Revelation tour without M&G's - your thoughts?

mellody

Hi, I just wanted to open a thread about Mika not meeting fans anymore after most shows on this tour, because it has been on my mind for weeks now and I'd love to know what others think about it. How do you feel about this change, compared to previous tours? Do you wonder about the reasons? Do you think it's just temporary?

The only info we have from Mika about it is from an Italian interview around the time of the album release, where he said he'd jump right from the stage into the car, because after giving everything on stage he's most vulnerable.

As a matter of fact, he did meet fans briefly after the shows in London and Madrid, did a long M&G in Barcelona, and apart from that he just left or at some shows at least took time to wave, sometimes with and sometimes without getting out of his car for it. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

• Like 5

I wondered if it was just my impression that he doesn't meet his fans anymore... but now I know I wasn't wrong.

Well , actually I think it's a pity because I believe it's something special for every fan to meet your idol and have the possibility to talk a little bit. That's also something that made Mika being different from other artists. He took some time for a little chat with his fans. I don't know what could be the reason for changing that... Maybe his schedule doesn't allow that anymore cos maybe he needs to go to the next place fast. :dunno:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Starlight said:

I wondered if it was just my impression that he doesn't meet his fans anymore... but now I know I wasn't wrong.

Well , actually I think it's a pity because I believe it's something special for every fan to meet your idol and have the possibility to talk a little bit. That's also something that made Mika being different from other artists. He took some time for a little chat with his fans. I don't know what could be the reason for changing that... Maybe his schedule doesn't allow that anymore cos maybe he needs to go to the next place fast. :dunno:

I think this could be the reason... he has a very busy schedule, and a very energy-consuming show, and he is no more 20 years old heheh.. but I agree that he should reconsider his choice, meeting with the fans is an important part of his job.. not only the show itself.

• Like 2

My own thoughts about this topic are very complicated, I'd end up writing a novel here about the different theories I've made up in my mind about it in the last few weeks. :teehee: Just a few basic thoughts...

a) It has been a development over the last few years that the fan meetings got less and less.

b) As much as it makes me sad not to be able to talk with him anymore, I also do see an advantage in not having to wait for him for hours in the cold after a show. :teehee: 

c) I think he has to do it this way for a reason, it's not an "I'm fed up with meeting my fans". He still loves us.

d) If he can't meet fans the way he used to, I wish at least he could find other ways to communicate with us.

e) He says he gets closer than ever before to his audience at shows - it might be true for those who don't always aim for frontrow and can get close to him when he comes in the crowd for Big Girl - but for me personally, he feels so distant these days. :(

One of my theories includes the songs he plays before the shows, "Freedom" and "I want to break free". Maybe he wants to tell us something with these? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mellody said:

My own thoughts about this topic are very complicated, I'd end up writing a novel here about the different theories I've made up in my mind about it in the last few weeks. :teehee: Just a few basic thoughts...

a) It has been a development over the last few years that the fan meetings got less and less.

b) As much as it makes me sad not to be able to talk with him anymore, I also do see an advantage in not having to wait for him for hours in the cold after a show. :teehee: 

c) I think he has to do it this way for a reason, it's not an "I'm fed up with meeting my fans". He still loves us.

d) If he can't meet fans the way he used to, I wish at least he could find other ways to communicate with us.

e) He says he gets closer than ever before to his audience at shows - it might be true for those who don't always aim for frontrow and can get close to him when he comes in the crowd for Big Girl - but for me personally, he feels so distant these days. :(

One of my theories includes the songs he plays before the shows, "Freedom" and "I want to break free". Maybe he wants to tell us something with these? 

I like your theories. :teehee:

I also don't think it's because he doesn't want to or doesn't like us fans anymore. That's certainly not the reason!

Maybe one day he'll give us a hint or something... 

• Like 3

It seems a bit sadto me. I know he is not obliged to do it but there are fans who have few or only one chance to have some kind of contact with him ( little talk, signature, selfie or pic) and only in those meets can they have it. For me that Mika set aside 5 or 10 minutes at the end of the show would be a gesture to thank the support and effort that many of his fans make to see him. Of course he is free to do it or not. No pressure over him but it would be a beautiful end to a magical night.

It's like a reward and a dream come true from the person you admire and have followed and seen on your computer screen and finally that dream has come true. This is how I felt all the times that Mika has done a meet after a concert and I've been there.

If he doesn't anymore, it will be a shame, but if it is his choice, we will have to respect.

