Christmas 2020

silver

44 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

This year I got into making beaded Christmas decorations, I've already gave away some pieces and I've bought more beads to make even more of them...I guess I will give some to family members. :lmfao: 

20201210_191309.thumb.jpg.d4253e6bc6b0a23c1d52912c29555af0.jpg

Wow, they're really nice! :original:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Prisca said:

The fourth German word:

Tannenbaum = Christmas tree ("Tannenbaum" can also be used for fir, but I guess it is normally used for Christmas tree)

Tanne = fir

Baum = tree

grafik.png.a860c3c3f314204fbd416dadcfcd23f3.png

And now that you know that, you can start singing: O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum...

:wink2:

We know this as "Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how green are your branches".

I'm not religious,  but I have to say I enjoy the old traditional carols, like "O Little Town of Bethlehem", "In the Bleak Midwinter" and od course "Silent Night" (Stille Nacht).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silver said:

We know this as "Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how green are your branches".

I'm not religious,  but I have to say I enjoy the old traditional carols, like "O Little Town of Bethlehem", "In the Bleak Midwinter" and od course "Silent Night" (Stille Nacht).

I just found out when researching for "O Tannenbaum" that there is actually a version in English. :original:

I've to admit: I didn't know "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and "In the Bleak Midwinter" up to now. :teehee:

I don't know about the UK but in my region "Silent Night" is THE Christmas song.

The sixth German word:

Weihnachtsessen = Christmas dinner

Weihnachten = Christmas

Essen = food, meal (in this case "meal" :original:)

What makes me realize that we didn't talk about an important thing in this thread: FOOD.

Are there typically Christmas dinners in your region/country?

In my region are typically:

Hot pot (fondue chinois)

grafik.png.10e5a520f286e7540c0bc25a3346cce6.png

In Swiss cuisine, a variation of the traditional Chinese hot pot locally called fondue chinois (lit. "Chinese fondue") is a popular Christmas meal. Various types of meat, fish and vegetables are boiled in a shared pot of broth. Various sauces and pickled condiments are provided on the side. After all the diners have finished cooking, they eat the now well-flavored broth often combined with thin noodles.

Cheese fondue

grafik.png.a8ccd838bc6afad3740407a9a6601355.png

Fondue (UK: /ˈfɒnd(j)/, US: /fɒnˈd(j)/,[3][4]French: [fɔ̃dy]) is a Swiss[5] melted cheese dish served in a communal pot (caquelon or fondue pot) over a portable stove (réchaud) heated with a candle or spirit lamp, and eaten by dipping bread into the cheese using long-stemmed forks.

Fondue bourguignonne

grafik.png.b4af4e35b251fccf1cedd1ed69f33695.png

Fondue bourguignonne

A dish consisting of pieces of steak impaled on forks, cooked in oil at the table and dipped in sauces.

Raclette

grafik.png.55b73dcb2c57d299355168aed63660bd.png

Raclette (/rəˈklɛt/) is a Swiss[1][2][3] dish, also popular in Savoie (France), based on heating cheese and scraping off the melted part. Raclette du Valais is a Swiss cheese marketed specifically to be used for this dish.

• Like 2

People used to eat beef or goose for the main meal, but now the traditional meat is roast turkey, with roast potatoes, vegetables, and pigs in blankets (sausages wrapped in bacon).

Which part of your Christmas dinner do you enjoy the most? - Newbury Weekly  News

And of course there is Christmas pudding.  Lately the shops seem to be competing to produce the most horrible Christmas pudding (hidden orange, cherry and almond, chocolate and orange), but the traditional version is still the best.

It's a steamed spiced pudding with dried fruit (traditionally soaked in alcohol beforehand - beer, brandy, whatever) and served hot with custard, cream or brandy butter.  People who make their own puddings tend to follow family recipes (we do).

Christmas pudding recipes - BBC Good Food

Traditionally decorated with a sprig of holly; also you can pour brandy over it and set this alight before serving (doesn't affect the pudding but looks dramatic).

M&S, Waitrose, Tesco, Asda & Morrisons Christmas puddings have been tested  - and these are the best - MyLondon

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Prisca said:

Fondue bourguignonne

grafik.png.b4af4e35b251fccf1cedd1ed69f33695.png

Fondue bourguignonne

A dish consisting of pieces of steak impaled on forks, cooked in oil at the table and dipped in sauces 

I like the idea of this rather than a traditional Christmas meal here with the turkey. Looks a lot easier to cook and less things to wash up afterwards! Also a cheese fondue done right is just divine 👌

10 hours ago, silver said:

Christmas pudding recipes - BBC Good Food

Traditionally decorated with a sprig of holly; also you can pour brandy over it and set this alight before serving (doesn't affect the pudding but looks dramatic)

I really don't like Christmas pudding, I much prefer mince pies (deep filled with a proper pastry top, no icing!) and sometimes my Mum makes a large egg custard tart for Christmas, it's delicious! 

