Mika - the new artistic director @ Star Academie Canada

krysady

I didn't follow the Star Academy, so I only saw Mika's lesson, but tbh I didn't think he was too strict or anything. I don't know how much time the talents had to rehearse the songs before the lesson with him, but it drove me crazy how some of them didn't get the lyrics or the melody or the timing right, even after the 5th attempt. I can't sing as well as them, but I probably wouldn't have stayed as calm as Mika did, hearing what they did to his songs. :teehee: Anyway they all improved within these 2 hours. Maybe Mika's announcement about not being nice and that he doesn't like tears put too much pressure on them and that's why some of them messed up? 

Well I suppose if you don't know him, you might feel a bit intimidated by his presence, his talent and his beauty. So if I was in their place, having to sing his songs in front of him, I might have felt terrified as well. But that's not his fault.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mellody said:

I didn't follow the Star Academy, so I only saw Mika's lesson, but tbh I didn't think he was too strict or anything. I don't know how much time the talents had to rehearse the songs before the lesson with him, but it drove me crazy how some of them didn't get the lyrics or the melody or the timing right, even after the 5th attempt. I can't sing as well as them, but I probably wouldn't have stayed as calm as Mika did, hearing what they did to his songs. :teehee: Anyway they all improved within these 2 hours. Maybe Mika's announcement about not being nice and that he doesn't like tears put too much pressure on them and that's why some of them messed up? 

Well I suppose if you don't know him, you might feel a bit intimidated by his presence, his talent and his beauty. So if I was in their place, having to sing his songs in front of him, I might have felt terrified as well. But that's not his fault.

From what I hear in the video where Greg talked about the rehearsals, I get that the schedule changed and they have close to no time to rehearse/get familiar with the songs before practicing with Mika.

on the other hand, that’s part of the show, and that’s also part of life: things don’t always go as planned but you have to learn to go with it.

IMO some contestants had it a bit too easy since the beginning and I was glad they got a reality check in this practice. 😇

• Like 5

I've just posted an article from the canadian press.

So we learn that the plan was to come and leave Quebec several time during 3 months. But with all restrictions it's quite impossible.

The superstar is in Quebec to participate in Star Académie and will spend two weeks with the competitors - he will run two

performances, including one with his own songs - unlike the initial plan which called for four times in three months. “It had to be longer and more dispersed. I'm coming, I'm going, I'm coming back, to see the progress, "he explains.

Health restrictions have of course changed plans. But Mika did not want to give up his participation in the popular show, even if it involved two weeks of quarantine on his arrival, among other things because, among his canceled shows, there were those planned at the Bell Center and at the Videotron Center. .

"It meant that this region that I love and owe a lot to, which has always given me energy for the last 14 years, well, I could have not been there for three years, potentially . It's too much. "

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mellody said:

Anyway they all improved within these 2 hours. Maybe Mika's announcement about not being nice and that he doesn't like tears put too much pressure on them and that's why some of them messed up? 

I’m 100% sure it did. I actually had a similar situation where a superior said those words to me. It paralyzed me and I did not do as good and confidently as I normally would have, because I was questioning EVERYTHING. I can only imagine it’s the same for them.. and they are also being filmed!

3 hours ago, cathouzouf said:

on the other hand, that’s part of the show, and that’s also part of life: things don’t always go as planned but you have to learn to go with it.

Very true, especially in Showbusiness the stakes are very high! Look at this show, I’m so very curious how Sunday is going to be! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cathouzouf said:

She didn’t say she was tortured, she said she was terrified... which, knowing Mika a bit, can be totally justified (although I find she was one who sang best in the lesson)

I just see this only conversation as a way to make them aware that not all artists work the same and don’t communicate the same way.

Greg also said that Mika is a rare type, one that can see all aspects of what he wants to do from the get go.

They don’t really show it in the broadcast, but Mika and Greg have a lot in common. He talked in a different interview how he grew up with a mother who was never totally satisfied with his performances and pushed him always to do better.

I've just watched the episode with Greg. And I totally agree with you. 

Some of the students were not prepared for all the details Mika taught them. But as Greg said - Mika is responsible of his Sunday show, not like other teachers in the Academie who have time to concentrate on each student. And they had only one day to work together. A lesson for them to learn different ways of communication and cooperation. And Greg added that many artists like working with people who know what they want and are concentrated on details like Mika - with this outstanding way of seeing pictures and colors of what they working on.

