Christmas 2020

silver

Leftovers for me - had the vegetables not eaten on Christmas Day in a risotto (with cheese :wink2: ), and some of the leftover Christmas pudding reheated and served with cream.

We seem to have gone a bit mad on breadsticks and cheesy biscuits and salted nuts, so I think I will be eating them until the end of the year.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 10:43 PM, silver said:

in a risotto (with cheese :wink2: )

That sounds interesting, what kind of cheese?  Usually we have risotto with parmesan.

Edited by krysady

4 hours ago, krysady said:

That sounds interesting, what kind of cheese?  Usually we have risotto with parmesan.

Leftover cheese too - some Cheddar, some Emmental and I think some Double Gloucester (all hard cheeses).

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2020 at 5:51 PM, Prisca said:

In case somebody is interested in what I've eaten the last days:

dinner of 24 December = raclette

dinner of 25 December = raclette

dinner of 26 December = raclette

dinner of 27 December = no, I'm alone at home, I'm not going to eat raclette again. :floor:

grafik.png.63f86191cf90a1d507e5b4e220b5f4de.png

:licks_lips:

Edit: At 27 December, I actually thought that I wouldn't eat raclette this year anymore, but nope, I was wrong. :lol3:

My friend, where I ate 26 December, asked me what I'm doing New Year's Eve and I told her that it looks like I'm spending New Year's Eve alone. She took pity on me and asked if I wanted to eat with her and her family. She said she still had to clarify that, but it shouldn't really be a problem. I wrote to her today and asked if it was ok. She replied and said it was ok and said they were doing raclette again and asked me if that was ok for me. And since I'm not an a*hole, I said yes, it's ok. :floor:

This beats my record from another year, where I ate fondue chinoise three times in a few days during the Christmas season. This Christmas, I haven't eaten fondue chinoise or any other fondue once. It almost seems to me that raclette is the only dish this Christmas. Not that I'm complaining, since I don't have to cook myself, but a fondue certainly wouldn't go amiss as a change. :lmao:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, krysady said:

Had to google this one, never heard of it, I guess it's some sort of traditional British cheese 

Yes, traditional British cheese  - golden colour, mild nutty taste.  Made from the milk of Gloucester cattle, which have a white stripe along their backs

Gloucester Cow with her calf - one of the Rare Breed cattle | Cattle, Cow  calf, Animals

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 6:38 PM, Prisca said:

Edit: At 27 December, I actually thought that I wouldn't eat raclette this year anymore, but nope, I was wrong. :lol3:

My friend, where I ate 26 December, asked me what I'm doing New Year's Eve and I told her that it looks like I'm spending New Year's Eve alone. She took pity on me and asked if I wanted to eat with her and her family. She said she still had to clarify that, but it shouldn't really be a problem. I wrote to her today and asked if it was ok. She replied and said it was ok and said they were doing raclette again and asked me if that was ok for me. And since I'm not an a*hole, I said yes, it's ok. :floor:

This beats my record from another year, where I ate fondue chinoise three times in a few days during the Christmas season. This Christmas, I haven't eaten fondue chinoise or any other fondue once. It almost seems to me that raclette is the only dish this Christmas. Not that I'm complaining, since I don't have to cook myself, but a fondue certainly wouldn't go amiss as a change. :lmao:

grafik.png.20a8e25acc0acd802066297c5e77671d.png

Dear computer,

Really? Honestly, I already had four times raclette in a short time, no need to show me an add with a discount for that. I think the raclette is following me. :omg_fans:

At least, I had yesterday also raclette with sweet pepper and garlic that I hadn't had this Christmas season before. :licks_lips:

Please don't take my raclette problem too seriously. :lol3:

Happy New Year everyone and stay high. :yay:

• Haha 3

We have a sort of second Christmas meal on New Year's Day, a roast followed by Christmas Pudding, with Christmas crackers as well.  It's usually more relaxed than the Christmas meal, in some ways I enjoy it more.

We will have the last Christmas Pudding at Easter.

