Discussion - Why the fandom could be more child-friendly

chanleon

Hello everyone. My name is Chandler and you may know me from my fan page on instagram, @mikosounds.

As said in the past days, I've wanted to address and discuss this topic for a while but I had no luck and didn't get to discuss it with people with a different opinion than me. But what is the topic anyway?

Together with quite a bunch of young fans (roughly 14-25), we've been talking about how particular content gets certain reactions from older fans- I'll explain. If you don't live under a rock you've probably seen the video from Xfactor of Emma pulling down the zipper of Mika's jacket, revealing -oh my- Mika's tummy.

This got an extraordinary amount of reactions -understandable to some extent- but we soon noticed how most part of these reactions were making us younger fans (but not only us) terribly uncomfortable.

The aforementioned reactions went from a weird amount of "😍" emojis to the most uncomfortably sexual comments regarding -again, oh my how shocking- Mika's exposed stomach.

While it's a known fact that Mika's body is at this point a sexual fantasy object for many, we wanted to address this because, if you just read the last sentence, that's not exactly nice or normal.

Basically this is going from most of the young fans to -weirdly, I might add-  most of the adults: we know that Mika is good looking. Hell, I'm gay, I know what we're talking about. But this fandom goes from 10 year olds to 70 year olds and we don't think that drooling under every inch of Mika's exposed skin is exactly pleasant to have on our feed.

Please notice that people the age of our parents are commenting things like "ah, the things I'd do to him" (an actual thing I read under a photo) and it's uncomfortable and in our opinion very wrong, because it's gone from appreciating an artist to sexualising him. 

There is a big fat line between appreciating someone's looks and sexualising the person as if they were an object.

If you're not going to stop having sexual fantasies in a comments section for Mika -the poor fella-, at least think that there are 11 year olds (that could in most cases be your children) reading that. It's okay to feel certain ways, just don't write it in a (public!) social media feed. 

Hoping I was not too harsh (but this has been happening for way too long), I hope that you'll consider discussing this.

I'm open to discussion in private chat on instagram too if you're not comfortable sharing under here ( @mikosounds )

Thank you for reading!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chandler, I’ve read your post with interest and as I fall into the category “old person” 😉 I would like to bring in my two cents. 

I was born in 1984 and in my teens the internet was just taking a flight. Social media wasn’t a thing back then, at least not accessible and widespread as it is now. But there were idols, there were teenage hormones and there were inappropriate thoughts. They just weren’t as exposed and anonymous as they are now. 

From a mother’s perspective social media worries me, for my children. In that sentiment I agree with you that we should take notice of what we write there, because it will be there forever for everyone to see. I however also have been guilty of showing my admiration for the mentioned videoclip. I thought in a discrete manner, but I can understand it can make younger people uncomfortable.

However, I wonder how you feel about the comments made by the younger generation you have mentioned? They are very similar, if not worse. Is this condoned because of age? I am curious, because for us “oldies” I cannot say much changes when it comes to admiring or idolizing someone. Of course there are no teenage hormones involved anymore, but having been a fangirl of different artists in the last 20 years, the sentiment stays the same. You would think sophistication comes with age, but truth is, it really doesn’t in some ways, I will shamefully admit.

Looking forward to a constructive discussion where we can learn from eachother’s perspective!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Hi Chandler, I’ve read your post with interest and as I fall into the category “old person” 😉 I would like to bring in my two cents. 

I was born in 1984 and in my teens the internet was just taking a flight. Social media wasn’t a thing back then, at least not accessible and widespread as it is now. But there were idols, there were teenage hormones and there were inappropriate thoughts. They just weren’t as exposed and anonymous as they are now. 

From a mother’s perspective social media worries me, for my children. In that sentiment I agree with you that we should take notice of what we write there, because it will be there forever for everyone to see. I however also have been guilty of showing my admiration for the mentioned videoclip. I thought in a discrete manner, but I can understand it can make younger people uncomfortable.

However, I wonder how you feel about the comments made by the younger generation you have mentioned? They are very similar, if not worse. Is this condoned because of age? I am curious, because for us “oldies” I cannot say much changes when it comes to admiring or idolizing someone. Of course there are no teenage hormones involved anymore, but having been a fangirl of different artists in the last 20 years, the sentiment stays the same. You would think sophistication comes with age, but truth is, it really doesn’t in some ways, I will shamefully admit.