Like @mellody said I was sometime as well annoyed by some students who couldn't properly sing a line or they were changing notes. But I can as well understand they were stressed and not all knew Mika's songs by heart. Another lesson for them how to prepare the performance and how to manage their stress. For sure Mika was stressed too. We know his body language :wink2: But he is a professional and he knows how to pull himself together.

I am sure that young people learned a lot that day and next days in the studios. And they will be proud of the performance they are preparing.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I am sure that young people learned a lot that day and next days in the studios. And they will be proud of the performance they are preparing.

I agree, you saw a clear improvement over the course of those two hours. Sometimes I think it’s a handicap to not know French in the Mika fandom 😅, but watching the workshop he did and only being able to listen and “feel” the conversation and emotion improving with the contestants was extremely powerful to witness. So I have good hopes for Sunday ☺️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I agree, you saw a clear improvement over the course of those two hours. Sometimes I think it’s a handicap to not know French in the Mika fandom 😅, but watching the workshop he did and only being able to listen and “feel” the conversation and emotion improving with the contestants was extremely powerful to witness. So I have good hopes for Sunday ☺️

Have you seen what he did when he was at Star Académie in 2012? that was already pretty spectacular! It rained in the studio (was there, got drenched 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, cathouzouf said:

Have you seen what he did when he was at Star Académie in 2012? that was already pretty spectacular! It rained in the studio (was there, got drenched 😂

I saw the clip and I was amazed!! Now it’s going to be fireworks!! I hope he doesn’t set someone on fire 🙈

• Haha 3

staracademietva

IGTV

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7tbwurLuu/

En coulisse avec Mika en route vers le 7e variété

On te promet un spectacle grandiose à la hauteur de notre directeur artistique, le coloré et unique @mikainstagram ! 🤩

La production a tout mis en œuvre afin de rendre justice à sa créativité et sa générosité !

@hommebionique et les candidats en danger partagent aussi leur dernière impression avant demain!

C’est un rendez-vous à ne pas manquer, demain 19h 🙌

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

And Greg added that many artists like working with people who know what they want and are concentrated on details like Mika

Yes, these details are what makes the difference between just singing a song and performing it. This making people dream, what Mika says several times is so important, bring across emotions, colours - that's what makes his performances so special. And I think that if they perform together with him, perform his songs, they'd better make sure to treat those songs the way Mika's music deserves it.

I had wondered from the previous interviews what Mika meant with the transformation on stage, and how you can stay yourself while becoming another person (because he said you can't be the same person on stage than in your private life), and I think I understand it better now, tho I find it hard to put it into words, sum it up in a few sentences. Because it's something like you stay yourself, you show your personality, your strengths and weaknesses, they make your performance unique, but at the same time you become someone else on stage. I can feel how he means that, but I can't really explain it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mellody said:

Because it's something like you stay yourself, you show your personality, your strengths and weaknesses, they make your performance unique, but at the same time you become someone else on stage. I can feel how he means that, but I can't really explain it.

It’s exactly like that. I compare it to dancing.. you have to show your emotions, otherwise the performance becomes flat, technical and interchangeable by anyone. So you magnify your emotions beyond their normal bounds *just* on the very borders of your physical ability and find the extremes to make a clear contrast between movements... and to make the transitions interesting. It’s like a caricature of yourself, but still staying true to yourself.

HOWEVER

In real life I don’t extend my arm with brute force everytime someone says something that hits a nerve (although I sometimes really would like to 🤣, but I respond within my physical and mental bounds 🤪)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Looks like Mika will sing a new song tonight!!!!!

1616916968227.png

Well, sorry but I think we misunderstood the message - it's not about Mika (even if his photo is in the article) but about Marc Dupre...

:crybaby:

I am removing my post.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Here is the correct text about Mika en En Vedette.

https://www.envedette.ca/potins-stars-quebec/television/star-academie-voici-les-artistes-invites-dimanche-28-mars-1.14844017

La star internationale Mika présentera sa première carte blanche à titre de directeur artistique. Une prestation 100 % à son image, au son de ses plus grands succès, mis en scène dans six tableaux uniques créés spécialement pour l’occasion. Ce numéro spectaculaire et unique risque de faire beaucoup jaser!

English:

International star Mika will present his first carte blanche as artistic director. A performance 100% in his image, to the sound of his greatest hits, staged in six unique tableaux created especially for the occasion. This spectacular and unique performance is likely to generate a lot of talk!

image.thumb.png.45e7e4c29c4a26224b1ea4b5b80842d0.png

• Like 2