• Like 1

Christmas cracker = paper tube twisted at each end which is pulled by two people.  It has a "snap" , a paper hat, some sort of toy/game/trinket, and a motto or joke.  Christmas cracker jokes are famous for being terrible

image.jpeg.bca1a13ee69f0d1f9dbc1874402831e5.jpegCaspari Cheers Gold Christmas Crackers | PaperStyle

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silver said:

Christmas cracker = paper tube twisted at each end which is pulled by two people.  It has a "snap" , a paper hat, some sort of toy/game/trinket, and a motto or joke.  Christmas cracker jokes are famous for being terrible

image.jpeg.bca1a13ee69f0d1f9dbc1874402831e5.jpegCaspari Cheers Gold Christmas Crackers | PaperStyle

I've to admit, I misunderstood it when you said "Christmas cracker". :teehee:

I think I've seen that before but at New Year's Eve. :original:

So you have this at Christmas and New Year's Day?

4 hours ago, Prisca said:

I've to admit, I misunderstood it when you said "Christmas cracker". :teehee:

I think I've seen that before but at New Year's Eve. :original:

So you have this at Christmas and New Year's Day?

We have them on Christmas Day, and in our family on Boxing Day and New Year's Day as well (don't know what other families do).

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:44 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

What's everyone's favourite Christmas movie? I'm not the biggest fan of them actually with only a few exceptions, these are:

- The Grinch (2000)

- The Grinch  (2018) - better than the original imo. 

- Love Actually

- The Nightmare Before Christmas (which is great because you can watch it on Halloween and Christmas!) 

- The Snowman and, The Snowman and the Snowdog (I know they're only short but they count!)

And my all time favourite has to be... 

ELF! 😁 

Will Ferrell Santa GIF by filmeditor

Sorry, really late answer, I'm a busy person while others don't know what to do right now. :biggrin2:

Strangely, when I think about Christmas, first movies that come into mind are movies that are shown in the German region during Christmas but are actually not Christmas movies.

grafik.png.505ce290b77332496aebb41649f3f881.png

A kind of Cinderella movie from 1973, a co-production between the German Democratic Republic (GDR) and the Czechoslovakia, so both countries that don't exist like that anymore contrary to the movie that stil exists and how. I grew up with this movie and it's almost possible at any time at 24, 25, 26 December to find a German channel that shows the movie. So, not even time shift television is necessary. :lol3:

And then of course the Sissi trilogie.

grafik.png.934e51e683f7f7875b4e5b92ca98b953.png

grafik.png.c6d6428d3b601e2ee7f5d6f866690949.png

grafik.png.bf798bf5b03b98057b947241aa9fb40e.png

It's also shown every Christmas at many German channels. I've to admit that I don't remember everything since my mom watches the movies almost every Christmas and when I saw she was watching it as a child the film had often already started. I know that I've seen a couple of times the whole second part. However, I haven't watched now the movies for many years and I would watch them differently now.

My 96 years old granny loves the movies. I think she even skiped one mass or rosary because she wanted to watch it, I think at Christmas 2018 or 2019. :teehee:

The movies were shot between 1955 and 1957, so you can imagine how many times she has seen them since then. :lol3:

And then I grew up with Home Alone and Home Alone 2 but the topic of these movies is at least Christmas. :lol3:

grafik.png.47a68d5e1d6a2dcf6d7fae1373eab670.pnggrafik.png.f61523b3df94098a596e5d442a94a2a1.png

And the German channels show always all DIE HARD movies during the Christmas season. The first DIE HARD happens during Christmas, but that is certainly not the thing that I connect to when I think about Christmas. However, I actually like the DIE HARD movies. :lol3:

grafik.png.3b457570a3d536b7c9026e75963b94fa.png

• Haha 1

@Prisca Those German films look quite interesting, we often have fairy tale style films shown here in the UK too.  I do like the Home Alone films too they are hilarious! (but let's forget about the 3rd one... 😶). I was going to put Die Hard on my list but it's so controversial because so many people say it's not a Christmas movie and yet I still watch it at Christmas! 😁 

(still need to watch the sequels). 

• Like 1

The films that are always on at Christmas are The Sound of Music and It's A Wonderful Life (which I've never watched but have actually recorded this time).  Oh, and White Christmas (which is pretty dreadful and would have been forgotten if it wasn't for the theme song).