Looking forward to a constructive discussion where we can learn from eachother’s perspective!

Thanks for discussing with me! Absolutely great to be able to discuss with adults as well.

You are very right about the fact that also teens write that kind of things.

What I've noticed with other peers is that many young fans comment in a sarcastic manner (for example I've seen people ask mika to drop his skin care or workout routine) but there surely are teens getting weird in comments sections too.

While we're debating about this among us too, though, I think the difference is -as you also mentioned- that teens are in the weird hormones phase while I've seen that most adults commenting are married with kids.

In no way do I want to justify us younger teens' debatable behaviour, but it kind of spooks me that some people had time to enjoy their weird teen phase at Queen concerts and now drool at artists half their age- admirable that some people are this young at heart but.. if I can't have a rational debate with a 12 year old I was hoping I could start with a grown up adult. 

• Like 1

I have to say that as much as I love Mika (in a platonic way) and also agree he is a handsome man, I've always felt a bit uncomfortable when some fans were posting shirtless images of him with "dirty" comments. I don't like when people sexualize women artists as much as men artists. Nobody has to feel guilty for their fantasies and there's nothing wrong on having a crush on a celebrity but I do agree that sharing these kind of thoughts publicly crosses a line a bit. On the other hand, Mika has never been a "sex symbol" to me, I've always loved him only as an artist and human being so I do respect that some fans may feel different about it and that's fine... But yeah, I've been thinking the same lately so I definitely know where this is coming from. 

• Like 8

Hi Chandler,

very intersting topic. But I have a little problem if you are trying to forbid other people to show what they like or dislike. As Holdingyourdrink told in her post the feelings of being a fan don´t change with age and or better maybe these feelings keep older fans young. This has nothing to do with sexual fantasies and not every smilie should be seen as a fantasy....... 

To tell the truth I think it´s worse to read comments where Mika get told about loosing his hair or what you said about dropping his skin care aso because this is a thing Mika could be hurt. Believe me when he sees a hearted eye smilie he will find it funny.

Btw I´m not a person who puts comments under every picture or video.

• Like 5

Hey, I just wanted to say I totally agree with Chandler and this is an issue I’ve long discussed with people in the fandom. To clear up any debate, I would like to say the difference between older women and teenage girls making “inappropriate comments” is that everyone knows the teenage girls thing is a stereotype. I often joke about “13 year old girls” and in general we put up with their somewhat off colour comments under the impression that in a year or two they’ll grow out of it and they’ve just had their sexual awakening or whatever. But people who are the age of parents/ grandparents don’t have that excuse and should know better. I would also argue that people in my own age group (15-23) tend to make comments that have an overtone of comedy or irony? E.g. “no hetero but-“ “no thoughts head empty”. Whereas comments from other age groups appear to be too sincere in a way that can come across as creepy? Obviously people of ANY age from 13-65 who make sexualising comments I don’t associate with, it just seems to be disproportionately balanced in one age group. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sabine64 said:

Hi Chandler,

very intersting topic. But I have a little problem if you are trying to forbid other people to show what they like or dislike. As Holdingyourdrink told in her post the feelings of being a fan don´t change with age and or better maybe these feelings keep older fans young. This has nothing to do with sexual fantasies and not every smilie should be seen as a fantasy....... 

To tell the truth I think it´s worse to read comments where Mika get told about loosing his hair or what you said about dropping his skin care aso because this is a thing Mika could be hurt. Believe me when he sees a hearted eye smilie he will find it funny.

Btw I´m not a person who puts comments under every picture or video.

Thanks for coming down to discuss!

Firstly I'll clarify: dropping a skincare routine means sharing what products you use like moisturiser or stuff so it's basically a compliment bc you're telling the person they look good. Anyways

I do not think this is censoring. There is a line between a cheeky emoji and "I had a strange dream after watching this last night" (these are actual comments)

All we are saying is that some thoughts can be kept to yourself, especially if they're this 'intimate'. It's not censoring, it's public decency. It's not forbidding to say "I like Mika's outfit" or "He looks really nice lately because he's been working out". It's asking to please limit the content that you wouldn't want to show to a twelve year old child.

