Revelation tour without M&G's - your thoughts?

mellody

4 hours ago, Littlelady said:

hm, most of the fans behaved  reasonable by waiting for him,but sadly not all,. For example that crazy woman who jumed at him in te car and started to kiss him. Things ike that can be responsible as well. I don't think that Mika loves his fans less than before and I hope fans will not love him less even there will be no meet and greets. Maybe in future there will be organized , to be paid seldom  ones which I could deal with even it would  mean 10  euro extra ( Erasure sometimes do it that way), I hate if artists demand much money  from their fans for an meet and greet taht also means 30 seconds time for everyone.  Or maybe Mikas team will say, the only change tomeet him would be signing sessions. That would be sad for countries like mine where happens nothnig and also would make no sense. So please, dear Mika, take the time you need but please  try to find a way for some meet and greets in future

@Littleandy yes i'm agree with you

4 hours ago, carafon said:

@mellody I think that it isn't worth it torturing yourself because whatever the reasons are there's nothing that you (we) can do:dunno:

Imo the only question is if you still enjoy going to gigs anyway . If the answer is yes ,well ,just keep going ,enjoy the moment and who knows you may have a good surprise the day you'll not expect it :yay:

I'm not torturing myself, it's just the difference between theories and feelings - my heart needs to accept what my brain already understands, that the "good old" Mika times of 10 years ago are gone forever and won't come back, nor will be replaced by something better. Mika turning back to music and his new album, as well as his "Revelation" tour had given me hope, but that was a mistake, it only makes it harder now. My fault. I'll get over it. ;) And as I said before, I don't think it'll affect my love for his gigs and his music - they're definitely as good as they always were, the music even better. :wub2:

See you in 2020! :biggrin2:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

New year, new thoughts. :naughty:

I just re-read an US interview from October and especially this quote gave me some new ideas...

Has this album been cathartic for you? 

Its an extremely cathartic piece of work for me. And its also a kind of provocation to myself where I realize that this idea that we spend most of our lives building our foundations on people that we love and we rely on, there comes a point when that version of your foundation starts to change or shift or disappear, and you have to do it in a different way and the only way you can do it is by knowing where you come from, by being at peace with yourself and celebrating, also, all the people around you who you love. Feeling that sense of self-worth is the only way you can have a chance of figuring out where the hell youre going to end up. We dont really know who we are, and anyone who says, I know who I am” … youre never gonna fucking know really who you are. 

While I don't really agree with his last pont that this is true for everyone (imo it's rather our place in the world around us that constantly changes and that we have to reconsider again and again, rather than our true self), apparently for him this never really knowing yourself and trying to find out is an important thing - 2 questions later he says that it's one of his main motivations for writing. 

So while I thought the process of reinventing himself was done (for now) by writing the album, apparently he sees it as a constant process, constant change, and it also brings us back to the topic of freedom. As Siri wrote, the freedom to go to bed early or meet his fans, without one or the other causing dramas (which I admit is hard, because how can you have this freedom but be at least somewhat reliable at the same time?). But also the freedom to be what he wants to be without our preconditioned opinions, and maybe also without constantly being told how amazing he is, from people who hardly know him.

Since Mika performed George Michael's Freedom in that French TV show, I also thought about this again and can't help but find some parallels in the lyrics:

I won't let you down, so please don't give me up - We're gonna stay high / don't let me down now now

Now I'm gonna get myself happy - now I'm high on a Tiny Love

There's something deep inside of me,  there's someone I forgot to be - My name is Michael Holbrook, I was born in 1983

What do you think, accurate or too far-fetched? :teehee:

Anyway, one reason why I'm trying to find out more about Mika's motivations for not meeting his fans anymore is that I think he wants us to understand him, but of course without explaining his reasons to us. He hardly ever explains anything, so his music and interviews and maybe things he says on stage (which mostly I don't understand, due to language issues) are our only source. I really love discussing these with you, as I love reading other people's opinions and views on the things Mika says/sings and does, it's good to view things from many different perspectives. 10 years ago a thread about this topic probably would've had 10 new pages per day, but I'm glad that discussions on MFC these days are a bit less chaotic but instead deeper. :teehee:

