Mika on [ TÊTU ] 27 November 2019

Kumazzz

Gala

https://www.gala.fr/l_actu/news_de_stars/mika-mis-a-la-porte-par-un-ex-il-a-jete-mes-affaires-par-la-fenetre_438772

Mika mis à la porte par un ex : « Il a jeté mes affaires par la fenêtre ! »

« J'étais tellement sous le choc que j'en ai vomi »

Juste avant de tomber sous le charme d'Andy, l'homme de sa vie qui partage son quotidien depuis plus de dix ans, Mika avait pas mal papillonné dans le Londres des années 2000. Dans les pages du magazine Têtu, en kiosque ce 27 novembre, la star est revenue sur un épisode sentimental particulièrement traumatisant.

Si le chanteur Mika, 36 ans, file le parfait amour depuis une dizaine d'années avec son compagnon Andy (un couple qui dure, malgré une séparation éphémère, grâce à la mère de la star qui a su maintenir les amoureux à flots), il n'en a pas toujours été de même pour l'ancien juré de The Voice, qui a aussi connu des histoires sentimentales plus houleuses et conflictuelles.

Dans les pages du magazine Têtu, en kiosque ce mercredi 27 novembre, le compositeur des tubes Grace Kelly et Love Today revient en effet sur ce fameux ex-petit-copain avec qui la rupture fut pour le moins violente, une anecdote qu'il raconte aujourd'hui avec d'autant plus de recul que c'est grâce à elle qu'il a finalement trouvé l'homme de sa vie : "Avec Andy, notre relation est née dans des circonstances atypiques", débute-t-il dans les pages du mensuel. "Juste avant de le rencontrer, j'étais dans une relation très courte, mais très intense, avec un mec originaire d'Irlande du Nord."

"J'étais dingue de lui, mais lui pas du tout de moi"

On ne sait pas si la nationalité de son ancien amant est un détail qui a eu un rôle à jouer dans leur séparation, toujours est-il qu'elle fut radicale : "Il était très beau, on rompait tout le temps. J'étais dingue de lui, mais lui pas du tout de moi. C'est très difficile d'être avec un mec qui a des hauts très hauts et des bas très bas, qui prend des drogues... Je l'ai très mal vécu. Une nuit, il a pété les plombs et m'a foutu dehors à 4h du matin. J'étais en caleçon dans le quartier de Shepherd Bush, à Londres, et il a jeté mes affaires par la fenêtre. J'étais dans un tel état de choc que j'en ai vomi. Je m'étais fait tout un film sur nous deux dans ma tête... Le lendemain, je vais boire une bière au pub, et Andy était là."Tout est bien qui finit bien.

:uk: Google translator

Spoiler

Mika thrown out by an ex: "He threw my stuff out the window! "
"I was so shocked that I vomited"

Just before falling in love with Andy, the man of his life who shares his life for more than ten years, Mika had pretty much fluttered in the London of the 2000s. In the pages of the magazine Têtu, in newsstands this 27 November, the star came back on a sentimental episode particularly traumatic.

If the singer Mika, 36 years, file the perfect love for ten years with his companion Andy (a couple that lasts, despite an ephemeral separation, thanks to the mother of the star who has kept the lovers afloat), it was not always the same for the former juror of The Voice, who also knew sentimental stories more stormy and conflictual.

In the pages of the magazine Têtu, in newsstands this Wednesday, November 27, the composer of the tubes Grace Kelly and Love Today returns indeed on this famous ex-boyfriend with whom the rupture was at least violent, an anecdote that it tells today with all the more hindsight that it is thanks to her that he finally found the man of his life: "With Andy, our relationship was born in atypical circumstances", he begins in the monthly pages. "Just before I met him, I was in a very short relationship, but very intense, with a guy from Northern Ireland."

"I was crazy about him, but he was not me at all"

We do not know if the nationality of her former lover is a detail that had a role to play in their separation, it is still that it was radical: "It was very beautiful, we broke all the time. He's crazy about him, but he's not at all with me, it's very hard to be with a guy who has very high tops and very low stockings, who takes drugs ... I did not really live with him. One night, he went crazy and kicked me out at 4 am I was in shorts in Shepherd Bush, London, and he threw my stuff out the window. Shock I vomited, I had a whole film about us both in my head ... The next day I'm having a beer in the pub, and Andy was there. "All is well that ends well .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I always suspected that Andy cares more than Mika about their relationship. I'm happy for them that they found a way how to carry their personal life. Besides these two look just good together. I wish them all the best in life. :wub:

• Like 5

Pure People

https://www.purepeople.com/article/mika-fou-jaloux-raconte-sa-rencontre-avec-andy-son-partenaire-depuis-13-ans_a362855/1

Mika, "fou jaloux", raconte sa rencontre avec Andy, son partenaire depuis 13 ans

Dans les colonnes de TËTU, le chanteur de pop Mika ouvre son coeur sur sa rencontre avec Andy, l'homme qui partage sa vie depuis 13 ans, et son (sale) caractère quand il est en couple.

Alors qu'il vient de sortir son cinquième album, My name is Michael Holbrook, le chanteur libano-britannique Mika revient après quatre ans d'absence. Il lui fallait au moins ça pour proposer un opus honnête, libre et militant. L'occasion pour lui pour revenir sur son couple, dans les pages de TÊTU, qui lui consacre sa couverture.

Depuis treize ans, Mika partage la vie du même homme, Andy Dermanis, envers qui il est "extrêmement reconnaissant". En couple, il se définit sans mal comme "fou jaloux", "paranoïaque, même". "C'est la merde de vivre avec moi (...) Il y a un Mika combattant. Je veux défendre mes points de vue. Je m'enrage tout seul. Et je ne lâche pas, jamais", confie-t-il au magazine.

Mais avec Andy, ce n'est pas pareil. "On se fait confiance", assène-t-il. D'habitude si discret sur sa vie privée et sa relation amoureuse, Mika raconte une histoire tellement romanesque et mignonne qu'on la croirait tout droit sortie d'une comédie romantique britannique.

