2021 - Mika @ Philharmonie de Paris, 23 and 24 October

mellody

1 minute ago, holdingyourdrink said:

@Priscathose are a lot of thoughts :lol3: and I thought I had an overactive brain 

Oh, my brain is working all the time. Not only good things come out of it. :doh:

3 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I was planning on taking the car at first, but then figured the train is much faster and doesn’t require me to look and pay for parking. Also, the prices for train tickets (when I bought them a month ago) were really a good deal. 

Yes, parking is the problem. :yes:

I have to plan everything in August at the latest. After all, I don't want to sleep on the street and it's even forbidden to sleep in the car in Paris. :lol3:

I've booked my hotel but not the travel or the outfit yet. :teehee: So it's not like you're *that* far back, Prisca. :lol: And I've only booked the hotel early because I prefer a certain hotel and I want the flexible rate anyway due to Covid, so knowing that I can change it if I change my mind helps. 😅 Otherwise I'm a bit undecided as well. Car isn't an option for me, I hate taking longer trips by car. In the train at least I can move around and surf on the internet / watch videos, and a flight wouldn't be that long. Right now I tend towards taking the train, although it takes longer, is more expensive and less reliable than a flight, but I don't have to watch my luggage size / weight and I just find it more comfortable. :dunno_grin: 

But maybe I should book that soon too, we wanted to take the train to Italy 4 weeks from now for our family holiday and wanted to wait with booking for the details of my uncle's birthday celebration - and now that we have that, the train can't be booked online anymore. :facepalm: I'll ask at the travel center today, maybe it's still possible there, but I fear we might have to go by car. :rolleyes: Sadly flights to Venice aren't cheaper than the train, it'd be over 1000€ for the whole family! :doh:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mellody said:

So it's not like you're *that* far back, Prisca. :lol: 

Oh, then I'm relieved that it's not just me who hasn't planned the trip yet. :lol3:

Maybe I should try out my teleporter. 🤔

• Haha 3

On 7/29/2021 at 2:47 AM, Emily2b said:

I was actually thinking about the eurostar as I think its cheaper and I hate flying so a win win! Plus I just checked and since Flybee went under there are no direct flights from Cardiff to Paris, I would have to stop over in Amsterdam which could be quite fun but with covid could be a nightmare! So I guess I will probably have to go from England.. I hope the rules are clearer by october!!

The good thing with Eurostar is that you'd arrive directly "Gare du nord " , not far away from the Philarmonie .

Along with the sanitary rules I hope there won't be strikes or yellow vest contestations . 

Edited by carafon
  • Like 4

I've still got to decide what to wear, along with booking travel and finding accommodation, so we're in similar situations. 

Travel - easiest route for me is by train, I can go from my town direct to London and transfer to the Eurostar directly to Paris. I need to check the luggage, but think it's less restricted than flying. 

Accommodation - I'd be interested in  sharing an Aparthotel or Airbnb, but don't want to confirm until I know I have a passport, as I don't want to let anyone down by having to drop out. Otherwise I think I'd look for a hotel closer to the centre, and get a travel pass or even a taxi to/from the venue. 

Clothes - I'm waiting for the Autumn/Winter stock to hit the shops, the clothes will be more suitable for Paris in October. If I wore the stuff available now I'd be freezing! :lol3:

So as always with me, it's going to be a last minute rush to get sorted. :doh:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hero said:

So as always with me, it's going to be a last minute rush to get sorted. :doh:

It's often the same for me...  because if I can't decide and wait long enough, there won't be so many options anymore, which makes the decision easier. 😅

• Haha 2

Just now, mellody said:

It's often the same for me...  because if I can't decide and wait long enough, there won't be so many options anymore, which makes the decision easier. 😅

I knew there was a logic to the madness! :lmfao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't have an accommodation either, only the plane ticket and clothes... :naughty: But I'm also thinking of booking a nice hotel close to the center, I just haven't done it yet. Maybe I shouldn't wait anymore, the cancellation is free (48 hours before arrival) and the hotel seems nice, I think I won't find a better one even though it is a bit more pricey than planned. :teehee:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hero said:

Accommodation - I'd be interested in  sharing an Aparthotel or Airbnb, but don't want to confirm until I know I have a passport, as I don't want to let anyone down by having to drop out. Otherwise I think I'd look for a hotel closer to the centre, and get a travel pass or even a taxi to/from the venue. 

