Mika's Incredible Cooking !

Kumazzz

Mika Live@Home April 30 2010

La Cuisine avec Mika

LIVE@HOME.thumb.png.a1a43c703a45589d7e0dc98c556e1d9a.png

On 5/5/2010 at 8:00 AM, LilStar said:

translation from the kitchen bit:teehee:

Mika: we're gonna eat something House. Let's go back... let's talk in the living room, im gonna get a tea.

*in the kitchen.. speaks english*

Mika: Thats how we boil pastas! Lesson number 1!

House: Bon appétit

Mika: Thank you.

House: are you as good in the kitchen as you are to write songs?

Mika: House, i know how to cook, not really good, but i try

House: Whats your favorite meal?

Mika: my favorite meal is fish soup.

a part of Mika at the kitchen

FULL version of UNPLUGGED session on VIMEO 50:56

This video's privacy is currently set to Only people with a password. ( mika )

339041915_295.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mika mentions cooking muffins in this interview.

🔻 MP3 file ( 14 min / 12.9 MB ) 2010.10.21 Tunisian interview ShemsFm(by phone).mp3

On 10/22/2010 at 5:51 AM, French Deb said:

1st part

Hi, this is Mika. Meet me on the 23rd of october at « La coupole » in Tunis, I’m waiting for this gig for months.

I : for the first time and in exclusivity, we are with Mika. Hi Mika !

M : Hi, how are you ?

I : very fine, thank you for being ok to answer our interview

M : it’s a pleasure, can’t wait to come here

I : we are waiting for you and very happy to welcome you. It’s really crazy here with the tickets sellings. So, we’re gonna have a chat so our listeners could know you better

Everybody knows that you are half American and half Lebanese…

M : exactly !

I : as you can guess, it’s the Lebanese part that interests us more !

M : of course !

I : How related to Lebanon are you ? Do you have family, memories…?

M : I was born in Beirut. But I think that even if we only have a small part of yourself Lebanese, this part is the most important of your family. For instance, I have Moroccan and Italian friends and even if they are half English or half American, the Italian or Arabic part is the most important. And it’s very true for me : when you come to my parents’ or to my place, it’s a Lebanese house. This is a great part of my life, of childhood. I’m very proud of that.

I : Even at your home, right now, you do have some Lebanese “touch” (objects…)

M : of course, there are still the coffee cups, still Rafa the family friend who can predict our fortune [or maybe he wanted to say luck...], there are paintings, carpets everywhere.

I : Mika, Tunisia isn’t the first Arabic country where you do a gig : there was Morocco, Jordania, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and of course Lebanon. Do you choose the countries where you play ?

M : Yes, it’s really me. For instance, this year, wed had the choice to do Baalbek in Lebanon even if I had biggest propositions. But Baalbek was important for me. I think we always should choose where you go. We did a gig in Rabat a few months ago. This gig was managed by the king and it was free and almost 40 000 people came, it was outside. It was an outstanding feeling and a great honor being there.

Can’t wait to go in Tunisia, I have a lot of Tunisian friends. I’m very happy

I : we are really waiting for you. Will we have some surprises for this Tunis gig ?

M : Well, if you don’t know my gig, there will be some surprises, but if you already saw it 10 000 times [can’t hear the number very well ! ] there won’t !

I : I do have a spy ! Her name is Leila, she’s a big fan of you and meet her several times

M : yes

I : and she told us that some people will be lucky enough to get on stage with you. So I tell it, there will be huge surprises and you’re very close to your fans

M : I like to pick fans and people from the audience to get on stage and to dance with us. For instance on Big Girl we have the outfits… [ then he explains the funeral march and the Mexican carnival thing] All this create craziness !

I : that’s why your shows are unique because the audience isn’t the same from a country to another

M : exactly ! it’s always different! For instance for this tour, we look for people to dance on stage so if you want to dance on stage, come quite early then, there will be my sister and someone from the production who will go out to pick people

I : Are there only BG ?

M : no, we are looking for many kind of people because we have many different outfits, with men or women. We started that on the US, and some men did breakdancing on stage [never heard about that !!], then we went to Japan, and it was so difficult to find people to dance on stage and when they danced on stage, they didn’t move except their head!

I : you’ll see how the Tunisian will be entertaining !

M : I hope so!

On 10/22/2010 at 6:20 AM, French Deb said:

2nd part :

I : Now we’ll talk about your artistic world. You really created your own style and your own world so kudos for that! Especially in the music industry today. You “fight” against the major companies who wanted you to sing differently, like Craig David. You must be very proud of you, right, for becoming the star you are today?