Juste avant de croiser la route d'Andy, Mika était dans une relation "très courte mais très intense" avec un homme d'Irlande du Nord. "Un personnage de Trainspotting. Très beau." Mika dit avoir été "dingue" de lui mais "lui pas du tout". "Une nuit, il a pété un plomb et m'a foutu dehors à 4 h du matin. J'étais en caleçon dans le quartier de Shepherd Bush, à Londres". Le chanteur de Relax, Take it Easy dit avoir été tellement choqué qu'il en a vomi. Le lendemain, il se remet de ses émotions devant une bière dans un pub. "Andy était là. On accroche bien (...) alors je propose de le raccompagner en taxi à la gare de Victoria." Puis, au moment de séparer, Andy dit : "Je veux rester avec toi." "Tu veux dire ce soir ?" répond Mika. "Non, pour toute la vie", rétorque Andy. Mika n'est pas intéressé, Andy est convaincu. "Andy a cru pour nous deux à notre histoire", résume le chanteur.

Ça fait treize ans que cela dure entre les tourtereaux et même si Mika avoue sans mal être "toujours entre deux avions et trois pays", son couple, surnommé "Mikandy" par les fans, est très solide et très traditionnel.

Le 27 Novembre 2019 - 22h24

Spoiler

Mika, "crazy jealous", tells his meeting with Andy, his partner for 13 years

In the columns of TËTU, pop singer Mika opens his heart to his meeting with Andy, the man who has shared his life for 13 years, and his (dirty) character when he is in a relationship.

While he has just released his fifth album, My name is Michael Holbrook, the Lebanese-British singer Mika returns after four years of absence. He needed at least that to offer an honest, free and militant opus. The opportunity for him to come back on his couple, in the pages of TÊTU, who devotes his cover to him.

For thirteen years, Mika shares the life of the same man, Andy Dermanis, to whom he is "extremely grateful". As a couple, he defines himself easily as "crazy jealous", "paranoid, even". "It's the s**t to live with me (...) There's a Mika fighter, I want to defend my points of view, I'm fooling myself, and I do not give up, never", says he to the magazine.

But with Andy, it's not the same. "We trust each other," he asserts. Usually so discreet about her private life and romance, Mika tells a story so romantic and cute that it is believed to be straight out of a British romantic comedy.

Just before crossing Andy's road, Mika was in a "very short but very intense" relationship with a man from Northern Ireland. "A character from Trainspotting, very beautiful." Mika says he was "crazy" about him but "not at all". "One night, he farted a shot and kicked me out at 4 am I was in underpants in Shepherd Bush, London". The singer of Relax, Take it Easy says he was so shocked that he vomited. The next day, he is recovering his emotions in front of a beer in a pub. "Andy was there, we hang well ... so I propose to take him by taxi to Victoria station." Then, when separating, Andy says, "I want to stay with you." "Do you mean tonight?" Mika answers. "No, for the rest of life," retorts Andy. Mika is not interested, Andy is convinced. "Andy believed for both of us in our story," sums up the singer.

It's been thirteen years that this lasts between the lovebirds and even if Mika admits to be "always between two planes and three countries", his couple, nicknamed "Mikandy" by the fans, is very solid and very traditional.

5225969-exclusif-le-chanteur-mika-a-la-sortie-3000x0-4.thumb.jpg.c16169f6924d5ee697fb621ec8b5a1f9.jpg

5225984-le-chanteur-mika-et-son-compagnon-andy-d-3000x0-3.thumb.jpg.c853cbed78fa72d5743cb161483230fa.jpg

5225987-le-chanteur-mika-et-son-compagnon-andy-d-3000x0-3.thumb.jpg.f668dcbfb67826d13b56a1f03a79cba5.jpg

5225978-mika-les-celebrites-arrivent-a-la-soir-3000x0-2.thumb.jpg.3ef8aa094ee8f8de4d490236dd6099b5.jpg

5225993-mika-et-sa-soeur-paloma-penniman-a-la-so-3000x0-2.thumb.jpg.625643f69f1c496a0dae039139f45c54.jpg

5225990-mika-presente-son-5eme-album-my-name-is-3000x0-2.thumb.jpg.d8d64fa2c9316260fb61aaa80d7a4f2e.jpg

5225981-mika-sur-le-plateau-de-l-emission-che-t-3000x0-1.thumb.jpg.a8fe1c40dbfdae6210f7322bf4007e95.jpg

5225975-mika-sur-le-plateau-de-l-emssion-tele-d-3000x0-3.thumb.jpg.fa6b41a8a59bc4e37968efbe2cbecf9a.jpg

5225972-mika-sur-le-plateau-de-l-emssion-tele-d-3000x0-2.thumb.jpg.7217646167f49cbf893a886d9f0599b7.jpg

• Like 5

Têtu interview in English

Mika

I wanted to love men freely

Interview Romain Burrel
Photos Jules Faure
Stylist Nicolas Dureau

We hadn't seen him in a long time. Mika takes advantage of his new album,  My name is Michael Hoolbrook to speak freely about sex,  show business and politics. And he speaks loudly.

It's difficult to escape Mika. It's quite simple,  the singer is everywhere. In a talent show on TF1,  in commercials,  in the evening news,  in the subway. Omnipresent to the point of becoming invisible. Conscious of the fact that he might blend into the background,  the singer understood he had to go back to music,  setting all other matters aside. But twelve years after his first album and after six seasons of The Voice,  does Mika still has things to say? Causes to defend? enough music in him?
Yes to all three. His new album is also the best since Life in Cartoon Motion. This CD which is soberly called My name is Michael Holbrook (the real name of the British singer) as a promise of transparency. Because actually there are two Mikas. The one who doesn't know how to say no to a prime time TV show,  obsessed by the idea of being a popular artist. And the one who wants to be a respected songwriter.
During those last years,  the face of  pop music has changed,  pushing to the front of the stage a whole generation of openly queer singers with sharp songs and versed into the socials. At the age of 36 the singer now feels on his neck the breath of Years and Years,  Christine and the Queens or Troye Sivan. They all seem indifferent to the fact that when Mika came out to the American magazine Instinct in 2012,  Mika and others as well of course,  opened the way,  rolling out the red carpet to a rainbow pop music and to the top of the charts.
The singer has already ten years of career and he also took a few blows,  but he is still ready to kick as he is proving in this wild interview in which he answered to questions with a rare and pleasant openess.

