Platform Ballerinas - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

20 minutes ago, mellody said:

and also in any other way try to look as girly as possible?

Maybe this is exactly the explanation, she is trying but this is the most she can get about being girly, even if she's trying hard...  and if you read all the lyrics from this point of view, they really make sense, all of them, imo :original:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, krysady said:

Maybe this is exactly the explanation, she is trying but this is the most she can get about being girly, even if she's trying hard...  and if you read all the lyrics from this point of view, they really make sense, all of them, imo :original:

Thats what I wanted to say too haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mellody said:

While I agree that some lines would fit well to a drag queen, I don't think the first 2 lines do. "Dancing in her platform ballerinas, that's about as girly as she gets" - I might be wrong, but don't drag queens mostly wear high heels and also in any other way try to look as girly as possible? That just doesn't fit. :dunno:

The lyrics have several meanings. I feel identified in some parts and I am not a drag :naughty:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

The lyrics have several meanings. I feel identified in some parts and I am not a drag :naughty:

Yes, same here.

Maybe it's like with "Georgia" and "April" in Good Gone Girl, just that he doesn't use names. :teehee:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

And I dont care if the song is about  drag queens, girls or any other people, it is ideal to dance, jump and sing and I hope he plays it the next tour to drives us crazy :dance_man:

YEEEEEEEAAAAAH :excite:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mellody said:

While I agree that some lines would fit well to a drag queen, I don't think the first 2 lines do. "Dancing in her platform ballerinas, that's about as girly as she gets" - I might be wrong, but don't drag queens mostly wear high heels and also in any other way try to look as girly as possible? That just doesn't fit. :dunno:

But platform ballerinas are high

image.png.5a93642bed53e377a0a7dbe930d73865.png  image.png.17ddfb37c0f4a1769a55c7271d5df265.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, silver said:

But platform ballerinas are high

image.png.5a93642bed53e377a0a7dbe930d73865.png  image.png.17ddfb37c0f4a1769a55c7271d5df265.png

Of course. But it's not about platform high, but about stilettos / high heels.

Well, admittedly I don't know much about drag queens, I can just talk about the few I've seen. In any case, in my eyes the lyrics fit better to a girl than a drag queen, but I agree it could be either, or both.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mellody said:

Of course. But it's not about platform high, but about stilettos / high heels.

Well, admittedly I don't know much about drag queens, I can just talk about the few I've seen. In any case, in my eyes the lyrics fit better to a girl than a drag queen, but I agree it could be either, or both.

We can ask him next time. Mika can you tell us please if PB is about drag or girls like us?  :naughty:  Didn't he say there was a song that talked about his fans?  

having heard all the songs, the only one that can come closer, is this.  :dunno:

19 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

We can ask him next time. Mika can you tell us please if PB is about drag or girls like us?  :naughty:  Didn't he say there was a song that talked about his fans?  

having heard all the songs, the only one that can come closer, is this.  :dunno:

That's actually a very good point! I haven't been thinking about that so far, but it makes sense to me! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

It might also be Stay High - although he wouldn't call us "baby" :teehee:, and the part about the fingertips... well, it could be fans trying to touch him when he comes near the crowd. :naughty: At least that would explain his "me, you" pointing during what I first thought was Tiny Love, but indeed it was the Tiny Love Reprise / Stay High part.

But maybe he didn't even mean there'd be a song about his fans. I also interpreted it that way, but what he said was "and even about some of you", in a message to his fans - it could as well mean that some fans might identify themselves with some of his songs - and that is certainly the case, even if he hasn't written any of them particularly about his fans. :dunno:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mellody said:

It might also be Stay High - although he wouldn't call us "baby" :teehee:, and the part about the fingertips... well, it could be fans trying to touch him when he comes near the crowd. :naughty: At least that would explain his "me, you" pointing during what I first thought was Tiny Love, but indeed it was the Tiny Love Reprise / Stay High part.