It's obviously very rude when people make remarks like the one about his hair, but I somehow doubt that Mika is tremendously happy about people almost twice his age saying he has a "very hot body 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍". 

As said, I just believe there is a line that people can choose not to cross for others' wellbeing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also, I'll add: it's not just comments, am I the only one remembering photoshopped pics of Mika's face placed on semi naked bodies? Because if we got into the gogo boy era it would get uncomfortable pretty fast I fear

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Susan Smith said:

Hey, I just wanted to say I totally agree with Chandler and this is an issue I’ve long discussed with people in the fandom. To clear up any debate, I would like to say the difference between older women and teenage girls making “inappropriate comments” is that everyone knows the teenage girls thing is a stereotype. I often joke about “13 year old girls” and in general we put up with their somewhat off colour comments under the impression that in a year or two they’ll grow out of it and they’ve just had their sexual awakening or whatever. But people who are the age of parents/ grandparents don’t have that excuse and should know better. I would also argue that people in my own age group (15-23) tend to make comments that have an overtone of comedy or irony? E.g. “no hetero but-“ “no thoughts head empty”. Whereas comments from other age groups appear to be too sincere in a way that can come across as creepy? Obviously people of ANY age from 13-65 who make sexualising comments I don’t associate with, it just seems to be disproportionately balanced in one age group. 

Thanks Susan (this is hilarious sorry)

But yea absolutely agreed thanks for being so clear

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I have to say that as much as I love Mika (in a platonic way) and also agree he is a handsome man, I've always felt a bit uncomfortable when some fans were posting shirtless images of him with "dirty" comments. I don't like when people sexualize women artists as much as men artists. Nobody has to feel guilty for their fantasies and there's nothing wrong on having a crush on a celebrity but I do agree that sharing these kind of thoughts publicly crosses a line a bit. On the other hand, Mika has never been a "sex symbol" to me, I've always loved him only as an artist and human being so I do respect that some fans may feel different about it and that's fine... But yeah, I've been thinking the same lately so I definitely know where this is coming from. 

Thanks! I agree, we can't ignore the scary level of sexualising artists (anyone remember young Justin Bieber? the poor kid)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chanleon said:

Also, I'll add: it's not just comments, am I the only one remembering photoshopped pics of Mika's face placed on semi naked bodies? Because if we got into the gogo boy era it would get uncomfortable pretty fast I fear

Yes, I've seen something like that on IG a while ago... :facepalm: 

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, older people don’t necessarily know better. I will give you a couple of examples outside of social media:

You know that aunt or even grandma that is totally embarrassing at parties? Making inappropriate comments (no filter comments, rather) and dancing wildly and  in a very embarrassing way as to have no shame? The one you probably need to cut off the alcohol for the rest of the night? 

My perspective as a 20 year old me: OMG I will NEVER do that when I’m that old!!

My perspective as a 36 year old me: party on! Have the time of your life! I respect you for feeling no shame and living your best life; as long as you don’t mean harm. 

Or another example: when you go out and you see “all of these old women, probably 30 or something, dancing on tables and embarrassing themselves, drinking way too much”

My perspective as a 20 year old me: OMG they should know better, don’t they have any self respect!?

My perspective as a 36 year old me: maaaake room, I need to show my moves on that table ya’ll! I only do this maybe once a year and I need to make it count!! 

Older is not the wiser. At all. We’re just all winging it like you. We just have more years of falling flat on our face to make different choices. 

But back to the social media part of it: anonymity makes it helluva lot easier to blatantly blurt out anything you want. Without being reprimanded. I honestly don’t think hormones are an excuse, because frankly some will never grow out of it. As mentioned above, it may even become worse with some. This is also not an excuse. It is purely an observation I have made in my own walk of life. But being aware of eachother’s perspective is always good and makes one more mindful of the other. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Well, to be fair, older people don’t necessarily know better. I will give you a couple of examples outside of social media:

You know that aunt or even grandma that is totally embarrassing at parties? Making inappropriate comments (no filter comments, rather) and dancing wildly and  in a very embarrassing way as to have no shame? The one you probably need to cut off the alcohol for the rest of the night? 