I'm also not that fond of turkey, even if Christmas day falls on a weekday I tend to have a traditional Sunday roast with beef and Yorkshire puddings!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I like the idea of this rather than a traditional Christmas meal here with the turkey. Looks a lot easier to cook and less things to wash up afterwards! Also a cheese fondue done right is just divine 👌

Yes, is indeed easy to cook and the preparation time is short. You're right there isn't that much to wash up afterwards. :original:

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 2:14 AM, Prisca said:

I just found out when researching for "O Tannenbaum" that there is actually a version in English. :original:

I suppose there's a version for every country? At least here we have exactly the same song for Christmas 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I really don't like Christmas pudding, I much prefer mince pies (deep filled with a proper pastry top, no icing!) and sometimes my Mum makes a large egg custard tart for Christmas, it's delicious! 

I'm also not that fond of turkey, even if Christmas day falls on a weekday I tend to have a traditional Sunday roast with beef and Yorkshire puddings!

We have a friend who is from Swindon and she wanted to make us our first true British roast dinner with turkey, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, pigs in blankets - the works! Guess it will have to wait until January 😅 but that’s fine, because we always love to eat and try new things 😆

She made us minced pies the other day and they were delicious!!! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, silver said:

Traditionally decorated with a sprig of holly; also you can pour brandy over it and set this alight before serving (doesn't affect the pudding but looks dramatic).

M&S, Waitrose, Tesco, Asda & Morrisons Christmas puddings have been tested  - and these are the best - MyLondon

This looks amazing! What's brandy butter?

In my country we have a lot of traditional Christmas meals, mostly based on pork meat, this is the main ingredient for New Year's dinner as well.

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, krysady said:

This looks amazing! What's brandy butter?

In my country we have a lot of traditional Christmas meals, mostly based on pork meat, this is the main ingredient for New Year's dinner as well.

Brandy butter is butter whipped with icing sugar and brandy - a bit like American frosting but not so sweet (and alcoholic :mf_rosetinted:).  Usually served with Christmas pudding or mince pies.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 10:15 PM, Prisca said:

Are there typically Christmas dinners in your region/country?

Most people here eat either fried carp (or another fish but carp is the most traditional) or schnitzel (from any kind of meat) and potato salad (every family has her own recipe but some of the typical ingredients are potatoes, mayo, eggs, some vegetables or ham etc.). We also have a lot of types of home-made Christmas cookies. 

KHnB3SG.jpeg?fl=cro,0,31,800,450%7Cres,1200,,1%7Cwebp,75

• Like 4

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

Most people here eat either fried carp (or another fish but carp is the most traditional) or schnitzel (from any kind of meat) and potato salad (every family has her own recipe but some of the typical ingredients are potatoes, mayo, eggs, some vegetables or ham etc.). We also have a lot of types of home-made Christmas cookies. 

KHnB3SG.jpeg?fl=cro,0,31,800,450%7Cres,1200,,1%7Cwebp,75

I'd read that carp was a traditional dish in many parts of Europe.

The cookies look delicious.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

We also have a lot of types of home-made Christmas cookies. 

The same for my region. Some of the most popular are:

Milanese biscuit:

grafik.png.c23f8437fbfd0d5bb3f3f9ebf907bf56.png

Brunsli:

grafik.png.4b8ea0a032b13470e289e2ef2377d10c.png

Zimtstern:

grafik.png.1ca497befcd5b48187758c1e682d8633.png

Spitzbuben:

grafik.png.d8c1c8ad59891b45aa9d56f99dd3e1e8.png

We don't have a specific dessert meal at Christmas (with my family not at all), but we eat home made cookies (especially I have to be careful not to eat too many :facepalm::lol3:).

And be careful not to eat too many chocolates. :facepalm:

grafik.png.ff7299772facce6a9037e2c7cd6f4716.png

Edited by Prisca

All those biscuits look amazing.  We've started eating European foods at Christmas too, like lebkuchen and panettone, but I guess those will be unavailable or too expensive once we leave the EU trade agreements :sad:

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, silver said:

I guess those will be unavailable or too expensive once we leave the EU trade agreements

I really hope for you that you'll find a solution with the EU. :original:

We have a traditional iced Christmas cake (made with dried fruit - raisins, sultanas)

image.jpeg.b8d3a91f7b9915f2dd32910df0e99670.jpeg

or a less heavy fruit cake with fruit and nut topping

Naked Christmas Cake with Glazed Nuts and Cherries | Supper in the Suburbs

or a Tunis cake (sponge topped with chocolate and marzipan)

image.jpeg.5b9e1d60fe57cba791168d8f0a6c36c0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver said:

We have a traditional iced Christmas cake (made with dried fruit - raisins, sultanas)

image.jpeg.b8d3a91f7b9915f2dd32910df0e99670.jpeg

or a less heavy fruit cake with fruit and nut topping

Naked Christmas Cake with Glazed Nuts and Cherries | Supper in the Suburbs

or a Tunis cake (sponge topped with chocolate and marzipan)

image.jpeg.5b9e1d60fe57cba791168d8f0a6c36c0.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm getting hungry now. :lol3: