Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, mellody said:

 

After listening several times, I agree, that it sounds like it's about some sort of addiction. Could be a person, a habit, an item - or actual drugs/alcohol, which of course I hope it isn't.

 

Maybe he's addicted to chainsaws - they hurt him, right? :lmao:

 

In fact the song has grown on me as well now. It's still my least fave, but it slowly crawls into your head. Addictive. :mf_rosetinted: :teehee:

 

i think you're right! :lmao: He's a "slave to the rhythm" of that sweet chainsaw motor 

 

I was just thinking today how this song is like a little bug that crawls into your brain and makes a nest there where it lives & dances around. And the times when you aren't thinking of the song it's just sleeping.

I guess it makes sense if it's about addiction cause he made it addictive as f**k

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kreacher said:

 

i think you're right! :lmao: He's a "slave to the rhythm" of that sweet chainsaw motor 

 

I was just thinking today how this song is like a little bug that crawls into your brain and makes a nest there where it lives & dances around. And the times when you aren't thinking of the song it's just sleeping.

I guess it makes sense if it's about addiction cause he made it addictive as f**k

 

 

But with a chainsaw, shackles are not a problem anymore... :teehee:

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

 

But with a chainsaw, shackles are not a problem anymore... :teehee:

 

Maybe the shackles stand for the protective clothing he should wear for not getting hurt. :mf_rosetinted: :naughty:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mellody said:

Maybe he's addicted to chainsaws - they hurt him, right? :lmao:

 

4 hours ago, kreacher said:

 

i think you're right! :lmao: He's a "slave to the rhythm" of that sweet chainsaw motor 

 

You just won best comment of the year on the MFC! That line won't be the same ever again :lmfao:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sara09 said:

 

 

You just won best comment of the year on the MFC! That line won't be the same ever again :lmfao:

 

Great. Now we have one song about Mika's cat and one about his chainsaw collection. What's next? "Platform Ballerinas" being about his dogs? :naughty:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 5:38 AM, dcdeb said:

 

 

It's grown on me as well, but not my favorite either. Curious, what's the worst song on the album, in your opinion?

 

Missed this question - atm worst song is Stay High, but I'm not keen on I Went To Hell Last Night, Blue and Platform Ballerinas either.

 

I think the harder question would be what is my favourite song?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the "Le Fatto Quotidiano" interview:

 

Your current period is not simple.

I would say sad, but sadness is like a drug: it has an intoxicating effect.

 

With that quote, I'd say that's what Cry is about, sadness. It makes him cry, but he feels drawn towards it. I don't think I'd have made this connection without this interview, because for me, sadness certainly isn't something I find intoxicating or am drawn towards. Maybe I did as a teenager, but not anymore today.

 

I love finding these little clues about his songs in interviews. :teehee:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mellody said:

From the "Le Fatto Quotidiano" interview:

 

Your current period is not simple.

I would say sad, but sadness is like a drug: it has an intoxicating effect.

 

With that quote, I'd say that's what Cry is about, sadness. It makes him cry, but he feels drawn towards it. I don't think I'd have made this connection without this interview, because for me, sadness certainly isn't something I find intoxicating or drawn towards. Maybe I did as a teenager, but not anymore today.

 

I love finding these little clues about his songs in interviews. :teehee:

That's it, you're right! I would also never have interpreted it this way, but after reading this bit it totally makes sense!

:thumb_yello:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 7:38 AM, dcdeb said:

Curious, what's the worst song on the album, in your opinion?

Ice Cream :aah:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 6:38 AM, dcdeb said:

 Curious, what's the worst song on the album, in your opinion?

 

Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Starlight said:

Eso es, tienes razón! Tampoco lo hubiera interpretado de esta manera, pero después de leer este fragmento, ¡tiene sentido!

: thumb_yello:

Great discovery! The song speaks of sadness. I read the lyrics again...it's so sad...poor boy...he is very sad and he always always always with  smile...🥺

Edited by Megustaelpulpo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 10:54 PM, mellody said:

From the "Le Fatto Quotidiano" interview:

 

Your current period is not simple.

I would say sad, but sadness is like a drug: it has an intoxicating effect.

 

With that quote, I'd say that's what Cry is about, sadness. It makes him cry, but he feels drawn towards it. I don't think I'd have made this connection without this interview, because for me, sadness certainly isn't something I find intoxicating or am drawn towards. Maybe I did as a teenager, but not anymore today.

 

I love finding these little clues about his songs in interviews. :teehee:

 

I wasnt too far off then :lmfao:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 11:45 PM, krysady said:

Ice Cream :aah:

Same for me …….It's been ok in live concerts and acoustic versions but on the recording I feel like there is Maria Sharapova playing a match in the next room :naughty:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 5:53 PM, mellody said:

 

After listening several times, I agree, that it sounds like it's about some sort of addiction. Could be a person, a habit, an item - or actual drugs/alcohol, which of course I hope it isn't.

