2020: I Love Beirut, live stream concert, 19 Sept - REVIEWS

TinyLove_CJ

If you wish to discuss the live stream concert in a lot more detail with a full review please use this space to do so! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

ย 

ย 

ย 

Here's mine. ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

As I said before it's quite long ๐Ÿ˜…

ย 

I would have logged in straight after the concert but I got so many notifications on twitter afterwards that I spent a while there and then went to bed (I was very tempted to watch the whole thing again and probably will later), starting to feel PMD now ๐Ÿ˜…. Anyway consider this my first concert review! It's quite long and took me over an hour to write!

ย 

First of all my budgie absolutely loved it! I had the volume up quite high and he was happy chirping away in the background but he got so much louder when Danna came on and remained loud for the whole show, with me being so focused on Mika I really didn't mind. I also have a small dog with a big bark and it's like she knew to behave because for the whole night she didn't make a sound, good girl! I think Mika will be pleased to know he has my pets approval!

ย 

The whole show was beautiful. The set list of songs was a perfect combination too. A perfect balance of showing the hardship of what the Lebanese people are going through and also keeping it up beat and joyful with singing Ice Cream, Lollipop, Grace Kelly and Love Today. Mika has a way of giving hope to people.

ย 

The performance of Any Other World had me in tears wich continued with the various videos shared by the people of Lebanon. One minute I'm crying in sadness the next I'm crying in joy at the couple who's baby, Georges, survived the blast. I hope one day he gets to meet Mika.

ย 

The poems by Etal and Salma were beautiful too. So simple. So relevant.ย 
I'm not a Rufus Wainwright fan but that performance of Agnus Dei with the musicians was certainly something special. Maybe he and Mika will do a collaboration one day together.

I loved the performance by Kylie! I was wondering if she would sing I Believe in You seeing as Mika loves that song but the lyrics to Say Something were more appropriate and it was a wonderful performance. I've never heard of Laura Pausini before but her song at the colosseum was beautiful and it's certainly got me looking more into her music. I knew Me, Myself was coming when Danna came on but I certainly wasn't expecting It Must Have Been Love, neither was my Mum because that song is very special to her and made her cry! And then the song with Louane, again not someone I've heard of before but that duet was beautiful. Definitely another great example of how Mika's voice can blend well with a female singer.

ย 

Now his own performances. I'm hoping so so much that the Arabic version of Promise Land with Mashrou Leila is released as a single. It was immense, I love it! Origin of Love really made me feel the love, did you all see the message "I thank him very much" at the bottom of the screen? And the way Mika looked so intensely at the camera, I'm sure Andy was there. Maybe with a little happy tear in his eye. Lollipop sung in the streets was so much fun to watch, I felt like I was right there with him!

How does Mika do the pointy toe thing when he sings Relax, Take it Easy? He was his true bouncy self with that song, I always love to see him do 'The Jump'โ„ข
We Are Golden was such a burst of energy and then Elle me Dit got me singing along (it's the only French song of Mika's that I know all the words to even though I don't speak French!). And of course how can I not talk about Ice Cream? Only Mika could sing an entire song with his zipper down! I don't think that's the first time either. He could have very easily edited that out but I'm glad he didn't, it wouldn't be a Mika concert without something silly like that! Also wouldn't be right if Mika doesn't get his own lyrics wrong to Underwater. To end the show with Grace Kelly and Love Today was perfect too, very much like his early gigs.

ย 

For a moment I forgot it was pre-recorded and kept wondering where the piano came from, I think Mika needs some alone time with that piano, he seems very attached! ๐Ÿ˜ย 
Along with Promise Land I hope the other songs get released too. If not a DVD then a live album would be brilliant.

ย 

It didn't matter that the theatre was empty, because it wasn't. We were all there, brought together and united by one amazing man. It doesn't matter that we were in our own homes in different countries. Mika brought something magical to the show last night and that something is the people. It's us. All of us. Every single person who sat and watched it from beginning to end, the magic of being apart but together. It's not just I love Beirut. It's WE Love Beirut!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

If you wish to discuss the live stream concert in a lot more detail with a full review please use this space to do so! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

ย 

ย 

ย 

Here's mine. ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

As I said before it's quite long ๐Ÿ˜…

ย 

I would have logged in straight after the concert but I got so many notifications on twitter afterwards that I spent a while there and then went to bed (I was very tempted to watch the whole thing again and probably will later), starting to feel PMD now ๐Ÿ˜…. Anyway consider this my first concert review! It's quite long and took me over an hour to write!