M : don’t know, I don’t feel particularly proud. I always thinks about a lot of questions, that gave me energy. I’m never satisfied with what I do cause I always want to invent again myself. Now that I’m working on my 3rd album, that gives me the perfect opportunity to reinvent what I do and to add something new in my visual and world. You never should think of what you did being proud but you should learn about it and use these lessons to keep going on

I : Yes, but you had a uneasy adolescence, and you managed to establish your own style. It’s a big deal! And it’s a nice example for the young people who are suffering or dealing with themselves.

M : yes, it’s true. I used the feelings I felt (being apart at school…) and I used this energy to show the world I could do something. I made some films in my head, when I had troubles at school, in the street, I had some great illusions in my head. It could have been a disaster but thanks God, I was lucky and today I’m fine.

I : that’s great

M : I closed my eyes and I always dreamed ! I think I’m very lucky to do what I like today.

I : Next question. You often talk about a 10 years career. You don’t picture yourself singing at 50 like the Rolling Stones ?

M : don’t know. I like to think that I won’t wear the same things at 50, I won’t sing the same songs the same way I do now, I’d like to invent because it would be ridiculous a 50 or 60 years old man wearing coloring pants and braces and singing Lollipop! And honestly, it would be even disgusting/filthy. I must confess, you have to change !

I : maybe you will sing some ballads, really calm songs

M : oh no, not at all ! It wouldn’t be calm but insane ! But no ballads !

I: Talk to me about Melachi, your dog. I think her name is related to Arabic

M : it’s my great grand-mother’s name. The dog is very nice and very quiet ! very wise ! It’s funny because people from family or friends don’t like to touch her. I don’t know why, they don’t like dogs in the house, so it’s nice because she is not too much spoiled. So she is wise and always stays with me.

I : do you know a few words in Arabic ? We would like to hear you!

M: I’m terrible. I try, but when I tried in Jordania or Lebanon, everybody laughed at me

I : just say “hello”, something easy.

M :….

[ Then they talk about Arabic singers and the girl ask him if it’s something that touch him. He says they are childhood memories and some of them are ones of the greater voices of the world. ]

On 10/22/2010 at 6:44 AM, French Deb said:

Here is the last part :

I : You work at home with your family, your friends. It’s like a wonderland !

M : no, it’s a world with many arguments, many troubles! When we work with family, everyone thinks it’s very cute, that we are always together working during a minute and cooking some muffins during another… but we work late.

I : who is the referee when there is a problem ?

M : he is the one who has more energy to scream. The one who can’t scream anymore looses!

I : we have a small “Proust questionnaire” to end with. Your favorite word ? Lollipop?

M : onomatopoeia

I : the word you hate ?

M . salopettes [in French it’s quite a fun word!] (= dungarees)

I : the job you could never have done?

M : plumber, I hate water!

I : your main defect ?

M : Hmmm

I : oh apparently, there are a lot of defects and you have to choose one!

M : yes, there are! I’m impatient

I : and your main quality ?

M : I’m impatient!

I : your favorite hero/heroine ?

M : Snoopy

I : Snoopy, are you serious ?

M : Yes! He is zen and mature, but he’s a dog so he can’t have many material qualities. He’s like a Buddhist. In fact, he is very complicated Snoopy!

I : Wow, all that in Snoopy!

M : yes, it’s deep!

I : thank you so much. I have a couple of things to tell you : “you are golden”, really. And you know, we are all with you, we thought a lot about you these past days. And we are waiting for you, we’ll give you a lot of love next Saturday I hope.

M : Thank you. Actually, my sister had a big accident a week ago…

I :… yes, that’s why I’m telling you that…

M : and I’m very happy she is stable enough and that she makes enough progress that we could do this gig. We nearly canceled it and we are very happy that we don’t have to cancel. It’s a pleasure cause that’s means that we can actually do the gig and that she is in a state good enough that I can do it, so it’s very positive.

I: That’s why I said that. Many people have prayed here for Paloma and we were really sad. It’s a very good news that you are saying to us right now.

M : thanks a lot

I : thanks you very much, I’d like to meet you on Saturday. See you soon

M : See you, bye.

Mika mentions tomato sauce in this interview.

On 6/22/2012 at 8:43 AM, Christine said:

Here's a transcript that should be easier to translate:

I: Hello who are you?

M: I'm Mika.

I: Hi Mika, nice to meet you.

M: Nice to meet you too.

I: Hello, so how's your day been?

M: It's like a date.

I: How exciting. Tell me 3 things about you.

M: Um, I can cook good tomato sauce, I have a dog and I'm pretty obsessive compulsive. I wash my hands a lot. A lot!

I: Well good to know, good to know. So have you been on many dates at the moment?

M: Not, no, actually not at the moment, not as many. I don't need to at the moment, let's put it that way.

I: Ah, okay, you're currently seeing someone?

M: Yes.

I: Oh, okay, do we know this person or is it a mystery?

M: No, uh. It's discreet. Which is, as always, if you ever want to have a relationship the more discreet you keep it (in my world?) the more chance you have of having it last.