Q: It's been a while since we hadn't talked about music together. If we wanted to see you,  you were on TV  in The Voice.  Didn't you feel like singing anymore?

A: My music requires great determination. I am not the kind of artist who can go and buy songs in one place or another. Even if it has become the truth in that business. Today records are made by boards with 14 accredited writers. And there is the record company in the USA,  in France,  in England...and all these people decide on what will be on the album. As for me,  I write my songs. And I need to feel a full commitment. This feeling had shifted away from my daily life,  it is true. For this record,  I had to recover my colors,  my spirit and a certain candor. I needed to step back.

Q: Was TV too time consuming?

A: TV shows are expensive to make,  so they are made in a short span of time. I record a certain number of shows during a very intense period,  and then they are aired over several weeks. I didn't realize that I was omnipresent. But I wanted to go back to the only thing that really gives me a sense of value: music. If I had let TV take over music,  it would have changed me. I would have become more smooth. And it is something that terrifies me. Artists are like lovers. They have to be honest. I am extremely conscious of the very hard truth of my work. The only was to stay fresh is to stay involved,  to evolve. I want to stay curious,  but
: On this album,  we discover another Mika,  almost activist. For exemple in Sanremo video,  you disclose homophobia...

A: The video depicts Italy at the end of the sixties,  when being homosexual was not criminal,  but where intolerance was very strong,   with terrible consequences: you could lose your family,  your job,  you had to live a double life. You were exposed to hatred, to betrayal. I wanted to tell about that history which took place not so long ago and whose stigma still persist today.
The week before the video was released,  Sanremo mayor was saying everywhere how proud he was that I had dedicated a song to his city. Then the video was released. I don't know what he thought about it. ( He bursts into laughter) I don't like to make promotional videos but I figured as long as I'm doing one,  it might as well tell something. What's the point of being stubborn if a 17 years old American girl can do an extremely efficient pop music video? I'm thinking about Billy Eilish - who I love. It's very pop,  it's not a fake grunge produced by Dr Luke. The new generation is more genuine and less Kardashian
 Pop,  today is Swedish people writing for Disney Club people. It can be seen as fabulous - and I'm the first who likes the melodies - but that kind of pop has nothing to say.

Q: Can a popstar who gets involved make a difference?

A: An individual can make the difference. Who cares if I'm a pop star? I have a certain voice,  but it doesn't count more than another. It is the same when I talk openly about the couple I am in. I have been with the same guy for thirteen years. Through love,  I found the trust to come out. First to my mother,  who had always known it and who didn't give a care. To my sisters,  for whom it was a lot more difficult to accept that I was gay. To my friends as well. And within an industry that was harassing me to do it for the sake of the media. My coming out made me stronger. It allows me to go and do concerts in countries that however are intolerant about my sexuality.

Q:In a recent interview,  you were telling about journalists who had put pressure on you for you to come out....

A: It was atrocious. I felt stalked. I feel chasing people to force them to come out is very old fashioned. Today the concept of fluidity is better understood and also the idea that things take time. That what you express through your sexual awakening also has a value. And it's not because at one point in hid career an artist is not ready yet to label himself sexually that what he lives is a lie. Following him to rip an intimate truth out off him, that is gross. All those people care about is the media impact and money,  they couldn't care less about the human being.

Q: Was life difficult for you at that time?

A: I was mostly disappointed. I wanted to go on my journey to reach peace with myself. I wanted to be able to love men freely and express this desire I have always had in me. I understood I was gay as early as my eight year! When a gay media went and interviewed Jimmy Sommerville and Patrick Wolf so they would make comments about my sexuality,  I felt a deep disillusion towards people that I admire however: "You craddled my teenage years. You have shaped my desire and inspired this balance that I'm seeking to reach each day of my life. And there,  you judge me whereas you don't even know me?" I am not mad at them. It was the contest that I found despicable. I don't think they were spiteful. Except maybe Patrick Wolf. Today,  if I am totally open about being gay,  it doesn't mean I will try to give lessons to others.

Q: In "Blue" you sing "blue is a feminine color". It is in order to piss off French right wing people who demonstrate against gay mariage and gay family?  (La Manif pour tous)

A: Totally! Things are not binary. I think formal labels of sexuality are old ideas. But that doesn't mean we must stop defending homosexuality and trans people. It's an exemple of the kind of political involment you can afford when you are a popular star.

Q: On the record,  there is also Ice Cream,  a very erotic song in which you tell about your irrepressible desire to suck d****...

A: Totally. But with a naive spirit. It's a wink to Lollipop in my first album. Back then,  many people had not understood the lyrics: " Sucking too hard on your lollipop or love is gonna get you down" (laughs) It is a sexual song like "Les sucettes" by France Gall which I love. (Lollipops by Serge Gainsbourg) At a gig,  the audience doesn't always know the meaning of the lyrics. And I must confess I find it fun. It's good to talk freely. Why would only straight people be allowed to talk about their wife or their husband? Why can't we talk about sex? As for me,  the first time I slept with a boy,  it was a disaster! Humiliating! I was 15 years old - I think - and I didn't understand anything. People should said more often that gay sex is not easy. Now it makes me laugh,  but it wasn't always the case! It should be possible to talk about it.

Q: There is a song called Dear Jealousy. Is it in your nature to be jealous?

A: I am insanely jealous. Even paranoïd. You know I live a rich life,  but life is always s*** with me. I am always between two planes and three countries. I always have something to say,  always a story to steal into my relatives intimate life tp put it into my songs. It creates a stress. It's really not easy to live with someone like me. That's why I am extremely grateful to Andy (his partner) There isn't a "dark" Mika. But there is Mika the fighter. I want to defend my point of view. I get infuriated on my own. I never yield,  never. It's exhausting.

Q: Is it easy to be faithful? When you are a pop star it's hell to be chased all the time by girls and boys,  isn't it?