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 12:11 AM, Prisca said:

grafik.png.505ce290b77332496aebb41649f3f881.png

A kind of Cinderella movie from 1973, a co-production between the German Democratic Republic (GDR) and the Czechoslovakia, so both countries that don't exist like that anymore contrary to the movie that stil exists and how. I grew up with this movie and it's almost possible at any time at 24, 25, 26 December to find a German channel that shows the movie. So, not even time shift television is necessary. :lol3:

Here it's a traditional Christmas Eve movie and we watch it on TV every year after the Christmas dinner and the presents. However, every year there's also a brand new Christmas fairy tale that the Czech TV shows on Christmas Eve at 8pm. This year it was quite good. Most of our Christmas movies are fairy tales like this. 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 10:02 AM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I do like the Home Alone films too they are hilarious! (but let's forget about the 3rd one... 😶). I was going to put Die Hard on my list but it's so controversial because so many people say it's not a Christmas movie and yet I still watch it at Christmas! 😁 

(still need to watch the sequels). 

It's interesting how some films survive the generations. My friend told her children (4 and 6 years old) that the Christ Child would bring their gifts next morning which wasn't a good idea as they already get up at 6 a.m. because of that. :lol3:

So she put them in front of the TV and let them watch Home Alone. :original:

I understand why many people say that Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie as they don't connect killing people as something peaceful what many people combine Christmas with. However, at least it's the good guy that kills the bad guys, so happy end. :biggrin2:

It's a long time that I haven't seen Die Hard 1, so I didn't even remember that it plays during Christmas. However, as I knew that it's always shown then, I thought there has to be a reason and thought: is it shown during Christmas because it's Christmas in the film? And I looked it up and find out that I was right and this is probably the reason. :biggrin2:

I looked the forth Die Hard by chance at my friend's house at 26 December. The film is from 2007. I had watched it when it came out but not since then. And now I thought: gosh the mobile phones look so old in the film. :lol3:

I don't look that much films anymore, but rather series or shows; shows of course mostly where Mika participates. :original:

Now I want to look a series in Spanish with Spanish subtitles but I don't know what yet. Soon I will have watched all interviews with Mika in Spanish as there aren't that much. :original:

@TinyLove_CJ How is your Italian studying going on? If you have a question don't hesitate to write me a PM. I'm not Italian but since I have been studying Italian for over ten years now (yes already :yikes:), I might be able to help. :biggrin2:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Prisca said:

How is your Italian studying going on? If you have a question don't hesitate to write me a PM. I'm not Italian but since I have been studying Italian for over ten years now (yes already :yikes:), I might be able to help. :biggrin2:

Not too great :doh:,  but I'm still going! I'm determined to learn so I might hold you to that offer of help. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Prisca said:

Now I want to look a series in Spanish with Spanish subtitles but I don't know what yet. Soon I will have watched all interviews with Mika in Spanish as there aren't that much. :original:

I've seen quite a few Spanish series and also some movies on Netflix to improve my Spanish so maybe I could give you some tips if you want but it depends on what genre do you prefer... :spain:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

I've seen quite a few Spanish series and also some movies on Netflix to improve my Spanish so maybe I could give you some tips if you want but it depends on what genre do you prefer... :spain:

Thank you, giraffeandy. :flowers2:

I look pretty much every kind of genre besides of horror movies/series. The best would be if I would have subtitles in Spanish (when they are in English, I'm afraid that I read more the subtitles than concentrate on what they are actually saying :lol3:) and that it's for free is important and I don't have Netflix. I'm not picky with the genre. :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Prisca said:

This is the first threat where I've by far the most posts and it isn't Mika related. :lol3:

I'm not sure if that's a good sign. :lmfao:

Anyway, I miss Mika. :yes:

But your posts have been very educational.

And we have to talk about something while Mika is quiet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Prisca said:

This is the first threat where I've by far the most posts and it isn't Mika related. :lol3:

I'm not sure if that's a good sign. :lmfao:

Anyway, I miss Mika. :yes:

Haha you're right, but it doesn't matter. :original:

8 hours ago, silver said:

But your posts have been very educational.

And we have to talk about something while Mika is quiet.

That's it, don't worry @Prisca
:biggrin2:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, Prisca said:

grafik.png.20a8e25acc0acd802066297c5e77671d.png

Dear computer,

Really? Honestly, I already had four times raclette in a short time, no need to show me an add with a discount for that. I think the raclette is following me. :omg_fans:

At least, I had yesterday also raclette with sweet pepper and garlic that I hadn't had this Christmas season before. :licks_lips:

Please don't take my raclette problem too seriously. :lol3:

Happy New Year everyone and stay high. :yay:

I had today evening raclette again, it wasn't my idea. :lol3:

Ok, I didn't have raclette for a month but for me it seemed shorter. :lmfao:

• Haha 2