But maybe he didn't even mean there'd be a song about his fans. I also interpreted it that way, but what he said was "and even about some of you", in a message to his fans - it could as well mean that some fans might identify themselves with some of his songs - and that is certainly the case, even if he hasn't written any of them particularly about his fans. :dunno:

It'll be a mystery until someone gets to ask him. :teehee:

Edited by Starlight
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mellody said:

These are my thoughts as well, I don't think there's a song talking in particular about fans in this album, it's about this feeling that we can resonate so well with some of them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mikasister said:

I believe the song he meant to be talking about the fans is "Dear Jealousy". What led me to think about that it's the intro he did for it during the Tiny Love Tiny Tour, when he said he was jealous of the other artist that were singing in front of us instead of him. Jealousy is the emotion that make him realise it was time to get back on stage.

So what he probably meant in the Christmas video was not a song about the fans, but his reaction to the fans going to other artists concerts'. It's still about fans but from his perspective, not ours.

That's what I think; or it could be possible that the reference to the fans is more subtle and we still have to find it. :dunno:

15 hours ago, mellody said:

That could be another explanation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ellys said:

I believe the song he meant to be talking about the fans is "Dear Jealousy". What led me to think about that it's the intro he did for it during the Tiny Love Tiny Tour, when he said he was jealous of the other artist that were singing in front of us instead of him. Jealousy is the emotion that make him realise it was time to get back on stage.

So what he probably meant in the Christmas video was not a song about the fans, but his reaction to the fans going to other artists concerts'. It's still about fans but from his perspective, not ours.

That's what I think; or it could be possible that the reference to the fans is more subtle and we still have to find it. :dunno:

Well, I guess every ppl have their own interpretation, the only thing I know is that I identify with some verses of the song, so for me it has something to do with fans but I promise if I have the chance to ask him, we will leave doubts. :naughty:

• Like 5

I think that the songs with no explanation from him are made for people to fantisize and interpret them the way they want ……..whatever (and no matter) if you're a girly or a drag ………..or just a crazy old fan singing alone in your kitchen :naughty:

Edited by carafon
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Well, I guess every ppl have their own interpretation, the only thing I know is that I identify with some verses of the song, so for me it has something to do with fans but I promise if I have the chance to ask him, we will leave doubts. :naughty:

I count on you :aah:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, carafon said:

I think that the songs with no explanation from him are made for people to fantisize and interpret them the way they want ……..whatever (and no matter) if you're a girly or a drag ………..or just a crazy old fan singing alone in your kitchen :naughty:

:clap::clap:

On 10/26/2019 at 3:20 PM, Ellys said:

I agree with you, even if I don’t remember what he said in the intro to the Tiny Tour, I think the link to his fans is the jealousy He feels for others sometimes, and when He performed Dear Jealousy in the Tiny Tour, when He sings “I’m jealous of us” He indicated the audience and him together..so Mika and his fans...

Another reference to his fans maybe it could be found in Platform Ballerinas, because many of his fans are girls and women, and He could speak to us in this song, where the girls dance in front of him but not for him, but for them..he speaks to all the girls and women to give them courage to be themselves. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I really think this song is about a drag queen. When he says “That's about as girly as she gets” it’s because it’s a man dressed as a woman. When he says “Don't believe everything you see” it’s because many drag queens tend to be very feminine and get confused as woman. The chorus is talking about a drag queen show, some drag queens get really messy on stage and might not know the words to the song they are performing but they still enjoy what they do. Also, most of the art of drag is all about woman impersonation, that’s why Mika talks about being girly or being a woman.

• Like 1

Hi, @Fernando Logan :bye: Welcome to MFC :welcomeani:

54 minutes ago, Fernando Logan said:

I really think this song is about a drag queen.

Yes, I agree with you and for me there's no doubts that this is what this song is about, those lyrics are extremely clear.  And even if at the beginning I didn't really liked this song, now I enjoy it a lot because suddenly everything makes sense :thumb_yello:

Edited by krysady

1 hour ago, Fernando Logan said:

I really think this song is about a drag queen. When he says “That's about as girly as she gets” it’s because it’s a man dressed as a woman. When he says “Don't believe everything you see” it’s because many drag queens tend to be very feminine and get confused as woman. The chorus is talking about a drag queen show, some drag queens get really messy on stage and might not know the words to the song they are performing but they still enjoy what they do. Also, most of the art of drag is all about woman impersonation, that’s why Mika talks about being girly or being a woman.

Hola Fernando. 

Yes, that' why i posted  Priscila's vid because fits really good with the song. I really love the song, even more now i had the chance to hear it live and its an  ideal song to dance. 

• Like 1