Tech Support 2021

dcdeb

Creating a new spot for you all to post any tech issues you might have with the forum here. Hopefully you won't have any, but if you do...

OK, I'll start.

You may have noticed that Instagram and Facebook both changed the way you can embed their posts here on the forum recently, and so things don't show up, or they don't always display properly. Well, Invision (the platform this forum is hosted on) will be issuing a fix for that very soon. So stay tuned!

They're also looking into supporting TikTok embeds. :crossed:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• dcdeb pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed a while ago in the Comprehensive Lyrics list that the link for Porcelain takes you to the top of page 4 when the lyrics are actually at the end of page 3. 

I thought it could just be a glitch at first because I was still using my old phone at the time, however this still happens when using my new phone too. Can someone check this out please? 

43 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I noticed a while ago in the Comprehensive Lyrics list that the link for Porcelain takes you to the top of page 4 when the lyrics are actually at the end of page 3. 

I thought it could just be a glitch at first because I was still using my old phone at the time, however this still happens when using my new phone too. Can someone check this out please? 

I'll fix the link, CJ. Not sure what happened there. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

FYI, if anyone is having trouble with the SEARCH function on the site -- our Tech Support people are re-indexing the site, which is going to take a while. Until then, searches may be incomplete, or may not return any search results at all. Thanks in advance for you patience!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Is there any way to turn off notifications when people react to posts and just keep notifications for comments and mentions? 

I've been wondering this too. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Is there any way to turn off notifications when people react to posts and just keep notifications for comments and mentions? 

On 5/15/2021 at 7:54 PM, Hero said:

I've been wondering this too. 

Sorry, I've looked into this and it seems the things are intertwined -- there's no way for me to separate notifications for mentions from other interactions with your posts.  :dunno:

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, has something happened to the site? Last night I couldn't get access for a while, and today I've got a note in my account screen that wasn't there before, telling me my current rank is 'newbie'. :huh: Has there been an upgrade?

8 minutes ago, Hero said:

Hi, has something happened to the site? Last night I couldn't get access for a while, and today I've got a note in my account screen that wasn't there before, telling me my current rank is 'newbie'. :huh: Has there been an upgrade?

I just realized that and I was  :shocked: something has changed :dunno_grin:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hero said:

Yes, I ran a software upgrade last night, and apparently it changed something with the rankings. :doh:

I'll have to read up a bit and see what I can do to fix this, otherwise... well, we're all newbies again! LOL!

• Haha 6

37 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Yes, I ran a software upgrade last night, and apparently it changed something with the rankings. :doh:

I'll have to read up a bit and see what I can do to fix this, otherwise... well, we're all newbies again! LOL!

It's gone! You did it! :clap:

6 minutes ago, Hero said:

It's gone! You did it! :clap:

LOL! Well, I got rid of the Newbie rankings... however, it looks like the new software has added a way to "game-ify" the forum.

That is, instead of awarding rankings like "Newbie" and "Mika Obsessive" and "Ultimate Mika Fan" based on number of posts, we would be awarded POINTS based on various actions. For example, 1 point for a post, 1 point for a reply, 1 point for a status update, etc. Then you would be assigned a rank as you reached a predetermined level.

100 points = Mika Obsessive

300 points = Ultimate Mika Fan

1000 points = Mika Guru

etc.

Then the moderators could also assign badges based on different criteria.

I'm not sure how you all feel about that -- do you want to game-ify the forum? I'm afraid it just creates an artificial status thing, or creates competition. But if you all want to try it, I can turn it back on and we can see how it goes. :dunno:

• Like 3

Also, I wanted to add, the since I did the upgrade, please let me know if you see any other quirks or glitches.

All the posts are being re-indexed, so the search function may not be working 100% correctly until that process finishes.

There are also some new features that have been added, that I'll write about as soon as I can.

• Like 3

I'm experiencing a glitch at the moment where every time I click to react to a post I get the message "something went wrong", it takes a couple of minutes but then I can click the reaction I want, also sometimes when switching between threads I get logged out.

Personally I'm not a fan of game-ifying the forum either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

LOL! Well, I got rid of the Newbie rankings... however, it looks like the new software has added a way to "game-ify" the forum.

That is, instead of awarding rankings like "Newbie" and "Mika Obsessive" and "Ultimate Mika Fan" based on number of posts, we would be awarded POINTS based on various actions. For example, 1 point for a post, 1 point for a reply, 1 point for a status update, etc. Then you would be assigned a rank as you reached a predetermined level.

1000 points = Mika Guru

etc.

I'm not sure how you all feel about that -- do you want to game-ify the forum? I'm afraid it just creates an artificial status thing, or creates competition. But if you all want to try it, I can turn it back on and we can see how it goes. :dunno:

Thank you Deb. 

I agree, I'm not a fan of gamify-ing the forum, I think those things can breed unhealthy competition and that's not why we're here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dcdeb said:

1000 points = Mika Guru

etc.

Reminds me a bit of Mika's Magic Numbers. :teehee: Which ended somewhat in chaos. :dunno_grin:

But seems it's still not possible to embed IG posts, without going via the source code. :(

• Like 3

OK right this very moment the forum is becoming very hard to use. I'm being logged out almost every 10 seconds. I can't seem to follow threads. When quoting someone else the response box not only quotes that person but also every other answer in that thread! Takes me refreshing the page a few times to sort this. Also my Mika rank has completely gone!

40 minutes ago, mellody said:

Reminds me a bit of Mika's Magic Numbers. :teehee: Which ended somewhat in chaos. :dunno_grin:

But seems it's still not possible to embed IG posts, without going via the source code. :(

Yes, I've been checking on the Invision support forum and everyone seems upset about that. Guess we need to wait for another "bug fix". :bash:

10 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

OK right this very moment the forum is becoming very hard to use. I'm being logged out almost every 10 seconds. I can't seem to follow threads. When quoting someone else the response box not only quotes that person but also every other answer in that thread! Takes me refreshing the page a few times to sort this. Also my Mika rank has completely gone!

@TinyLove_CJ the rank thing is what I was talking about before. They have gone to a system where your rank is based on "points" rather than number of posts. I don't think we want to go that route. I'll see if there's some other way to include ranks or badges or something.

What browser are you using? Firefox, Chrome, etc? or if you're on your phone are you on an iPhone or Android? I'm not having those sorts of issues on my desktop yet, I'll try on my phone and see what happens.

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Nah, please not! That's too much of a competition then I fear...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Yes, I've been checking on the Invision support forum and everyone seems upset about that. Guess we need to wait for another "bug fix". :bash:

@TinyLove_CJ the rank thing is what I was talking about before. They have gone to a system where your rank is based on "points" rather than number of posts. I don't think we want to go that route. I'll see if there's some other way to include ranks or badges or something.

What browser are you using? Firefox, Chrome, etc? or if you're on your phone are you on an iPhone or Android? I'm not having those sorts of issues on my desktop yet, I'll try on my phone and see what happens.

My phone (android + chrome browser) battery went right after seeing your message! So I decided to spend a bit of time on my laptop which uses Edge browser, I had the same problem with reacting to posts as before, I got the "something went wrong" message but it didn't log me out and everything else was fine.

Right now I'm back to using my phone and everything seems to be working fine!