• Like 9

Ahh, I really hope this is a temporary change to Mika's shows. I went to my first show with last year's Tiny Love Tiny Tour and I wanted to wait for Mika afterwards but I was too tired thinking he might not even come. I then read up that he did in fact visit fans after the show and I have been kicking myself for not staying to see him. I always hoped that if I would go to another of his concerts in the future I would stay and hopefully meet him just once, but if this is a permanent thing then I'll forever beat myself up for missing my once in a life time opportunity 😓 I won't blame him if this does become a standard though. It was very generous of him to do this almost every show, he never owed the fanbase this though he did it anyway, but it was bound to end sometime.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dilo said:

Ahh, I really hope this is a temporary change to Mika's shows. I went to my first show with last year's Tiny Love Tiny Tour and I wanted to wait for Mika afterwards but I was too tired thinking he might not even come. I then read up that he did in fact visit fans after the show and I have been kicking myself for not staying to see him. I always hoped that if I would go to another of his concerts in the future I would stay and hopefully meet him just once, but if this is a permanent thing then I'll forever beat myself up for missing my once in a life time opportunity 😓 I won't blame him if this does become a standard though. It was very generous of him to do this almost every show, he never owed the fanbase this though he did it anyway, but it was bound to end sometime.

Hi @Dilo and welcome to the MFC :bye: If you want, you could post an introduction here  https://www.mikafanclub.com/forum/5-introductions/so you can tell us more about yourself and how you discovered Mika! :wink2:

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 9:11 AM, Dilo said:

I always hoped that if I would go to another of his concerts in the future I would stay and hopefully meet him just once, but if this is a permanent thing then I'll forever beat myself up for missing my once in a life time opportunity 😓

Welcome! :welcomeani:

I hope you'll get a chance when he comes back for more US gigs. :crossed: I think it's not as crazy there as in Europe, less people waiting for him after the shows, so who knows...

• Like 2

Hello everyone! I wish you a very good new Year😊and I want to thank you for this interesting question, my personal experience is a little sad because when I started to follow Mika in 2015 I had a real opportunity to go to the gig in Cernobbio in 2016 where He did a meet & great with fans but I failed my unique possibility to meet him, because I didn’t know anyone in the fandom and For some stupid reasons I didn’t get the pass to enter..for my fault 😢

Anyway I think an artist is not obliged to meet his fans after his concerts, Mika is an exception in a certain way, there are some singers that never stop after their gigs, I think it’s a bit normal He changes his way to meet his fans in his career, now He is most known than in the past and He has many fans that follow him everywhere. 
The old fans that knew him from the beginning and have the luck to meet him many times maybe suffer more this change of behavior..I think.

I live in Italy and despite He did here a lot of things, I never had the possibility to meet him after the events where I went, because there are lot of people waiting for him and the situation is chaotic.
I agree with @mellody and @Siri, This tour is very hard for him, there are a lot of gigs in different places scheduled and I think He needs some reasonable rest to have the necessary energy for the other gigs and this is one reason.
The mother’s illness is a very hard point in this moment of his life, I have the feeling that He gives all He can on the stage, because it’s a place where He has the real freedom to express himself, but at the same time He can’t afford other things..He has always his smile on his face, but I remember very well the speech in Bologna about his mother and also in other occasions on the stage, the fact that his mother was not present for his bad health...this broke my heart💔. Definitely his thoughts are there, He is touring but He is a worried son and his mother has in his life a strong importance.

I think He likes to meet fans and talk to them but This happens when there are good conditions...few people or sometimes in places where He goes not so often, as in London..or US and in a tour a few occasions..

This is my opinion..

• Like 7

@Patty70, you've made some great points, especially about how Mika must be affected by his mother's illness. I sometimes think that we're lucky he's even touring at this difficult time in his life, but in a way, touring is probably what helps him cope with it. Like you said, he can express himself on stage in a way that he can't anywhere else.

I'm sorry that you missed the M&G in Cernobbio. If it makes you feel any better, there are no guarantees that you could have talked to Mika even if you had been there. I was there, and while it was definitely an amazing experience (I loved seeing him up close and listening to him talk about his projects), it was also a bit chaotic and a lot of people, including me, didn't really get to talk to him. I also know what you mean about events in Italy in general, but still, you never know when a good opportunity will present itself, so don't give up hope! :wink2:

Edited by Lunari
  • Like 5

On 12/30/2019 at 4:24 PM, mellody said:

I also thought it was momentary at that time, but as it has gotten really hard now to get gifts to him, he doesn't even have a fanmail address anymore, I rather think it was his plan.