• Like 6

My thoughts about this are also quite complicated. On the one hand, I don't think Mika owes us anything (well, except for the concert that we paid for -- and he definitely delivers that!), and I wouldn't say that meeting fans after gigs is a part of his job. It's a nice bonus, but not something that should be expected of him, especially after putting so much of his energy in performing on stage. On the other hand, I can definitely understand that fans are disappointed because he so rarely does M&Gs these days, especially those who were used to him doing them regularly in the past. I have only been following him since 2014, so I wasn't around in the "good old days" (and he didn't do that many M&Gs during the Heaven tour either). I'm sure having something and then having it taken away is more disappointing than never having experienced it in the first place. Also, I was lucky enough to be in Barcelona and experience the one really great M&G he has done so far during this tour, so I definitely can't complain.

As for the reasons for the change, obviously we can't really know for sure, as he's the only person who could answer the question. My guess is that in the past he felt like he did "owe" his fans something more than just the concert (and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way: being famous was still sort of new for him and he was in awe that so many people loved him and were willing to follow him, so he wanted to get to know them and do something for them in return). But as he got older, he gradually realized that he actually isn't obligated to make everyone happy, especially if he's feeling tired or just not in the mood to talk to crowds of people. Perhaps his mother's illness has also made him reconsider his priorities and influenced his behaviour a little? This is all just speculation, of course.

Anyway, like I said, I can definitely see the issue from both sides. I've decided to lower my expectations when I go to gigs and just look forward to a great show. If anything happens after it, it's a wonderful and unexpected bonus, and if it doesn't, I already had a great time anyway. :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Camilla Serendipity Gotti said:

I think this could be the reason... he has a very busy schedule, and a very energy-consuming show, and he is no more 20 years old heheh.. but I agree that he should reconsider his choice, meeting with the fans is an important part of his job.. not only the show itself.

I agree with you and don't know if I'm right but I've got the feeling that he shortened the whole after show stuff

Like for example this last gig in Bercy ,I was surprised that he left so early as it was a special one ,with many friends of him ,closed to Xmas and with no gig the next days . 

In Lille he said that he wasn't used to before ,but decided not to speak anymore between gigs to preserve his voice

Remember too that he had to cancel some gigs from the Heaven tour because he was sick …..

So he may have learned from some mistakes he made in the past  ,especially as the Revolution tour in a winter tour ? Maybe not by chance that the only "great" meeting was in Spain tho….. 🌞 

Also not to forget that we don't know how much he suffers from his mother's desease ,both emotionaly and physically even if he's hidding it very well on stage (everybody who went threw that kind of experience will understand what I mean )

I went to the signing session in Paris ,I felt like he looked very tired even with only 2 "pre tour" gigs behind

On the other hand he's sharing many more things via social media than he did for the Heaven tour …...should be a way to try to be close to his fans on an other way (and every fans ,not only the ones that are able to wait or be first row ) and to show his gratitude ?

Of course I'd also be joyfull to see him much after gigs ,but I'm sure he's got his reasons

Edited by carafon
  • Like 7

Anyway he meets the fans in many other ways.. in Italy this autumn he made some unscheduled shows in Ancona and Livorno just walking and singing in the city center during the day.. during the concerts he come between people and I have never seen anyone else doing that with all the risks connected with that. Ok he is most famous now but I feel that his connection with people who follows him is still stronger and more sincere and pure in comparisons with other artists. I've been following him since Grace Kelly but in a very light and episodic way... I know that is mother is not feeling well but I don't know what she has.. can you tell me? 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Camilla Serendipity Gotti said:

I know that is mother is not feeling well but I don't know what she has.. can you tell me? 

I think that there is an English translation , you'll get all the explanations there

Edited by carafon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Starlight said:

I like your theories. :teehee:

I also don't think it's because he doesn't want to or doesn't like us fans anymore. That's certainly not the reason!

Maybe one day he'll give us a hint or something... 

yes also in Turin no meet no autographs:dunno:  its normal because it's rain poor Mika  yes @Starlight i agree with you

4 hours ago, Lunari said:

My thoughts about this are also quite complicated. On the one hand, I don't think Mika owes us anything (well, except for the concert that we paid for -- and he definitely delivers that!), and I wouldn't say that meeting fans after gigs is a part of his job. It's a nice bonus, but not something that should be expected of him, especially after putting so much of his energy in performing on stage. On the other hand, I can definitely understand that fans are disappointed because he so rarely does M&Gs these days, especially those who were used to him doing them regularly in the past. I have only been following him since 2014, so I wasn't around in the "good old days" (and he didn't do that many M&Gs during the Heaven tour either). I'm sure having something and then having it taken away is more disappointing than never having experienced it in the first place. Also, I was lucky enough to be in Barcelona and experience the one really great M&G he has done so far during this tour, so I definitely can't complain.

As for the reasons for the change, obviously we can't really know for sure, as he's the only person who could answer the question. My guess is that in the past he felt like he did "owe" his fans something more than just the concert (and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way: being famous was still sort of new for him and he was in awe that so many people loved him and were willing to follow him, so he wanted to get to know them and do something for them in return). But as he got older, he gradually realized that he actually isn't obligated to make everyone happy, especially if he's feeling tired or just not in the mood to talk to crowds of people. Perhaps his mother's illness has also made him reconsider his priorities and influenced his behaviour a little? This is all just speculation, of course.

