Mika with Lou Doillon on RTL - 10 Jan 2021

mellody

REPLAY

Dailymotion

Lou et moi : Mika (10/01/21)

:france:

Dimanche, 19h, depuis son atelier de musique éphémère, chambre 208 aux Bains Douches de Paris, Lou Doillon reçoit Mika. Au programme de cette émission : confidences, écoute de morceaux choisis et un duo inédit pour une reprise d'une chanson de Joan Baez, "Diamonds & Rust"

:uk:

Sunday, 7 p.m., from his ephemeral music workshop, room 208 at the Bains Douches in Paris, Lou Doillon receives Mika. On the program of this show: confidences, listening to selected songs and a new duet for a cover of a song by Joan Baez, "Diamonds & Rust".

6PLAY

https://www.6play.fr/lou-et-moi-p_18039/lou-et-moi-mika-10-01-21-c_12824273

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Lol did he actually say he played Lola live only 1 or 2 times?! He must've been really tired on the 2012/2013 tour to forget already that it was part of the setlist. :teehee: Or did I understand that wrong? Maybe he was being ironic?

That Jakub guy reminds me of Giulio in some of his photos. :naughty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, mellody said:

Lol did he actually say he played Lola live only 1 or 2 times?! He must've been really tired on the 2012/2013 tour to forget already that it was part of the setlist. :teehee: Or did I understand that wrong? Maybe he was being ironic?

That Jakub guy reminds me of Giulio in some of his photos. :naughty:

Yes, he did say that he only played Lola live a few times... 😂 no irony whatsoever!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cathouzouf said:

Yes, he did say that he only played Lola live a few times... 😂 no irony whatsoever!

Maybe because it was on the setlist only on one tour, not like GK or HE on every tour since 2007. :teehee:

• Haha 4

When he says about Lola that "there is this line that says you can as well give in and sleep with whoever you want", I wonder what line in the song he refers to. Lola is one of the songs I had never really understood the meaning of - you could easily say it's just a blah blah lovesong, but even tho he sings "it's just another lovesong", that's not typical for Mika. :teehee: Well, without wanting to get too much into a song discussion here, we have an extra thread for that song, I just wonder what he refers to when he says that. From what I understand, in French after that he says something about break your heart (and accidentially says corps instead of coeur and they're lauging about that, right?) - so he starts that sentence in English but continues it in French, and I'm just like huh? :blink: What line of the song do you think he refers to, does it make more sense what he says in French?

18 minutes ago, mellody said:

When he says about Lola that "there is this line that says you can as well give in and sleep with whoever you want", I wonder what line in the song he refers to. Lola is one of the songs I had never really understood the meaning of - you could easily say it's just a blah blah lovesong, but even tho he sings "it's just another lovesong", that's not typical for Mika. :teehee: Well, without wanting to get too much into a song discussion here, we have an extra thread for that song, I just wonder what he refers to when he says that. From what I understand, in French after that he says something about break your heart (and accidentially says corps instead of coeur and they're lauging about that, right?) - so he starts that sentence in English but continues it in French, and I'm just like huh? :blink: What line of the song do you think he refers to, does it make more sense what he says in French?

He probably means the line "Keep jumping from one lover to another".

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Subtitling Team said:

:uk: Did you miss Mika talking about classical music, figuring an ideal line-up with several artists from every decade, talking about his experience in Versailles filming the fireworks show, giving interesting recipe suggestions? You can now watch "Lou et moi" with English subtitles :yay:

:italia: Vi siete persi l'ultima intervista in cui Mika parla di musica classica, immagina uno show ideale con artisti di ogni epoca, racconta l'esperienza della registrazione dello spettacolo pirotecnico a Versailles e consiglia ricette interessanti? Ora potete guardare "Lou et moi" con sottotitoli in italiano:yay:

PS: we're uploading it on vimeo as well in case it's blocked or removed (yeah, it has already happened :doh:), it will be online only Saturday due to upload limits <_<

Thank you, dear Subtitling team! :flowers2:

