour of being a girl, it’s that she’s not fitting the horrid but sadly still pervasive idea that a girl should perform for others (e.g. men 😔). 

She does everything she’s doing because she wants to and is enjoying herself - “Grooving to the music like a woman do/Throws her body in it not for me not you/But for her”. Sure, she’s doing very commonly girly things, but she wants it to be known, in fact “she won’t ever let you forget”, that she’s doing them because that’s what she likes doing, and not so that she fits girly stereotypes and can be like “any other senorita”. 

The message of the song is repeated often in the chorus line “better be yourself your maker” - it’s how important it is that she’s dancing and laughing and wearing her best dress because that’s what she wants to do. She’s fleeing the idea that a woman should be performing for anyone other than themselves.

I love it 😍 It’s a rally cry for proud individuality away from any dictated gaze ☺️ 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, ellie said:

I dont get this song either... Wouldnt putting your best dress on, dancing shyly on your own and having fun at karaoke be considered girly stuff? Like the character he is describing sounds like a typical girl not someone who would need defending for being 'less of a girl'.

I completely agree. I was expecting something different

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hannah_ said:

She does everything she’s doing because she wants to and is enjoying herself - “Grooving to the music like a woman do/Throws her body in it not for me not you/But for her”.

I also think that's the message of the song, sometimes people say that women "should be dressed/behave" in a certain way or that they are doing certain things for men, to be attractive etc. For example when I'm dancing at a club, I hate when men are staring at me and think that it's an invitation for them to join me and harass me. Also when I have a skirt, shorts or a nice dress especially in Summer, some men are whistling at me and they think they have the permission to say anything to me, I often feel verbal sexually harassed by men only because I decide to wear certain clothes or dance at a club, even though I'm doing it for me, not for them! That's my personal interpretation of the song. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Hannah_ said:

I think instead of it being implied that she’s not fitting the stereotypical behaviour of being a girl, it’s that she’s not fitting the horrid but sadly still pervasive idea that a girl should perform for others (e.g. men 😔). 

She does everything she’s doing because she wants to and is enjoying herself - “Grooving to the music like a woman do/Throws her body in it not for me not you/But for her”. Sure, she’s doing very commonly girly things, but she wants it to be known, in fact “she won’t ever let you forget”, that she’s doing them because that’s what she likes doing, and not so that she fits girly stereotypes and can be like “any other senorita”. 

The message of the song is repeated often in the chorus line “better be yourself your maker” - it’s how important it is that she’s dancing and laughing and wearing her best dress because that’s what she wants to do. She’s fleeing the idea that a woman should be performing for anyone other than themselves.

I love it 😍 It’s a rally cry for proud individuality away from any dictated gaze ☺️ 

I think thats what he was going for but its quite condescending and oblivious, Mika is also a man making assumptions about women's behaviour and taking digs at 'the other senoritas' while scolding the audience for ... assuming that a girly girl is a typical 'senorita'. How does he know the 'other senoritas' arent doing it for themselves too?

2 hours ago, silver said:

Maybe it's not about a "real" girl at all

Yeah I was thinking this makes more sense as a tongue-in-cheek song about a drag queen.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ellie said:

I think thats what he was going for but its quite condescending and oblivious, Mika is also a man making assumptions about women's behaviour and taking digs at 'the other senoritas' while scolding the audience for ... assuming that a girly girl is a typical 'senorita'. How does he know the 'other senoritas' arent doing it for themselves too?

Idk but the line "She ain't like no other señorita" seems very ironic to me, I don't think he means it serious.

• Like 1

I don't think he's talking from his own point of view, but about the concept of what society thinks that is or isn't "lady-like". It's these old-fashioned views that luckily you get less and less these days - but, same as with homophobia, it's still there. You can especially see it in the "high society", women are supposed to look beautiful and keep their mouth shut about important topics, they're often more an accessoire of their rich men. 

But even if you don't specifically look at these circles - there's many women who get easily embarrassed, who prefer to stay silent, in the background, who avoid adventures or "letting their hair down", who are always concerned about their looks. Young girls, who get easily insecure if they see the "perfect" influencers on Instagram, who seem to wake up with their makeup on, and try to be like them.

And Mika sings about a woman who doesn't keep to these conventions. Who dances like crazy, without caring who watches her, just because she loves it. Who doesn't care if her "best dress" gets dirty or even ripped, because she's not like the little girl in her sunday dress who isn't allowed to play in the sandbox because the pretty dress might get dirty. Who doesn't care if she doesn't look perfect, if her hair gets messed up, if her dancing looks weird, she just enjoys life.