I: And how long have you been seeing this person for?

M: Uh, awhile.

I: Tell us more, go on.

M: Awhile now, awhile. A lot of the record is the result of all that.

I: Does this person have a name? Don't want surnames.

M: No not yet, not yet. It wouldn't be fair.

I: It's not Dita, is it?

M: No, it's not Dita. It's far from Dita. Dita's...no.

I: You went out with Dita last night. How was that?

M: It was fun. I did, I went um on...well I have got this little kind of like old banger from the 1960s. It's an Austin Healey and I never drive it around because it's always raining and unfortunately because it's not a very high end vintage car it kind of stops running when the rain goes. We were driving around London and then when we came out we were kind of swamped and surrounded. The only thing I could think of when I was sitting in the car trying to get the car to start was if this car doesn't actually start and I'm stuck with Dita von Teese in a convertible - minute little Morris Minor convertible - it would probably be quite an embarrassing pap moment. It's cool. You know who doesn't want to go pick up Dita von Teese in the middle of Soho in a little red car? It's kind of perfect.

I: Indeed. Did you play her any of your music?

M: Yeah, we may be cooking something up together for one of the songs actually, so that's what we were kind of figuring out.

I: So saying that, percentagewise, how complete is the album?

M: The album is about 90% there now.

I: Oh, so can I audition for it?

M: You wanna be the last 10%? Uh yeah, you're welcome to. What can you do?

I: So tell us a little bit about the album.

M: The album is called The Origin of Love and it all started in Montreal and it's quite a collaborative record between me and Nick Littlemore from Empire of the Sun, who I started the album with. It's extremely joyful. It's kind of love songs that - like non traditional love songs. It's an alternative pop record fundamentally and it's full of joy and it's very honest. My heart is very much on my sleeve in this record and some of it is really exciting to me. I mean I kind of feel like I've got an album that I'm really proud of. Believe it or not that's a really...it doesn't happen that often where you actually sit there and you're like you know what some of this stuff is really stuff that I would hold up and just say "this is what I've done". I just want people to hear it, more than anything.

I: So in mood and tempo does it vary from the previous two albums?

M: It does vary. I mean it's so obviously still me but it's definitely an evolution. I had a couple of things that were very much at the forefront and I wanted to write a record that was joyful, that was mature at the same time. I wanted a record that had a certain lightness of touch in its production so that everything from Celebrate, for example, to the title track The Origin of Love has this kind of...it's pop, it's joyful, but it's not kind of like, it's not as frenetic or as hyperactive or attention seeking. Even though it's very, kind of, catchy, it's still got a lot going on. It just has this lightness to it which I really love, sonically. I think Nick helped me find that.

I: So in that process as well you got involved with Madonna on Gang Bang. How did that come about?

M: I was working with Priscilla Renea who is a co-writer of mine and we wrote this song called Bang Bang and it was full of all the statements that my grandfather used to say like, you know, "like a fish out of water", "like a bat out of hell". Things like "you may think it's you that I like the most but I'm just keeping my enemies close". These are all things that my granddad used to say. He was this kind of burly Arab guy who lived in New York. She, Madonna, heard the song because William Orbit presented it to her and I didn't know. As far as I was concerned it was just a song I was writing for myself. And then Madonna liked it and she recorded her version and in the end she adapted it. I was never in the studio with Madonna. The song got changed, I think, countless times and in the end it was called Gang Bang. Probably because there were so many people that worked on it and um it's kind of cool. I think it's probably - it's my favourite thing off that last record. It's kind of grown up in a weird sort of way. It's kind of, it's got this bitterness about it which is kind of cool to hear her (?)

I: Did you hear the finished product when we heard it or did she send it to you?

M: I heard the finished product along with everybody else. I wasn't...

I: She wasn't asking for your opinion?

M: She certainly wasn't asking for my opinion. I don't think she was interested.

I: So going back to your debut album, a lot has changed musically since 2007. How do you feel you've changed as a person?

M: I think I, I mean, I've changed tons. When I first put out my record I was in my early 20s. It was a record that was developed while I was at school at music college in London. And ever since then I've been on the road. I've been writing more songs. I've been becoming - I got my first job when I was 10 because I was kicked out of school and I started working in classical music. Really I've been working since I was 10 but at the same time I'd never been working as an artist writing my own material. Finally I've been doing that now for 5 years. And yeah, I've changed a lot. I've kind of, I've found a way to be happy and fundamentally that's the most important thing when you're a musician. You kind of just want to do things that make you happy.

I: A few times in the past the press have asked you about your sexuality and you said you didn't believe in labels. Did that have anything to do with being unhappy? Do you feel that now that you're happy you...?

