Mika's collaboration with Indeed, June 2021

mellody

6 hours ago, mellody said:

Same, but I installed the free version of Spotify for this purpose. You can't listen to individual songs with that, only to playlists in shuffle mode or a few seconds of each song. But you can create and share a playlist.

Actually you can listen to the entire song and with no advertising on your laptop, at least this is how it works for me with free Spotify. And after you played the songs on your laptop, you can listen to them on your phone, probably they remain in your library in your account. The only difference is that on your phone it will play on shuffle mod, and get ads :wink2: 

You can try and tell me if it works.

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mellody said:

Damn, I missed it! :crybaby: Had no time yesterday. I hope they won't cut it too much for tomorrow's release. :tears: How long was it?

It was around 45 minutes and they will probably cut the beginning when they were preparing to start the recording, nothing very interesting. They only explained some technical stuff and that on the screen will remain just Mika and Paul, and that's all. Probably if they will cut something from the interview, I will remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, krysady said:

Actually you can listen to the entire song and with no advertising on your laptop, at least this is how it works for me with free Spotify. And after you played the songs on your laptop, you can listen to them on your phone, probably they remain in your library in your account. The only difference is that on your phone it will play on shuffle mod, and get ads :wink2: 

You can try and tell me if it works.

Yes, that's possible. I have Spotify installed on my Windows system, which I'm not using much anymore these days, and there it always was possible to listen to songs - I thought maybe they had changed it, as I haven't used Spotify for months. I might try if I feel like installing it on my notebook, but I'm in no hurry with it, lol!

About Mika's playlist, actually I didn't know most of these songs. I've looked up the lyrics for some, and most of them are no surprise to me as for how I see Mika - some are even quite similar to some of his own songs, regarding the statement they make.

I particularly like the lyrics for "I wish I knew how it would feel to be free" - I had often wondered what Mika means when he says he wants to be free, because that's a very subjective feeling that can mean something different for everyone. This song definitely gives me a better idea of how it might feel to him.

Also it was interesting to discover "Bein' green", another song I didn't know - it's actually by Kermit the Frog and of course in that context the "green" makes perfect sense, lol! I had first thought it might have something to do with jealousy, but it's rather about self-acceptance.

For those who have seen the interview already, did he talk about his song choices there?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Actually they talked about 5 songs chosen by Paul ( I think they missed one).

And what Mika was saying about his 22 songs is in the today's stories.

So just the bit about him imagining it to be a date? Lol that's funny, I thought they wanted to talk about each other's playlists and not just 45 minutes about the guy from indeed, haha! Oh well, Mika talking about music is good anyway. :wub2:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mellody said:

About Mika's playlist, actually I didn't know most of these songs. I've looked up the lyrics for some, and most of them are no surprise to me as for how I see Mika - some are even quite similar to some of his own songs, regarding the statement they make.

Yes, there were no surprises in the overall picture it painted, the song choices represented him well. I was surprised there was no Bowie on the list, but maybe that's more about pleasure and inspiration for him. 

19 minutes ago, mellody said:

Also it was interesting to discover "Bein' green", another song I didn't know

At first I thought "oh no, really? The kermit song?" But listening to the lyrics, I completely understood why he chose it. My reaction then was: "I so want him to cover this song!" :naughty: It's the sort of thing he'd have done on Stasera Casa Mika. 

Little Boxes was charmingly witty (and working at a university I have to say, yup...). Mashrou Leila absolutely rocked. I enjoyed Woodkid, and MNEK was naughty fun. And Nina Simone is always a pleasure. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hero said:

Yes, there were no surprises in the overall picture it painted, the song choices represented him well. I was surprised there was no Bowie on the list, but maybe that's more about pleasure and inspiration for him. 

At first I thought "oh no, really? The kermit song?" But listening to the lyrics, I completely understood why he chose it. My reaction then was: "I so want him to cover this song!" :naughty: It's the sort of thing he'd have done on Stasera Casa Mika. 

Little Boxes was charmingly witty (and working at a university I have to say, yup...). Mashrou Leila absolutely rocked. I enjoyed Woodkid, and MNEK was naughty fun. And Nina Simone is always a pleasure. 

