Platform Ballerinas - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

He tells a bit more about PB in this Italian interview:

On 11/17/2019 at 7:41 AM, Kumazzz said:

28) To whom is the song dedicated to dancing shoes, Platform Ballerinas?

They are shoes that tell the feminine sacrifice, the manipulation of the body. But also the crazy side of women.

29) Who inspired you the piece?

Geri Halliwell, who at the time of the Spice Girls wore raised dancers. And my sister Jasmine who is a stylist and can't dance but tries to make everyone laugh.

I guess if I was convinced the song is about a drag queen, this wouldn't convince me otherwise, because, I mean, Geri Halliwell, really?! I think he might be telling rubbish, as he sometimes does if he doesn't want to answer a question. :teehee: Or maybe she just inspired him to use this song title / the shoes as a symbol for what he wanted to tell in the song.

I don't know what the song is about, could be about a woman or about a drag... apparently not about fans, as I had thought. I already gave up that thought after I had seen him perform it live in London, his performance somehow didn't fit to my theory.

But if he actually wrote it about Yasmine, I don't know if she'd be so happy to know that people think it's about a drag queen. :naughty:

Edit: although, if he says "the crazy side of women", that could well be about fans. :lmao::lmao:

• Haha 3

The line “that dont make her less of a girl” makes me think of transgender women rather than people in drag. Its a big thing that trans women are expected to behave in a very femminine way to be respected for their gender so this is why many trans people love this song. 

i love the idea of it being about his sisters. Mikas sisters are icons 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one who thinks the line "She don't have to aim to miss" gives it away that this song is about drag queens?

But this is what I love about Mika's songs. They can have different meanings depending on your perspective. You can look at each song in a number af angles. 

Edited by Borj
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Borj said:

Am I the only one who thinks the line "She don't have to aim to miss" gives it away that this song is about drag queens?

But this is what I love about Mika's songs. They can have different meanings depending on your perspective. You can look at each song in a number af angles. 

Hello and welcome to the MFC @Borj  :welcomeani:if you want you can introduce yourself here https://www.mikafanclub.com/forum/5-introductions/ and tell us something more about you,  how you discovered Mika and why you like him.

I always thougth this song is dedicated to indipendent girls and women that don't need to be like models or princess to be feminine or actractive. I think it is like an hymn to femminility, the real one that is not made of makeup or dancing like a star, but of feeling beautiful and not caring about others opinion. It's a very nice song!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Camilla Serendipity Gotti said:

I always thougth this song is dedicated to indipendent girls and women that don't need to be like models or princess to be feminine or actractive. I think it is like an hymn to femminility, the real one that is not made of makeup or dancing like a star, but of feeling beautiful and not caring about others opinion. It's a very nice song!

Nice song an ideal to dance 😀

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

First off, this is a great song- fantastic to dance to! I love the concept of women being allowed to be themselves independent of judgment and feeling tied down to societal standards.

While listening to this song, I started thinking that the person MIKA is talking about might be a trans woman or a lesbian, someone who isn't always accepted as a woman. MIKA repeats "and that don't make her less of a girl" so many times that I'm thinking that there is a general lack of acceptance of this person as one. I was trying to think about why MIKA would write this song and thought that it might actually reflect how he isn't always accepted as a man since he is gay and he's portraying this through a song about a woman in a similar situation.

Just a bit of speculation. I'm interested if anyone concurs or has other ideas.

• Like 1

• dcdeb changed the title to Platform Ballerinas - Song and Lyrics Discussion