2020 @ Enmore Theatre, Sydney, Australia 26 Feb REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

Kumazzz

Reverb Magazine Online

reverbstreetpress.com

[Live Review] MIKA (Sydney)

Enmore Theatre, Sydney

Wednesday 26 February 2020

Reviewer and Photographer : Annette Geneva

What happens when an international pop sensation returns to a country he hasn’t toured in 11 years, despite releasing quite a few albums after his last visit? Well let me tell you…

The evening was off to an interesting start with CHELA as support. CHELA hails from Fremantle and while she has not released an album yet, her support slot for Mika’s tour showcased her numerous singles. CHELA is a very talented singer-songwriter who worked with a bunch of big names in the music industry, however what has taken me was the fact that I have never heard of her until today, but I realised that I have heard her songs before – not knowingly of who the credit for those songs belonged to.

Tonight however, CHELA impressed me with her contemporary dancer who accompanied her on stage and gave out some serious Kate Bush vibes while being soundtracked by CHELA’s glam pop electronica. CHELA greatly reminded me of Natasha Khan and her powerful female empowerment songs, CHELA had one of her own tonight that was about loneliness and “masterbation”. No wonder she was highly regarded and signed by a french label Kitsune with her single ‘Romanticise’. Kitsune were back in the day responsible for Crystal Fighters, La Roux and Klaxons – CHELA fits right in.

It was the time for the man of the hour – Enmore Theatre in Sydney was Mika’s third out of four shows of Oceania’s leg of ‘Revelation’ tour. To be honest My Name is Michael Holbrook is by far Mika’s most honest and boldest album, so it was not surprising to see a theme of the meanings of colours and human vices going on behind this tour.

‘Ice Cream'(2019) was a perfect opener to get Mika’s devoted old fans and younger new wave of fans in the mood for a glittery extravaganza of a mid-week pop show. Rambling on about colours and feelings Mika spoke very deeply about jealousy and how that was something that made him both take a break from music and get right back into it – as Mika himself described “Process of reconciliation and the guilt of responsibility”.

Green is the colour of jealousy” – Mika announced while standing bathed in green highlights against his perfectly tailored yellow suit – he burst into ‘Dear Jealousy’(2019). Continuing with his confessions and colour themes he informed the audience that : “While red is colour of love, pink in the colour of desire” which obviously was a hint to the opening cues of ‘Origin of Love’(2012)

Not surprisingly a highly regarded track off 2007’s Life In Cartoon Motion ‘Big Girls (You Are Beautiful)’ made the floor vibrate, while the crowd went insane. With such a diverse demographic at the show it was truly no doubt that punters were genuinely enjoying themselves. The amount of parents with kids and older crowd, who perhaps grew in tow with Mika’s musical journey prove that even after a hiatus or even after not visiting a certain country with a tour – fans remain loyal to those with raw musical talent, contagious smile and dance moves as well as an impeccable fashion taste.

‘Tiny Love’(2019) – sounds like an intense opera-like song which could almost match Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ crossed with anything off The Beatles’ Rubber Soul. It was a carefully calculated follow up with ‘Underwater’ which made the crowd sway and provide an absolutely beautiful singalong in preparation for the culmination of the show.

So before I came on stage, I was in my room for a break and I was struck with hunger, the kind of hunger that makes me eat anything I see…Vegemite? No, sorry…I bit my tongue and it was disgusting…but it was a rude awakening, but it put me back to my childhood and I just wanted to tell you this story that I bit my tongue….and I was bleeding and no one wants to kiss a boy with a bloody tongue” and the rambling turned into the opening of ‘Lollipop’ so smoothly, it could’ve been a spoken work song. I was stunned at Mika’s ability to get his fans on their highs and their lows with a mundane story of a bleeding tongue. With a Freddie Mercury-like puppeteer ability Mika made to make the whole venue silent and an acoustic/acapella version of ‘Happy Ending’(2007) was beautiful. Followed by a story about a woman who’s story “probably ended badly” and Mika’s personal reflections progressed into ‘Love Today’(2007). ‘We Are Golden’(2009) was an absolutely perfect closing track – so much energy, so much ferocity and a glitter drizzle on the crowd.

