Mika Cover Story [ STYLE Magazine Italia ] November 2019

Kumazzz

INSTAGRAM

#StyleMagazineItalia November Issue Cover featuring @mikainstagram
Ph. by @laurenthumbert05
Styling @lucarosc
Interview @valeravi
Grooming @augusto_picerni -
Available from TOMORROW October 30th at the newsstand along with @corriere #coverpreview #mika #novemberissue #singerslife #cover #preview #corrieredellasera #stylerestyling

• Thanks 1

STYLE magazine

https://style.corriere.it/news/styles-november-issue-a-great-show-with-mika-on-the-cover/

29 ottobre 2019

Style’s November issue: a great show with Mika on the cover

Masks and clothes as a form of disguise, winter and cool fashion, going back to our roots and watches:

Style is back with his amazing new format. There’s even a charity auction for the fight against bullying.

On sale at newsstands on 30 October, with the Corriere della Sera newspaper. Italian version

A new album. A crazy tour. And the cover of the November issue of Style. It’s all happening for the singer Michael Holbrook, a.k.a. Mika (photos by Laurent Humbert, styling by Luca Roscini). “I deal with my pain by singing in front of an audience,” says the 37-year-old former X Factor judge, in an interview with Valentina Ravizza, in which he talks about his rebirth after a tiring journey in search of his routes.

The question of origins is also studied in the new Keyword section, with a number of different subjects: the similarities between humans and apes, as observed by the ethologist Frans De Waal; the Parisian laboratory of Hermès’s “made to measure” in a former film studio that has been redesigned as a place for those artisanal and manual skills that were the origins of fashion; primary ingredients and the courage to innovate in the cuisine of the chef Viviana Varese; human archetypes as told through masks (and remarkable photos by Charles Fréger).

But seeing as  “the clothes we wear are the masks that represent us,” the fashion section starts with a great feature on the private lives of  Mexican luchadores by Lourdes Grobet (styling by Luca Roscini, photos by Letizia Ragno) which interprets the new formal menswear in a surrealist key, using masks worn by wrestlers from Central America.

Another type of disguise, namely that of  the Urban explorers (i.e. the assorted Reinhold Messner lookalikes who don Himalayan outfits the minute the temperature starts to drop), is the theme of our Menswear feature. There’s also a report from London (by the photographer Fenton Bailey with the stylist Giovanni de Ruvo) on the overlap of heavy wools, sweatshirts and jackets. And still: Look at me! In other words, the most flashy clothes of the autumn/winter season as seen by Michele Ciavarella.

The standout story in our current affairs section is a report on bullying, which is often a form of weakness disguised as dominance (and on 12 December in Milan, Style with the help of Sotheby’s, will put dozens of art photographs up for auction. This is in support of Cuore e parole, a non-profit organisation for youngsters who have to face bullying and other problems). In his new column History Repeating, the author and TV writer Andrea Purgatori describes the real-life version of the boardgame of Risk that is the oil industry. In Portfolio (photos by Hew Hood, styling by Fabio Immediato) we meet the glamorous Erin Doherty, who plays Princess Anne in the Netflix series The Crown. And for this month’s Place to be the writer Enrico Del Buono crosses the Himalayas by motorbike (photos by Gabriele Micalizzi).

And that’s not all: art and design, cars and cocktails, weekends and the finest food. And we just have enough time to mention the special 48-page Style Watch, under the auspices  of the guru of chronographs, Augusto Veroni. All this and more in Style, the Corriere della Sera newspaper supplement which goes on sale on Wednesday 30 October.

COVER-MIKA.thumb.jpg.f0e5c79571d0acdf90a17a7986bca39b.jpg

• Like 2

• mari62 changed the title to Mika Cover Story [ Corriere della Sera's STYLE Magazine Italia] November 2019
1 minute ago, Dominika said:

I just saw the pictures... can I already go to the naughty corner ?:lmfao:

:mf_rosetinted:  As long as you only think it and don't say it, you can escape the Naughty Corner

• Haha 6

ARTICLE

page 1

MIKA

IL REVELATION TOUR È UN MIX TRA UNA TERAPIA D’URTO CHE PARTE DALLE ORIGINI E UNA «FOLLE MESSA».

