23-24 October 2021: Mika @ Philharmonie de Paris - ticket talk

Mikasister

3 hours ago, krysady said:

Sorry, I have no idea :doh:  Anyway, I hope you have time to get a new one till Paris, the entire process sounds pretty complicated.

Thanks! Apparently it takes about 10 weeks when applying online, or there is a pricier fast-track option, but you can't use this to replace, only to renew. 

British admin...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

This sounds like so much work! Might as well get a passport then :aah:

:naughty: Honestly, it's not been an issue for a while. The bank card and bills were something I had anyway. The one time I needed a solicitor's confirmation, it was straightforward, done very quickly and cheaply. It helped that I had my birth certificate and a staff card with my photo on. 

But yes, now I'm not in the gloom and wanting to travel again, a new passport is definitely required, and will be useful for these things too. 

• Like 2

Since we are talking outfits and fitness and fitting into our favorite evening wear again: I have one thing on my bucket list and that is to run along the Seine. @Erikand I will take our running gear with us and will do just that. 

Who wants to join? Of course we go for a croissant and a coffee afterwards, we’re not totally crazy :lol3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Since we are talking outfits and fitness and fitting into our favorite evening wear again: I have one thing on my bucket list and that is to run along the Seine. @Erikand I will take our running gear with us and will do just that. 

Who wants to join? Of course we go for a croissant and a coffee afterwards, we’re not totally crazy :lol3:

Sorry, but running is definitely among my least fave sports and in the last few years I've learned to accept that instead of trying to push myself to do it because it's "so good and so easy and for free". 😅 But I might take a walk instead (if the weather is ok) and join you for the croissant. :lol3:

Btw I've now booked the Mercure as well - flexible rate, so I can cancel if I change my mind, but I don't think I will, it's really a perfect location!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mellody said:

Sorry, but running is definitely among my least fave sports and in the last few years I've learned to accept that instead of trying to push myself to do it because it's "so good and so easy and for free". 😅 But I might take a walk instead (if the weather is ok) and join you for the croissant. :lol3:

I will be happy to join you for a walk if you don't mind 😉 and of course for a croissant 😁😁 

• Like 5

On 5/30/2021 at 1:02 AM, Mikasister said:

So I'm going to buy a fancy umbrella instead of a fancy dress ;)

On 5/30/2021 at 2:36 AM, Kumazzz said:

an umbrella for you.

:mika1:

index.jpg.0b5fbee2e18e5af42aa76c2d39081baa.jpg

Ups but how is it possible I didnt remember that I already have a fancy umbrella :doh::naughty:

20210531_182927.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I'm ok to run if the weather is good , but maybe rather at "la vilette canal" instead of the Seine (quite dangerous and polluted)

• Like 3

I'm questioning a bit my hotel choice, I wanted a hotel near the venue but now I've read that the Pantin area isn't the best neighborhood to stay and that some people didn't feel safe there... Also it's quite far away from the sights. So now I'm considering if I should rather book a hotel that's closer to the city center and travel a bit to the venue. Does anybody here have experience with this part of the city? 

54 minutes ago, carafon said:

I'm ok to run if the weather is good , but maybe rather at "la vilette canal" instead of the Seine (quite dangerous and polluted)

Oh! We will go off of you recommendation, that sounds good, too! 
The most important thing: on the way back, is there a good boulangerie pour une croissant et un cafe? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mellody said:

To be honest, I hate running... but I’m addicted to the feeling afterwards and all the other benefits it apparently has :lol3: 

8 hours ago, mellody said:

Btw I've now booked the Mercure as well - flexible rate, so I can cancel if I change my mind, but I don't think I will, it's really a perfect location!