Costume change into a pink suit for the encore – Mika performed ‘Grace Kelly'(2007) and a different version of ‘Tiny Love'(2019) closed the show.

What a mid-week pick me up, I am sure whoever got work and school tomorrow will be buzzing and will be on their highest serotonin levels until the weekend 🙂

In comparison to Mika’s 2009 show at the same venue, this tour was less extravagant and with a smaller production, plus backing track instead of backing singers. However it didn’t change the energy Mika resonated the whole night. That energy is essentially what makes him an international pop sensation.

So worth going to see this show, even if you are not a die hard fan, go just for the sake of improving your mood for the rest of the week.

Mika-IMG_5456.thumb.jpg.d6ba86161cebbacc58becb22e2f1dfb2.jpg

Mika-IMG_5488.jpg

Mika-IMG_5546.jpg

Mika-IMG_5608.jpg

Mika-IMG_5628.jpg

Mika-IMG_5652.jpg

Mika-IMG_5712.jpg

Mika-IMG_5743.jpg

Mika-IMG_5754.jpg

Mika-IMG_5762.jpg

Mika-IMG_5764.jpg

Mika-IMG_5773.jpg

Mika-IMG_5788.jpg

Mika-IMG_5817.jpg

Mika-IMG_5830.jpg

Mika-IMG_6328.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

I bit my tongue

here's @NaoMika's video of that :teehee:

I can't hear him saying that no one wants to kiss a boy with a bloody tongue, just that he has a lisp because of it and is trying to hide it and that as a child he always bit his tongue - and the last sentence I don't understand... something with "and everyone laughed at me"? :dunno: Not sure. But I suppose he said the other things the journalist mentioned in their review before and after this videoclip.

• Like 3

PRESS

Amnplify.com.au

• 2020-03-01
MIKA 'Revelation Tour' @ The Enmore Theatre, NSW 26/02/2020 (Live Review)
  • Amelia Torresan

Theatrics and drama captivated the audience as Mika took to the stage, performing a serious monologue before literally jumping into his 2019 hit ‘Ice Cream.’ Mika set out to make up for his 10 year absence by demanding the attention of the crowd, having them essentially hypnotised as they watched the eccentric figure on the stage nor stop dancing on the dancefloor. “Dear Jealousy (2019)” and “Relax (Take it Easy) (2007)” were the next two songs, with the latter causing so much hype and elation within the crowd, the floor shook up and down as the crowd danced and jumped to the beat.

Mika then turned his attention to the topic of love. Performing some of his more romantic songs including “Origin of Love” (2012), “Platform Ballerinas” and “Tiny Love” (2019) and “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” (2007). It was a cute time for all in the room as they bopped from side to side basking in the ambiance of self love and acceptance. The opening riff for Mika’s ‘Underwater’ (2012) began, one of my personal favourites. The song is passionate with a haunting chorus melody that stimulates thoughts of Greek myths and legends. The lyrics and music are almost a complete contrast which keeps Mika’s love songs so interesting and allow them to stand out in the music world.

Paying tribute to his most recent album ‘My Name Is Michael Holbrook’ (2019), ‘Paloma’ and ‘Tomorrow’ were next on the setlist. When I first heard the song ‘Tomorrow’ I listened to the Italian version: ‘Domani’ and fell in love with it. Mika’s vocal range could be compared to that of Freddie Mercury, with his ability to clearly jump octaves in a single phrase. Upon doing more research, I discovered Mika was multilingual, being able to sing in not only in English and Italian, but also French. Talk about talent!
After a short story time about biting his tongue so hard it bled and gave him a lisp, Mika smoothly transitioned into a much loved classic from ‘Life in Cartoon Motion’ (2007), “Lollipop”. It had the entire crowd chanting ‘Say Love!” because love was not going to get them down tonight! There was no surprise appearance from Ariana Grande for the next song, which just so happens to be “Popular Song” (2012). As he sang to a crowd of misfits and weirdos, in that moment we all related to not being part of the “popular crowd” but we were all content with who we are today, because being popular in high school means nothing.
Speaking of high school, the next song on the setlist brought me back to simpler times where I performed it for my HSC and to this day have vivid memories of trying to hit the high notes while singing in the shower. “Happy Ending” was the first Mika song I had ever heard, thanks to the aforementioned ‘So Fresh’ CD. And as soon as the first few words were sung, I was already in tears.