«GESTISCO IL DOLORE CANTANDOLO IN PUBBLICO»

page 50

ADESSO SONO IO

Ha ritrovato il suo vero nome (Michael Holbrook), riscoperto una nuova energia sensuale e superato la gelosia che non lo faceva sentire mai all’altezza.

Ora Mika non ha paura di mettersi a nudo sul palco, raccontando la storia della sua vita.

«Le canzoni sono il luogo più sicuro per dire qualunque cosa»

DI VALENTINA RAVIZZA -

FOTO DI LAURENT HUMBERT

STYLING DI LUCA ROSCINI

page 51

dolcevita, ermenegildo zegna.

nella pagina a fianco: cappotto, emporio armani;

pantaloni e stringate, giorgio armani.

page 52

«VORREI CHE AI MIEI CONCERTI LE PERSONE BALLASSERO CON LE LACRIME AGLI OCCHI»

page 53, 54

«Non avevo mai affrontato veramente il mio lato americano. Ma quando inizi a perdere le persone che ami devi ricreare te stesso»

LO STRAZIO delle estati in Riviera per un adolescente sovrappeso, l’educazione cattolica, le origini americane: a 36 anni Mika ha fatto pace con Michael Holbrook Penniman e ha trasformato le ferite in un dolore «utile» mettendo nero su bianco il suo personale Libro della Rivelazione. Lui che non riesce a cantare testi scritti da altri, si metterà a nudo sul palco, in un Revelation tour che attraverserà Europa, America e Asia nel quale le sue canzoni «prenderanno una forma diversa ogni sera perché le mie emozioni verranno continuamente rimescolate». Obiettivo: arrivare in fondo a un viaggio di ritorno alle origini cominciato quattro anni fa con un’auto che correva su una strada della Florida e due cani sul sedile posteriore.

Direzione?

Savannah in Georgia, in quel Bonaventure Cemetery dove sono sepolti tutti i miei antenati. È stato così strano vedere il cognome Penniman su tante tombe in un luogo che fino a poco prima nemmeno sapevo esistesse…

Suo padre non gliene aveva mai parlato?

Papà ha sempre permesso a mia madre di prendersi la maggior parte dello spazio, di definire lei la cultura, l’impronta etnica della casa. Non avevo mai affrontato veramente il mio lato americano. E quello mi è sembrato il periodo giusto: questi ultimi sono stati anni di cose che finivano, una serie di tragedie ha cominciato ad abbattersi sulla mia famiglia. Quando inizi a perdere le persone che ami, una dopo l’altra, cosa puoi fare? È un momento di riscoperta ma anche di ricreazione di sé. Per due anni sono stato come ubriaco di queste emozioni, era come essere sempre psicologicamente «fatto», in un confronto continuo con le cose che più temevo.

La «Revelation» a cui ha intitolato il tour viene quindi dal dolore? Eppure il suo ultimo album, My name is Michael Holbrook, sembra così allegro…

Le mie canzoni devono farti venire voglia di scatenarti ma allo stesso tempo destabilizzarti. Vorrei che ai miei concerti le persone ballassero con le lacrime agli occhi.

Non ha paura di esporre il suo dolore?

Il palcoscenico è uno dei posti più strani al mondo: devi essere senza veli come a letto, ma davanti a dieci mila persone. Eppure mi ci sono sempre sentito a mio agio, le canzoni sono il luogo più sicuro per dire qualunque cosa. Crescescendo capiamo sempre più cose su noi stessi e le riveliamo alle persone che ci stanno intorno: per la maggior parte di noi sono gli amici, per me è il mio pubblico. Nel Revelation tour voglio raccontare la vera storia della mia vita, attraverso sette colori.