My perspective as a 20 year old me: OMG I will NEVER do that when I’m that old!!

My perspective as a 36 year old me: party on! Have the time of your life! I respect you for feeling no shame and living your best life; as long as you don’t mean harm. 

Or another example: when you go out and you see “all of these old women, probably 30 or something, dancing on tables and embarrassing themselves, drinking way too much”

My perspective as a 20 year old me: OMG they should know better, don’t they have any self respect!?

My perspective as a 36 year old me: maaaake room, I need to show my moves on that table ya’ll! I only do this maybe once a year and I need to make it count!! 

Older is not the wiser. At all. We’re just all winging it like you. We just have more years of falling flat on our face to make different choices. 

But back to the social media part of it: anonymity makes it helluva lot easier to blatantly blurt out anything you want. Without being reprimanded. I honestly don’t think hormones are an excuse, because frankly some will never grow out of it. As mentioned above, it may even become worse with some. This is also not an excuse. It is purely an observation I have made in my own walk of life. But being aware of eachother’s perspective is always good and makes one more mindful of the other. 

You're right. Seeing that we're both German you too will have seen hundreds of scarily drunk grandmas dancing on tables at Schützenfeste 😂 so you're totally right. In fact it's not like we aren't talking about this with the other teens, we just use twitter or insta for that so you may not see that as much

However I still think that an 11 year old fangirling over an artist is different than a married woman doing the same. Sure, you're young at heart. Sure, "everybody else is doing it". But that doesn't make it okay. And between the two the hypothetical adult woman should overall be more responsible and know what is best for other users. 

Hormones may not be an excuse but so isn't justifying one's own behaviour because everyone else is doing it. Anyone can choose to be the better person. The question is who is more likely to be mature enough to do that?

• Like 2

What I meant before about tolerating those comments from early teens, is that we KNOW they’re young and immature haha. While I have nothing against people dancing on tables 😂, saying “older people don’t necessarily know better” is in a way admitting those sort of comments are unacceptable. And now that we’re having this conversation, hopefully we can all educate each other to become a bit more aware and take each other’s views into account 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Susan Smith said:

What I meant before about tolerating those comments from early teens, is that we KNOW they’re young and immature haha. While I have nothing against people dancing on tables 😂, saying “older people don’t necessarily know better” is in a way admitting those sort of comments are unacceptable. And now that we’re having this conversation, hopefully we can all educate each other to become a bit more aware and take each other’s views into account 

I think we agree on all accounts 😊

4 minutes ago, Susan Smith said:

🧚🏼‍♂️if it was me, I would be a good wife🧚🏼‍♂️

Edited by chanleon
  • Like 1

Chandler, you do have some good points, I also cringe at comments like "the things I'd do to him" (tho luckily it's rare that I see such explicit comments) or the photoshopped images of Mika's head on naked bodies. Also, once my own kids will be old enough to get on social media, I might have to consider setting my profiles to private - but that is independent from any comments in particular, but just because I know that my hobby of following a popstar might be considered "weird" by others, and while I have no problem at all explaining and defending this to any of my own contacts, I don't think my kids should be put in the situation of having to explain or defend it to their peers. That is still years away for me though, and something I'll discuss with my kids then.

As for my own comments about Mika's body, I don't feel bad or embarrassed about them, and I'm still trying to figure out why they would be offending to younger fans, as you say. And it seems you think also to Mika himself, "the poor fella", and that is something I definitely don't see. Do you think when he does things like humping the stage or opening his jacket to show his abs (initiated by a woman in her mid-30s, btw - just wondering, how do you see Emma's role in this?), that he expects people to ignore it? Or just for everyone except teenagers to keep a distant, academic look on it? I can assure you that he loves the looks and screams he gets for this when he's on stage, and that this is something he misses these days when he can't do shows. So all I'm doing is show him from a distance, by commenting on social media, what I would usually show him at one of his gigs. And not just to him, but for everyone to see - that he's a very attractive and sexy man, to men and women of all ages.

