Cry

silver

18 minutes ago, mellody said:

After listening several times, I agree, that it sounds like it's about some sort of addiction. Could be a person, a habit, an item - or actual drugs/alcohol, which of course I hope it isn't.

Maybe he's addicted to chainsaws - they hurt him, right? :lmao:

In fact the song has grown on me as well now. It's still my least fave, but it slowly crawls into your head. Addictive. :mf_rosetinted: :teehee:

i think you're right! :lmao: He's a "slave to the rhythm" of that sweet chainsaw motor 

I was just thinking today how this song is like a little bug that crawls into your brain and makes a nest there where it lives & dances around. And the times when you aren't thinking of the song it's just sleeping.

I guess it makes sense if it's about addiction cause he made it addictive as f**k

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, kreacher said:

i think you're right! :lmao: He's a "slave to the rhythm" of that sweet chainsaw motor 

I was just thinking today how this song is like a little bug that crawls into your brain and makes a nest there where it lives & dances around. And the times when you aren't thinking of the song it's just sleeping.

I guess it makes sense if it's about addiction cause he made it addictive as f**k

But with a chainsaw, shackles are not a problem anymore... :teehee:

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

But with a chainsaw, shackles are not a problem anymore... :teehee:

Maybe the shackles stand for the protective clothing he should wear for not getting hurt. :mf_rosetinted: :naughty:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mellody said:

4 hours ago, kreacher said:

You just won best comment of the year on the MFC! That line won't be the same ever again :lmfao:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sara09 said:

You just won best comment of the year on the MFC! That line won't be the same ever again :lmfao:

Great. Now we have one song about Mika's cat and one about his chainsaw collection. What's next? "Platform Ballerinas" being about his dogs? :naughty:

• Haha 3

On 10/8/2019 at 5:38 AM, dcdeb said:

It's grown on me as well, but not my favorite either. Curious, what's the worst song on the album, in your opinion?

Missed this question - atm worst song is Stay High, but I'm not keen on I Went To Hell Last Night, Blue and Platform Ballerinas either.

I think the harder question would be what is my favourite song?

• 2 weeks later...

From the "Le Fatto Quotidiano" interview:

Your current period is not simple.

I would say sad, but sadness is like a drug: it has an intoxicating effect.

With that quote, I'd say that's what Cry is about, sadness. It makes him cry, but he feels drawn towards it. I don't think I'd have made this connection without this interview, because for me, sadness certainly isn't something I find intoxicating or am drawn towards. Maybe I did as a teenager, but not anymore today.

I love finding these little clues about his songs in interviews. :teehee:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mellody said:

With that quote, I'd say that's what Cry is about, sadness. It makes him cry, but he feels drawn towards it. I don't think I'd have made this connection without this interview, because for me, sadness certainly isn't something I find intoxicating or drawn towards. Maybe I did as a teenager, but not anymore today.

That's it, you're right! I would also never have interpreted it this way, but after reading this bit it totally makes sense!

:thumb_yello:

5 hours ago, Starlight said:

Eso es, tienes razón! Tampoco lo hubiera interpretado de esta manera, pero después de leer este fragmento, ¡tiene sentido!

: thumb_yello:

Great discovery! The song speaks of sadness. I read the lyrics again...it's so sad...poor boy...he is very sad and he always always always with  smile...🥺

Edited by Megustaelpulpo

On 10/21/2019 at 10:54 PM, mellody said:

With that quote, I'd say that's what Cry is about, sadness. It makes him cry, but he feels drawn towards it. I don't think I'd have made this connection without this interview, because for me, sadness certainly isn't something I find intoxicating or am drawn towards. Maybe I did as a teenager, but not anymore today.

I wasnt too far off then :lmfao:

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 11:45 PM, krysady said:

Ice Cream :aah:

Same for me …….It's been ok in live concerts and acoustic versions but on the recording I feel like there is Maria Sharapova playing a match in the next room :naughty:

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, mellody said:

After listening several times, I agree, that it sounds like it's about some sort of addiction. Could be a person, a habit, an item - or actual drugs/alcohol, which of course I hope it isn't.

