Mika Returns to X Factor Italia in 2020

2 minutes ago, krysady said:

Oh yeah, as if the lexicon is easy :aah: But yes, It's clearly hard work, I have no doubts :original: ( and we're off topic, probably we need a separate thread for this subject :wink2: )

I thought the same, when need soon a new thread. :lol3:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

And in German it is "Achterbahn", so literally a coaster that makes eights.

And in Russian they are not called "Russian mountains" (literally translation of "montagne russe") but "American mountains" if I remember it right.

So we had a small linguistic digression today. :original:

You do remember it right ;) I still have no idea what is the connection between Russia and roller coaster as long as roller coaster was invented in United States.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mousetrap said:

You do remember it right ;) I still have no idea what is the connection between Russia and roller coaster as long as roller coaster was invented in United States.

Thanks for confirming. :thumb_yello:

Maybe you have some places where it is very flat and some places where there are mountains, so you go up and down? Only a presumption as I don't know very well Russia, sorry for that.

2 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Thanks for confirming. :thumb_yello:

Maybe you have some places where it is very flat and some places where there are mountains, so you go up and down? Only a presumption as I don't know very well Russia, sorry for that.

Well yes we have, but many countries have the same landscape :) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mousetrap said:

Well, it seems they were invented in Russia for the first time, in Sankt Petersburg :wink2:

"Le concept de « montagnes russes » provient des courses de luges se déroulant sur des collines de neige spécialement aménagées pour celles-ci, particulièrement dans les environs de Saint-Pétersbourg. À la fin des années 1700, leur popularité fut telle que des entrepreneurs commencèrent à développer cette idée dans d’autres pays que la Russie, en utilisant cette fois des voitures munies de roues solidaires d’une voie. En 1812, la compagnie Les Montagnes russes construisit et géra celles du quartier Belleville dans Paris."  - https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/montagnes_russes

Translation:

"The concept of a "roller coaster" comes from the toboggan races taking place on specially designed snow hills, particularly in the vicinity of Saint Petersburg. By the end of the 1700s, their popularity was such high that entrepreneurs began to develop the idea in countries other than Russia, this time using cars with wheels attached to one track. In 1812, the company Les Montagnes russes built and managed those in the Belleville district in Paris."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I love this, this is why I want to learn more languages ❤️

If you want to learn more languages, in  Spanish is "Montaña rusa" and in my mother tongue, catalan "Muntanya russa"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, krysady said:

It's funny how everyone backstage was so amazed by how good looking was Mika wearing a beard :lmfao:

Mika could dye the beard and his hair white and put one or two pillow under his sweater and he would be the perfect Santa Claus. :yes:

I don't know about you but I would love to have Mika as Santa Claus. :cloud:

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Mika could dye the beard and his hair white and put one or two pillow under his sweater and he would be the perfect Santa Claus. :yes:

I don't know about you but I would love to have Mika as Santa Claus. :cloud:

Oh boy, I just saw how's "Santa Claus" in German :teehee: ... and you tell me that English helps? :aah: 

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, krysady said:

Well, it seems they were invented in Russia for the first time, in Sankt Petersburg :wink2:

"Le concept de « montagnes russes » provient des courses de luges se déroulant sur des collines de neige spécialement aménagées pour celles-ci, particulièrement dans les environs de Saint-Pétersbourg. À la fin des années 1700, leur popularité fut telle que des entrepreneurs commencèrent à développer cette idée dans d’autres pays que la Russie, en utilisant cette fois des voitures munies de roues solidaires d’une voie. En 1812, la compagnie Les Montagnes russes construisit et géra celles du quartier Belleville dans Paris."  - https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/montagnes_russes

Translation:

"The concept of a "roller coaster" comes from the toboggan races taking place on specially designed snow hills, particularly in the vicinity of Saint Petersburg. By the end of the 1700s, their popularity was such high that entrepreneurs began to develop the idea in countries other than Russia, this time using cars with wheels attached to one track. In 1812, the company Les Montagnes russes built and managed those in the Belleville district in Paris."

You learn something new every day on MFC

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, krysady said:

Oh boy, I just saw how's Santa Claus in German :teehee: ... and you tell me that English helps? :aah: 

Saint Nicholas - Sint Nikolaas (Dutch) - Sinter Klaas - Santa Claus (English)

The German "Weihnachtsmann" is derived from Weihnachts, Holy nights, the Christmas season (I think)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, krysady said:

Oh boy, I just saw how's "Santa Claus" in German :teehee: ... and you tell me that English helps? :aah: 

In Swiss German it is "Samichlaus", maybe that helps. :lol3:

And I've a easy German word for you to learn that fits perfectly the time of the year we are right now:

The German word for winter is "Winter". :wink2:

(not my fault that all nouns have to be capitalize in German :lol3:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, silver said:

The German "Weihnachtsmann" is derived from Weihnachts, Holy nights, the Christmas season (I think)

It's a combined word.

Weihnachten = Christmas

Mann = man

So the result = Weihnachtsmann

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, silver said:

We have also Saint Nicholas but it's different from Santa Claus, we celebrate it on December 6 and he'll leave presents into our boots tonight, the same it's in France I think. 

28 minutes ago, Prisca said:

In Swiss German it is "Samichlaus", maybe that helps. :lol3:

Yes, that sounds much better!  Merci ! ( that's also in Swiss German, I think :naughty: )

20 minutes ago, silver said:

It's an interesting phenomenon, but threads on this forum always seem to diverge from the topic they are supposed to be about :naughty:

Blame it on Mika, he's the one juggling with so many languages :aah:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krysady said:

We have also Saint Nicholas but it's different from Santa Claus, we celebrate it on December 6 and he'll leave presents into our boots tonight, the same it's in France I think. 

The "Samichlaus" comes also on December 6 and it's actually the Saint Nicholas and not the Santa Claus but they are often mixed up as they look similar.

In German speaking countries/regions it's actually the Christ Child and not Santa Claus that brings the gifts at Christmas. :yes:

I know I am off topic, sorry for that. :teehee:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, krysady said:

Yes, that sounds much better!  Merci ! ( that's also in Swiss German, I think :naughty: )

Yes, Swiss Germans use often "Merci" instead of "Danke". :lol3:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Prisca said:

The "Samichlaus" comes also on December 6 and it's actually the Saint Nicholas and not the Santa Claus but they are often mixed up as they look similar.

In German speaking countries/regions it's actually the Christ Child and not Santa Claus that brings the gifts at Christmas. :yes:

I know I am off topic, sorry for that. :teehee:

I've set up a new thread to chat more about Christmas (and not be off topic)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/5/2020 at 9:40 PM, silver said:

it is "Babbo Natale" (Daddy Christmas) in Italy.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 10:47 PM, krysady said:

Translation:

Wow, thanks! I didn't know that :) 

• Like 1