And yes, first and foremost he's a musician, of course. But not only. It changed throughout his career, but last year, with the release of Ice Cream and the sexy dancers at the summer festivals, also with some of the interviews he did at that time, he went in a direction that surprised me at the time, towards the image of a sex symbol. And I gotta say I was very skeptical about that at first, I feared it might get superficial, just focused on show - he was suddenly dancing choreographies like a boyband and had dancers on stage who just pretended to play instruments, like WTF?! Luckily there was no need to worry, his latest album is his best, in my opinion. Same for the Revelation tour. There were one or two interviews where he named popstars like Prince or Michael Hutchence as an example of how such contradictions could well work together, the musician who also is a sex symbol - and I think he definitely doesn't have to hide behind them.

The thing is, and I wonder if maybe this is the point that the younger fans might be missing if they see *just* the comments about his body on Twitter: His body and his good looks definitely aren't the *reason* why I follow him, they are just a nice extra about this extraordinary musician and wonderful, deep, smart and kind man that Mika is. And also that is something that Mika knows very well, that most of his fans don't just follow him for his looks.

Among all the comments I wrote about his music and art and smart choices and other sophisticated things on Twitter and Instagram over the last few months, do you know which of my comments got a "like" from him? One where I wrote, among other things, "you're just trying to kill me again with pictures in a pink outfit". :lmfao::dunno_grin:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Melody on many points. For example, Mika himself said several times when he presented his last album that pop music had become de-sexualized. From there to deduce that this is part of the "game", there is only one step. Of course this doesn't mean that we have to forget all respect for it. Some of the comments you mention could be described as of dubious taste. But your publication also makes me wonder about one thing: is it only a question of age? Anonymity gives wings. For example, a person who regularly published comments on Mika, on the verge of indecency, I was petrified when I learned that she was just 13 years old. I believe that it is up to each of us to weigh up our comments, while keeping in mind a few common sense rules. Make sure you don't shock anyone, including Mika, of course. Afterwards, it remains true that not everyone has the same vision on the subject, but I wonder if before being a question of age, it is not rather a question of state of mind. In any case, it is interesting to have different points of view and to be able to talk about it in all serenity

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Chandler, you do have some good points, I also cringe at comments like "the things I'd do to him" (tho luckily it's rare that I see such explicit comments) or the photoshopped images of Mika's head on naked bodies. Also, once my own kids will be old enough to get on social media, I might have to consider setting my profiles to private - but that is independent from any comments in particular, but just because I know that my hobby of following a popstar might be considered "weird" by others, and while I have no problem at all explaining and defending this to any of my own contacts, I don't think my kids should be put in the situation of having to explain or defend it to their peers. That is still years away for me though, and something I'll discuss with my kids then.

As for my own comments about Mika's body, I don't feel bad or embarrassed about them, and I'm still trying to figure out why they would be offending to younger fans, as you say. And it seems you think also to Mika himself, "the poor fella", and that is something I definitely don't see. Do you think when he does things like humping the stage or opening his jacket to show his abs (initiated by a woman in her mid-30s, btw - just wondering, how do you see Emma's role in this?), that he expects people to ignore it? Or just for everyone except teenagers to keep a distant, academic look on it? I can assure you that he loves the looks and screams he gets for this when he's on stage, and that this is something he misses these days when he can't do shows. So all I'm doing is show him from a distance, by commenting on social media, what I would usually show him at one of his gigs. And not just to him, but for everyone to see - that he's a very attractive and sexy man, to men and women of all ages.

And yes, first and foremost he's a musician, of course. But not only. It changed throughout his career, but last year, with the release of Ice Cream and the sexy dancers at the summer festivals, also with some of the interviews he did at that time, he went in a direction that surprised me at the time, towards the image of a sex symbol. And I gotta say I was very skeptical about that at first, I feared it might get superficial, just focused on show - he was suddenly dancing choreographies like a boyband and had dancers on stage who just pretended to play instruments, like WTF?! Luckily there was no need to worry, his latest album is his best, in my opinion. Same for the Revelation tour. There were one or two interviews where he named popstars like Prince or Michael Hutchence as an example of how such contradictions could well work together, the musician who also is a sex symbol - and I think he definitely doesn't have to hide behind them.

The thing is, and I wonder if maybe this is the point that the younger fans might be missing if they see *just* the comments about his body on Twitter: His body and his good looks definitely aren't the *reason* why I follow him, they are just a nice extra about this extraordinary musician and wonderful, deep, smart and kind man that Mika is. And also that is something that Mika knows very well, that most of his fans don't just follow him for his looks.