Here is a video from a m&g after The Voice recordings a few years ago, he asked again the fans to stop waiting for him and stop giving him presents all the time, with a quite firm tone: 

47 minutes ago, krysady said:

Here is a video from a m&g after The Voice recordings a few years ago, he asked again the fans to stop waiting for him and stop giving him presents all the time, with a quite firm tone: 

Thanks for posting - I had never heard that he said to fans not to wait or to stop giving him gifts. But I never watch M&G videos from France or Italy, as I don't understand most of what he says anyway. When was this?

From what I understand here, he says he doesn't want them to wait in the cold all the time? Maybe someone could write down here what he says exactly?

Maybe he felt sort of obliged to meet fans if they have been waiting for him for hours in the cold, and now he finally decided to stop it - because obviously no one will stop waiting if he does meet fans almost every time? :teehee:

• Like 1

keep calm it's normal he do protect himself he is tired after show guys.. maybe when tour is end he meet fans again:yes: don't worry

Edited by Paoletta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Maybe he felt sort of obliged to meet fans if they have been waiting for him for hours in the cold, and now he finally decided to stop it - because obviously no one will stop waiting if he does meet fans almost every time? :teehee:

Hmm good point. :naughty: Because we fans don't fear anything for meeting him. :aah:

I can understand that he doesn't want any gifts anymore... I mean he'll probably need a house for all the stuff he got. :lmao: But still it would be nice to know that there is the chance of speaking some words to him after a gig.

Anyway it's his decision and we have to accept it. :dunno:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mellody said:
2 hours ago, mellody said:

From what I understand here, he says he doesn't want them to wait in the cold all the time? Maybe someone could write down here what he says exactly?

In the vid he thanks fans for supporting him but he says they have to stop waiting him in the cold all the time and he asks to some specific persons to stop to bring him some kind of gifts.. In this case He is referring to some fans maybe French fans.. He says they know who are the persons he is talking about. 

Maybe they made him big gifts.. I don't know.. 

Anyway I think this question about gifts is so complicated because for fans is human and normal to express the admiration and love for him to buy and give him some presents.. But at the same time this habit  is becoming dangerous, because many fans use this way to search his attention and every time people try to surprise him with more important or strange or original things.. It is becoming also a sort of competition between fans... So it is difficult also for him.?? Maybe.. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, I could imagine that he doesn't like if people buy him stuff. He said from the beginning that he prefers the handmade things (Actually the first ever time I met him he looked very disappointed when I told him the gift he thanked me for was bought 🙈), but over the years he didn't make this difference much anymore, so my impression was that with getting older his opinion changed and he liked more sophisticated gifts. And maybe that's true, but he meanwhile decided that he doesn't need all this stuff at all.

Anyway, either he's not very consequent (which would explain why he's telling fans not to wait for him, but still going to meet them :aah: ) or he does still like the handmade stuff, at least if it's done well, as he wrote that IG post about the FIMO dolls of his family with the Toyota. But well, I guess giving him no gifts anymore, or just things like donations to a good cause in his name, can't be wrong. I wonder if he still likes those things, also things like fan actions at his gigs, on which people spend money and time, but it's nothing he has to store anywhere. It seems he likes it, but I don't know what to believe anymore these days. :dunno: Maybe it'd be better if we spent that money on merch, or buying 100 copies of his CD, I suppose that'd help him more (I can't get over those sales numbers from France :crybaby:). But true what Patty says, that's not something that individuals get attention for. The gifts thing has always been sort of a competition between fans, he always was so happy about gifts in the first few years that everyone wanted to get that reaction from him. Maybe he should instead start thanking everyone who does NOT give him gifts, to stop this. :lmao:

Thanks @Patty70 for the translation. Now that I know what he's saying, I might even have seen or heard about this video at some point, but didn't keep it in mind because I thought it was just about certain fans who came to the Voice all the time. But yes, he really does sound very serious, and I guess it's just the tip of the iceberg what we're seeing there. If he was that honest / direct more often, I suppose I'd understand him better - with all this, it's somewhat hard to tell when he really likes something vs when he's just being nice. Maybe he's doing exactly that at the moment, less "being nice", more doing / showing what he really likes. :dunno: And/or even just finding out, as I said earlier in this thread.

• Like 4

After watching the Domenica In Interview with subtitles, I think I might know the answer to whether that change is temporary or permanent: There isn't an answer, Mika doesn't know himself. He said in that interview that he learned to give up wanting to control everything and that he accepted he doesn't know what will be tomorrow, muchless a year from now.

