Mika - the new artistic director @ Star Academie Canada

krysady

1 minute ago, Hero said:

He mentioned a river and lake appearing as the snow melted, in the live chat with Deb. Maybe it happened a few days ago when he was exploring his new surroundings? 

Yes, I had the same thought when I read Anna's translation. Maybe it wasn't that bad, and/or it was wise of him not to tell us right away, when I look at all the comments about it on Twitter. :teehee: It's a bit of a difference reading the translation, compared to the first info I saw this morning, that he fell into the lake. 😅

Anyway from what he says, he's not exactly happy in this quarantine. But well, he could've just stayed in contact with us if he felt lonely. :dunno_grin: 

I still don't get the vitamins part in that context. "I am ready" - for leaving the quarantine? For working with the talents? Or does it mean "I'm done with it", meaning that he has enough now and wants to leave? In any case I can't make sense of the vitamins.

But someone should've told him that snow reflects the UV radiation, so you get sunburnt more easily. Star Academy should really take better care of Mika! :sneaky2: :rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mellody said:

I still don't get the vitamins part in that context. "I am ready" - for leaving the quarantine? For working with the talents? Or does it mean "I'm done with it", meaning that he has enough now and wants to leave? In any case I can't make sense of the vitamins.

Do you remember this part of X Factor 2016? Correction: it was in 2015.

Vitamins are very important! :lol3: Vitamin C to stay healthy!

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I still don't get the vitamins part in that context. "I am ready"

Remember when I told you to take your vitamins a while back? I felt like my grandmum for saying this. Maybe he’s like my grandmum as well! 🤣 think we’ve reached the age where you can sense a notable difference 🙈 and are therefore taking it to heart more seriously.

1 hour ago, mellody said:

But someone should've told him that snow reflects the UV radiation, so you get sunburnt more easily.

Doesn’t he ski? He should know this 🙈 guess his grandmum never told him to put tanning lotion on 😆

• Haha 2

On 3/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, Kumazzz said:

"I realized something pretty sad," he begins. Before, when I was younger, there were always bookstores, music libraries, where I could pick up books, CDs, vinyls, and review the entire album. I was learning stuff. I listened to the music in a context. The music was contextualized. ”

"Today we open Spotify, we are spoiled for choice ... but we are not listening to anything. We are manipulated by algorithms, by editors who tell us what to listen to, who decide what to put forward, but we are really losing the large discography. "

Just like Mika did when he was younger, I would spend my days at the music store and would browse through the albums, ask to listen to them, read the booklet and then listen to the next one. This put listening to music in a whole unique atmosphere and experience. 

BUT, I don’t agree that we are missing context. If you truly want to know more about the artist and their music these days, you have many platforms to know more about them. That’s how I stumbled on this forum in the first place ☺️ And it’s much more extensive than the booklet.

I do agree that we are being overwhelmed with what is out there, but only within the context that is presented and calculated by the algorithm of any streaming platform. Is this very different from browsing through the music store? I think not, because I would be overwhelmed by the many CDs that were there. I would only pick up an album where the artwork intrigued me. Which still means I would base my choice on the “algorithm” my brain would produce. Clearly not based on anything other than my taste for shape and colours. 

What the algorithm produces on steaming platforms is however incredibly fast paced. This is true, which doesn’t leave much room for wanting to get to know the artist more and the rest of their music. And which ultimately means you get stuck in some kind of artificial loop of similar music. We do need to break out of that, that is true. I can’t wait for Mika’s resistance. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Do you remember this part of X Factor 2016?

No, I hadn't watched any Xfactor before the one last year, apart from some little bits and pieces. Fresh fruit is definitely better than any vitamin pills (and @holdingyourdrink that's where I disagree with your grandmother, or also my mother who always tries to give me some vitamin/micronutrient/homeopathic pills if I complain about anything :aah: - I don't doubt that I might need these vitamins, but I don't want to take them as pills, if I can avoid it.), so I absolutely agree with Mika in this video! Was it really 2016?! He looks so young there! (the vitamins help, apparently :teehee:)

Thanks @krysady, in that context it makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mellody said:

Yes, I had the same thought when I read Anna's translation. Maybe it wasn't that bad, and/or it was wise of him not to tell us right away, when I look at all the comments about it on Twitter. :teehee: It's a bit of a difference reading the translation, compared to the first info I saw this morning, that he fell into the lake. 😅

Anyway from what he says, he's not exactly happy in this quarantine. But well, he could've just stayed in contact with us if he felt lonely. :dunno_grin: 

But someone should've told him that snow reflects the UV radiation, so you get sunburnt more easily. Star Academy should really take better care of Mika! :sneaky2: :rolleyes:

he meant that he enjoyed the beautiful weather we had (and still have) this weekend, he must have basted in the sun. We refer to it as taking our vitamins 😉and now he’s ready to get some work done with the talents...

it’s a shame he and Pepe Munoz couldn’t be on the show together, they would have done great work! (Don’t know if it’s covid restriction, budget restriction or time restriction)

can’t wait to see what he has in mind for the show!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Just like Mika did when he was younger, I would spend my days at the music store and would browse through the albums, ask to listen to them, read the booklet and then listen to the next one. This put listening to music in a whole unique atmosphere and experience. 

BUT, I don’t agree that we are missing context. If you truly want to know more about the artist and their music these days, you have many platforms to know more about them. That’s how I stumbled on this forum in the first place ☺️ And it’s much more extensive than the booklet.

I do agree that we are being overwhelmed with what is out there, but only within the context that is presented and calculated by the algorithm of any streaming platform. Is this very different from browsing through the music store? I think not, because I would be overwhelmed by the many CDs that were there. I would only pick up an album where the artwork intrigued me. Which still means I would base my choice on the “algorithm” my brain would produce. Clearly not based on anything other than my taste for shape and colours. 

What the algorithm produces on steaming platforms is however incredibly fast paced. This is true, which doesn’t leave much room for wanting to get to know the artist more and the rest of their music. And which ultimately means you get stuck in some kind of artificial loop of similar music. We do need to break out of that, that is true. I can’t wait for Mika’s resistance. 

I could imagine that what he means is that music today is already written and produced with streaming platforms in mind. The first few seconds of a song are supposed to already catch you, so when the algorithm suggests it on spotify, you don't click it away. That way a song like Blame it on the girls or Any Other World, with the spoken intro, would have no chance on there. And also I think that Mika doesn't want to write and produce his songs with that in mind, but wants to bring across a certain feeling, express himself, and not just write for pleasing the streaming audience. 

I agree with you though that also in the "good old days" not everything was that good. There the selection of artists went through radioplay, media coverage and marketing budgets (which probably still can help a lot today, especially the latter), while today it's algorithms. I think the point Mika makes is that he would've hoped that the internet would improve this, but this didn't happen - on the contrary, people often don't listen to albums anymore now, the way an artist wrote the album. There's a dramaturgy in an album that gets taken out of context if you listen just to your fave songs on Spotify, in your preferred order. I think that's certainly an aspect of missing the context. Sure, you can have the album in a playlist the way the artist intended it, but I think most people make their own playlists, and that's quite different from listening to an album and just skipping one song because you don't like it that much.

For example, I always have the next song in mind on Mika's albums when one song ends - I recently listened to LICM and TBWKTM again for the first time in many years, and I still knew exactly which song would be next when one ended, even of the ones I always skipped, like By The Time. Don't know if it's just me, but this expectation which song comes next is really strong, and I know the downside of it since my kids have some Mika songs on their Toniebox - on there, after Tiny Love Reprise a children's song starts playing ("Stups der kleine Osterhase" :lmao:), so now when I listen to MNIMH on the car, after Tiny Love Reprise I always think this children's song will start playing. :aah: That's definitely not what Mika intended and in fact it's bothering me. And now that I'm writing this, I feel that I definitely have to change the order of the songs on the Toniebox and put the Mika songs at the end. :teehee:

Anyway, I don't want to miss this freedom of making my own playlists, I think also Mika appreciates that possibility... but if you *only* listen to music like that - and I think many people nowadays do - you miss certain things that you'd have had in a record store, because on the CD or vinyl, the song is within a context, an album. Like, if you had researched Grace Kelly in 2007, you'd have seen the artwork, you'd have heard the other songs, you might have liked it or not, but it would have been the artist's choice (how he designs the album and what songs he puts on it) and yours, and not some algorithm's. To connect that with what Mika says, it used to be more an artistic and a personal choice, and now it has become more a commercialized and engineered choice. Surely it's not black and white, as I said, the marketing budget was important then and it's important now - but this tendency is there and that's indeed sad.