Anyway, that's my interpretation. And I can find myself in this song. I think every woman gets insecure at times, concerned about her looks, unsure if she can do something extraordinary without ruining her "reputation" (whatever that might be in the individual case). I remember when I travelled to my first Mika gig abroad. Starting to follow a popstar again at the age of 30, really?! On my own. Dressed as a Lollipop girl at the gig. I was very insecure. Luckily there were some lovely MFCers I met before the show. And when Mika came on stage, I forgot any kind of insecurity - always at his shows, whatever insecurities I might have before, while I watch his shows, I just don't care. It also can happen when I hear good music at a club or party, though there often alcohol is involved. Mika gigs get me high without any additional drugs. :teehee:

And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way - that's why I wrote on the other thread that I think Platform Ballerinas might be the song about his fans, that he mentioned in his Xmas message.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

Idk but the line "She ain't like no other señorita" seems very ironic to me, I don't think he means it serious.

Isnt the whole idea that she is different?:aah:

1 hour ago, mellody said:

And Mika sings about a woman who doesn't keep to these conventions. Who dances like crazy, without caring who watches her, just because she loves it. Who doesn't care if her "best dress" gets dirty or even ripped, because she's not like the little girl in her sunday dress who isn't allowed to play in the sandbox because the pretty dress might get dirty. Who doesn't care if she doesn't look perfect, if her hair gets messed up, if her dancing looks weird, she just enjoys life

I get that but I have to ignore half of the lyrics then. I mean he's singing how this woman isnt dancing for anyone else... after the line before is objectifing her dancing moves :teehee:; or this part

On 10/5/2019 at 12:31 AM, mellody said:

Like she's dancing in her kitchen at home

which is implying what? that women are the most confortable in the kitchen :aah:

Also, what does this part mean? That she is bad at flirting? Wouldnt then her 'im not like the other girls' gimmick mean that she is after a guy as much as every other girl? :aah:

On 10/5/2019 at 12:31 AM, mellody said:

She don't have to aim to miss
Blowing up her lips to make them best to kiss

I feel bad overanalyzing his lyrics but the more I think of this song the more nonsensical it appears to me :aah:

• Like 1

Personally, I relate a lot to this song. Just to make a few examples, I never wear makeup or heels. I am more comfortable with casual clothing and two of my best friends never wear dresses or skirts. I don't even have a boyfriend. And although for me this is not a problem, society does still think differently. Not all that often, but I also have been told to do this or that because it is more "feminine", whatever this means. I have nothing against people who decide to act differently from me, but I do not want to be blamed for my own choices.

And it is often women who utter these sentences. I know women who can't leave their home without makeup, otherwise they do not consider themselves decent enough to be looked at or do not want to appear in photos. And now, with the raise of Instagram, everyone takes pictures in carefully studied poses to be up to the ones posted by the influencers. While I prefer the most spontaneous ones.

At least, this has been my experience so far. So, to me, this song isn't saying that this different girl is better than the others, but that she is not inferior to them just for making different choices. Feel free to be yourself.

On the other side, the thought that he was not talking about a "real" girl at all also hit me. Especially when I listened to the line "Don't believe everything you see". But who knows? I like the fact that different meanings can be found in a song.

As for mentioning the kitchen, I haven't paid attention to it at the beginning. But after some thoughts I believe it may be a casual choice, like this word fits better in the line compared to other rooms names. And afterall, we often see Mika himself in kitchens, cooking and enjoying himself, so I do not think it was intended to have a negative connotation.

Whenever I am listening to this song, I find myself smiling and wanting to move and be happy because life is beautiful. But I understand that everyone has different opinions and reactions and it is ok too :thumb_yello:

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Chris_14 said:

As for mentioning the kitchen, I haven't paid attention to it at the beginning. But after some thoughts I believe it may be a casual choice, like this word fits better in the line compared to other rooms names. And afterall, we often see Mika himself in kitchens, cooking and enjoying himself, so I do not think it was intended to have a negative connotation.

Well obviously, but I could also assume that anyone who makes flippant comments about women doesnt actually mean it negatively. 'Shes dancing like shes in her kitchen' is no different than 'she looks like she woke up with make-up' or 'shes dancing like she wants it' or 'shes crazy not knowing the words of this song'.

Anyway, Ill stop this song just isnt for me :aah:

This is my absolute favourite song from the album! I can't really say why, but it got me the first time I listened to it! It immediately made me wanna dance and jump and I love that. :wub2: For me it's a very happy song and it puts me into such a good mood. I simply love it. :clap:

• Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 6:09 AM, silver said:

Maybe it's not about a "real" girl at all

I thought the same thing when I first heard the song but looking closely at the lyrics now, it can just apply to anyone who is a girl or identifies as a girl.