In fact the song has grown on me as well now. It's still my least fave, but it slowly crawls into your head. Addictive. :mf_rosetinted: :teehee:

Could it be about the time he didn't have any inspiration to make new songs?

When he thought that maybe his career was about to finish and he was not as much in love with music as before ?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hannah Morton said:

Has anyone else looked at the lyrics from the book (in the cd case) and noticed the first two verses have diffrent lyrics written down from what MIKA is singing? Or is this just the US version? I would be intrested to know if anyone else saw this!

The lyrics in the booklet are just wrong - check our Lyrics thread for a better version

• 4 weeks later...

this song is for me an anti depressive especially when he sing :

l'll be OK again, I'll be OK again
 I'll be OK again, I won't cry over you  ... i stop cry and stay Ok again it's magic :wink2:

• 1 month later...

I like this song a lot. I like the rhythm, I like the way Mika is pronouncing words - very softly but as he decided something and he will not change his decision even if it hurts.

I wonder if it's not about his separation with Greg Wells....

They say it is Greg's sound on all Mika's records (before MNIMH of course).

"Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm
I've got shackles on my feet...."

As he was tired not to create his music as he feels it. It was getting heavier and heavier.

"I can't be your bitch to the rhythm
That won't be enough for me"

In one of interviews Mika said that this separation was like a "divorce" for him - even they were not "married" with Greg.

"Why do I keep on finding ways to be next to you
When no one makes me feel more alone than you"

But Mika decides to go his own way even if it hurts - he will not cry over. 

"l'll be OK again, I'll be OK again
I'll be OK again, I won't cry over you"

Well, this is my interpretation 😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I like this song a lot. I like the rhythm, I like the way Mika is pronouncing words - very softly but as he decided something and he will not change his decision even if it hurts.

I wonder if it's not about his separation with Greg Wells....

They say it is Greg's sound on all Mika's records (before MNIMH of course).

"Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm
I've got shackles on my feet...."

As he was tired not to create his music as he feels it. It was getting heavier and heavier.

"I can't be your bitch to the rhythm
That won't be enough for me"

In one of interviews Mika said that this separation was like a "divorce" for him - even they were not "married" with Greg.

"Why do I keep on finding ways to be next to you
When no one makes me feel more alone than you"

But Mika decides to go his own way even if it hurts - he will not cry over. 

"l'll be OK again, I'll be OK again
I'll be OK again, I won't cry over you"

Well, this is my interpretation 😀

Interresting !

I thought it was about being unable to create music for a while because of the music industry ,but you may be right ,or could be a mix

• Like 1

I think you all try to read too much into these lyrics (and the other songs).

A good songwriter can take inspiration from a fleeting mood, something someone says, a chance event, and imagine themselves in that situation.  It doesn't always have to be directly about the writer.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, silver said:

A good songwriter can take inspiration from a fleeting mood, something someone says, a chance event, and imagine themselves in that situation.  It doesn't always have to be directly about the writer.

When Mika tells us the story about a  song  we find out a new meaning.

For Cry it was my interpretation from the begining. I did not do any text analysis or anything.

But as fans here very often say they don't know what this song can be about I just put my interpretation.You can agree or not.

Generally I do not analyse each and every word of the song. Often I just feel the song without correct understanding of the lyrics.

Yes, I do not know all Mika songs by heart :mfr_lol: Some of them yes, but not all.

1 hour ago, silver said:

Generally true, and I'm sure there are some Mika songs that is true for - for example Platform Ballerinas or Oh Girl You're the Devil could be songs like that. I thought also Celebrate, but not sure about that anymore meanwhile...

Anyway, Mika says this album is deeply personal , and I believe he put a lot of thought into it. He always says "listen to my music if you want to understand me", so that's what I try, to find out what he means with his lyrics.

@Anna Ko Kolkowska @carafon interesting interpretations, thanks for sharing!

• Like 3