This could be interesting. :thumb_yello:

Wouldn't have to be so close to the Philharmonie and you wouldn't have to walk home alone at night. I might be interested. :yes:

12 minutes ago, Hero said:

So as always with me, it's going to be a last minute rush to get sorted.

I wasn't like that before, but I'm becoming more like that too. :doh:

You are not alone. :hug:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hero said:

Otherwise I think I'd look for a hotel closer to the centre, and get a travel pass or even a taxi to/from the venue. 

If your hotel would be by chance relatively close to mine, would you be interested in sharing a taxi from the venue? The hotel I was interested in is located in the 5th arrondissement but really close to the 6th one and the 4th (and 1st) are just over the river so maybe if you would consider a hotel in these areas, we could travel together (even if you'd prefer the travel pass, I'd feel better if I could travel with someone else after the gigs).

Yes, I know you haven't decided yet. :biggrin2:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

If your hotel would be by chance relatively close to mine, would you be interested in sharing a taxi from the venue? The hotel I was interested in is located in the 5th arrondissement but really close to the 6th one and the 4th (and 1st) are just over the river so maybe if you would consider a hotel in these areas, we could travel together (even if you'd prefer the travel pass, I'd feel better if I could travel with someone else after the gigs).

Yes, I know you haven't decided yet. :biggrin2:

Absolutely, I'd be happy to, no need for any of us to be alone. :group_hug:Looks like a good choice of hotels in those areas too! 

Have you definitely decided on a hotel then? I know you previously were thinking of sharing. I had a quick look at Airbnb, there are some nice places but they all state 'no parties' so I'm not sure if a group of MFC’ers would be accepted. (It's not like we're on a hen/stag do). 

Although there was muttering of a pyjama party at the Mercure which might be worth crashing. :teehee: :lmfao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hero said:

Have you definitely decided on a hotel then? I know you previously were thinking of sharing. I had a quick look at Airbnb, there are some nice places but they all state 'no parties' so I'm not sure if a group of MFC’ers would be accepted. (It's not like we're on a hen/stag do). 

No, it just seemed complicated as most people already booked the Mercure and some people are also afraid to share an appartment due to Covid so I haven't found enough people interested in Airbnb... That's why I rather chose a hotel, I didn't want to rely on someone else. But I can still change my plans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

But I’m a planner… I rather have those things taken care of as fast as I can, so it’s gone from my todo list. I am a huge procrastinator with other things, so it evens out 😉

Same, I'm a huge planner when it comes to Mika gigs but an even bigger procrastinator when it comes to my diploma thesis for example... :facepalm:

• Haha 2

Well, since we're at the accomodations chats, the only thing I'm sure about is I will take train, since it's more easy, cheaper and fast. Just have to take a direct line, then metro/taxi, and there we go. 

But for the hotel, and for the clothes, I have nothing... Covid is there, I don't prepare too early because of that... :unsure:

• Sad 1

It is interesting to read where everyone is with planning, with the main concern in the back of the mind being: what if it will be cancelled? 

I am concerned about this as well, but just a tiny tiny tiny bit, because I have planned and booked everything already. Tickets of course, accommodation, transport and yes, even outfits (from shoes to dress to bag to accessories!). 
The reason why: I firmly believe we will see eachother in October. And I believe in positive reinforcement. It went even as far as already having reserved a hotel room the very same day (the same hour!) as the dates and venue were announced :biggrin2: I think I can safely say I was the first to book a room. (Or definitely in the top 5, in case there are others as crazy as I am :lol3:)

Maybe I’m naive, maybe I’m a meticulous planner, but one thing I know: I can’t wait to see you all. Just get on with planning everyone!! It WILL happen!!! 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

It is interesting to read where everyone is with planning, with the main concern in the back of the mind being: what if it will be cancelled? 