M: Well that's actually a really good way to put it. I mean I have this really kind of strong opinion about when you have, when there's a young artist that the press are chasing. Especially the sort of hardcore press, chasing about labels or getting someone to come out or something like that. And really it has to be... each individual is completely different. It's about your terms, it's about being comfortable in yourself, it's about blooming. And then once you're really happy, isn't that when you want to make those decisions about being more open in your private life? I certainly am much more happy and I feel like I've afforded myself a lot of privacy and a lot of discretion over the past 5 years of my life. I guess now, much more than ever before, I'm in a far more comfortable place to be a little bit more open about my private life. I write about it now in my songs. The album's called The Origin of Love and The Origin of Love as a song, it deals with a lot of my perspective on love, on joy, on sexuality, on the politics of sexuality, on even my relationship growing up in a Roman Catholic household. So yeah, I think that that is a much healthier way to approach the topic of sexuality when it comes to an artist. Deal with it when someone's happy.

I: When you played me the album last time you said that some songs had leaked. What do you think of music piracy?

M: My thoughts on music piracy... listen I think there's a balance. Firstly, I used to steal a lot more music than I do now. Now I kind of don't steal anything. I stream a lot of stuff off Youtube, like everybody. I kind of listen to a lot of stuff off Spotify. Inevitably I think me, like anybody else, I'll buy something once I connect with something. I think the days where you buy something outright before you have a chance to connect with it are kind of over. It's unrealistic for anyone to think that that's gonna happen. There's so much music, there's so much content nowadays that I just think that getting people to hear your music is the most important thing at the beginning of a project. Of course if someone likes one song, great. If they like two songs, great. If they like a little bit more than that, why not buy the record? That's kind of how I see it. Or even if not buy the record, then come to see a show. But definitely respect the process that goes in to making music. And I think that piracy as a kind of outright lifestyle - like just kind of stealing all your TV shows, stealing all your music, kind of doesn't make sense. You don't really get anything back. You know, you want to buy that ticket to go see somebody. You want to be part of someone's process and career legitimately. So I think there's definitely... to say that you have to pay for every single time that you discover music or to say that an advert should be placed in front of every single song when you hear it online is ludicrous. It's just like, for real? It just doesn't work like that.

I: So apart from your music whose music should we buy this year?

M: Uh, whose record should you buy this year? Um...

I: It's fine, you can tweet it at us.

M: You should buy my record this year.

On 6/22/2012 at 9:56 AM, crazyaboutmika said:

I just finished translating it in French

I might edit it as I have the transcript now , but tomorrow I guess because it's getting late :wink2:

Thanks a lot Christine :huglove:

I did miss a few things

Voix: Bonjour , qui êtes vous?

Mika: Bonjour, je suis Mika.

Voix: Ravi de vous rencontrer.

Mika: Moi aussi.

Voix: Dites moi trois choses sur vous?

Mika: Je fais une délicieuse sauce tomate. J'ai un chien. Et je suis un peu omnubilé par le lavage de mes mains...

Voix: Vous avez beaucoup de rendez vous amoureux en ce moment?

Mika: Non, je n'en ai pas besoin en ce moment (grand sourire)

Voix: D'accord, alors vous sortez avec quelqu'un?

Mika: Oui (grand sourire)

Voix: On peut savoir qui où c'est un mystère?

Mika: Non, cela reste discret pour le moment. Comme toujours quand on veut qu'une relation fonctionne bien, il vaut mieux rester discret pour que ça dure.

Voix: ça fait longtemps?

Mika: (immense sourire) Un moment, ça fait un moment.Une grande partie de l'album résulte de tout ça.

Voix: Un nom? Vous ne voulez pas donner de nom?

Mika: (hyper souriant ) Non, pas encore. ça ne serait pas juste .

Voix: Ce n'est pas Dita, n'est ce pas?

Mika (rieur) Non, ce n'est pas Dita. (Mika rit) C'est loin d'être Dita)

Voix: Mais vous êtes sorti avec Dita hier soir?

Mika: Oui, on s'est bien amusés. On a pris ma vieille décapotable de collection (que je ne prends jamais d'habitude parce qu'il pleut tout le temps) et elle tombe en panne quand il pleut et je me suis dit si je me retrouve en panne avec Dita Von Teese dans ma décapotable, ça va être un moment très délicat . Mais qui ne rêve pas d'aller chercher Dita Von Teese dans un voiture rouge décapotable? C'est un moment parfait.

Voix: Vous lui avez fait écouter vos chansons?

Mika: Oui, il y a de fortes chance qu'elle collabore à l'une de mes chansons, c'est pour ça qu'on s'est vus.

Voix: Quel est le pourcentage de l'album qui est fini?

Mika: 90 pour cent.

Voix: Je peux encore faire une audition pour y participer alors?

Mika: Vous voulez faire les 10 pour cents restants? (rieur) Bien sûr. Vous savez faire quoi?

Voix: Dites moi, on parle un peu de l'album?