Awesome! So I can actually knock on your door once I’m done showering to pick you up for that croissant :aah: 

Aaaaaand you get to wear those heels-that-are-uncomfortable-for-longer-stretches-but-not-when-it’s-a-seated-concert

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I'm questioning a bit my hotel choice, I wanted a hotel near the venue but now I've read that the Pantin area isn't the best neighborhood to stay and that some people didn't feel safe there... Also it's quite far away from the sights. So now I'm considering if I should rather book a hotel that's closer to the city center and travel a bit to the venue. Does anybody here have experience with this part of the city? 

I think many MFCers stay close to the venue. In case you feel uncomfortable in a not as good neighbourhood (I honestly don’t know about that, maybe someone else here knows?), it’s always better to stay close to people you “know”? It’s also easier to find someone to travel with, so you don’t have to be alone, bad neighbourhood or not. Something to consider maybe? 

10 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

To be honest, I hate running... but I’m addicted to the feeling afterwards and all the other benefits it apparently has :lol3: 

Awesome! So I can actually knock on your door once I’m done showering to pick you up for that croissant :aah: 

Aaaaaand you get to wear those heels-that-are-uncomfortable-for-longer-stretches-but-not-when-it’s-a-seated-concert

Mercure Philarmonie or Mercure port de pantin? I booked Mercure Philarmonie too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I think many MFCers stay close to the venue. In case you feel uncomfortable in a not as good neighbourhood (I honestly don’t know about that, maybe someone else here knows?), it’s always better to stay close to people you “know”? It’s also easier to find someone to travel with, so you don’t have to be alone, bad neighbourhood or not. Something to consider maybe? 

Yeah I know that most of us want to stay near the venue but as I don't have anybody to travel with, I'm not sure if a suburb area is a place I would feel comfortable to stay. Also I'll probably arrive late on Friday so I don't want to feel unsafe while arriving to the hotel at night. 

29 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Oh! We will go off of you recommendation, that sounds good, too! 
The most important thing: on the way back, is there a good boulangerie pour une croissant et un cafe? 

I don't know , I just know that there are many "cafés" on the boulevard next to the Philarmonie

But of course don't know if ther will be possible to go in 

48 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

Pantin and the northern part of Paris is not the bestplace  of the town , but I sometimes stayed there with friends and it was ok . To come back alone is another story , I probably would not try .

Next to the "Mercure" you can find an "Ibis" which is cheaper and you probably would be able to cancell if you book with "booking.com" for example

A bit further but inside Paris you can find a good youth hostel with dormitories called "Générator" . Again with the Covid , not sure if it's open or not.

In général be carefull with low prices hotels in Paris . They may be dirty .....or worse...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, carafon said:

Pantin and the northern part of Paris is not the bestplace  of the town , but I sometimes stayed there with friends and it was ok . To come back alone is another story , I probably would not try .

Next to the "Mercure" you can find an "Ibis" which is cheaper and you probably would be able to cancell if you book with "booking.com" for example

A bit further but inside Paris you can find a good youth hostel with dormitories called "Générator" . Again with the Covid , not sure if it's open or not.

In général be carefull with low prices hotels in Paris . They may be dirty .....or worse...

Tbh, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a shared room (and/or bathroom) with many strangers, that's why I'm looking for hotels but most of them offer only double rooms which makes it even more expensive for one person. Even the room I've booked so far (but I can still cancel it without fees) is a double/twin room. The few single room options I've found near the venue were quite awful. And I do look at the ratings on booking.com and ignore everything with a rating under at least 7. 

Edited by giraffeandy

18 minutes ago, carafon said:

I don't know , I just know that there are many "cafés" on the boulevard next to the Philarmonie

But of course don't know if ther will be possible to go in 

I just looked on Google maps and it looks really good there! And I don’t mind doing takeaway and possible bring it back to the hotel. It will be a nice walk, too! And I won’t be wearing my heels then :aah:

32 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

Yeah I know that most of us want to stay near the venue but as I don't have anybody to travel with, I'm not sure if a suburb area is a place I would feel comfortable to stay. Also I'll probably arrive late on Friday so I don't want to feel unsafe while arriving to the hotel at night. 