Sometimes when you associate a song with certain memories and then you see the song live, you feel complete, like a full 360 has been done and your feelings and memories are valid. Mika allowed me to experience that through his performance of ‘Happy Ending’ with added impromptu a cappella ending. The raw emotion that was portrayed in the a cappella ending was just so overwhelming and had the power to silence the entire crowd (minus a couple of people ‘whooing’).

Now of course every show has a fake encore, so after a very lively and flamboyant performance of ‘Love Today’ (2007), a cheeky costume change into a pink suit signalled the beginning of the end (of the show). Of course, as I have mentioned so far, Mika loves his colours, so it was only fitting for the next song to be the one that mentions brown, blue, violet, purple and green: ‘Grace Kelly!’ Again, the entire floor of the Enmore Theatre shook beneath our feet with everyone jumping and dancing to a classic Mika song that brought out the theatrics inside each audience member.It was honestly such a high note to end the night on.

To sum up, I didn’t actually realise how many songs of Mika’s I subconsciously knew before I arrived at the concert, but all I know is that he really knows how to put on a show and entertain a crowd. His endless source of energy fueled by the crowd in turn fueled us right back. After one last song, Mika left the stage for the last time that night. Leaving the crowd with hope, love and glory and a very Happy Ending to their night.

Photo gallery

A7R05884_Amnplify-1.thumb.jpg.96ab28b06ff31cd031200098146e1871.jpg

A7R05660_Amnplify.jpg

A7R05666_Amnplify.jpg

A7R05688_Amnplify.jpg

A7R05776_Amnplify.jpg

A7R05776_Amnplify-2.jpg

A7R05780_Amnplify-2.jpg

A7R05801_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R05824_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R05833_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R05847_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R05904_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R05926_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R05961_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R06045_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R06066_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R06066_Amnplify-1-1.jpg

A7R06128_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R06250_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R06336_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R06346_Amnplify-1.jpg

A7R06354_Amnplify-1.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/27/2020 at 8:12 AM, Kumazzz said:

Happy Ending

I loved this moment! Also it took the crowd ages to shut up before his acapella thing, but I loved it and he did too - he loved the warm reception and the endless cheering for him and he was so touched, it was such a beautiful moment. The energy was so divine and seeing him react to it was so precious. And when he finally did open his mouth to sing one note, the crowd erupted again :lol3: :wub2:

• Like 1

Life Without Andy    (I love this site's name)  :teehee:

http://lifewithoutandy.com/featured/party-bulls**t/mika-enmore-theatre/

Photographer: Zoe Holling

Words by Jack Bennett  February 27, 2020

The legendary ‘Grace Kelly’ singer delivered a very generous dose of pop and glam-rock in Sydney last night.

Touring Australia for the first time in 11 years, Beirut-born English singer/songwriter MIKA brought his new album My Name Is Michael Holbrook down under alongside his rolodex of 2000s hits. Adoring fans lapped up the best of his new record, described by Billboard as his “boldest record yet”, but it was MIKA’s iconic golden oldies that have us seriously nursing our overworked vocal cords and dancing feet today. Check out the best of the action in the gallery above.

LWA-7-28.jpg

LWA-1-39.jpg

LWA-2-36.jpg

LWA-3-35.jpg

LWA-4-30.jpg

LWA-5-30.jpg

LWA-6-28.jpg

LWA-7-28.jpg

LWA-8-26.jpg

LWA-9-25.jpg

LWA-10-25.jpg

LWA-11-25.jpg