Changing YouTube artwork for Grace Kelly video

Hero

I'm curious if anyone else has seen the changing artwork for the Grace Kelly video on YouTube, and if we know anything about it? There have been several different pics over the last few weeks. I saw this 'garden festival' one today (apologies for low quality, the new images don't appear when I search on mobile so I had to take a photo of my laptop screen:doh:) :

IMG_20210326_123335.thumb.jpg.17097895d23a38981962498982c2b031.jpgIMG_20210326_121600.thumb.jpg.990b440d6ab3252063bb3036756cb904.jpg

Maybe to welcome spring? It's a static shot on the screen while the song plays. Other images I saw included a group of diverse women with the word 'empowerment', (maybe for international women's day?) and one with a sparkly rainbow coloured background (maybe for Pride?). Anyone know about this? :dunno:

*sorry if this isn't the correct place, mods please move or delete if needed*

I don't see them on his channel either, and they don't appear if I search specifically for GK, but if I search for another song they sometimes show in the list of recommendations. :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Hero said:

I don't see them on his channel either, and they don't appear if I search specifically for GK, but if I search for another song they sometimes show in the list of recommendations. :dunno: 

That's weird

35 minutes ago, krysady said:

That's weird

Yup. I wondered if there was something dodgy about it, if it was a spoof to lure you to a scam site, but it seems to go to the official channel, plus the artwork seems too good for that. I'll keep an eye out and add any others here too. 

• Like 1

OK, it's the Grace Kelly link.

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group

Grace Kelly· MIKA

Garden Festival ℗ 2006 UMG Recordings, Inc.

Released on: 2021-03-26

Producer, Studio Personnel,

Associated Performer, Producer, Mixer, Drums: Greg Wells Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Joe Chiccarelli Associated Performer, Keyboards, Vocals: MIKA Associated Performer, Guitar: Lyle Workman Composer Lyricist: MIKA Composer Lyricist: Jodi Marr Horovitz Composer Lyricist: Dan Warner Composer Lyricist: John Merchant

Auto-generated by YouTube.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Auto-generated by YouTube

What does that mean? It is some sort of settings where you have to enable this auto-generated search on YT? I never saw this before :dunno:

8 minutes ago, krysady said:

What does that mean? It is some sort of settings where you have to enable this auto-generated search on YT? I never saw this before :dunno:

Sometimes YouTube reminder sent me Mika videos.

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group

Released on: 2020-09-11

Auto-generated by YouTube.

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

Nice detective work Eriko, thank you!

That's weird though. If it's a link, why wouldn't it just show the standard image, and play the video as normal? Where are the art/images coming from? 

I freely admit I know nothing about YouTube! 

• Like 2

Periodically Universal puts out compilation playlists or albums that include one of Mika's songs. When that happens, it seems that YouTube automatically uploads all the songs from the playlist/album again with the new artwork.

You'll see it again here:

We've seen it a number of times over the past few years, and it always freaks us out, thinking Mika went and released new music without telling us! :lol3:

Alas, it's just old music with a new face. I have no idea why they do it that way. :dunno_grin:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Aha, mystery solved! Thank you @dcdeb :flowers2: 

Good to know it's official and above-board at least. I guess different artwork could draw in new listeners? Although it's too random to be effective. Pesky compilation lists confusing us! <_<

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, krysady said:

Do you get these auto-generated videos only on YouTube Music app, or also on your laptop/computer ?

I'm not using the app, not sure if it's different. They appear on both my laptop and my phone. 

13 minutes ago, Hero said:

I'm not using the app, not sure if it's different. They appear on both my laptop and my phone. 

I read that that it's a feature of YouTube Music only and I thought maybe that's why it doesn't appear on my laptop...  So it must be another reason :dunno:

I can't see any pattern to it. On my phone I'm logged into the Google and YT accounts by default. On my laptop I'm not logged in to the accounts. I think it's just automated marketing releases for the compilation discs. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Here's the latest change for Grace Kelly on Youtube :naughty:

_20240127_100540.thumb.JPG.c06858a1d7c82fe1b036c64ce6f1e1a5.JPG

Not sure Grace Kelly is the right song for that! But maybe we can all start a new trend?! :teehee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Here's the latest change for Grace Kelly on Youtube :naughty:

_20240127_100540.thumb.JPG.c06858a1d7c82fe1b036c64ce6f1e1a5.JPG

Not sure Grace Kelly is the right song for that! But maybe we can all start a new trend?! :teehee:

Came to say this last night but couldn't find the right thread. :lol3: Made me giggle, he said in interview he feared being caught dancing naked in his living room. Thought he might be trying to give everyone the same idea. :teehee:

• Haha 2