I'm not that worried, I mean of course it would be a huge disappointment but regarding the planning, I can cancel or change the hotel reservation, I can also change the dates for the plane ticket (although it's not possible to cancel it, but I can change the passenger as well so it's quite flexible) and the gig ticket itself – well, if it won't happen, there'll be either another date or cancellation (please NO :pray:)...

At this point, I don't think that it would take place if the situation would be that bad that I couldn't travel to France at all. Since I'm vaccinated, I feel a bit more optimistic about travelling. Of course, I'm still cautious and I wear my mask inside etc. But even though France is red again according to our "traveller map", I'm not as concerned as I used to be because next week I'm hopefully going to travel to another red country (that wasn't planned but it got red so fast as many countries all over Europe...) and I hope it'll be fine.

And yeah, the clothes & accessory – I have the same size since I was a teenager and I can still wear most of the things I bought for other occasions so it's still a good investment. :biggrin2:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Don’t you brag :lol3: not everyone is that lucky :facepalm:

:lol3: As an adult I think the smallest I've been was a 14 (UK size) and that was some time ago! These days it's big belly, big hips, big boobs, big bum. :facepalm: 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hero said:

:lol3: As an adult I think the smallest I've been was a 14 (UK size) and that was some time ago! These days it's big belly, big hips, big boobs, big bum. :facepalm: 

As Mika says: Big girls are beautiful. :hug:

You forgot something: big heart. :yes:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I haven't booked anything yet because of that, especially being in the uk I feel there's more of a chance all the rules change and I can't go, but i'm tempted to book something soon just so I don't run out of options nearer the time!

34 minutes ago, Emily2b said:

I haven't booked anything yet because of that, especially being in the uk I feel there's more of a chance all the rules change and I can't go, but i'm tempted to book something soon just so I don't run out of options nearer the time!

Of course understandable! But what causes more panic: worrying about COVID or running out of options, I would definitely NOT want the latter :no: (not to mention it will only be more expensive when you approach the date!)

Also: the hotel can be cancelled up to 24 hours before without extra costs and the train ticket can be rescheduled up until 24 hours before, so that also makes it flexible in these times and less risky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Of course understandable! But what causes more panic: worrying about COVID or running out of options, I would definitely NOT want the latter :no: (not to mention it will only be more expensive when you approach the date!)

Also: the hotel can be cancelled up to 24 hours before without extra costs and the train ticket can be rescheduled up until 24 hours before, so that also makes it flexible in these times and less risky.

that is a very good point about it being more expensive nearer the time, I may have a look tonight and work out what's cheeper and maybe book something this week! I will just check wherever I book that I can cancel them without charge and then it should be fine!

• Like 4

On 7/31/2021 at 8:44 PM, holdingyourdrink said:

I am concerned about this as well, but just a tiny tiny tiny bit, because I have planned and booked everything already. Tickets of course, accommodation, transport and yes, even outfits (from shoes to dress to bag to accessories!). 
The reason why: I firmly believe we will see eachother in October. And I believe in positive reinforcement. It went even as far as already having reserved a hotel room the very same day (the same hour!) as the dates and venue were announced :biggrin2: I think I can safely say I was the first to book a room. (Or definitely in the top 5, in case there are others as crazy as I am :lol3:)

Maybe I’m naive, maybe I’m a meticulous planner, but one thing I know: I can’t wait to see you all. Just get on with planning everyone!! It WILL happen!!! 

I've book the hotel the 27 of April :roll1: And a few days ago I bought my flight tickets.

And I am as ready as you are, Michelle :thumb_yello:

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1