A: With Andy,  we trust each other. Our relationship was born in atypical circumstances. Just before I met him,  I was in a very short but very intense relationship with a guy from Northern Ireland. A character of Trainspotting. Very handsome. We were breaking up all the time. I was crazy about him,  but he was not at all crazy about me. (Laughs) It is very cruel to live with a guy who has very high highs and very low lows,  who takes drugs and so on...It was very hard on me. One night he went totally mad and he threw me out at 4 AM. I was in my boxers in the area of Shepherd Bush in London and he threw my belongings through the window. I was in such a state of shock that I vomited. I had imagined such a movie about the two of us in my head. The next day,  I order a beer in a little pub and Andy was there. We start talking. We get on well. He lived outside of London so I offered him to get him to Victoria station in a taxi. When we were about to say good bye,  he says to me: -"I want to stay with you."-"Do you mean tonight?" - "No for life." I wasn't interested at all. As for him,  he was totally convinced. Andy believed in our story for the two of us.

Q: Where you going out in gay London at night?

A: Of course. As soon as I turned 14,  I hang around at night in the gay area. At Earl's Court,  I went to school. And in Soho,  there were the gay bars,  the prostitutes,  people who told me how to manage the night. There was this wonderful nightclub,  l'Astoria. All the balloons and the confettis at my gigs are inspired by the end of the evenings in Astoria. I knew the guys at the door and I never paid. From time to time they waited to get their reward
and I had to escape before giving it to them! This shaped my teenage years. In the day I sang Schubert,  Brahms at Westminster School,  at night I went out. My first songs were born from this: Love Today,  Grace Kelly.  

Q:  Do you have friends among openly gay stars?

A: Not really. I find we deeply lack a sense of community. At any rate one thing is sure I don't belong to EltonJohn gang... (He stays silent for a while and smiles mischeavously) But,  thanks to instagram,  artists start talking together. Since several weeks we talk everyday Sam Smith and I. However we never met physically. The only one I listen to is Ian McKellen. He has helped me a lot. I call him "my London grandma." (Laughs) I often phone him to ask for his advice. At the beginning of my career,  he told me: "One day you will realize that your sexual preferences are not only relegated to your bedroom,  they are a background for inspiration that will open many friendships. Not only to gay or bi friends,  but also heterosexual friends who love life." He was right. One day I called him to tell him I had been given the medal of chevalier des arts et des lettres. He told me: "oh my dear,  don't be so vulgar! Listen,  I have all the medals. You have to wear them with pride,  but inside your jacket.

Q: Not long ago you were invited at the Elysée. Do you have time to give to messages to politicians when you meet them?

A: I try. But when you talk with a man like Emmanuel Macron,  you're  talking  to a professional politician.This is not the kind of meeting that will win a positive decision. Yet you have to do it all the same. The experience that marked me the most in my adult life is when I went to visit a shelter for young LGBT+ refugees in Beirut.
They came from Irak,  Afghanistan,  Lebanon,  Syria. While listening to their stories I understood their sufferings. In the world,  there are more than 70 countries where men homosexuality is illegal,  punished by death,  corporal punishments or total discrimination. If it is found out that you are gay,  you can lose everything in a day. And it is a reality in countries that sometimes have strong links with France,  like Algeria,  Marocco or Lebanon too. This last one is important for me,  because this is where I have my roots. I am uprooted,  but I know my privileges.

Q: Should France do more for LGBT+ migrants?

A: I think we forget the humanity of those people. We have to tell their stories. So that refugees don't become statistics. Because today,  we have so much information about people who died in trucks,  about people locked in cages and so on...Can we tell the truth about Kadhafi? That he got money from many developped  countries to secure the fronteers and prevent refugees from coming to Europe? Those I met in Beirut had all ages - there was a gay man who was 65 and a young trans girl who was 15.  All of them were rejected by their families,  chased by extremists,  betrayed by their friends,  their country - but also by the country in which they seeked asylum - thrown into the street by landlords who didn't want "freaks." So where do they go those people? They are perfect to be used by prostitution or smugglers rings. They have no money,  no support,  no political protection...They don't exist. We have to tell their stories to give them back their humanity.
 @Kumazzz

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 15

3 hours ago, mariposa said:

I love the interview. 😍

Anybody knows if we could get the magazine outside of France? Was looking for it, but wasn't lucky... 

Same here...

2 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Yes me too :wub2:

If you want I can try to find a mag and send it to you.

That would be so lovely!!! :huglove:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Têtu interview in English

Mika

I wanted to love men freely

Interview Romain Burrel
Photos Jules Faure
Stylist Nicolas Dureau

We hadn't seen him in a long time. Mika takes advantage of his new album,  My name is Michael Hoolbrook to speak freely about sex,  show business and politics. And he speaks loudly.

It's difficult to escape Mika. It's quite simple,  the singer is everywhere. In a talent show on TF1,  in commercials,  in the evening news,  in the subway. Omnipresent to the point of becoming invisible. Conscious of the fact that he might blend into the background,  the singer understood he had to go back to music,  setting all other matters aside. But twelve years after his first album and after six seasons of The Voice,  does Mika still has things to say? Causes to defend? enough music in him?
Yes to all three. His new album is also the best since Life in Cartoon Motion. This CD which is soberly called My name is Michael Holbrook (the real name of the British singer) as a promise of transparency. Because actually there are two Mikas. The one who doesn't know how to say no to a prime time TV show,  obsessed by the idea of being a popular artist. And the one who wants to be a respected songwriter.
During those last years,  the face of  pop music has changed,  pushing to the front of the stage a whole generation of openly queer singers with sharp songs and versed into the socials. At the age of 36 the singer now feels on his neck the breath of Years and Years,  Christine and the Queens or Troye Sivan. They all seem indifferent to the fact that when Mika came out to the American magazine Instinct in 2012,  Mika and others as well of course,  opened the way,  rolling out the red carpet to a rainbow pop music and to the top of the charts.
The singer has already ten years of career and he also took a few blows,  but he is still ready to kick as he is proving in this wild interview in which he answered to questions with a rare and pleasant openess.

Q: It's been a while since we hadn't talked about music together. If we wanted to see you,  you were on TV  in The Voice.  Didn't you feel like singing anymore?