Little Boxes really surprised me - I mean, it's one of those songs that was floating around when I was little that I really didn't understand until I got older, I just thought it was a silly song. Houses made of ticky-tacky? :dunno_grin: A lot of the other songs/artists he's mentioned before. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy hearing them, of course!  I so love Piel Canela -- I added it to a couple of my playlists after Mika played it in his IG stories last year. And the artists that were new to me -- especially Yasmine Hamdan, William Onyeabor and Rostam -- I'm sure will find their way to the next playlists I put together. I love when he shares playlists like this - I always find something new and interesting!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Little Boxes really surprised me - I mean, it's one of those songs that was floating around when I was little that I really didn't understand until I got older, I just thought it was a silly song.

I didn't know it, but reading the lyrics, it's about this kind of mediocrity that Mika always tries to avoid, even is scared of, as he once said in an interview a few years back. That's why it didn't surprise me to see it on his playlist.

The song by The Cure surprised me at first, but after doing a bit of research on it (I knew the song, the video was on MTV all the time when I was younger, but I never paid much attention to the lyrics), I think it's just in general about fears and how they can block you.

I must admit that there's only few songs on his playlist that I can relate to musically, that make me curious to listen to more of that artist. But as the point of the playlist is to get to know Mika better, indeed I think it describes him pretty well. Including the mysteries about him that I still don't understand, lol! But that's ok, that's also him.  :yes: The one I understand the least is that song by Yasmine Hamdan, I'm using a translator and still can't even understand the meaning of the lyrics. Maybe it just refers to the title, "Get it right", that's how I'm trying to make sense of it. :dunno_grin:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I love when he shares playlists like this - I always find something new and interesting!

Yes, it's great having an insight into songs and artists we might not have heard of otherwise. Or to be reminded of some we'd forgotten. Like with the music he played on the 'cooking with' instas. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Gossip and INXS. I'm so glad he included the Pata Pata song, I'd heard him sing a snippet of it on The Voice and was desperate to know what it was. I'd heard and enjoyed the Sam Brown songs before, but hadn't realised they were all sung by the same person! My fave 'new' song was Solo by Esteman, which is now on my regular playlist (plus the video is like a tourism trailer, stunning scenery). 

And he kept playing songs by some guy called Meeker, don't know if you've heard of him? Quite catchy, shows promise. :wink2: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mellody said:

I didn't know it, but reading the lyrics, it's about this kind of mediocrity that Mika always tries to avoid, even is scared of, as he once said in an interview a few years back. That's why it didn't surprise me to see it on his playlist.

Ah, that's interesting. I saw it as a criticism of society, expecting everyone to fit in, to go through a 'system' which moulds them into the same form, ensures they think the same way, and removes their quirks, dreams and individuality in the process. To me, that worked with the idea of being yourself, embracing your individuality, safeguarding your quirks and eccentricities and hopes, because they're part of what makes you, 'you'. As in his quote "Stay weird". 

Funny how everyone interprets songs differently. Which means he really chose well to give us the same overall picture of himself!

• Like 2

@Marit R. Nielsen I love your playlist! I love the Rihanna and Roxette choices and High Hopes by Panic! At the Disco is one of my favourite songs. Also that Lily Allen song is an excellent choice :teehee:, I listen to that a lot on a private playlist I have 😅

9 hours ago, Hero said:

Ah, that's interesting. I saw it as a criticism of society, expecting everyone to fit in, to go through a 'system' which moulds them into the same form, ensures they think the same way, and removes their quirks, dreams and individuality in the process. To me, that worked with the idea of being yourself, embracing your individuality, safeguarding your quirks and eccentricities and hopes, because they're part of what makes you, 'you'. As in his quote "Stay weird". 

Funny how everyone interprets songs differently. Which means he really chose well to give us the same overall picture of himself!

Yes, I saw that in the song as well what you describe, we might even mean the same thing - the mediocrity is the result of this system of making everyone fit in a box. It reminds me also of the "popstar factory" from 2007, that was part of the LICM promo and iirc also on the first DVD. I can't find it right now, @Kumazzz you might have a better idea where to look? :wink2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Yes, I saw that in the song as well what you describe, we might even mean the same thing - the mediocrity is the result of this system of making everyone fit in a box. It reminds me also of the "popstar factory" from 2007, that was part of the LICM promo and iirc also on the first DVD. I can't find it right now, @Kumazzz you might have a better idea where to look? :wink2:

Sorry I have no idea... :dunno:

16 hours ago, mellody said:

15 hours ago, Hero said:

Yes, I think you're both right -- the idea of all the houses being exactly the same and all the people being exactly the same, it's a concept he's spoken out against a lot.