Mika: L'album s'appelle "The Origin Of Love"? Tout a commencé à Montréal et c'est un album avec beaucoup de collaborations notamment avec Nick Littlemore avec qui je l'ai commencé. Il se compose de chansons d'amour non traditionelles /conventionnelles, c'est fondamentalement un album de pop alternative . C'est un album rempli de joie, très honnête, j'ai laissé voir mes sentiments. Je me sens vraiment fier de cet album et je suis heureux du résultat ce qui n'est pas toujours le cas. Mais là, j'ai hâte de le partager.

Voix: Il est different des albums précédents?

Mika: Oui, il est très different. C'est tellement évident que c'est toujours moi , mais il y a une évolution. Ce que je voulais en priorité, c'était écrire un album joyeux, et plus mature en même temps , un disque plus léger au niveau de la production donc de Celebrate à The Origin Of Love qui donne son titre à l'album , c'est de la pop joyeuse mais sans être trop ostentatoire tout en restant en tête , légère et pleine de vie . Je voulais une sonorité légère pour mes chansons. Nick m'a aidé à trouver cela.

Voix: Vous avez travaillé sur Gang Bang de Madonna. ça s'est passé comment?

Mika: C'est Priscilla Rene , une de mes coauteurs , on a écrit cette chanson appellée Bang Bang qui est pleine de ses phrases que mon grand père disait comme par exemple, comme un poisson hors de l'eau , comme une chauve souris hors de l'enfer , ce genre de choses, ou encore vous pensez peut -être que c'est vous que j'aime le mieux , mais j'aime garder mes ennemis près de moi. Mon grand père disait vraiment ces choses là, il vivait à New York (deux mots de description du grand père que je ne comprends pas )

Madonna a entendu la chanson (mais je ne le savais pas) Je l'écrivais pour moi cette chanson. Elle a plu à Madonna qui a enregistré sa version, ensuite elle l'a adaptée, je n'ai jamais été en studio avec Madonna , la chanson a connu plein de changements , même le nom a changé , de Bang Bang, c'est devenu Gang Band (sans doute parce qu'il y a eu tellement de personnes qui ont travaillé dessus (rire de Mika) . Elle est assez cool, c'est ma préférée dans le dernier CD de Madonna . Elle a évolué d'une manière curieuse. Il y a de l'amertume dans cette chanson. Elle est assez cool à écouter.

Voix: Quand avez vous entendu la version finale?

Mika: Comme tout le monde quand elle est sortie, on ne m'a pas demandé mon avis, ça n'interessait pas Madonna (rires de Mika)

Voix: On revient sur ton premier album, vous avez beaucoup a changé depuis 2007 musicalement parlant. Et en tant que personne?

Mika: Je pense , je veux dire j'ai changé énormément (rires de Mika) Pour mon premier album j'étais encore proche de l'âge de vingt ans , j'y avais travaillé à l'école et aussi au College de musique de Londres . Depuis, j'ai passé beaucoup de temps sur la route et j'ai écrit beaucoup de chansons . J'ai eu mon premier travail à l'âge de dix ans parce que je m'étais fait virer de mon école et j'ai commencé à travailler dans la musique classique. J'ai donc commencé à travailler à dix ans, mais cela fait seulement cinq ans maintenant que j'écris des chansons . oui j'ai beaucoup changé , je trouve que j'ai trouvé une manière d'être heureux et fondamentalemnt c'est la chose la plus importante pour un musicien, on veut créer des choses qui vous rendent heureux .

Voix: A plusieurs reprises dans le passé la presse vous a posé des questions sur votre sexualité et vous avez dit que vous ne croyez pas aux étiquettes , est-ce que ça a quelque chose à voir avec cette aptitude au bonheur que vous avez développé? Vous êtes heureux.

Mika: C'est une jolie manière d'en parler . Mon conviction très forte est que en tant que jeune artiste , la presse met la pression et cherche à outer quequ'un par exemple, il faut savoir que chaque individu est different , l'important c'est d'être bien en accord avec soi même , mais c'est quand le coeur s'épanouit, quand on est vraiment bien avec quelqu'un, là c'est peut être le bon moment pour prendre une décision , vous savez de communiquer davantage sur votre vie privée . Il est certain que je me sens beaucoup plus heureux et je me suis offert beaucoup de discrétion les cinq dernières années de ma vie, je suis maintenant beaucoup plus à l'aise qu'auparavant , je peux peut-être me permettre d'être plus ouvert au sujet de ma vie privée . J'en parle dans les chansons de mon nouvel album. Il y a une chansons dans "The Origin Of Love" qui parle de ma vie, de mes perspectives , de l'amour, de la joie, de la sexualité, de la politique concernant la sexualité . Et le fait de grandir dans une famille catholique . C'est une façon plus saine de parler de sexualité pour un artiste. Faites avec quand quelqu'un est heureux.