A: My music requires great determination. I am not the kind of artist who can go and buy songs in one place or another. Even if it has become the truth in that business. Today records are made by boards with 14 accredited writers. And there is the record company in the USA,  in France,  in England...and all these people decide on what will be on the album. As for me,  I write my songs. And I need to feel a full commitment. This feeling had shifted away from my daily life,  it is true. For this record,  I had to recover my colors,  my spirit and a certain candor. I needed to step back.

Q: Was TV too time consuming?

A: TV shows are expensive to make,  so they are made in a short span of time. I record a certain number of shows during a very intense period,  and then they are aired over several weeks. I didn't realize that I was omnipresent. But I wanted to go back to the only thing that really gives me a sense of value: music. If I had let TV take over music,  it would have changed me. I would have become more smooth. And it is something that terrifies me. Artists are like lovers. They have to be honest. I am extremely conscious of the very hard truth of my work. The only was to stay fresh is to stay involved,  to evolve. I want to stay curious,  but
: On this album,  we discover another Mika,  almost activist. For exemple in Sanremo video,  you disclose homophobia...

A: The video depicts Italy at the end of the sixties,  when being homosexual was not criminal,  but where intolerance was very strong,   with terrible consequences: you could lose your family,  your job,  you had to live a double life. You were exposed to hatred, to betrayal. I wanted to tell about that history which took place not so long ago and whose stigma still persist today.
The week before the video was released,  Sanremo mayor was saying everywhere how proud he was that I had dedicated a song to his city. Then the video was released. I don't know what he thought about it. ( He bursts into laughter) I don't like to make promotional videos but I figured as long as I'm doing one,  it might as well tell something. What's the point of being stubborn if a 17 years old American girl can do an extremely efficient pop music video? I'm thinking about Billy Eilish - who I love. It's very pop,  it's not a fake grunge produced by Dr Luke. The new generation is more genuine and less Kardashian
 Pop,  today is Swedish people writing for Disney Club people. It can be seen as fabulous - and I'm the first who likes the melodies - but that kind of pop has nothing to say.

Q: Can a popstar who gets involved make a difference?

A: An individual can make the difference. Who cares if I'm a pop star? I have a certain voice,  but it doesn't count more than another. It is the same when I talk openly about the couple I am in. I have been with the same guy for thirteen years. Through love,  I found the trust to come out. First to my mother,  who had always known it and who didn't give a care. To my sisters,  for whom it was a lot more difficult to accept that I was gay. To my friends as well. And within an industry that was harassing me to do it for the sake of the media. My coming out made me stronger. It allows me to go and do concerts in countries that however are intolerant about my sexuality.

Q:In a recent interview,  you were telling about journalists who had put pressure on you for you to come out....

A: It was atrocious. I felt stalked. I feel chasing people to force them to come out is very old fashioned. Today the concept of fluidity is better understood and also the idea that things take time. That what you express through your sexual awakening also has a value. And it's not because at one point in hid career an artist is not ready yet to label himself sexually that what he lives is a lie. Following him to rip an intimate truth out off him, that is gross. All those people care about is the media impact and money,  they couldn't care less about the human being.

Q: Was life difficult for you at that time?

A: I was mostly disappointed. I wanted to go on my journey to reach peace with myself. I wanted to be able to love men freely and express this desire I have always had in me. I understood I was gay as early as my eight year! When a gay media went and interviewed Jimmy Sommerville and Patrick Wolf so they would make comments about my sexuality,  I felt a deep disillusion towards people that I admire however: "You craddled my teenage years. You have shaped my desire and inspired this balance that I'm seeking to reach each day of my life. And there,  you judge me whereas you don't even know me?" I am not mad at them. It was the contest that I found despicable. I don't think they were spiteful. Except maybe Patrick Wolf. Today,  if I am totally open about being gay,  it doesn't mean I will try to give lessons to others.

Q: In "Blue" you sing "blue is a feminine color". It is in order to piss off French right wing people who demonstrate against gay mariage and gay family?  (La Manif pour tous)

A: Totally! Things are not binary. I think formal labels of sexuality are old ideas. But that doesn't mean we must stop defending homosexuality and trans people. It's an exemple of the kind of political involment you can afford when you are a popular star.

Q: On the record,  there is also Ice Cream,  a very erotic song in which you tell about your irrepressible desire to suck d****...

A: Totally. But with a naive spirit. It's a wink to Lollipop in my first album. Back then,  many people had not understood the lyrics: " Sucking too hard on your lollipop or love is gonna get you down" (laughs) It is a sexual song like "Les sucettes" by France Gall which I love. (Lollipops by Serge Gainsbourg) At a gig,  the audience doesn't always know the meaning of the lyrics. And I must confess I find it fun. It's good to talk freely. Why would only straight people be allowed to talk about their wife or their husband? Why can't we talk about sex? As for me,  the first time I slept with a boy,  it was a disaster! Humiliating! I was 15 years old - I think - and I didn't understand anything. People should said more often that gay sex is not easy. Now it makes me laugh,  but it wasn't always the case! It should be possible to talk about it.

Q: There is a song called Dear Jealousy. Is it in your nature to be jealous?

A: I am insanely jealous. Even paranoïd. You know I live a rich life,  but life is always s*** with me. I am always between two planes and three countries. I always have something to say,  always a story to steal into my relatives intimate life tp put it into my songs. It creates a stress. It's really not easy to live with someone like me. That's why I am extremely grateful to Andy (his partner) There isn't a "dark" Mika. But there is Mika the fighter. I want to defend my point of view. I get infuriated on my own. I never yield,  never. It's exhausting.

Q: Is it easy to be faithful? When you are a pop star it's hell to be chased all the time by girls and boys,  isn't it?