Anyway, like I said, I can definitely see the issue from both sides. I've decided to lower my expectations when I go to gigs and just look forward to a great show. If anything happens after it, it's a wonderful and unexpected bonus, and if it doesn't, I already had a great time anyway. :mf_rosetinted:

I totally agree - very well spoken/written! :thumb_yello: You're such a wise lady Andrea!:hug: I wish you, and everybody else on the MFC,  a very happy, healthy, joyful og super new year!! :wub:  Hope to see you all at a new MIKA gig during 2020...:fisch::mf_lustslow:  

Love, love

me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mamiam said:

I totally agree - very well spoken/written! :thumb_yello: You're such a wise lady Andrea!:hug: I wish you, and everybody else on the MFC,  a very happy, healthy, joyful og super new year!! :wub:  Hope to see you all at a new MIKA gig during 2020...:fisch::mf_lustslow:  

Love, love

me

I don't know about being wise, but thank you. :blush-anim-cl: I wish an amazing 2020 to you too and definitely hope to see you at a Mika gig soon! :hug:

• Like 2

I too have mixed feelings about him not meeting fans. He doesn't owe us anything, but it's also a special chance for people to tell him something or give him gifts or whatever. 

He did stop and meet a lot of the waiting fans after the shows in NYC and all of them waiting after the 2nd one in Montreal (i think he stopped for fans at the California and Mexico gigs too?) so maybe he's just not doing m&gs in Europe? Perhaps because there are just so many fans waiting he thinks 'well, if i can't meet them all i better just not meet any'? 

I guess we'll find out after the Australian shows.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Camilla Serendipity Gotti said:

Anyway he meets the fans in many other ways.. in Italy this autumn he made some unscheduled shows in Ancona and Livorno just walking and singing in the city center during the day..

But he only does that in Italy or maybe France, what happens to fans from other countries who only have the chance to have a contact with him in those meets? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

But he only does that in Italy or maybe France, what happens to fans from other countries who only have the chance to have a contact with him in those meets? 

I thought he used to do that in other places too.. my worry is that with all these tours and notoriety he could start to act like a real star. Anyway, we will see what will happen and in case we will let him know our complaints... is this the official Mika Fan Club or not??? :das::glasses3:

4 minutes ago, Camilla Serendipity Gotti said:

I thought he used to do that in other places too.. my worry is that with all these tours and notoriety he could start to act like a real star. Anyway, we will see what will happen and in case we will let him know our complaints... is this the official Mika Fan Club or not??? :das::glasses3:

He's acting like a celebrity sometimes. 

Yes, it is. 

I really hope this thing will change. I've been a mika fan since I was 10/11 years old, more or less 5 years ago, and I've been waiting for him since then. For the first time I saw him live at the concert in Milan and it was incredible. I have never had the opportunity to do an M&G with him, and I know that giving him a hug would make me the happiest person in the world. I think anyway all these concerts, one after the other, are tiring him a lot, not considering the situation of his mother. I hope it is only a temporary situation also because I seem to have understood that this is the first time that he doesn’t meet fans. I also think he is aware of this and that is why at every concert he goes down to the audience to dance during the song "Big girl" however I have practically just joined to this club and I am happy that there are so many people who share my passion for him. I'm Italian so sorry for the bad english😂😅
  • Like 2

I agree with a lot of what @Lunari writes. I also don't see meeting fans as part of his job. I don't want to persuade him to meet his fans, to talk with me, if he doesn't actually want to do it, that wouldn't be honest. I just would love to know his reasons, to be able to better adjust to the situation. 

I always had the feeling that he talked with us because he enjoyed doing this, but maybe he changed his mind, as Lunari says. Or maybe he always had ambivalent feelings about meeting his fans, a pleasure as well as an obligation. And yes, I can imagine that it takes a lot of energy - I have 2 kids and am already going crazy if they're both screaming their demands at me at the same time, imagine that with 100 fans! :aah: :lmfao: 

I wish I could just "decide" not to have any expectations (tho it's more hopes than expectations) besides a great gig, but I'm too emotionally involved for this. I'm investing a lot, by doing voluntary work as a MFC Mod, putting together the yearbook, travelling to many gigs, organizing fan-actions etc., and so far I mostly had the feeling that it was "worth it". Of course I know that this is my own problem & responsibility, and not Mika's, he's not asking me to do these things, it's purely my own decision. It's just that with this change now I feel lost, because I feel something is missing, I don't know why this is the case or if it's just temporary (tho as I said, I see this as an development over the past few years), and I'm wondering how much I can still invest without feeling hurt. Surely not zero, because no matter what he does or doesn't do offstage, his gigs are still amazing, magical, something that makes me happy and where I can forget everything else. :cloud: 