You’re probably worried about the travel towards the hotel I assume? And how late is late? 
Since there are many young travelers who have the same kind of worry, maybe there is a way to connect and also arrange for a group to pick you up at point X? I’m just brainstorming here. Would you feel more comfortable with that? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lormare73 said:

Mercure Philarmonie or Mercure port de pantin? I booked Mercure Philarmonie too. 

Philharmonie La Villette.

For the Zenith concert in 2015 I was staying at the Ibis Budget near Gare de Pantin, I had to go there alone at night and that wasn't very pleasant. Nothing happened, but the area just didn't feel comfortable. The hotel itself was fine, I don't remember any negative things about it, but I just stayed for 1 night. I liked being close to the RER station, where I had to leave from in the early morning. So while the Ibis is in walking distance, at night I'd recommend taking a taxi to get there.

Also be aware that the big street right next to the park & venue can't be crossed, it's somewhat like a highway. There are passages under the street but that was the worst part of the way back to the hotel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

Tbh, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a shared room (and/or bathroom) with many strangers, that's why I'm looking for hotels but most of them offer only double rooms which makes it even more expensive for one person. Even the room I've booked so far (but I can still cancel it without fees) is a double/twin room. The few single room options I've found near the venue were quite awful. And I do look at the ratings on booking.com and ignore everything with a rating under at least 7. 

I know @Tina78 was thinking about renting an Airbnb closer to the city center, and she's looking for people to share, maybe you can team up with her? (brumml on Instagram)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

You’re probably worried about the travel towards the hotel I assume? And how late is late? 
Since there are many young travelers who have the same kind of worry, maybe there is a way to connect and also arrange for a group to pick you up at point X? I’m just brainstorming here. Would you feel more comfortable with that? 

I still don't know but I was checking the possible flights and I could arrive either at 22:35 (CDG) or I could take the morning flight and arrive at 10:15 (Orly), both on Friday... I haven't decided yet which option is better. By day I'm not that scared but being at midnight in an unknown suburb area, looking for a hotel, feels a bit scary... :sweatdrop:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mellody said:

I know @Tina78 was thinking about renting an Airbnb closer to the city center, and she's looking for people to share, maybe you can team up with her? (brumml on Instagram)

I already thought I'm the only one who considered to use Airbnb to sleep in Pairs. :lmfao:

But I haven't yet thought about where I want to sleep in the city. :original:

I would also consider to share with someone, @giraffeandy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I already thought I'm the only one who considered to use Airbnb to sleep in Pairs. :lmfao:

But I haven't yet thought about where I want to sleep in the city. :original:

I would also consider to share with someone, @giraffeandy.

I was also considering Airbnb but as I didn't know if I'd found enough people to share (or any people at all :teehee:), I was searching rather on booking.com. But Airbnb would be a good option too, if there are more people interested in sharing an appartment. I suppose most of us are staying for 3 nights in Paris? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giraffeandy said:

I was also considering Airbnb but as I didn't know if I'd found enough people to share (or any people at all :teehee:), I was searching rather on booking.com. But Airbnb would be a good option too, if there are more people interested in sharing an appartment. I suppose most of us are staying for 3 nights in Paris? 

Probably two or three nights, I'm not sure yet.

12 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I still don't know but I was checking the possible flights and I could arrive either at 22:35 (CDG) or I could take the morning flight and arrive at 10:15 (Orly), both on Friday... I haven't decided yet which option is better. By day I'm not that scared but being at midnight in an unknown suburb area, looking for a hotel, feels a bit scary... :sweatdrop:

I stayed in the same hotel than Karin a couple of times and came back late with friends , and it was ok . But there is nothing but the "city of sciences" to visit .And  unless you come back at night with a taxi or with friends ,I think it's better to stay in Paris rather than in Pantin . The 19th arrondissement is ok and not far away from the venue. Not very far away from " Gare du nord" if you need to travel with the RER to Roissy airport .

• Thanks 1