 

Maybe he's addicted to chainsaws - they hurt him, right? :lmao:

 

In fact the song has grown on me as well now. It's still my least fave, but it slowly crawls into your head. Addictive. :mf_rosetinted: :teehee:

Could it be about the time he didn't have any inspiration to make new songs?

When he thought that maybe his career was about to finish and he was not as much in love with music as before ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else looked at the lyrics from the book (in the cd case) and noticed the first two verses have diffrent lyrics written down from what MIKA is singing? Or is this just the US version? I would be intrested to know if anyone else saw this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hannah Morton said:

Has anyone else looked at the lyrics from the book (in the cd case) and noticed the first two verses have diffrent lyrics written down from what MIKA is singing? Or is this just the US version? I would be intrested to know if anyone else saw this!

 

The lyrics in the booklet are just wrong - check our Lyrics thread for a better version

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this song is for me an anti depressive especially when he sing :

l'll be OK again, I'll be OK again
 I'll be OK again, I won't cry over you  ... i stop cry and stay Ok again it's magic :wink2:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this song a lot. I like the rhythm, I like the way Mika is pronouncing words - very softly but as he decided something and he will not change his decision even if it hurts.

 

I wonder if it's not about his separation with Greg Wells....

They say it is Greg's sound on all Mika's records (before MNIMH of course).

 

"Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm
I've got shackles on my feet...."

 

As he was tired not to create his music as he feels it. It was getting heavier and heavier.

 

"I can't be your bitch to the rhythm
That won't be enough for me"

 

 

In one of interviews Mika said that this separation was like a "divorce" for him - even they were not "married" with Greg.

 

"Why do I keep on finding ways to be next to you
When no one makes me feel more alone than you"

 

But Mika decides to go his own way even if it hurts - he will not cry over. 

 

"l'll be OK again, I'll be OK again
I'll be OK again, I won't cry over you"

 

 

Well, this is my interpretation 😀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I like this song a lot. I like the rhythm, I like the way Mika is pronouncing words - very softly but as he decided something and he will not change his decision even if it hurts.

 

I wonder if it's not about his separation with Greg Wells....

They say it is Greg's sound on all Mika's records (before MNIMH of course).

 

"Cause I can’t be your slave to the rhythm
I've got shackles on my feet...."

 

As he was tired not to create his music as he feels it. It was getting heavier and heavier.

 

"I can't be your bitch to the rhythm
That won't be enough for me"

 

 

In one of interviews Mika said that this separation was like a "divorce" for him - even they were not "married" with Greg.

 

"Why do I keep on finding ways to be next to you
When no one makes me feel more alone than you"

 

But Mika decides to go his own way even if it hurts - he will not cry over. 

 

"l'll be OK again, I'll be OK again
I'll be OK again, I won't cry over you"

 

 

Well, this is my interpretation 😀

Interresting !

I thought it was about being unable to create music for a while because of the music industry ,but you may be right ,or could be a mix

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you all try to read too much into these lyrics (and the other songs).

 

A good songwriter can take inspiration from a fleeting mood, something someone says, a chance event, and imagine themselves in that situation.  It doesn't always have to be directly about the writer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, silver said:

I think you all try to read too much into these lyrics (and the other songs).

 

A good songwriter can take inspiration from a fleeting mood, something someone says, a chance event, and imagine themselves in that situation.  It doesn't always have to be directly about the writer.

 

 

When Mika tells us the story about a  song  we find out a new meaning.

For Cry it was my interpretation from the begining. I did not do any text analysis or anything.

But as fans here very often say they don't know what this song can be about I just put my interpretation.You can agree or not.

Generally I do not analyse each and every word of the song. Often I just feel the song without correct understanding of the lyrics.

Yes, I do not know all Mika songs by heart :mfr_lol: Some of them yes, but not all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, silver said:

I think you all try to read too much into these lyrics (and the other songs).

 

A good songwriter can take inspiration from a fleeting mood, something someone says, a chance event, and imagine themselves in that situation.  It doesn't always have to be directly about the writer.

 

Generally true, and I'm sure there are some Mika songs that is true for - for example Platform Ballerinas or Oh Girl You're the Devil could be songs like that. I thought also Celebrate, but not sure about that anymore meanwhile...

Anyway, Mika says this album is deeply personal , and I believe he put a lot of thought into it. He always says "listen to my music if you want to understand me", so that's what I try, to find out what he means with his lyrics.

 

@Anna Ko Kolkowska @carafon interesting interpretations, thanks for sharing!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you still haven't realized that the song talks about when I left him  :lmfao:
 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.