Oggi di che colore è Mika?

Ognuno di noi ha dentro di sé tutte le sfumature dell’arcobaleno. Però forse oggi a rappresentarmi di più è il bianco, che è la somma di tutti i colori. La gioia si nutre dei contrasti, è solo dall’estrema malinconia che può sorgere l’estrema felicità. L’euforia non viene da quel «su le mani!» alla David Guetta.

E da dove viene?

Non dalle droghe, né dall’odio, né dallo sport. Per me viene dalla musica, che è come un elettroshock. Mi piace pensare ai miei concerti come alla messa in una chiesa folle. Per questo quando lo spettacolo finisce non resto più nel backstage a firmare autografi: scendo dal palco, mi metto un accappatoio e salgo in macchina per lasciare l’edificio prima di chiunque altro. Devo proteggermi perché, dopo aver dato tutto, quello è il momento in cui sono più fragile. Non voglio rischiare di essere ferito.

In Dear jealousy dice di essere «geloso dell’uomo che ero e dell’uomo che potrei diventare». Chi avrebbe voluto essere?

Semplicemente chiunque altro ma non me! La gelosia è come una droga, ti immobilizza, ti allontana dalla persona che sei, perché ti fa credere che non sarai mai all’altezza, ma anche da quella che potresti essere. Si sente così anche ora? Diciamo che ora almeno riesco a parlarne… (sorride) Ma non siamo tutti invidiosi di quello che vediamo sui social media? C’è quella ragazza con il seno più grosso del tuo o il tizio che è andato in vacanza in un posto più bello, quello la cui vita è più felice… Un’immagine può dire più di tante parole ma spesso dice la cosa sbagliata, o mente. E questo è molto pericoloso. Lo notavo anche quando facevo il giudice di X-Factor: l’obiettivo di tante persone era riuscire a mostrare al mondo una versione diversa, migliore di loro stesse.

Quando usa i social ha questo in mente?

Cerco di raccontare che cosa succede dietro le quinte, da dove nasce la mia musica. Molti l’hanno capito e le mie interazioni sono quasi quintuplicate negli ultimi otto mesi. Certo poi ci sono ragazzi che mi chiedono un selfie solo per avere più like su Instagram… È da pazzi! (scuote la testa)

Ha collaborato con Ivan Cotroneo nella stesura dello spettacolo e uno dei primi singoli estratti dall’album s’intitola Sanremo. Che ruolo ha avuto l’Italia nel suo processo di rivelazione?

In realtà Sanremo più che un luogo è un simbolo per me, il racconto di un desiderio e di una frustrazione. Ricordo le litigate furibonde tra mia madre e la zia che ci ospitava a casa sua in Francia d’estate, avrò avuto 14 anni: mamma caricava tutto in macchina e partiva piangendo mentre io e le mie sorelle stavamo sul sedile posteriore in silenzio, poi arrivavamo a Sanremo e mentre gli altri sul lungomare ritrovavano il sorriso io mi sentivo un vero sfigato… Allora ero grassottello, e mentre camminavo sentendo le mie cosce sudate sfregare tra loro guardavo tutti quei ragazzi che passeggiavano sul lungomare sicuri di sé, io mi sentivo uno schifo. Volevo essere sexy come loro e invece…

Però ora è una star planetaria e sono loro a guardarla da sotto il palco.

Eppure continuo a portare il passato con me: credo che questo sia l’unico modo per andare avanti senza schiantarmi. Quest’idea di liberarsi delle cose è superata. Se i ricordi diventano scheletri nell’armadio prima o poi tornano a tormentarti. E non parlo solo delle emozioni, ma anche degli oggetti materiali. Non si può semplicemente gettare via una T-shirt che non ci piace più o una bottiglia di plastica, finirà soltanto da qualche altra parte. Prima lo riconosciamo, prima possiamo iniziare a fare la differenza. E lo stesso vale per le persone: non possiamo dire ai migranti «andatevene, non vi vogliamo nel nostro Paese» perché si sposteranno solo da un’altra parte come faremmo noi se fossimo al loro posto.