Generally that is a good thing, but also a hard thing to learn. I had to learn it as well with my little daughter (long story) - but idk, I think it's important to have the feeling to have control over at least some parts of your life, it gives a feeling of security in a chaotic world.

It may be a funny comparison, but in some way Mika these days reminds me of Elsa from 'Frozen', with "Let it Go". Giving up control, revealing your true self, feeling much more free by doing these things - but at the same time building a castle of ice around you, to protect yourself. Maybe that is the distance that I (and other fans) feel these days. Luckily, unlike Elsa, he keeps his loved ones close to him.

Mika explained by Disney. :lmao: I guess I'll better go now and prepare some anniversary competitions. :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

About gifts, at least in Italy, where there are always many fans, even if no one acts unrespectful (and since we are a lot, it’s also easy that there will be someone screaming or pushing or trying to touch him) it’s become really clear that having gifts is like the easiest way to grab his attention and getting to talk a bit to him 🙈 (and if you don’t know what to tell him, it’s easier to start a little chat if you talk about the gift)  

of course I’m not talking about official signing session, but when he comes out after events 

So yes, it’s become a sort of competition between fans to get really cool gifts which don’t get unnoticed 😅

About not doing any m&g at all in Europe, well I don’t know, he stopped a bit in the US and in the first 3 European dates, so we hoped he would have still stopped sometimes  🤷🏻‍♀️

I don’t know if it could be someway related to him moving by car with his partner (they started traveling by car in Pau, when he stopped meeting fans) like he has to drive and he’s too tired to wait for mika doing m&g😂😂 well, I think maybe this is a too fantasy interpretation 😂

Edited by maggie112
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, Patty70 said:

In the vid he thanks fans for supporting him but he says they have to stop waiting him in the cold all the time and he asks to some specific persons to stop to bring him some kind of gifts.. In this case He is referring to some fans maybe French fans.. He says they know who are the persons he is talking about. 

Anyway I think this question about gifts is so complicated because for fans is human and normal to express the admiration and love for him to buy and give him some presents.. But at the same time this habit  is becoming dangerous, because many fans use this way to search his attention and every time people try to surprise him with more important or strange or original things.. It is becoming also a sort of competition between fans... So it is difficult also for him.?? Maybe.. 

I’ve been to only one CASA MIKA recording in Milan and he stopped few minutes at like 4 AM, he was really nice, collected gifts and said goodbye, but he also told us that doing his own show was very “painful” compared to talent shows, and that we should go to bed instead of waiting him for hours in the cold 

• Like 3

I believe he won't change his mind as far as European gigs are concerned because he's had to deal with too many hysterical fans here. He may M & G with fans in the US where people are more respectful but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I also agree with what has been said before: his mum's illness must always be on his mind and it would be embarrassing for him to get wishes from fans as he is a very private person. So he will deliver the goods, ie a performance but not more.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, Patty70 said:

I think the best way to express admiration, gratitude and love is to respect his wishes,  not to impose on him meetings his doesn't want, bulky presents or an impromptu birthday celebration when all he thirst for is going back home or to his hotel and relax with his loved ones.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2020 at 12:15 AM, Seaminaway said:

I believe he won't change his mind as far as European gigs are concerned because he's had to deal with too many hysterical fans here. He may M & G with fans in the US where people are more respectful but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I also agree with what has been said before: his mum's illness must always be on his mind and it would be embarrassing for him to get wishes from fans as he is a very private person. So he will deliver the goods, ie a performance but not more.

Hi and welcome to MFC! :welcomeani: If you want, you can open a thread in the introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself, how you discovered Mika, etc.: https://www.mikafanclub.com/forum/5-introductions/ :)

1 hour ago, Seaminaway said:

I think the best way to express admiration, gratitude and love is to respect his wishes,  

I think everyone on here agrees with this. I don't know how long you've been a Mika fan for, but for the most part the relationship between Mika and his fans has always been very respectful. Of course there are always some people who behave in a disrespectful way, whether in Europe or the U.S., or anywhere else in the world. And probably even more, unintentionally, if we assume that Mika often said Yes when he meant No. It surely is one way to interpret the current situation, but as I said before, either it's not the case, or Mika isn't very consequent, at least re. the "bulky presents", if he even thanks people for it on Instagram.

