Christmas 2020

silver

I should say a bit about mince pies and mincemeat.  Originally mincemeat was just that - minced meat flavoured with chopped fruit and spices. 

Gradually mincemeat had more fruit and was sweetened with sugar; the meat disappeared though many recipes still use suet (animal fat) as one of the ingredients.  This is used in big pies or small individual pies, often served warm (and often  with added alcohol - Christmas seems to be the time for added alcohol) :naughty:.

A very hairy Christmas: Mincemeat lattice tart | Daily Mail OnlineFree Stock Photo 8664 Plate of freshly baked Christmas mince pies |  freeimageslive

Confusingly, we still say "mince" when we refer to minced beef.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Prisca said:

The thirteen German word:

Adventskalender = Advent calendar

Advent = Advent

Kalender = calendar

(If this word is difficult to remember, then I don't know. :lmao:)

grafik.png.c7164d3d85298234154207861f84bbcc.png

If it's Advent + Kalender, why does the "s" get added in the middle? :blink:

7 minutes ago, silver said:

If it's Advent + Kalender, why does the "s" get added in the middle?

It's used to connect the words so it's easier to pronounce, I guess. (In German linguistic it's called a "Fugen-s", there are also letters like -e-, -es-, -n-, -en-, -er- and -ens- with the same function but the most often "s" has this function.)

With some words you are free to put e.g. an "s" or not but with this word it is common to put an "s". :original:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, silver said:

(and often  with added alcohol - Christmas seems to be the time for added alcohol) :naughty:.

This is what I wanted to say, it seems that you guys really like to cook with alcohol and sounds like a good tradition :naughty:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, krysady said:

This is what I wanted to say, it seems that you guys really like to cook with alcohol and sounds like a good tradition :naughty:

Hahaha true! In my family there isn't any recipe for cookies that isn't including rum. :teehee:

• Haha 3

The fourteenth German word:

Mistelzweig = mistletoe

Mistel = mistletoe (yes, it already means "mistletoe", but normally we talk about "Mistelzweig" when it's about this thing you are supposed to kiss each other when you are beneath, not that this tradition actually exists in the German speaking zone but as it is there also possible to watch Hollywood movies... :lol3:)

Zweig = branch

grafik.png.5de78a91ab376365ba36a95dae2c8a44.png

• Like 1

Our word Mistletoe like many words has a rather hazy background but one suggested derivation is that the mistle part is missel (little dung, from Saxon misc or mix), and the toe part is definitely from tan, twig, so it means little dung stick :teehee:

Not so romantic now :naughty:

• Haha 1

What's everyone's favourite Christmas movie? I'm not the biggest fan of them actually with only a few exceptions, these are:

- The Grinch (2000)

- The Grinch  (2018) - better than the original imo. 

- Love Actually

- The Nightmare Before Christmas (which is great because you can watch it on Halloween and Christmas!) 

- The Snowman and, The Snowman and the Snowdog (I know they're only short but they count!)

And my all time favourite has to be... 

ELF! 😁 

Will Ferrell Santa GIF by filmeditor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, silver said:

That looks a very interesting cake - what's it made of?  I assume it is a traditional cake.

It's made out of sweet yeast dough. That's how it looks like in Switzerland. In one of the pieces is the plastic king. The person who catches the piece with the plastik king is for the rest of the day the king/the queen and can put the crown on. Yes, it is a traditional cake. It is only sold at the 6 January and some days before and afterwards. Most people buy it at 6 January. There are (according to Wikipedia) sold every year 1,5 millions of this cake in Switzerland (there are around 8,5 millions people in Switzerland). Almost every household buys it (there are of course also smaller king cakes than the cake above). :original:

• Like 1

Actually we used to have something similar with a bean in the cake - whoever got the bean became the Lord of Misrule and lead the drinking and general revelry.  Servants were allowed to mix with their masters and all the normal social rules didn't apply. 

• Like 1

The ninteteenth German word (and the last one, my special Advent calendar is shorter as I started too late :lmfao:):

Weihnachtslied = Christmas carol

Weihnachten = Christmas

Lied = song

grafik.png.5e1fadcdb6c6ef05e44a6c18736a4a72.png

I hope you had a little bit fun with learning German (with a person there mother tongue is strictly speaking not German :teehee:, don't worry, I know what I'm doing, at least what this concerns :lmfao:)

Merry Christmas to everyone.

:newyear:

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 2:37 PM, silver said:

Is there a German word for "I've eaten and drunk too much"?  :wink2:

Hmm, "drunk too much" is easy, there are several words:

drunk = betrunken, besoffen (coll.), alkoholisiert, blau ("blau" literally means blue, yes, when you say in German that you are blue you are drunk and not sad, important to know :wink2:)...

:insane:

"For eaten too much" I had to think longer.

When you have eaten enough you say that you are "satt". When you have eaten too much, you can say: "ich platze" = literally it means something like "I burst".

:licks_lips:

In case somebody is interested in what I've eaten the last days:

dinner of 24 December = raclette

dinner of 25 December = raclette

dinner of 26 December = raclette

dinner of 27 December = no, I'm alone at home, I'm not going to eat raclette again. :floor:

grafik.png.63f86191cf90a1d507e5b4e220b5f4de.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Prisca said:

In case somebody is interested in what I've eaten the last days:

dinner of 24 December = raclette

dinner of 25 December = raclette

dinner of 26 December = raclette

dinner of 27 December = no, I'm alone at home, I'm not going to eat raclette again. :floor:

grafik.png.63f86191cf90a1d507e5b4e220b5f4de.png

Wow that's a lot of raclette :lmfao: I've eaten raclette and I love it, but we only eat it on New Year's Eve.

• Like 1