ย 

First of all my budgie absolutely loved it! I had the volume up quite high and he was happy chirping away in the background but he got so much louder when Danna came on and remained loud for the whole show, with me being so focused on Mika I really didn't mind. I also have a small dog with a big bark and it's like she knew to behave because for the whole night she didn't make a sound, good girl! I think Mika will be pleased to know he has my pets approval!

ย 

The whole show was beautiful. The set list of songs was a perfect combination too. A perfect balance of showing the hardship of what the Lebanese people are going through and also keeping it up beat and joyful with singing Ice Cream, Lollipop, Grace Kelly and Love Today. Mika has a way of giving hope to people.

ย 

The performance of Any Other World had me in tears wich continued with the various videos shared by the people of Lebanon. One minute I'm crying in sadness the next I'm crying in joy at the couple who's baby, Georges, survived the blast. I hope one day he gets to meet Mika.

ย 

The poems by Etal and Salma were beautiful too. So simple. So relevant.ย 
I'm not a Rufus Wainwright fan but that performance of Agnus Dei with the musicians was certainly something special. Maybe he and Mika will do a collaboration one day together.

I loved the performance by Kylie! I was wondering if she would sing I Believe in You seeing as Mika loves that song but the lyrics to Say Something were more appropriate and it was a wonderful performance. I've never heard of Laura Pausini before but her song at the colosseum was beautiful and it's certainly got me looking more into her music. I knew Me, Myself was coming when Danna came on but I certainly wasn't expecting It Must Have Been Love, neither was my Mum because that song is very special to her and made her cry! And then the song with Louane, again not someone I've heard of before but that duet was beautiful. Definitely another great example of how Mika's voice can blend well with a female singer.

ย 

Now his own performances. I'm hoping so so much that the Arabic version of Promise Land with Mashrou Leila is released as a single. It was immense, I love it! Origin of Love really made me feel the love, did you all see the message "I thank him very much" at the bottom of the screen? And the way Mika looked so intensely at the camera, I'm sure Andy was there. Maybe with a little happy tear in his eye. Lollipop sung in the streets was so much fun to watch, I felt like I was right there with him!

How does Mika do the pointy toe thing when he sings Relax, Take it Easy? He was his true bouncy self with that song, I always love to see him do 'The Jump'โ„ข
We Are Golden was such a burst of energy and then Elle me Dit got me singing along (it's the only French song of Mika's that I know all the words to even though I don't speak French!). And of course how can I not talk about Ice Cream? Only Mika could sing an entire song with his zipper down! I don't think that's the first time either. He could have very easily edited that out but I'm glad he didn't, it wouldn't be a Mika concert without something silly like that! Also wouldn't be right if Mika doesn't get his own lyrics wrong to Underwater. To end the show with Grace Kelly and Love Today was perfect too, very much like his early gigs.

ย 

For a moment I forgot it was pre-recorded and kept wondering where the piano came from, I think Mika needs some alone time with that piano, he seems very attached! ๐Ÿ˜ย 
Along with Promise Land I hope the other songs get released too. If not a DVD then a live album would be brilliant.

ย 

It didn't matter that the theatre was empty, because it wasn't. We were all there, brought together and united by one amazing man. It doesn't matter that we were in our own homes in different countries. Mika brought something magical to the show last night and that something is the people. It's us. All of us. Every single person who sat and watched it from beginning to end, the magic of being apart but together. It's not just I love Beirut. It's WE Love Beirut!

ย 

ย 

Wow, CJ. Thank you for your review.

I need some time yet to put my thoughts into words...

I am rewatching the video, the posts on Instagram and Twitter and still my mind is too small to holdย all my feelings about "I Love Beirut". Mindblowing is a very good word of my state of mindย :lol3:

• Like 3

I love your review @TinyLove_CJย โค

ย 

22 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I need some time yet to put my thoughts into words...