I think Mika is very well able to say what he wants, like, often enough he said he doesn't want to sign things or take photos with people, when he was too tired. Even if he gets a few disappointed looks for it. Also, although I wasn't at any of the improptu Xmas parties (don't know about any improptu birthday parties), from the videos it looked to me as if he enjoyed it. If he had just wanted to please people, but actually would've preferred to go back to his hotel, he could've stayed much shorter than he did. :dunno: But of course we won't know what he's thinking unless he tells us.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mellody said:

I think everyone on here agrees with this. I don't know how long you've been a Mika fan for, but for the most part the relationship between Mika and his fans has always been very respectful. Of course there are always some people who behave in a disrespectful way, whether in Europe or the U.S., or anywhere else in the world. And probably even more, unintentionally, if we assume that Mika often said Yes when he meant No. It surely is one way to interpret the current situation, but as I said before, either it's not the case, or Mika isn't very consequent, at least re. the "bulky presents", if he even thanks people for it on Instagram.

I think Mika is very well able to say what he wants, like, often enough he said he doesn't want to sign things or take photos with people, when he was too tired. Even if he gets a few disappointed looks for it. Also, although I wasn't at any of the improptu Xmas parties (don't know about any improptu birthday parties), from the videos it looked to me as if he enjoyed it. If he had just wanted to please people, but actually would've preferred to go back to his hotel, he could've stayed much shorter than he did. :dunno: But of course we won't know what he's thinking unless he tells us.

Since "The Boy who knew too much" I think, which must make a comparative newbie of me. Then I went to youtube to watch former gigs.

There was an impromptu bd party in Italy, I don't know where and when exactly, and a not so impromptu one in Colmar. There were videos on Youtube, I couldn't find the Italian ones but I remember coming across it.

He has told us unless he changes his mind, and you are right, he's not always consequent. The problem is that some of his fans acted as if they owned him or had made him and that it gave them a right to tell him what to do, musicwise. It led to sometimes cruel and even rude reactions from Mika and they should have taken the hint because it was untypical of him. When your cudly pitbull starts growling and baring its fangs you'd better take heed if you don't want to be mangled.

The lanky boy who couldn't believe his luck at the beginning of his success has moved on, he is still the right side of forty but not for long, he is an uncle, he has settled down with his on/off/on again partner, he's had to face hard things in his personal life and survive.

I suppose we can accept to interact with him only through Instagram or his fan clubs or just by going to his gigs and painting the theatre red.  And we may not demand more than a good performance, which so far he has delivered with a vengeance.

Edited by Seaminaway
  • Like 1

I find this part of a recent Canadian interview very interesting, especially the bolded part (the rest I posted here just so you get the context without reading the whole interview):

5 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

"After spending more than 10 years with a person (the singer is in a relationship with the director Andreas Dermanis), you arrive at a time when you have to make the decision whether to leave or if you stay, it's that simple only that. You no longer have the rush of love from the beginning, and when you look at the other person, you see yourself. It can make you very uncomfortable. Not only that, but everything I did sent me back to myself, whether in my personal life or in my work. But life changes and when you become an adult you have to face yourself. ”

Not wanting to get depressed or resentful, Mika opted for another strategy instead.

"I decided to be more detached from the people around me, whether it be the person I love, my family or my friends, as a kind of detachment so that I could be even more in love. I told myself that by being detached, I could be closer to what I feel. For the moment, it works perfectly. I'm happier and more resilient today, and it makes it easier for me to find a balance. "

... and I assume also from his fans. Not that I understand his logic there (probably because it isn't logical but his way to deal with his feelings), but it fits to the distance I feel from him these days, it fits to not partying with his friends after the Bercy gig, and well, I don't really know if it fits to the missing m&g's, after all he has done some in the US, Canada and Barcelona... but it certainly explains a few things I had been wondering about.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, mellody said:

I find this part of a recent Canadian interview very interesting, especially the bolded part (the rest I posted here just so you get the context without reading the whole interview):

... and I assume also from his fans. Not that I understand his logic there (probably because it isn't logical but his way to deal with his feelings), but it fits to the distance I feel from him these days, it fits to not partying with his friends after the Bercy gig, and well, I don't really know if it fits to the missing m&g's, after all he has done some in the US, Canada and Barcelona... but it certainly explains a few things I had been wondering about.

I still don’t really get what he does mean with “being detached” from the ones he loves 🤷🏻‍♀️ (also because speaking about the tour itself, he toured mostly all the time with his partner🤔) and how to link with no doing m&g’s in Europe, as you said 🤷🏻‍♀️