A: With Andy,  we trust each other. Our relationship was born in atypical circumstances. Just before I met him,  I was in a very short but very intense relationship with a guy from Northern Ireland. A character of Trainspotting. Very handsome. We were breaking up all the time. I was crazy about him,  but he was not at all crazy about me. (Laughs) It is very cruel to live with a guy who has very high highs and very low lows,  who takes drugs and so on...It was very hard on me. One night he went totally mad and he threw me out at 4 AM. I was in my boxers in the area of Shepherd Bush in London and he threw my belongings through the window. I was in such a state of shock that I vomited. I had imagined such a movie about the two of us in my head. The next day,  I order a beer in a little pub and Andy was there. We start talking. We get on well. He lived outside of London so I offered him to get him to Victoria station in a taxi. When we were about to say good bye,  he says to me: -"I want to stay with you."-"Do you mean tonight?" - "No for life." I wasn't interested at all. As for him,  he was totally convinced. Andy believed in our story for the two of us.

Q: Where you going out in gay London at night?

A: Of course. As soon as I turned 14,  I hang around at night in the gay area. At Earl's Court,  I went to school. And in Soho,  there were the gay bars,  the prostitutes,  people who told me how to manage the night. There was this wonderful nightclub,  l'Astoria. All the balloons and the confettis at my gigs are inspired by the end of the evenings in Astoria. I knew the guys at the door and I never paid. From time to time they waited to get their reward
and I had to escape before giving it to them! This shaped my teenage years. In the day I sang Schubert,  Brahms at Westminster School,  at night I went out. My first songs were born from this: Love Today,  Grace Kelly.  

Q:  Do you have friends among openly gay stars?

A: Not really. I find we deeply lack a sense of community. At any rate one thing is sure I don't belong to EltonJohn gang... (He stays silent for a while and smiles mischeavously) But,  thanks to instagram,  artists start talking together. Since several weeks we talk everyday Sam Smith and I. However we never met physically. The only one I listen to is Ian McKellen. He has helped me a lot. I call him "my London grandma." (Laughs) I often phone him to ask for his advice. At the beginning of my career,  he told me: "One day you will realize that your sexual preferences are not only relegated to your bedroom,  they are a background for inspiration that will open many friendships. Not only to gay or bi friends,  but also heterosexual friends who love life." He was right. One day I called him to tell him I had been given the medal of chevalier des arts et des lettres. He told me: "oh my dear,  don't be so vulgar! Listen,  I have all the medals. You have to wear them with pride,  but inside your jacket.

Q: Not long ago you were invited at the Elysée. Do you have time to give to messages to politicians when you meet them?

A: I try. But when you talk with a man like Emmanuel Macron,  you're  talking  to a professional politician.This is not the kind of meeting that will win a positive decision. Yet you have to do it all the same. The experience that marked me the most in my adult life is when I went to visit a shelter for young LGBT+ refugees in Beirut.
They came from Irak,  Afghanistan,  Lebanon,  Syria. While listening to their stories I understood their sufferings. In the world,  there are more than 70 countries where men homosexuality is illegal,  punished by death,  corporal punishments or total discrimination. If it is found out that you are gay,  you can lose everything in a day. And it is a reality in countries that sometimes have strong links with France,  like Algeria,  Marocco or Lebanon too. This last one is important for me,  because this is where I have my roots. I am uprooted,  but I know my privileges.

Q: Should France do more for LGBT+ migrants?

A: I think we forget the humanity of those people. We have to tell their stories. So that refugees don't become statistics. Because today,  we have so much information about people who died in trucks,  about people locked in cages and so on...Can we tell the truth about Kadhafi? That he got money from many developped  countries to secure the fronteers and prevent refugees from coming to Europe? Those I met in Beirut had all ages - there was a gay man who was 65 and a young trans girl who was 15.  All of them were rejected by their families,  chased by extremists,  betrayed by their friends,  their country - but also by the country in which they seeked asylum - thrown into the street by landlords who didn't want "freaks." So where do they go those people? They are perfect to be used by prostitution or smugglers rings. They have no money,  no support,  no political protection...They don't exist. We have to tell their stories to give them back their humanity.
 @Kumazzz

Thank you soooo much 💕

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mariposa said:

I love the interview. 😍

Anybody knows if we could get the magazine outside of France? Was looking for it, but wasn't lucky... 

I’ve had good luck using newsstand.co.uk for some recent Mika mags but they don’t seem to have TÊTU :(

Thank you for for the translation @crazyaboutmika What an open & interesting interview :wub2: 

.......The pics aren’t bad either

• Like 4

16 hours ago, mellody said:

Aww that story about him and Andy! :wub2:Quick summary:

Mika came out of a bad relationship with that guy who threw him out at 4am in Shepherd's Bush, the story he told in London. The next day, he met Andy in a pub, and when they separated, Andy told him he wants to spend the rest of his life with him. Mika wasn't interested, but Andy believed in it so much that it was enough for both of them.

Well done Andy!! :wub2: When I read some of Mika's answers, I think Andy must have really strong nerves to stay with Mika for all those years! :teehee: Seems Mika knows what he has in him though. Makes me very happy to know they have each other! :wub2::wub2::wub2:

I'm very happy they have each other too and amazed and moved by everything Mika reveals in that interview as he even goes much further than answering to the questions that are asked. I think we as fans know Mika well and given a chance (if we had been Andy 😂) we would also love Mika and stick with him :wub2:  No one is perfect but when you love someone you take the pros and the cons especially when there are so many pros :wub2:

I didn't know about that bad relationship and I'm glad Andy was there to make Mika believe in love again and that he knew right away that he could :wub2:

After translating the interview I was so moved by Mika's openess and sad because life was not always good to him and also by his words about LGBT+ refugees. I know I say it often but my love for him expends with each album,  each concert and each interview :wub2:

I think we are all so lucky to have found him and that we have all met through him :group_hug:

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I think we as fans know Mika well and given a chance (if we had been Andy 😂) we would also love Mika and stick with him :wub2:  No one is perfect but when you love someone you take the pros and the cons especially when there are so many pros :wub2:

I guess I'd have agreed with you a few years ago... but meanwhile, I know myself good enough to think that I couldn't handle this in the long run, as a partner. As a friend, maybe, that's different... but the way Mika describes himself here, you need to be able to take yourself back a lot for being in a relationship with him, and I couldn't do that, I'm too stubborn myself. :naughty: Even how they met, I definitely wouldn't have told a guy who might not feel the same that I want to spend the rest of my life with him. I'm too proud for that, too worried to get hurt if I'm that open. How good that Andy did it differently than I would have. :thumb_yello:

As about taking the pros and cons of someone you love, I already had the experience in my mid-20s that love isn't enough to stay in a relationship, there can be reasons to separate, even if you love each other.