C’è anche una dimensione spirituale in questa sua rivelazione?

Sì molto. Mi piace usare la mia educazione cattolica come spunto di discussione. Perché non puoi avere un confronto spirituale intelligente se non sei sacrilego. Altrimenti è solo retorica. In Tomorrow canta «chissenefrega di domani». Davvero non se ne preoccupa? In verità ci penso tutto il tempo (ride), sarà le parte libanese delle mie origini, questa malinconia orientale! Il domani è sempre terrificante, ed eccitante contemporaneamente, quando ti lasci andare. Alla fine il segreto sta tutto qui, nel lasciarsi andare.

«L’idea di liberarsi delle cose è superata. E non parlo soltanto delle emozioni, ma anche degli oggetti materiali e delle persone»

page 55

«LA GELOSIA È COME UNA DROGA, TI ALLONTANA DA TE STESSO»

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Could someone translate this interview please ?

I used Google translate, but not able to copy it on my mobile.

It's mostly things we knew... but the most interesting thing, he says he won't stay after the shows to sign autographs but jump straight into the car after leaving the stage. :sad:

Well, in Italy he didn't do it either on the last tour... I wonder whether this time it'll be like this everywhere or just in Italy again. I guess we'll see if he also says it in a French interview. :dunno:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

:uk:

Spoiler

THE STRAZIO of the summers on the Riviera for an overweight teenager, Catholic education, American origins: at 36, Mika made peace with Michael Holbrook Penniman and turned his wounds into "useful" pain by writing down his personal Book of Revelation. He who can't sing lyrics written by others, will get naked on stage, in a Revelation tour that will cross Europe, America and Asia where his songs "will take a different shape every night because my emotions will be constantly stirred up". Objective: to get to the bottom of a journey back to origins that began four years ago with a car that ran on a Florida road and two dogs in the back seat.

Direction?

Savannah in Georgia, in that Bonaventure Cemetery where all my ancestors are buried. It was so strange to see the surname Penniman on so many tombs in a place I didn't even know existed before ...

Had his father never talked to him about it?

Dad has always allowed my mother to take up most of the space, to define her culture, the ethnicity of the house. I had never really faced my American side. And that seemed to me the right time: these last were years of things that ended, a series of tragedies began to fall on my family. When you start losing the people you love, one after the other, what can you do? It is a moment of rediscovery but also of self-recreation. For two years I was drunk with these emotions, it was like always being psychologically "done", in a continuous confrontation with the things I feared the most.

The "Revelation" to which he has entitled the tour comes then from the pain? Yet his latest album, My name is Michael Holbrook, looks so cheerful ...

My songs must make you want to let loose but at the same time destabilize you. I would like people to dance with tears in my eyes at my concerts.

Aren't you afraid to expose your pain?

The stage is one of the strangest places in the world: you have to be without veils as in bed, but in front of ten thousand people. Yet I always felt comfortable there, the songs are the safest place to say anything. Growing up we understand more and more things about ourselves and we reveal them to the people around us: for most of us they are friends, for me it's my audience. In the Revelation tour I want to tell the true story of my life, through seven colors.

What color is Mika today?

Each of us has within himself all the shades of the rainbow. But perhaps today to represent me more is white, which is the sum of all the colors. Joy feeds on contrasts, it is only from the extreme melancholy that extreme happiness can arise. The euphoria does not come from that "on your hands!" To David Guetta.

And where does it come from?

Not from drugs, nor from hatred, nor from sport. For me it comes from music, which is like an electroshock. I like to think of my concerts as mass in a crazy church. That's why when the show ends I don't stay backstage to sign autographs: I step off the stage, put on a bathrobe and get in the car to leave the building before anyone else. I must protect myself because, after giving everything, this is the moment when I am most fragile. I don't want to risk being hurt.