Voix: Il y a eu une fuite pour une de vos chansons. Et le piratage des chansons alors?

Mika: Je crois que ça s'équilibre. Au début , je volais beaucoup plus de musique que maintenant. Maintenant je ne vole plus rien . J'écoute beaucoup de musique en streaing sur youtube comme tout le monde en strealing et je l'écoute aussi sur spotify. Mais inévitablement , chacun a besoin d'avoir un contact avec la musique avant de l'acheter , moi le premier . Le temps ou les personnes achetaient un CD sans l'avoir d'abord écouté en ligne est révolu . Ce serait irréaliste de penser autrement. Il y a tellement de musique, de contenu de nos jours . Le plus important , c'est que les gens écoutent votre musique dès le début du projet. c'est super si les gens aiment une chanson , s'ils en aiment deux ou plus pourquoi ils n'achéteraient pas le CD ou pourquoi ils n'iraient pas à des concerts? C'est mon point de vue. Cela fait partie du processus. La piraterie totale n'a pas de sens. Si on apprécie l'artiste, on veut participer à sa carrière et assister à ses concerts de façon legitime. Et non pas pirater. Donc je pense qu'on ne peut pas obliger les gens à payer à chaque fois , il faut un temps pour découvrir la musique, il ne devrait pas non plus y avoir une publicité en face de chaque chanson quand on l'écoute en ligne, c'est impossible, ça ne peut pas fonctionner comme ça.

Voix: Et quels CD devrions nous acheter cette année? (à part le vôtre )

Mika: (rire) Quel CD cette année Je ne sais pas.

Voix: Tant pis, ça ne fait rien.

Mika : Just le mien alors .

• Like 1

Mika cooking lamb al asador

Mika tweets

"I decided the lamb pic was too brutal even for a non vegetarian. Especially next to the pic of my dog on Instagram..."

• Like 1

Mika cooking Grandma Suzanne’s stuffed tomatoes

https://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.fr/gastronomie/

:france:

Le chanteur Mika cuisine Anne-Sophie Pic

On le savait déjà, Mika est un très grand chanteur. 

On le sait peut-être moins, mais le juré de The Voice aime passer du temps derrière les fourneaux. 

La preuve, avec ce cliché publié sur son compte Instagram.

Ce qu'il mjote ?

Des "tomates farcies de mamie Suzanne" issues du livre de recettes d'Anne-Sophie Pic. Miam !

:uk:

The singer Mika cooks Anne-Sophie Pic

We already knew, Mika is a very great singer.

We may know less, but the juror of The Voice likes to spend time behind the stove.

The proof, with this snapshot published on his Instagram account.

What is he up to?

"Tomatoes stuffed with granny Suzanne" from Anne-Sophie Pic's cookbook. Yum !

Here is the recipe by Anne-Sophie Pic's

ft.com

Anne-Sophie Pic’s favourite childhood recipes

Anne-Sophie Pic
April 3 2015
index.png.498678f551719ba89ed6cefcb04e4e56.png

Cooking is a process of passing on experience and knowledge: childhood memories and family occasions centred around food are enormously important. And contrary to popular belief, children will appreciate sophisticated food, as long as they are used to tasting unfamiliar things. I hope these recipes will tempt you to try more complex combinations, with spices, herbs, unusual vegetables and lots of different ingredients.

Grandma Suzanne’s stuffed tomatoes

This is my mother’s recipe, and I have always loved it. The secret lies in using good, firm tomatoes and a richly flavoured stuffing made with lamb, mushrooms and herbs but no bread.

For 4
Preparation time: 40 min
Cooking time: 30 min

1. The stuffing. Preheat the oven to 180C. Peel and finely slice the shallot. Trim the mushrooms, if necessary, then dice them very finely. Melt the butter in a large pan over a gentle heat, add the shallot and mushrooms and sweat slowly for 2-3 minutes without letting them colour, stirring often. Take off the heat and leave to cool. Mince the lamb, if necessary — in a mincer or with a knife — then add to the pan, along with the ham, garlic, parsley, Parmesan and egg. Mix well and season.
  2. Cooking the stuffed tomatoes. Using a serrated knife (this will make it easier), cut off the top of the tomatoes, then scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes, then place them upside down on a wire rack and leave to sweat for about 15 minutes. Use a tablespoon to fill the tomatoes generously with the stuffing, replace their tops, then place on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot, perhaps with plain white rice.

Tip: It is important to allow time for the tomatoes to sweat — this draws out some of their liquid, so they don’t go too soft in the oven and collapse.

francetoday.com

Interview with Chef Anne-Sophie Pic, Queen of French Cuisine

stuffed-tomatoes.thumb.jpg.f79d3ae8e52caecf0d9636c3f1dc7d37.jpg

RECIPES

Grandma Suzanne’s Stuffed Tomatoes

For 4 | Preparation time: 40 min | Cooking time: 30 min

This is my mother’s recipe, and I have always loved it. The secret lies in using good, firm tomatoes and a richly flavoured stuffing made with lamb, mushrooms and herbs, but no bread.