The reason it surprised me is not because of the lyrics or the idea behind it, but because I felt it was a rather obscure old song. I thought, "how on earth did Mika ever hear that?" But when I mentioned it to my husband last night, he told me that it's actually the theme song for an old cable TV series called "Weeds." How my husband knew that, I have no idea, because we don't get Showtime (the cable network the show was on), and I'm pretty sure he's never watched it! :dunno_grin: 

5 hours ago, mellody said:

Of course we have it here on MFC in full, from way back in the day!

Grace Kelly Animation

Actually, in case you're interested in MFC history, it was posted on the very first day this website started, January 5, 2007, by the site founder!

• Like 5

I'm a little confused. Is the playlist meant to be songs that actually mean something to you, or just songs that describe you? Is it meant to be your life story, or who you are now? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hero said:

I'm a little confused. Is the playlist meant to be songs that actually mean something to you, or just songs that describe you? Is it meant to be your life story, or who you are now? 

I guess it can be a mixture of all of those things. If my playlist was my intire life story it would have been a lot longer though 😅, I chose songs that I have a connection with from the past and there's also a few songs that show my insecurities. All of them together give a picture of who I am.

And of course there's a few Mika songs in there, how could I not!? 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hero said:

I suppose what feels right to you. If Mika says his playlist is about an imaginary date, that's also a very individual approach, his personal choice of how he wants to describe his identity. My own playlist is many songs from the past that relate to things in my life that shaped my identity. I've just watched an interview from 2015 or 2016 yesterday where Mika said that songs and smells are alike, as in they trigger certain memories. And my playlist is a mix of songs that by itself trigger such memories to me, and/or the lyrics relate to something that is important to me or describes me. And at the same time, the order of the songs describes a little the story of my life, tho that's only secondary and some of the songs could as well be in a different order.

Btw, here's my playlist:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hero said:

I think that's all sort of the same thing, right? Songs that mean something to you describe you in some way. And in effect help tell who you are now, and how you got there. I think so, anyway.

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I guess it can be a mixture of all of those things. If my playlist was my intire life story it would have been a lot longer though 😅, I chose songs that I have a connection with from the past and there's also a few songs that show my insecurities. All of them together give a picture of who I am.

And of course there's a few Mika songs in there, how could I not!? 😁

Yes, I think your playlist can be whatever you want - I felt that the idea was to pretend that you are giving it to a stranger, or a co-worker, and you want them to know something about you. I chose songs that triggered specific memories for me, and tried to tell the story of my life that way, that's why I had such a hard time editing myself and ended up with 40 songs! I did set some parameters for myself -- only one song from each artist, for example, which is why I just have only one Mika song. Otherwise the last 15 songs would have all been Mika!

I've found it really interesting to see what everyone has put together, interesting to see our differences and our similarities, which I think is the underlying point of the whole exercise. If you haven't seen, I've been reposting all the playlists from Mika fans that I've seen on our MFC Instagram account, and have added them to our Instagram Story Highlights so we can go back and look at them later.

By the way, Mika never said he was going LIVE today on Instagram, did he? I never saw that if he did, but I noticed some people on Twitter who seem to be expecting that. I think whatever conversation we're going to get today on Indeed's Instagram is going to be some version of that Vimeo video that was floating around over the weekend, don't you all?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

By the way, Mika never said he was going LIVE today on Instagram, did he? I never saw that if he did, but I noticed some people on Twitter who seem to be expecting that. I think whatever conversation we're going to get today on Indeed's Instagram is going to be some version of that Vimeo video that was floating around over the weekend, don't you all?

I think people misunderstood this slide. Maybe  they took literally a word "conversation" as a live on Insta?

Some of them even were afraid to post their playlist because they don't speak English and what if Mika would like to talk to them during the live?

Anyway we are still waiting for the video.

image.thumb.png.e46b93b1baa9e5afab1541198352f726.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SilviaM said:

Here is the video they posted about 15 min ago ^_^

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQHDy2JrmsZ/?utm_medium=copy_link

Thanks for posting! I hoped they will fix the part with "he is currently working on his fourth album" on this final version :teehee:

Edited by krysady
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I think people misunderstood this slide. Maybe  they took literally a word "conversation" as a live on Insta?

Some of them even were afraid to post their playlist because they don't speak English and what if Mika would like to talk to them during the live?

Anyway we are still waiting for the video.

image.thumb.png.e46b93b1baa9e5afab1541198352f726.png

Hmm, OK. I didn't interpret it that way at all -- must be a language thing. Maybe he should have said "between me..." instead of "with me".

Anyhow, yes, the video is finally online. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1