I love how he talks about the fireworks, you can indeed tell he was excited like a child. :wub2: And it reminded me of how excited I was as a child to see the "Rhine in Flames" event, it was the most marvelous fireworks I've ever seen live (I think, at least from my memory :teehee: ) - driving on a boat on the Rhine, with fireworks all along. :mikalove: I can't say I ever was obsessed with fire, as he says he was, in fact I was rather scared of fire, I didn't even dare to light a match for a very long time. :lol: But I always loved fireworks, my Mum just would have to say there was fireworks somewhere, and she could be sure I would want to be there. :lmfao: Which is funny, because I also was scared of loud noises as a child, for example of the vacuum cleaner. And I *hated* those firework crackers that just made noise without any beautiful lights or colours. :teehee:

I also love what he says in his recipe about ordering salmon sushi and just using the salmon of it to make a salmon tartar, because it's better than salmon from the supermarket. :lmao: That's just so super pragmatic and unpretentious, and that he is like that is one of the many reasons why I love him. :biggrin2: Also, the dish in general sounds delicious.  :) 

And so true what he says about the universality of music. I'm not someone who streams music much, I prefer to buy the CD and the mp3, and I suppose most of those who love good music actually do that, or not? Classical music, jazz and world music  have always been more of a niche product in the pop world, but those who like to listen to that usually are more likely to pay for it, and pay more for it. I don't follow infos from the music industry much these days, but isn't it still like that, that in these areas money isn't made by streams but by sales?

And obviously, when I talk about "good music", I also mean Mika's - but his music, like himself, is a mix of everything. Like, right now, from what I saw on Twitter, he gets lots of Spotify streams by the younger audience who just discovered him on TikTok. And there's also the older fans like me who still love to buy CD's - and probably there's everything in between. So well, altogether I don't get where he gets the idea from that your music only has value if you get a lot of streams on Spotify. Is that what his record label tells him, because they just label him as "pop" and then have their standard marketing strategies for that, which includes writing songs designed for streaming playlists? I hope not... but this topic does seem to touch him these days, he also mentioned it in the settestorie interview and even at the Christmas gig at one point he said "who even needs a musician" and looked very serious for a moment, before he laughed it off. :sad: It makes me sad that there seem to be people who try to make him feel like he has to get a lot of Spotify streams and his music isn't valued the way it is.

The song he played by Jakub Orlinsky was a part I skipped so far when listening to that interview, because I don't like baroque music (although in fact baroque style churches are my fave kind of churches, with all the gold and ornaments). But what Mika said about it, that Jakub's voice makes you feel more like in a brothel than in a church made me listen this time, and I think I can hear what he means. I still don't like the song, but I love it that, as so often, Mika makes me feel more open for things I'd never have tried otherwise, by pointing out such details. I think it'd be interesting to have a sort of "art of song" with classical music from him. He could make a podcast, to teach us about classical music. Or an audiobook? I'd definitely buy that! :wub2:

• Like 10

Btw, what I didn't like so much is that he said he prefers to have his hair shorter, because it's easier to handle that way. I like him with both long and short hair, but it does make me a tiny bit sad that we'll probably never get the long fluffy curls back. :tears: 

So it seems we were lucky during the first lockdown... :rolleyes: maybe that's why he's not posting now, hairdressers closed and hair getting too long even for hats. :teehee:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, mellody said:

Btw, what I didn't like so much is that he said he prefers to have his hair shorter, because it's easier to handle that way. I like him with both long and short hair, but it does make me a tiny bit sad that we'll probably never get the long fluffy curls back. :tears: 

So it seems we were lucky during the first lockdown... :rolleyes: maybe that's why he's not posting now, hairdressers closed and hair getting too long even for hats. :teehee:

If he's still in France , hairdressers are not closed ..........at least not yet :wink2:

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, carafon said:

If he's still in France , hairdressers are not closed ..........at least not yet :wink2:

Ah thanks, I didn't know - they are closed in Germany since mid-December. How about Italy and Canada, does anyone here know? :teehee:

Anyway, I was joking, obviously. He didn't let his long hair stop him from posting during the first lockdown, so that surely isn't the reason why. Guess I'm already in "making up theories about why Mika has gone into hiding" mood, the kind of thing that never makes any sense because even after 14 years we don't know the answer, but keeps us distracted til he returns. 😅

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, mellody said:

Anyway, I was joking, obviously. He didn't let his long hair stop him from posting during the first lockdown, so that surely isn't the reason why. Guess I'm already in "making up theories about why Mika has gone into hiding" mood, the kind of thing that never makes any sense because even after 14 years we don't know the answer, but keeps us distracted til he returns. 😅