Anyway I agree with you, I'm also very curious about Mika's resistance to this. I said it somewhere else before, the things he says about it give me the vibe of Grace Kelly, a little bit rebellious, this feeling of wanting to change the world, find new creative solutions. :mikalove:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Sorry, it was 2015. 

:teehee: not much of a difference. He looks like 2009 or 2012 Mika there, and ofc I know he didn't do Xfactor at that time.

5 minutes ago, cathouzouf said:

he meant that he enjoyed the beautiful weather we had (and still have) this weekend, he must have basted in the sun. We refer to it as taking our vitamins 😉and now he’s ready to get some work done with the talents...

Ah, now that definitely makes sense! The sun makes you produce Vitamin D, so it's not that far-fetched to refer to that as taking vitamins. Thanks! They should have provided him with sunscreen tho. :mf_rosetinted: (or maybe they did but he decided not to use it - wouldn't surprise me when I remember how in his cooking live he took the aubergines out of the oven without gloves :aah:)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mellody said:

Star Academy Insta story:

Screenshot_20210322-154928_Instagram.jpg

Does it say he'll be there on Wednesday? I thought they had said Tuesday before? Maybe he needs a day in the hotel spa to recover from his quarantine. :teehee: (I'd certainly ask for that if I was him, lol!)

Twitter

MERCREDI, en première sur FB: Rencontre avec @mikasounds

WEDNESDAY, premiere on FB: Meeting with @mikasounds

I think the Mika's La quotidienne episode will be recorded on Tuesday,

These daily episodes are recorded and edited for broadcasting.

Watch last week La quotidienne - Épisode 18,

The video has been skillfully edited in 22 minutes.

Their FACEBOOK is https://www.facebook.com/staracademietva/

Past LIVE videos -- https://www.facebook.com/staracademietva/live_videos/

164138732_539638674105764_1340531777527336752_n.thumb.jpg.b6ceb5d298b5d53aca7f1a158d36237d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First 30 seconds with Mika!!!!

https://fb.watch/4rcf4fmKPp/

So we start with the "relooking".

(to William) Why are you looking so terrified?

A beautiful look is waiting for you in your rooms.

You can go to change and then I will challenge you with a question "What is my colour"?

Do you know the answer?

Lunou: No, I will find it out in my room.

They are all laughing

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

First 30 seconds with Mika!!!!

https://fb.watch/4rcf4fmKPp/

So we start with the "relooking".

(to William) Why are you looking so terrified?

A beautiful look is waiting for you in your rooms.

You can go to change and then I will challenge you with a question "What is my colour"?

Do you know the answer?

Lunou: No, I will find it out in my room.

They are all laughing

Il est trop beau

That’s it, that’s all I can say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

REPLAY

Cours d'identité artistique avec Mika

https://www.qub.ca/tvaplus/video/cours-060301-mika-1039844043

☛DIRECT MP4 ( 1h53 min /1020p / 2.9 GB )  http://streamtvago.akamaized.net/media/v1/pmp4

image.jpg.c1774ef2d263f986b54b2529e2d6d8c0.jpg

That was something... gonna be an awesome show on Sunday. And what a privilege to watch him work (and sing) for 2 hours... I think the contestants realized they will have to work hard

at the end, one of the guys says: on va se faire driver which could translate to: he will leave us no room/make us work hard 😂

• Like 9

I probably won't be able to watch it before tonight, but the bits I saw on Twitter are just awesome! :swoon:

The "don't let me down" part of Stay High. :tears: :wub2: :swoon:

And the acoustic version of Relax :tears: :huglove:

It's an interesting setlist. In one of those interviews he said he asked the contestants to think about which songs represent them, and I wonder if these are his choice for that question? Did he say anything about it?

• Like 4