Equipment

mincer (optional)

Ingredients

The stuffing

• 1 shallot
  • 4 large white button mushrooms
  • knob of butter
  • 250g/8 1/2 oz lamb shoulder or minced (ground) lamb
  • 100g/3 1/2 oz ham, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
  • 20g/ 3/4 oz grated Parmesan
  • 1 egg
  • pinch of fine salt
  • freshly ground pepper

The tomatoes

• 4 large firm tomatoes
  • pinch of fine salt
  • splash of olive oil

The stuffing:

Preheat the oven to 180°c (350°F, Gas Mark 4). peel and finely slice the shallot. Trim the mushrooms, if necessary, then cut into very small dice. Melt the butter in a large pan over a gentle heat, add the shallot and mushrooms and sweat slowly for 2-3 minutes without letting them colour, stirring often. Take off the heat and leave to cool. Mince the lamb, if necessary – in a mincer or with a knife – then add to the pan, along with the ham, garlic, parsley, parmesan and egg. Mix well and season.

Cooking the stuffed tomatoes:

Using a serrated knife (this will make it easier), cut off the top of the tomatoes, then scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes, then place them upside down on a wire rack and leave to sweat for 15 minutes. Use a tablespoon to fill the tomatoes generously with the stuffing, replace their tops, then place on an oiled baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot, perhaps with plain white rice.

Tip: It is important to allow time for the tomatoes to sweat – this draws out some of their liquid, so they don’t go too soft in the oven and collapse.

Mika mentions cooking in this interview

Nous Deux

• September 8 to 14, 2015

Dans Chez moi, je vis une pièce : la cuisine !

( In My home, I live in a room: the kitchen ! )

How does Mika live when he's not on a stage? Do you take a long time to dress up to be elegant?

Mika: He cooks too much and badly, but he's always cooking. He doesn't talk about himself using "he" [laughs] I take my dogs out.
I love driving but I'm a very bad driver. I live in the center of London, in a rather big house where I'm alone most of the time. I live in the kitchen! And I wear white t-shirts, jeans and Converses. That's how I live...

21058207769_7dfa4bd38f_o.thumb.png.a6d775b404512a6100fff382d587200d.png

:uk:

Thanks again @crazyaboutmika

On 9/10/2015 at 5:09 AM, crazyaboutmika said:

Translation into English: 

Mika
 His love 
His projects
 The Voice
 Mika The 32 years old most sparkling judge in The Voice is releasing a fourth album that energizes September. His commitments as a citizen , his life with his companion, his passion for singing , Mika tells us everything. In a smile.
 At home, I live mostly in one room: the kitchen! 
Mika Holbrook Penniman aka Mika, Lebanese and British and fluent French speaker , has been giving colors to pop music since ten years. But behind his contagious enthousiam and his making the show all the time, Mika asserts himself as an artist and a citizen who has a deep reflection about society around him. His fourth album, No Place in Heaven, is similar to him, sparkling!
 Nous Deux: Isn't this album , No Place in Heaven the one of a more mature man? 
Mika: Yes, but in my own way...with this fourth album, I find again a lightness, a transparency. A more responsible maturity , meanwhile keeping the ability to marvel at life to keep being inspired. One has to have at the same time a light heart and a serious head. Both can and must live together!
 Nous Deux: The sound of this album is clearly a reference to the pop of the seventies, isn't it?
 Mika: Yes, we are in intimate pop, a very human pop! I don't want to be smooth. Which is not common nowadays...It's in the spirit of the singers-composers pop of the sixties and the seventees. I was influenced by that spirit which for me represents the best time period for singers-composers, the most credible, the most sincere, the less dirty.
 Nous Deux: What do you mean by "less dirty"? 
Mika: I mean that after the seventees, it was so easy to become a commercial item, to get lost within a team of fiffty people in which the artist doesn't write his own songs anymore. 
Nous Deux: The single Last Party evokes Freddie Mercury. Do you feel you are an heir of this flamboyant pop that Elton John made popular as well?
 Mika: Not really...I don't look back. I always dared to make a record my own way, without thinking too much about the consequences. One can get involved with a touch of softness, talk about important things in a light manner which doesn't betray credibility. But as far as inheritance goes, something else does unite the three of us together: the influence of classical music and the sense of the show!
 Nous Deux: In Good Guys, you mention James Dean, David Bowie and Jean Cocteau? Why did you pay a tribute to those gay icons?
 Mika: I pay a tribute to them with a lot of respect,and I think it's rather unusual for non conformist heroes. This song touches the heart of many people , and the heart of American press for example. It's more a tribute to difference less specifically to sģexuality. Sexuality by itself , without the circumstances, that's not very interesting.
 Nous Deux: Is it becoming tiresome or are you proud to be presented as a gay icon?
 Mika: It doesn't bother me, but I don't identify myself as such. And when I see who my fans are, it really isn't that important....If someone is interested in that theme, they can pick what they want in my universe, so it is positive. But today we are far from sexuality being a scoop; many people suffered for us and before us. 
Nous Deux: Paparazzis are after your couple. Is it a drawback of celebrity that is hard to accept?
 Mika: When I'm alone people don't care. When we are outside as a couple, of course it is different. But I live with someone who is so normal, who walks around in shorts and Converses all year long. There's nothing extraordinary to shoot. In Italy we got followed by three boats. They waste so much time and money on photos that are not really interesting. ... 
Nous Deux: So your life is not continually a show?
 Mika: There isn't any show whatsoever. All this circus can be irritating, but there are many advantages. celebrity opens doors which is a huge proviledge. The biggest is that people come and talk to me easily, whoever they are. Such human contacts are rewards that erase all the little constraints.

