PRIDE 2021

dcdeb

13 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Finally someone said it! Say it louder Jae! 📣

I was actually annoyed when I saw him commenting on the Stonewall concert video the other day 😡

He is such an attention [censored] too like he so desperately wants to involve himself in everything. And on Twitter he likes every single tweet that mentions his name! Like that is a grown man with a family to care for... embarassing

• Like 1

Just now, Jaela said:

He is such an attention [censored] too like he so desperately wants to involve himself in everything. And on Twitter he likes every single tweet that mentions his name! Like that is a grown man with a family to care for... embarassing

Anyway this is not the Perez hate thread so i'll sush now sjsjsj

• Like 1

Over the next few days I'm going to share some LGBTQ+ resources on my Instagram (@cactimom_cj). Look out for this in my stories! 

(which I'm still getting to grips with 😅)

I'll also share them here! 

First off a UK based charity called Switchboard. 

They specifically help people within the LGBTQ+ community with any struggles they may be having. Switchboard also help families to accept their children with coming out. They're contactable every day of the week through their online chat and also over the phone. All their volunteers are also LGBTQ+, so they know what they're talking about! 

You can find all their information on their website here:

https://switchboard.lgbt/

• Like 4

Thanks @TinyLove_CJ

I saw your IG post about this and was going to share it here if you hadn't -- GMTA!

I also wanted to mention that I saw this the other day, and thought some might be interested in another way to celebrate "Pride at Home."

• Like 5

Thank @TinyLove_CJ. Even when you're not concerned yet (I suppose everybody will, one day or another) it's good to have the tools for helping your family and friends who could be LGBTQ+ and can need some help one day, or simply being really understood.  It's good to know those kinds of charity/informations sites... even if I would prefer its to not be needed anymore !

But in fact I thought I should uprade my  profile and add my pronouns. Because I realised not so far away from this day the importance it can have for LGBTQ+ people... So yes, even in 2021, Pride (and information) is REALLY useful ! 

• Like 4

On 6/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, dcdeb said:

It's a Sin on HBO: I just finished watching this series featuring Olly Alexander from the band Years and Years, and it just about broke my heart. Having lived through the "'80s AIDS epidemic" and losing several dear friends to this at-the-time always fatal disease, it dredged up a lot of memories. It's so worth the time to watch it, though.

If you're interrested on that subject may I suggest you a book called "the optimistics" from Rebecca Makkai ?

I was a student at the hospital and I remember  when had the first AIDS case and nobody knew how to cope with him 

Btw , here is "It's a sin"  playlist on Spotify

It's A Sin - playlist by It's A Sin | Spotify

Edited by carafon
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, carafon said:

If you're interrested on that subject may I suggest you a book called "the optimistics" from Rebecca Makkai ?

I was a student at the hospital and I remember  when had the first AIDS case and nobody knew how to cope with him 

Btw , here is "It's a sin"  playlist on Spotify

It's A Sin - playlist by It's A Sin | Spotify

Thanks, Jo, for both! I've actually been working on updating my Pride playlist on Spotify, might have to take a few ideas from this one!  :thumb_yello:

• Like 2

On my Instagram stories today I shared a little bit about the charitable service Shout.

This is their website:

https://giveusashout.org/

Shout is a UK* based charity that is available to contact for free by text. They are a mental health support charity but I wanted to share the information about them this pride month because they can help anyone within the LGBT+ community who may be struggling with absolutely anything. Whether it's being scared with coming out, facing discrimination, abuse or even relationship issues, Shout are there 24/7. 

There is no shame in seeking out help. I should know. Shout were amazing with me earlier on in the year when I was at my lowest. Thanks to them I got through it 😊.

*I am also going to look for international resources too!

• Like 4

Here I'm sharing the website for Center for Black Equity: 

https://centerforblackequity.org/

They're an international network (but I think they're based in the US), that aim for equal rights for all LGBT+ people of colour. They have resources that can help the black LGBT+ community with finances, getting a job, health and social care.

They also organise pride events all around the world, all their events for next year are listed on the website. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the updates, CJ.

I also wanted to share the link today for the Born This Way Foundation, which Indeed and Mika are supporting via his concert next week.

https://bornthisway.foundation/

Founded by Lady Gaga along with her mother, this organization "supports the mental health of young people and works with them to create a kinder and braver world." It looks like it would be a good resource.

I had heard about this foundation a while ago, but didn't know much about it until yesterday when I started reading. I really love their #BeKind initiative. I'll be looking at ways to support them more in the future.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Some more of the websites I've shared over on my Instagram:

Trans life line: Led by Trans people for Trans people. A call service for any problem someone might have.

https://translifeline.org/

Their hotline numbers:

US (877) 565-8860 or CAN (877) 330-6366

The Sylvia Rivera Law Project: Based in New York but I think they help the whole of the US.

https://srlp.org/

They help trans and non-binary people get free legal aid for discrimination cases. They also do employment and school workshops.

MindOut:

https://mindout.org.uk/

UK based charity offering mental health help to the LGBT+ community. All their volunteers are also LGBT+. Any contact is confidential and they too also organise workshops, community days and interactive online events.

It's been great helping out with MFC Pride, I'm glad people enjoyed the tour bus competition and hopefully next year will be even better! 👍🏻

Pride month may well remind us that we don't have to live with shame, but we don't need a month just for that. I feel pride every day, I love the community I'm part of and everyone in it! 🏳️‍🌈

🧡💛💚💙💜🤎🖤

• Like 5

I wanted to share a few rather significant pieces of news from the US that are closing out Pride Month in a big way.

First, US State Department has announced they will allow non-binary Americans to obtain a passport that accurately reflects their gender identity and ease the process for trans and other Americans in updating gender markers.

and also the Methodist church has voted to acknowledge same-sex marriages.

A post shared by PinkNews (@pink_news)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

and also the Methodist church has voted to acknowledge same-sex marriages.

You'd think I would have heard about this but this is the first I've heard of it and I'm so happy!

It's strange because I was only discussing same sex church weddings with my mum earlier on today and how the different sections of the church probably won't agree to it any time soon. I'm so pleased the Methodist church has taken the right step, hopefully other churches will follow suit. 

And it's great to hear about the US making it easier for people to change their gender on a passport! The gender neutral passport for the UK lost it's vote 2 years ago and there's been no development since then ☹.

• Like 2