I agree with a lot that has been said about the song. I think I relate to it in a sense because I'm quite a loud and rowdy woman, and on more that one occasion and I have been told to act more ladylike. I think you can just imagine what I've told people who give me their opinion on my personality. :rolleyes: 

• Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 10:57 PM, miknikel said:

Difficult to listen to this song without moving. On the other hand, I think Mika knows women well, if only through these sisters.

Yep. This song invites you to dance. It's the ideal song to jump and sing in the front row and go crazy. So, I'm ready. Mika here we goooo!!  smilie_tanz_058.gif

• Like 5

I think like many of Mika's songs, there's a duality to Platform Ballerinas.

By the way, I don't own a pair, but I kind of like these Platform Ballerinas

b88dcfdf4a161cf0d5636d8eb6b7a1ad_xlarge.jpg

I could certainly use the added height! LOL! Maybe I should get some!

Anyhow, I think the song could simply be about a woman (like me) who doesn't care what anyone thinks when she's out dancing and having a good time. I'm doing it not for you but for me, and that doesn't make me any less of a girl, or make what I'm doing less valid. And as for "she's dancing in her kitchen" that just means she's dancing like she's right at home, with no one watching -- she's being herself, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks. I get that. So if I sing along even if I don't know the words or if I dance until my hair is a mess, who cares? :dunno:

On the other hand, I think this could also be about a transgender person, or maybe even a drag queen as someone else said. Think about it: Don't believe everything you see. A girl doesn't wake up with makeup and wearing her heart on her sleeve (in other words, being obvious to all). And even if a person DOES wake up with makeup on, does that make them a girl?

"It better be yourself that you're making -- because every other girl out there is taken." In other words, everyone else already has their own identity so be yourself, don't try to be somebody else, somebody you're not.

"Blowing up her lips to make them best to kiss
And that don't make her less of a girl"

Blowing up her lips -- enhancing her lips with collagen, with exaggerated lipstick even?

That won't even help to get a guy to kiss her better -- having "better" lips won't make any guy kiss her more than he would otherwise, right?

And that don't make her less of a girl -- she's still a girl, whether she's kissed by a guy or not, whether she wears makeup or not, whether she wears a dress or not, whether she dances like a fool or not... no matter what she looks like, or does, or how people react to her, or what they think of her, she's still a girl.

Even if she was born a boy.

That's what I think, anyhow.

Or... it could just be a feel-good dance party song. 💃 👯‍♀️👯‍♂️🥳 🎉 🕺

In any case, it's one of my faves on the album... but who am I kidding? I could say that about every song on the album! :teehee:

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcdeb said:

On the other hand, I think this could also be about a transgender person, or maybe even a drag queen as someone else said.

I thought this too, but that might be because I've been binging RuPaul's Drag Race lately. Everytime I hear the song I think how perfect it is for the show.

BTW until a few days ago i was picturing these kind of shoes:  71Xc4y73npL._AC_UY695_.jpg

Not quite the same thing xD

Edited by kreacher
  • Haha 2

I get the message of the song yeah but this seems like a non-issue to me... I mean, I am a gender-nonconforming woman and Ive never felt less than girl and no one ever made me feel that way :dunno: so the song is just bizzare to me and thats why Ive found it very condescending; hes assuming something that just ... never crossed my mind.

Or I guess less than a girl would mean less feminine? But, some women are just less feminine lol, some transwomen are less feminine, some men are more feminine than women. I dont see whats wrong with pointing this out, its just a question of aesthetics and preference not a judgement of value and no one really is denying peoples gender in this instance :dunno:

3 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Blowing up her lips -- enhancing her lips with collagen, with exaggerated lipstick even?

That won't even help to get a guy to kiss her better -- having "better" lips won't make any guy kiss her more than he would otherwise, right?

And that don't make her less of a girl -- she's still a girl, whether she's kissed by a guy or not, whether she wears makeup or not, whether she wears a dress or not, whether she dances like a fool or not... no matter what she looks like, or does, or how people react to her, or what they think of her, she's still a girl.

I agree but.. who says otherwise? This seems redundant to me :aah:

Edit: Also isnt a girl who aint like any other senorita and wont let you ever forget getting ...exactly what she wants when people dont see her as any other girl ? This character in the song just sounds like a bitch who wants to have her cake and eat it too lol.

Edited by ellie

As the album altogether is about Mika's personal stories, this might be about someone he knows - so the things that might seem weird to some may just be about this particular person and their feelings. And many people might find themselves in this story, or at least in parts of it. I can't relate to the last verse about the lips / kissing ... and maybe not that much to the previous one about not knowing the lyrics, I mostly do... :teehee: - but absolutely to the rest of the song. And I think the part about the lyrics is just saying, even if it gets embarrassing and others laugh about you, it's ok, you shouldn't be afraid to express yourself the way you want.

• Like 2