There are so many different topics on the MFC that I'm deeply surprised that there is none for that .....:naughty:

Edited by carafon
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, mellody said:

"Rhine in Flames"

That’s cool, what part of the Rhine did you see that? We live along the Rhine and it is a true happening, absolutely stunning - even as an adult (I didn’t get to experience it until I moved to Germany in my late 20’s) 

I also love what he says in his recipe about ordering salmon sushi and just using the salmon of it to make a salmon tartar, because it's better than salmon from the supermarket. :lmao:

Oh Mika, it’s because you can’t get salmon loin at the regular supermarket 🤣 makes me wonder if he goes grocery shopping that often 🤣

And so true what he says about the universality of music. I'm not someone who streams music much, I prefer to buy the CD and the mp3, and I suppose most of those who love good music actually do that, or not?

Welllll, I don’t own a CD player anymore, nor a DVD player. Streaming is just a lot easier, especially since I’ve reached my computer’s capacity of storing mp3s... I wonder if musicians truly get more money from a CD or mp3 as opposed to streaming? I’ve never thought of that, actually. I know they make the most money when you go to their shows and well, that impossible at the moment, unfortunately.. so I think I will reconsider the mp3 thing.

"who even needs a musician" and looked very serious for a moment, before he laughed it off. :sad:

I’ve noticed this, too. I think it is very sad that you are dismissed by the music industry so easily, just because of your hits on Spotify or if you “don’t fit in you won’t sell”. I think this is also part of the reason he minimized the number of countries he promotes himself, although with the Revelation Tour it seemed he wanted to rekindle the contact again to countries he hasn’t been in years (for example the NL).

But what Mika said about it, that Jakub's voice makes you feel more like in a brothel than in a church

This made me laugh, I’m hoping Jakub appreciated that 🤣 he seems like a chill guy. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mellody said:

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I love his hair shorter with the random curl on top. But maybe I just say this from a drawing perspective. Those curls are SO MUCH WORK 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

. I wonder if musicians truly get more money from a CD or mp3 as opposed to streaming?

As he writes AND performs his songs, it might be ok, but idk - from what I read, writers get nearly nothing, and it's not much for performers either, you need millions of streams every month to make a good living from it. I'm sure you can find somewhere on Google how often you'd need to stream a song/album for it to create the same revenue for the artist as buying an mp3/CD. Also I think it's different whether you use the free or paid version of Spotify, I only use the free one, because it's not worth it for me.

As for storage space, I recommend buying an external hard drive - once you go to Mika gigs and film a bit (or download other people's clips to remember the special gig moments), you might need it anyway. :teehee:

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I know they make the most money when you go to their shows and well, that impossible at the moment, unfortunately..

Also merch, and he certainly could do more with that, also these days. He also could do streaming gigs and make money with that, he showed it's possible with I❤Beirut. I don't know why he's so focused on song sales & streams... well in fact HE says it's not about charts or streams, and he's absolutely right with that, that's why I was wondering why this topic touches him that way although he knows it's not what counts. :dunno: 

Is it because people keep telling him to do more promo? I just think it'd be nice for him to make money based on his music instead of him doing stuff like Xfactor or The Voice again and again. Sure, also merch is more based on his fame than on his music (tho it relates to the album), but then, so is him judging in the talent shows. I suppose these are more convenient, more money for less work - and maybe they get him new fans who buy (or stream) his music and more chances to do interviews. And I suppose that is also the, or at least one reason why he concentrates on France and Italy, he might just get the most options there, *because* of the talent shows. I don't know how many interview requests he gets from other countries when he's not touring, or at least releasing an album. Maybe these things also are based on music sales and streams. So at least the interviews we do get, although we always need a translator, aren't superficial but really interesting. Imagine a German journalist interviewing him, they'd have no idea who he is. And might end up asking whether he has a girlfriend. :facepalm: :lmfao:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

That’s cool, what part of the Rhine did you see that? We live along the Rhine and it is a true happening, absolutely stunning - even as an adult (I didn’t get to experience it until I moved to Germany in my late 20’s) 

Ah, I forgot to answer that. All I remember about the area is that we boarded the boat in Rüdesheim, does that answer your question? :teehee:

• 5 months later...