In Dear jealousy he says he is "jealous of the man I was and of the man I could become". Who wanted to be?

Simply anyone else but not me! Jealousy is like a drug, it immobilizes you, it takes you away from the person you are, because it makes you believe that you will never be up to it, but also from what you could be. Do you feel that way now? Let's say that now at least I can talk about it ... (smiles) But aren't we all envious of what we see on social media? There is that girl with the biggest breast of yours or the guy who went on vacation in a more beautiful place, the one whose life is happiest ... An image can say more than many words but often says the wrong thing, or mind. And this is very dangerous. I also noticed him when I was the judge of X-Factor: the goal of so many people was to be able to show the world a different version, better than themselves.

When using social media has this in mind?

I try to tell what happens behind the scenes, where my music comes from. Many have understood this and my interactions have almost quintupled in the last eight months. Of course then there are guys who ask me for a selfie just to get more likes on Instagram ... It's crazy! (shakes his head)

He collaborated with Ivan Cotroneo in the writing of the show and one of the first singles taken from the album entitled Sanremo. What role did Italy play in its revelation process?

In reality Sanremo more than a place is a symbol for me, the story of a desire and a frustration. I remember the furious quarrels between my mother and my aunt who used to host us in her summer home in France, I would have been 14 years old: Mom loaded everything in the car and left crying while my sisters and I were in the back seat in silence, then we arrived in Sanremo and while others on the seafront smiled again I felt like a real loser ... So I was chubby, and as I walked feeling my sweaty thighs rub against each other I looked at all those guys walking along the seafront sure of themselves, I felt like crap . I wanted to be sexy like them and instead ...

But now he is a planetary star and they are looking at her from under the stage.

Yet I continue to bring the past with me: I think this is the only way to go on without crashing. This idea of getting rid of things is outdated. If memories become skeletons in the closet sooner or later they come back to haunt you. And I'm not just talking about emotions, but also about material objects. You can't just throw away a T-shirt that we don't like anymore or a plastic bottle, it will only end up somewhere else. The sooner we recognize it, the sooner we can start making a difference. And the same is true for people: we cannot tell migrants "leave, we don't want you in our country" because they will only move to another part like we would do if we were in their place.

Is there also a spiritual dimension in this revelation?

Yes a lot. I like to use my Catholic education as a starting point for discussion. Because you cannot have an intelligent spiritual comparison if you are not sacrilegious. Otherwise it's just rhetoric. In Tomorrow he sings "who cares about tomorrow". Don't you really care? In truth I think about it all the time (laughs), it will be the Lebanese part of my origins, this oriental melancholy! Tomorrow is always terrifying, and exciting at the same time, when you let yourself go. In the end everything is here, letting go.

"The idea of getting rid of things is outdated. And I'm not just talking about emotions, but also about material objects and people "

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

https://style.corriere.it/spettacoli/musica/adesso-sono-io-mika-il-video-backstage-del-servizio-di-copertina/

«Adesso sono io». Mika, il video backstage del servizio di copertina

Ha ritrovato il suo vero nome (Michael Holbrook), riscoperto una nuova energia sensuale e superato la gelosia che non lo faceva sentire mai all'altezza. Ora Mika non ha paura di mettersi a nudo sul palco e raccontare la storia della sua vita: «Le canzoni sono il luogo più sicuro per dire qualunque cosa». Ecco il video backstage del servizio di copertina del numero di novembre di Style

di Gabriele Ciances (video director)

:uk: Google translator
Spoiler

"Now it's me." Mika, the backstage video of the cover service

He found his real name (Michael Holbrook), rediscovered a new sensual energy and overcome the jealousy that never made him feel up to it. Now Mika isn't afraid to get naked on the stage and tell the story of his life: "Songs are the safest place to say anything". Here is the backstage video of the cover service of the November issue of Style

by Gabriele Ciances (video director)

• Like 3