I am rewatching the video, the posts on Instagram and Twitter and still my mind is too small to holdย all my feelings about "I Love Beirut". Mindblowing is a very good word of my state of mindย :lol3:

Same here! :naughty:ย still too overwhelmed to say something! :aah:

• Like 3

and also a good way to continue to remember & help Beirut. A portion of sales could go there. Lots of opportunities to continue and raise awareness. That explosion (I'm not going to link here, but info is out there) was one of the largest non-nuclear explosions of all time. That's a lot of people who just got traumatized - really PTSD, they need the help so much. xo

• Like 2

• mellody changed the title to 2020: I Love Beirut, live stream concert, 19 Sept - REVIEWS

Press reviews:

The National (English): https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/you-are-not-alone-why-mika-s-heartfelt-i-love-beirut-concert-was-a-success-1.1080332

L'Orient-Le Jour (French): https://www.lorientlejour.com/redir/1233323

Mydreams.it (Italian): https://www.mydreams.it/mika-grande-successo-per-i-love-beirut/

ย 

edit:

6 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

TF1 : Le 20h

A part of Mika I Love Beirut from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRtvAQ_4g4

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 7

How could I forget that he sang Happy Ending and Tiny Love? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Both were absolutely astounding performances too!

ย 

Admittedly after going to an actual real life concert I tend to have a day where my mind goes blank simply because I've taken so much in from what I've experienced. Didn't think that would happen with this! I was also really tired afterwards, it's not like I had to queue or stand in a crowd for hours but I got that kind of tiredness where I couldn't actually fall asleep for ages!ย 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@TinyLove_CJI felt the same thing. Even if I knew it would be amazing, I never thought I would have a feeling as strong... I'm even a little depressed, like after a real concert is finished !ย  After 13 years of being Mika's fan, I'm still surprised, still experiencing things I never knew about before... I never imagined how a virtual event could be so moving and alive ! Mika was definitely right hen he said the theater wasn't empty. We were obviously with him and Beyrouth, and he was with us and Beyrouth as well.ย 

Edited by Presci1108
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

How could I forget that he sang Happy Ending and Tiny Love? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Both were absolutely astounding performances too!

ย 

Admittedly after going to an actual real life concert I tend to have a day where my mind goes blank simply because I've taken so much in from what I've experienced. Didn't think that would happen with this! I was also really tired afterwards, it's not like I had to queue or stand in a crowd for hours but I got that kind of tiredness where I couldn't actually fall asleep for ages!ย 

ย 

Indeed, itย felt like a real concert experience, I was excited before the gig, I couldn't sleep afterwards because I couldn't stop thinkingย about the show, today I was still high but at the same time I have PMD...ย :lol3:ย Mika really exceeded my expectations and I'm always expecting a lot when it comes to Mika but this time it was even better than I could have ever imagined!ย :wub2:ย (Or maybe I was just really missing him on stage... :biggrin2:) But it's quite unbelievable what he and the team made in a couple of weeks, especially since his initial idea was a small garden gig.ย 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

I was excited before the gig

For ages I was excited before the gig too! ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

I had that kind of excited/nervous feeling (just me?) but the excitement definitely won over the nerves! I was worried that the youtube feature on my smart USB stick wouldn't work on the TV, I'm so glad it did. Maybe that's why I was nervous ๐Ÿ˜…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am still unable to write something coherent.

I made a post on my website but it seems so shallow...

ย 

Just for the record the setlist of the show:

ย 

ย 

1. Origin of Love, 2. Happy Ending, 3. Any Other World, 4. Tiny Love, 5.ย Rufus Wainwrightย โ€“ Agnus Dei, 6.ย Fanny Ardantย โ€“ poemย โ€žLa Quasida de Beyrouthโ€, 7. Underwater, 8. Mika +ย Danna Paolaย Me Myself, 9. Mika +ย Danna Paolaย It Must Have Been Love (Roxette), 10. Relax, Take It Easy, 11. Mika +ย Mashrou Leilaย Promisland, 12.ย Etel Adnan, 13. Mika +ย Funk Offย Lollipop, 14.ย Kylie Minogueย Say Something, 15. Ice Cream, 16. Grace Kelly, 17.ย Laura Pausiniย Tra Te E Il Mare, 18. Mika +ย Louaneย Si tโ€™etais la, 19. Elle Me dit, 20.ย Salma Hayekย โ€“ poemย โ€žOn Beautyโ€ Khalil Gibran, 21. We Are Golden, 22. Love Today

ย 

ย 

ahhhhhhhhh.................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mika and his team created something very beautiful and uniqueย with this gig. There was lots of emotions, I cried several times, and what it did was to make me feel connected with the city of Beirut and its people. What I had hoped it would do was to make me feel connected with Mika and the "crowd" like at a real gig, that's how I had understood what he had said before about this "connection of spirit". But to me this didn't happen, maybe because I had the wrong expectations. I only realized this when I watched for the 2nd time in the Asian timezone. The first time I watched, I was sad for 90% of the gig, even for some of the happier songs, because I just miss him and the feeling of being at a real gig so much. :tears:ย Still I was really caught in the moment, I didn't want to write Tweets but at the same time I did, to try and feel like being a part of the crowd. That didn't really work, but the MFC live afterwards was amazing, because there were so many of those fans I often see at gigs, it felt like meeting everyone after the show and going to a late dinner together. :wub2:

ย 

Maybe I'll write more later about how I felt about the different songs, especially when watching for the 2nd time, because there I knew what was coming and wasn't so distracted by my emotions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, krysady said:

Anyone know if the link for the all time zones was the same, or different? Because this could change a lot the total number of viewers in the end.

ย 

I bought tickets for all time zones and the link was exactly the same.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lormare73 said:

ย 

Then it's a bit sad that the number of views is so low, considering how many followers he has on Twitter and IGย :sad:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lormare73 said:

ย 

Yes. It was the same. I had tickets for Europe and US. The link was the same, so to watch again I didn't wait till 3am but I just rewatched as the first link was still active. But I suppose that for US they unblocked it as it should be the local time.

30 minutes ago, krysady said:

Then it's a bit sad that the number of views is so low, considering how many followers he has on Twitter and IGย :sad:

ย 

I was thinking the same, especially with all those guests... but he wrote that the stats & views look amazing - so maybe the counter on YT was wrong? :dunno:ย He wrote more news to come, so I hope he'll let us know eventually.

Still, 50,000 views is half a million โ‚ฌ, that's not too bad.ย 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, krysady said:

Well, anyway it is a big number if we know that all money goes for Beirut.

For the live show you are not always able to watch at the scheduled time.

Let's be happy with what we have. It was a big success.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mellody said:

Still, 50,000 views is half a million โ‚ฌ, that's not too bad.

ย 

47 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Let's be happy with what we have.

It's a lot of money indeedย and I'm glad for him, but I was expecting much more viewers especially that this time all you had to do is sit on your coach and watch, no need to take days off, booking a flight to the other side of the world, booking trains, hotels, queuing, etc.ย 

Well, I'm happy that it was a success nevertheless and he managed to raise such amount in such a short timeย :clap:

ย 

Edit: And I forgot about Danna's fans, 27,5 millions! And Kylie's, and others....

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mellody said:

ย 

I was thinking the same, especially with all those guests... but he wrote that the stats & views look amazing - so maybe the counter on YT was wrong? :dunno:ย He wrote more news to come, so I hope he'll let us know eventually.

Still, 50,000 views is half a million โ‚ฌ, that's not too bad.ย 

ย 

That's true - 500,000โ‚ฌ combined with nearly 200,000ยฃ on the GoFundMe page... plus we don't know yet what the deal with the VOD people brought in, plus t-shirt sales... I think the grand total will be a very respectable number! :yay:

ย 

I think there are two ways to measure the success of program -- the monetary success, as we have discussed, and then also the artistic success, which I think we all agree on, too. Clearly we all had some sort of emotional response not only to the music, but to the stories of the people affected by the explosion and its aftermath, and that's exactly what I think Mika wanted. As he said in one interview, he wanted to provoke a connection, to remind people of the human side of a catastrophe like this and speaking for myself, he definitely achieved that. And in doing so, he created this piece of art, this video that I hope we see again in some format, soon. It was a magical, emotional experience that far exceeded my expectations -- a success on both counts and something that Mika can be proud of for years to come.

ย 

And speaking of whether we will see the program again -- whether as a DVD or a digital download, or whatever -- I have not heard anything yet, but I hope that they plan to do something. And if so, I hope that they announce it soon!

ย 

ย 

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

And speaking of whether we will see the program again -- whether as a DVD or a digital download, or whatever -- I have not heard anything yet, but I hope that they plan to do something. And if so, I hope that they announce it soon!

ย 

And I hope he'll release Promiseland in this new version as wellย 

• Like 11