Nous Deux: How does Mika live when he's not on a stage? Do you take a long time to dress up to be elegant?

Mika:He cooks too much and badly, but he's always cooking. He doesn't talk about himself using "he" [laughs] I take my dogs out. I love driving but I'm a very bad driver. I live in the center of London, in a rather big house where I'm alone most of the time. I live in the kitchen! And I wear white t-shirts, jeans and Converses. That's how I live.

Nous Deux: Is your success a way to take your revenge on those who humiliated you when you were young?
 Mika: No, not a revenge. Because I don't have an ounce of respect for those people who hurt me in difficult periods, as during adolescence. To take a revenge on them would be giving them value, which I don't want. When you are 14 or 18 you can truly get out of it, but you never forget. You can forget the precise words those people said, but you will never forget what they did. It's not a weight on my shoulders but I don't want to erase what I have had to cope with. 
Nous Deux: Aren't you afraid that your artist status cuts you from the rest of the world? 
Mika: No, emotional ignorance is a delicious thing, but it is not excusable to ignore society nor politics....you have to surround yourself with people who are more intelligent so you learn from them, it allows one to understand the world better. I write for the daily newspaper Corriere Della Serra about issues such as aids or migrants...Reactions can sometimes be strong as about the Vatican for exemple.
 Nous Deux: Are you a commited artist?
 Mika: I'm only a normal person who looks at the world, who has his opinion, and who expresses it, as anyone who would be queing at their butcher's. This idea of debating is something I'm totally enthousiastic about, it's fun and it fills up life without much cost.
Interview by Louis Preiss.
 Judge and coach in The Voice since 2014, when he replaced Louis Bertignac, Mika managed to find his place. His pop elegance brought a lot to the third season, which was in fact won by Kendji Girac. If this fourth season was he admits leaves him :"A bit disapointed, however he could sing for the first time during those shows his latest singles, Talk About You and Good Guys. He doesn't exclude to do the next season, he "likes this exercice". The only problem being, his program is already very full for the next month: a world tour, XFactor TV show in Italy, a staging project in England and dub voicing for a long cartoon. In 2016 he will also play a small part in a movie by Ben Stiller with Justin Bieber among others , Zoolander 2.

21057017310_8a3a9fd9a2_o.thumb.png.10f9b8eec24ba2160b7b73b5f3891772.png

21234632822_1e5a0213bd_o.thumb.png.5db380b17fbf3425766f7c4ab7d15559.png

21056986390_d35cb500f2_o.thumb.png.54d09c6961a156ac74bd17f94131fd8a.png21058207769_7dfa4bd38f_o.thumb.png.8b9ecd7dad7dec25e1aa0855a95bd3b3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

1 September 2014

mikainstagram

"Cooking"

Apparently, Mika cooks

Roasted Pumpkin soup, Tabbouleh ( Lebanese salad ) and more... for the dinner.

10601812_321068298070527_813650370_n.thumb.jpg.fd015bce5f285f49f9b2995c747acbd5.jpg

• Like 1

Cooking with Mika : Episode 3

Hello everyone!

It has been a couple weeks since I last did this but it feels like a good time to hang out, listen to music and maybe even do some cooking together.

Live from my kitchen in Athens Greece. Be sure to tune in. It’s a Sunday lunch this time so if it’s too early for those on the other side of the planet... fear not it will be avail on insta stories for 24hours!

I can’t wait to see you all again!!

Crazy times. Xx

👉🏽🚨

11:00 UK :uk: TIME

12:00 France Italy Spain :france::italia::spain: TIME!!

EWY2oM_WoAADqe7.thumb.jpg.c174e9430c762dc6df08a8acd1bec0f9.jpg

• Like 2