There are many fans who used to follow him a lot and who now go to only 2 or 3 gigs of one tour, who used to post on MFC quite often and now hardly do so anymore. I also miss them on here, especially when reading the old threads from 2012 or earlier - the emotional involvement from back then gets more and more replaced by a certain indifference ... well, and I wonder if that's the way it's supposed to go, if that is what Mika wants, that his fans just like his music and shows but besides this don't get too involved. It's even very hard to get gifts or letters to him these days, and apart from few exceptions we never know if he even received them. He said 'no more gifts' in an IG story earlier this year, so I suppose even that is on purpose.

Whether he really doesn't want all of this anymore or whether he just needs some time to free himself from any of our expectations / hopes that may be connected with this emotional involvement, or any other reasons for this change, I wish he'd just let us know, because it concerns us as well. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

@mellody your post is so sweet! When I said that meeting fans was part of his job I meant that his way of behaving, so sweet and so open, always taking care of his fans, is in my opinion what makes him so special and unique even more than his show itself. As for me, the first reason why I decided to go to his concert was because of his lovely adorable moods better than his music alone. Hope he will realize it 🌹

32 minutes ago, Alice.briguglio said:

I really hope this thing will change. I've been a mika fan since I was 10/11 years old, more or less 5 years ago, and
 I've been waiting for him since then. For the first time I saw him live at the concert in Milan and it was 
incredible.
 I have never had the opportunity to do an M&G with him, and I know that giving him a hug would make me the happiest
 person in the world. I think anyway all these concerts, one after the other, are tiring him a lot, not considering
 the situation of his mother. I hope it is only a temporary situation also because I seem to have understood that 
this is the first time that he doesn’t meet fans.
I also think he is aware of this and that is why at every concert he goes down to the audience to dance during the 
song "Big girl"

however I have practically just joined to this club and I am happy that there are so many people who share my passion 
for him.
I'm Italian so sorry for the bad english😂😅

Ciao @Alice.briguglio and welcome to the MFC, If you like, you can introduce yourself here:   https://www.mikafanclub.com/forum/5-introductions/ so you can tell us more about yourself and also more people can welcome you. :bye:

• Like 1

I can understand the "No more gifts" stance - he must have been given enough stuff over the years to fill a warehouse!   And I can understand him wanting to save his voice (and not exposing himself to too many germs) while on a big tour.

But I do miss him coming out and chatting to fans after gigs.  He hasn't been doing that after London gigs for some years, mainly because of the huge crowds that wait for him.  He also dislikes badly behaved fans that mob him and try to touch him - guaranteed to make him leave.

It seems the best chance of meeting him these days is to attend signing sessions, at least then you might get to say a few words to him, and he gets to deal with people individually rather than face a crowd clamouring for his attention.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, silver said:

I can understand the "No more gifts" stance - he must have been given enough stuff over the years to fill a warehouse!   And I can understand him wanting to save his voice (and not exposing himself to too many germs) while on a big tour.

But I do miss him coming out and chatting to fans after gigs.  He hasn't been doing that after London gigs for some years, mainly because of the huge crowds that wait for him.  He also dislikes badly behaved fans that mob him and try to touch him - guaranteed to make him leave.

It seems the best chance of meeting him these days is to attend signing sessions, at least then you might get to say a few words to him, and he gets to deal with people individually rather than face a crowd clamouring for his attention.

You may be right about the gifts, but the cut is quite big to reduce the M&G's as well as the gifts at the same time. :dunno:

As for the germs, not sure he doesn't get even more when going in the crowd for Big Girl. Also he gets lots of people touching him there, lots more than at aftershow M&G's. Surely it's good for him though not having to spend 10 minutes outside in the cold when he's sweaty and exhausted after a gig. As someone said here before, we'll see what he does at the Australian gigs, it's summer there. :teehee: And probably much less crowded. Y'know, if I knew he'd do nice long M&G's there, I'd even consider a weekend trip to Australia. :aah: I'm hoping for some more (European) summer gigs tho, preferably outside of France & Italy, that'd be easier...

Also he has done M&G's before where he didn't speak, so saving his voice and doing M&G's also don't really exclude each other. He can say a lot with his eyes and smile. :wub2:

Signing sessions, yeah, I guess the next ones will be after the release of his next album. :rolleyes: If he did them more often now, as a replacement for the missing aftershow M&G's, then why not - tho I'm not a big fan of signing sessions as such, I always find that a bit "forced". But he could do one in the UK for a change. :fisch:

• Like 2

I just found the "no more gifts" post again, as someone has asked me for it via DM - it was a post, not a story. 

"Just music and shows and dancing", guess I got my answer there.

• Like 4