I definitely agree with the last sentences of your post though. :wub2:

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, mellody said:

Even how they met, I definitely wouldn't have told a guy who might not feel the same that I want to spend the rest of my life with him. I'm too proud for that, too worried to get hurt if I'm that open. How good that Andy did it differently than I would have. :thumb_yello:

What if he was a bit... drunk? 🤔😂

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I'm very happy they have each other too and amazed and moved by everything Mika reveals in that interview as he even goes much further than answering to the questions that are asked. I think we as fans know Mika well and given a chance (if we had been Andy 😂) we would also love Mika and stick with him :wub2:  No one is perfect but when you love someone you take the pros and the cons especially when there are so many pros :wub2:

I didn't know about that bad relationship and I'm glad Andy was there to make Mika believe in love again and that he knew right away that he could :wub2:

After translating the interview I was so moved by Mika's openess and sad because life was not always good to him and also by his words about LGBT+ refugees. I know I say it often but my love for him expends with each album,  each concert and each interview :wub2:

I think we are all so lucky to have found him and that we have all met through him :group_hug:

I feel the same! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

• Like 2

Gala

gala.fr

« Un désastre ! » : Mika raconte sa première fois avec un garçon à l’âge de 15 ans

Actuellement en tournée pour défendre son nouvel album sur scène, le chanteur Mika se livre sur sa toute première relation sexuelle avec un garçon dans les colonnes du magazine Têtu.

Mika a toujours des anecdotes à raconter. Alors qu'il enchaîne les interviews pour la promotion de son dernier album, My Name is Michael Holbrook, et qu'il est actuellement en tournée pour défendre ses nouvelles chansons sur scène, le chanteur libanais a accepté de se confier dans les colonnes du magazine Têtu, en kiosque ce mercredi 27 novembre. L'ancien coach de The Voice : la plus belle voix yévoque notamment sa toute première relation sexuelle avec un garçon. Une expérience que l'artiste de 36 ans définit comme "désastreuse". "C'était humiliant ! J'avais 15 ans - je crois - et je ne comprenais rien. On devrait dire plus souvent que le sexe gay n'est pas facile", affirme Mika qui parle désormais de cette histoire avec beaucoup de légèreté.

Aujourd'hui, il faut dire que l'interprète de Grace Kelly atout pour être heureux. Depuis 13 ans, Mika partage sa vie avec son cher et tendre Andy, de son vrai nom Andréas Dermanis. Une relation fusionnelle et sincère née "dans des circonstances atypiques" puisque le chanteur venait tout juste de se faire larguer par son ancien compagnon. "Il m'a foutu dehors à 4h du matin, j'étais dans un tel étal de choc que j'en ai vomis", avoue-t-il. C'est dans un bar, le lendemain de cette mésaventure, que Mika a rencontré l'homme de sa vie. Depuis, les deux tourtereaux coulent des jours heureux, même s'ils se sont brièvement séparés. La maman du chanteur aura tout fait pour les rabibochés !

Un coming-out en douceur

C'est d'ailleurs grâce à son compagnon Andy que Mika a révélé son homosexualité à ses proches. "Nous étions assis dans la cuisine. Ma mère m’a dit : ‘Au fond, quelle différence cela fait-il ? Je l’ai toujours su. Si toi, tu ne le savais pas, c’est ton problème’ », expliquait-il en septembre dernier dans Paris Match. Toutefois, au début de sa carrière, certains journalistes insistaient pour que l'artiste fasse son coming-out dans la presse. Dans les colonnes de Têtu, Mika est sans langue de bois : "Les considérations de ces gens sont médiatiques et commerciales. Il se fichent de la personne".

Spoiler

" A desaster ! »: Mika tells his first time with a boy at the age of 15

Currently on tour to defend his new album on stage, the singer Mika is about his first sexual relationship with a boy in the columns of the magazine Têtu.

Mika always has anecdotes to tell. While conducting interviews for the promotion of his latest album, My Name is Michael Holbrook, and is currently on tour to defend his new songs on stage, the Lebanese singer has agreed to confide in the columns of the magazine Stubborn, on newsstands this Wednesday, November 27. The former coach of The Voice: the most beautiful voice evokes his very first sexual relationship with a boy. An experience that the 36-year-old artist defines as "disastrous". "It was humiliating, I was 15 years old - I think - and I did not understand anything, we should say more often than not that gay sex is not easy," says Mika, who is now talking about this story with a lot of lightness.

Today, it must be said that the interpreter Grace Kelly asset to be happy. For 13 years, Mika shares her life with her beloved and dear Andy, whose real name is Andreas Dermanis. A fusional and sincere relationship born "in atypical circumstances" since the singer had just been dumped by his former companion. "He kicked me out at 4am, I was in such a shock stall that I vomited," he confesses. It was in a bar, the day after this mishap, that Mika met the man of his life. Since then, the two lovebirds have been happy days, even though they have briefly separated. The mum of the singer will have done everything for rabibochés!

A gentle coming-out

It is also thanks to his companion Andy that Mika revealed his homosexuality to his relatives. "We were sitting in the kitchen, my mother said to me, 'Basically, what difference does it make, I always knew it, if you did not know it, that's your problem,'" he explained last September in Paris Match, but at the beginning of his career, some journalists insisted that the artist come out in the press.In the columns of Têtu, Mika is without language: "The Considerations of these people are media and commercial. They do not care about the person. "

un-desastre-mika-raconte-sa-premiere-fois-avec-un-garcon-a-l-age-de-15-ans.thumb.jpg.4cf1d23c390020ab8498925723f372f9.jpg

un-desastre-mika-raconte-sa-premiere-fois-avec-un-garcon-a-l-age-de-15-ans.thumb.jpg.1aa7ab16180b625749a989f8c1106c90.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 4

Paris Match

https://www.parismatch.com/People/Mika-fait-de-rares-confidences-a-propos-de-sa-rencontre-avec-son-compagnon-Andy-1661628

Mika, sa rencontre "atypique" avec son compagnon Andy

• Publié le 28/11/2019 à 09h36

Mika a fait de rares révélations pour le nouveau numéro magazine «Têtu», sorti en kiosque le jeudi 27 novembre 2019, à propos du jour de sa rencontre avec son chéri Andy, avec qui il est en couple depuis douze ans.

C’est une rencontre digne d’un film romantique… Mika a raconté le soir de sa rencontre avec celui qui partage sa vie depuis douze ans au magazine LGBTQ+ «Têtu», dont il fait la couverture pour le nouveau numéro sorti le jeudi 27 novembre 2019. De rares confidences de la part du coach de «The Voice», qui a expliqué que leur «relation est née dans des circonstances atypiques».

Juste avant de rencontrer son grand amour Andy, de son vrai nom Andréas Dermanis, le chanteur de 36 ans a d’abord connu une histoire d’amour «très courte mais très intense» avec un «mec originaire d’Irlande du Nord». L’interprète de «Relax, Take It Easy» avoue avoir été «dingue» de lui, tant il lui faisait penser à «un personnage de "Trainspotting". Très beau». Malheureusement, ses sentiments n’étaient pas réciproques chez son ex petit ami, qui ne l’aimait «pas du tout».

Mika s’est ensuite remémoré sa violente rupture avec l’Apollon Irlandais : «Une nuit, il a pété un plomb et m'a foutu dehors à 4h du matin. J'étais en caleçon dans le quartier de Shepherd Bush, à Londres». Le choc de la rupture a été si fort pour la star qu’il en a vomi, selon ses confidences au magazine.

Un peu sonné, le cœur brisé, il se rend le lendemain dans un pub pour noyer son chagrin dans de la bière: «Andy était là. On accroche bien (...) alors je propose de le raccompagner en taxi à la gare de Victoria», a-t-il continué. Et puis, le beau blond lui dit au moment de se séparer: Je veux rester avec toi». Surpris, Mika lui répond «Tu veux dire ce soir ?». «Non, pour toute la vie», lui rétorque Andy. Le problème, c’est que l’artiste n’est alors pas intéressé par une nouvelle histoire.

"C'est la merde de vivre avec moi"

Aujourd’hui, Mika explique bien volontiers que s’il file le parfait amour avec son compagnon depuis tant d’années, c’est grâce à l’investissement de son chéri: «Andy a cru pour nous deux à notre histoire», a poursuivi le chanteur, ajoutant qu’il lui était «extrêmement reconnaissant». Il faut dire que le réalisateur de documentaires pour la télévision britannique a dû faire preuve de patience avec Mika, qui ne se cache pas d’être «fou jaloux» en amour, «paranoïaque, même»: «C'est la merde de vivre avec moi (...) Il y a un Mika combattant. Je veux défendre mes points de vue. Je m'enrage tout seul. Et je ne lâche pas, jamais», a-t-il confessé.

Le couple avait d’ailleurs bien failli tirer un trait sur leur histoire il y a quelques années… Mika avait alors expliqué à «Têtu» qu’il avait «compris qu'il ne fallait pas écraser l'autre. Renoncer à vouloir le contrôler. Souvent, on est trop carnivore. On se demande pourquoi on n'aime plus la même personne, mais c'est simplement parce qu'on l'a détruite». Mais leur amour a su résister, promettant encore des jours heureux aux deux tourtereaux.

Spoiler

Mika, his "atypical" meeting with his companion Andy

Posted on 28/11/2019 at 09:36

Mika made rare revelations for the new magazine issue "Têtu", released on newsstands Thursday, November 27, 2019, about the day of his meeting with his darling Andy, with whom he has been in a relationship for twelve years.

It's a meeting worthy of a romantic film ... Mika told the evening of his meeting with the one who shares his life for twelve years in the magazine LGBTQ + "Stubborn", which he makes the cover for the new issue released on Thursday, November 27 2019. Rare confidences from the coach of "The Voice", who explained that their "relationship was born in atypical circumstances".

Just before meeting his great love Andy, whose real name is Andreas Dermanis, the 36-year-old singer first experienced a "very short but very intense" love affair with a "native of Northern Ireland". The interpreter of "Relax, Take It Easy" admits to having been "crazy" about him, so much did he make him think of "a character from" Trainspotting ". Beautiful". Unfortunately, his feelings were not reciprocal in his ex boyfriend, who did not like him "not at all".

Mika then remembered his violent break with the Irish Apollo: "One night, he farted a lead and kicked me out at 4am. I was in boxer shorts in Shepherd Bush, London. The shock of the break was so strong for the star that he vomited, according to his confidences to the magazine.

A little stunned, heartbroken, he goes the next day in a pub to drown his sorrow in beer: "Andy was there. We hang well (...) so I propose to accompany him by taxi to the Victoria station, "he continued. And then, the beautiful blond said to him at the moment of separating: I want to stay with you ». Surprised, Mika replied, "Do you mean tonight?" "No, for the rest of life," retorts Andy. The problem is that the artist is not interested in a new story.

"It's the s**t to live with me"

Today, Mika is happy to explain that if he has been making the perfect love with his partner for so many years, it's thanks to his darling's investment: "Andy believed for us both in our story", the singer continued, adding that he was "extremely grateful" to him. It must be said that the director of documentaries for British television had to be patient with Mika, who does not hide from being "mad jealous" in love, "paranoid, even": "It's the s**t to live with me (...) There is a Mika fighter. I want to defend my points of view. I'm fooling myself. And I do not give up, never, "he confessed.

The couple had almost missed out on their story a few years ago ... Mika had explained to "stubborn" that he "understood that we should not crush the other. Give up wanting to control it. Often, you are too carnivorous. One wonders why one does not like the same person anymore, but it is simply because one has destroyed it ". But their love was able to resist, promising happy days to the two lovebirds.

Mika-fait-de-rares-confidences-a-propos-de-sa-rencontre-avec-son-compagnon-Andy.thumb.jpg.200b57262ddb00e1176635463a0f7ad3.jpg

Mika et son compagnon Andy Dermanis à Roland-Garros à Paris le 11 juin 2017. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1