Among all the comments I wrote about his music and art and smart choices and other sophisticated things on Twitter and Instagram over the last few months, do you know which of my comments got a "like" from him? One where I wrote, among other things, "you're just trying to kill me again with pictures in a pink outfit". :lmfao::dunno_grin:

I totally agree with every word you said

• Like 6

9 hours ago, miknikel said:

I agree with Melody on many points. For example, Mika himself said several times when he presented his last album that pop music had become de-sexualized. From there to deduce that this is part of the "game", there is only one step. Of course this doesn't mean that we have to forget all respect for it. Some of the comments you mention could be described as of dubious taste. But your publication also makes me wonder about one thing: is it only a question of age? Anonymity gives wings. For example, a person who regularly published comments on Mika, on the verge of indecency, I was petrified when I learned that she was just 13 years old. I believe that it is up to each of us to weigh up our comments, while keeping in mind a few common sense rules. Make sure you don't shock anyone, including Mika, of course. Afterwards, it remains true that not everyone has the same vision on the subject, but I wonder if before being a question of age, it is not rather a question of state of mind. In any case, it is interesting to have different points of view and to be able to talk about it in all serenity

I think that's a good point. Disrespectful and very explicit comments, of people of all ages, are something that I think none of us wants to see. But I don't see anything disrespectful in the 😍 smiley, for example. So maybe it's more a question of our different views on what a disrespectful or explicit comment is? I guess it might make sense that a 12 year old has different views on this than a 16 year old than a 30 or 40 year old. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mellody said:

I can assure you that he loves the looks and screams he gets for this when he's on stage, and that this is something he misses these days when he can't do shows. So all I'm doing is show him from a distance, by commenting on social media, what I would usually show him at one of his gigs.

You surely have some good points as well.

The thing that kind of confused me the most is this part. 

Yes Mika has the time of his life humping bears on stage (lol)- but what we're saying, again, is that there's a line some people have been crossing quite a lot unnecessarily.

Could be I haven't clarified this: there is surely a certain kind of content that causes certain reactions. Some of us don't follow accounts that post that kind of content. And we feel that some people (not everyone!) share very explicit reactions when it's not really necessary.

We're not trying to censor comments or people's ideas. But there's, I repeat once more, a line between "you look good mika" and "I'd sleep with you". We just think some people haven't realised that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, miknikel said:

I wonder if before being a question of age, it is not rather a question of state of mind

Absolutely. In fact we talked about this with other teens too, because not all of the comments we're mentioning are from adults. Our only hope is, as with anonymity it is particularly hard to discuss with other teens that may not be as open and mature as adults, that adults will be more open to discuss and realise the point we're making

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mellody said:

I guess it might make sense that a 12 year old has different views on this than a 16 year old than a 30 or 40 year old. 

Exactly. The "drooling" emoji x20 might seem funny and cheeky to a 30 year old but kind of odd to a 12 year old. 

It's -again- a minority of people that makes it especially uncomfortable for us and not the entire fandom.

We just wanted to politely ask those certain people that are aware of the sometimes indecent comments they make to think of how this fandom includes people from all ages that may not be comfortable with people's explicit thoughts put in a comments section. 

As said, there's also people my age who comment that kind of things and we lowkey discuss constantly. At least we hoped mature adults would realise that there's a bit of a limit to public decency on social medias too, considering that anonimity in this fandom often doesn't count given that it's usually personal profiles

• Like 3

What I'm trying to get across is that sexualisation is a thing and it's not pleasant. I will not believe if you tell me Mika is happy about, for example, 60 year olds explicitly posting about their sexual desires with him.

That's not the "sexy" aspect of pop. Freddie Mercury wore tight ass outfits and performed marvellous shows. That's different compared to a thirsty comments section.

And this wasn't even particularly about Mika's opinion but more on the younger fans'. The difference between what Mika does on stage and a comments section is that there's clear consent in the first while many comments are uncalled for.

I'll specify these kind go comments often are on very normal pictures of fully dressed Mika.  

It's not the context that causes the reactions. That's why we mean these comments are often uncalled for

• Like 3