Platform Ballerinas - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

6 minutes ago, krysady said:

I think that he talked about this song in some interview, but can't remember which one, and neither what he said about it... anyone? 

There was one interview where the journalist (who heard the album before) said that Platform Ballerinas and Tomorrow are his favourite songs from this record but after that they only talked about Tomorrow, I don't think he said anything about PB... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mellody said:

As the album altogether is about Mika's personal stories, this might be about someone he knows - so the things that might seem weird to some may just be about this particular person and their feelings

:teehee:

It did cross my mind that he may actually project his own feelings onto this character here since he talked in a couple of instances about feeling unmanly, lesser than heterosexual men etc.

I wish he wouldve written more specifically if he had someone in mind and dont generalize, because this doesnt seem like an universal experience to me :dunno:

For me, it's clearly a song who is inviting us girls to be like we want even if we're not like all the girls are and people want us to be. Even if the times changed, as a girl, it's very frequent people are asking who is our boyfriend, or gives us some make up accessories, even when you're totally boyish ! I think this song don't speak specifically of girls who are dancing in platform ballerinas or what the lyrics tells, it's more Something general, like "you're a girl who doesn't fit in the mold, don't care of what other thinks about you, and be yourself". Like the "dance" thing is just some sort of metaphoric… for being like you want. 

Even if the world changed, girls are always forced to be "feminine" in the other's eyes. It's in the society's DNA, and we fell it even when it's not said… anyway, I feel it. So, I totally finds myself in this song sonce the beginning. I really loves it. Now, it becomes one of my favourites ! 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Great song. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Ideal to dance, dance, dance. He should play it live. I'm at home dancing with this song, in the kitchen as he says in the song, inthe living room, in the bedroom. I see me next month jumping, singing and dancing  among the crowd. smilie_happy_256.gif

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Great song. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Ideal to dance, dance, dance. He should play it live. I'm at home dancing with this song, in the kitchen as he says in the song, inthe living room, in the bedroom. I see me next month jumping, singing and dancing  among the crowd. smilie_happy_256.gif

Oh yes, dancing dancing dancing...   :lmao:
And since we're talking about songs from the new album, what do you think about the idea of the mayor of Sanremo, who would like this song to represent his city? 

8 hours ago, miknikel said:

And since we're talking about songs from the new album, what do you think about the idea of the mayor of Sanremo, who would like this song to represent his city? 

Idk, to me the song doesn't really represent the city, of course, it mentions the city and it's named after Sanremo, but the song isn't about the city itself if you know what I mean... It would work with another Italian town which is located by the sea as well. It's more about the image you get from the song.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mikasister said:

I love it, I can't get enough of it. :dance_man:

This song is about me ! :floor:

I'm not exactly a platform ballerina but the lyrics saying be who you want to be even if you're not that gilrish like other girls or dancing in the kitchen when no one is watching and singing songs not knowing te lyrics perfectly. I fit to Mika's description :biggrin2:

And obviously I LOVE this song! It brings so much power! Girl power! :biggirl:

Edited by Dominika
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Dominika said:

I'm not exactly a platform ballerina but the lyrics saying be who you want to be even if you're not that gilrish like other girls or dancing in the kitchen when no one is watching and singing songs not knowing te lyrics perfectly. I fit to Mika's description :biggrin2:

And me. :hi5:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dominika said:

And me, that's probably why I love it that much! :teehee:

:groupwave:

:group_hug:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dominika said:

Just now, Starlight said:

And me, that's probably why I love it that much! :teehee:

:groupwave:

:group_hug:

The song is made for us. That's  why he should sing it next tour.:biggrin2:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

Idk, to me the song doesn't really represent the city, of course, it mentions the city and it's named after Sanremo, but the song isn't about the city itself if you know what I mean... It would work with another Italian town which is located by the sea as well. It's more about the image you get from the song.

Which is why I asked the question. I even think that this song is better suited to represent a cause rather than a city.

20 hours ago, ellie said:

I could probably warm up to this song if I knew its about drag queens :aah:

That's the only thing that would make the lyrics make any sense! A girl dancing around in her best dress is about the girly-est thing possible, so the whiplash of turning around and saying it doesn't make her less of a girl? It hurts!

• Like 2

While I agree that some lines would fit well to a drag queen, I don't think the first 2 lines do. "Dancing in her platform ballerinas, that's about as girly as she gets" - I might be wrong, but don't drag queens mostly wear high heels and also in any other way try to look as girly as possible? That just doesn't fit. :dunno: