Beware of fake Mika accounts on Social Media!

mellody

ATTENTION MIKA FANS: Several of you have written to us asking about someone on Facebook or on Instagram pretending to be MIKA. Please know that this is NOT really Mika - he will not contact you privately in this way. Mika is not starting an account for his "best" fans, and he is NOT asking for money for you to join a private fan club.

If someone saying that they are Mika contacts you like this, please take a screen shot of the message and send it to us here at Mika Fan Club.

Please make your Mika fan friends aware of this, too! Be suspicious and cautious of anyone who asks you for your personal information or, worse, money! Mika Fan Club will not ask you for money to join -- it is free and open to all Mika fans.

If you have any questions at all, please write to us here, or send us an email at mfcregister@gmail.com

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• 2 months later...

That's not even very good French  :lmfao:

But I guess if you were young and really thought it was Mika you might be tempted to reply.

Miknikel, can you report the account to Instagram?

There are loads of presumably fake Andy accounts on instagram, but i don't think they are contacting people. Some of the bios for the fake Mika and fake Andy accounts are really cringy 😂

Edited by WeirdChild
Spelling mistakes
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WeirdChild said:

There are loads of presumably fake Andy accounts on instagram, but i don't think they are contacting people. Some of the bios for the fake Mika and fake Andy accounts are really cringy 😂

One of them even has “im not a fake” in the bio which is immediately telling everyone its a fake 😂😂

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

encountered one on Twitter... I was a bit bored and knew that he was fake, so I pretend to chat with him, he keeps insisting on opening a hangout account, but his english was quite hard to understand completely... so I couldn't figure out what he really wants... anyway, hopefully no one will fall for it... the fake account is shown in the attached image 

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 11.18.13 PM.png

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2020 at 6:19 PM, HueyChing said:

encountered one on Twitter... I was a bit bored and knew that he was fake, so I pretend to chat with him, he keeps insisting on opening a hangout account, but his english was quite hard to understand completely... so I couldn't figure out what he really wants... anyway, hopefully no one will fall for it... the fake account is shown in the attached image 

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 11.18.13 PM.png

It's quite fun actually  :roftl:

• Haha 1

@Irem Aytepe, there’s actually more conversation after what I posted... the conversation actually ended with me asking him “what do you mean you’re a mother?”... I have no idea why he keeps mentioning “mother”... I presume has to do with some mistranslation from French to English, but I can’t speak French so I couldn’t figure out...

Edited by HueyChing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HueyChing said:

@Irem Aytepe, there’s actually more conversation after what I posted... the conversation actually ended with me asking him “what do you mean you’re a mother?”... I have no idea why he keeps mentioning “mother”... I presume has to do with some mistranslation from French to English, but I can’t speak French so I couldn’t figure out...

Heheh It's really weird also I still don't know what he or she try to tell

If you want to pretend like Mika you need to know english! Be clever pls!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Irem Aytepe said:

Heheh It's really weird also I still don't know what he or she try to tell

If you want to pretend like Mika you need to know english! Be clever pls!

I’m also quite curious about the psychological aspect of these people, why do they want to use the love of others have for someone as a tool to benefit themselves? ... and Why do they think it will actually works? ... hopefully no fans have been scammed before... 

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

Bumping this thread as a reminder -- I have had several messages from fans who have been contacted by another fake "Mika" wanting to have them join in a Google hangout.

I think all of our fans here understand that Mika isn't going to contact them this way, but perhaps some newer members might be unsure. To be clear, I'll repost our original message:

ATTENTION MIKA FANS: Several of you have written to us asking about someone on social media pretending to be MIKA. Please know that this is NOT really Mika - he will not contact you privately in this way. Mika is not starting an account for his "best" fans, and he is NOT asking for money for you to join a private fan club.

The only social media accounts that Mika uses publicly are Instagram, where he is @mikainstagram, and Twitter, where he is @mikasounds. The MIKA page on Facebook (which is facebook.com/mikasounds) is operated by his team.

If someone saying that they are Mika or a member of his team contacts you using any other account, please report the account to proper platform. Also if you think of it, take a screen shot of the message and send it to us here at Mika Fan Club.

Please make your Mika fan friends aware of this, too! Be suspicious and cautious of anyone who asks you for your personal information or, worse, money! Neither Mika nor Mika Fan Club will ask you for money -- the MFC is free and open to all Mika fans.

If you have any questions at all, please write to us here, or send us an email at mfcregister@gmail.com

• Like 6

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Hero said:

Do we have a list of known fake accounts? 

We don't actually because we usually try to get them deleted by whatever platform.

This latest particular problem is on Facebook, though, and we have tried to get the account deleted without success.

It's Mika_Officiel_Fan on Facebook.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/31/2020 at 7:32 PM, HueyChing said:

I’m also quite curious about the psychological aspect of these people, why do they want to use the love of others have for someone as a tool to benefit themselves? ... and Why do they think it will actually works? ... hopefully no fans have been scammed before... 

On 10/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, mellody said:

ATTENTION MIKA FANS: Several of you have written to us asking about someone on Facebook or on Instagram pretending to be MIKA. Please know that this is NOT really Mika - he will not contact you privately in this way. Mika is not starting an account for his "best" fans, and he is NOT asking for money for you to join a private fan club.

If someone saying that they are Mika contacts you like this, please take a screen shot of the message and send it to us here at Mika Fan Club.

Please make your Mika fan friends aware of this, too! Be suspicious and cautious of anyone who asks you for your personal information or, worse, money! Mika Fan Club will not ask you for money to join -- it is free and open to all Mika fans.

hi the fake account  create new account on Mika name with Mika_Official _Fan. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MyriamNeeme said:

I was one of them who the fake account of Mika ask me send him money to save his business. 

Hi and welcome to the MFC. Could you make a screenshot of the message the fake account send you and send post it here please. And maybe you can introduce yourself here  https://www.mikafanclub.com/forum/5-introductions/  so we can all welcome you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcdeb said:

We don't actually because we usually try to get them deleted by whatever platform.

This latest particular problem is on Facebook, though, and we have tried to get the account deleted without success.

It's Mika_Officiel_Fan on Facebook.

This account keeps posting under fan comments and I had also reported to the people who manage mika's  facebook page but I guess they can't block it from replying there because it is a public page so all they can do is remove the replies  when they see them...I have also reported it to facebook a while ago as it had replied to my comments but it is still active indeed :sad:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

This account keeps posting under fan comments and I had also reported to the people who manage mika's  facebook page but I guess they can't block it from replying there because it is a public page so all they can do is remove the replies  when they see them...I have also reported it to facebook a while ago as it had replied to my comments but it is still active indeed :sad:

Yes, Mika's team is aware of this issue and is working on getting the page taken down. It just hasn't happened yet. :(

I've reported it a few times myself, but FB is slow to do anything. :mad3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe we could have a 'wall of shame' listing the known scam sites that haven't been taken down yet? 

If any members are contacted and feel like engaging them, PLEASE make sure you follow the golden rules of baiting:

1 Stay safe. Always stay safe. Don't provide any personal details or 'real life' info. However pathetic they seem, however much it might seem like a bit of fun, remember scammers are criminals. They often work in gangs. They are often skilled in social engineering and manipulation. If in doubt, walk away. I cannot stress this enough. 

2 Don't help the scammers to improve their scams. Eg a post above made fun of the scammer's poor English. That's actually a good thing, as its a warning sign for potential victims. If a scammer contacts you with poor language or makes incorrect statements, sure have a laugh but don't correct them. Let them make fools of themselves, but don't let them know their mistakes. 

To be clear, I am not encouraging members to do this. Please only engage them if you are sure it's something you can be involved in safely. ❤️

• Like 1