Mika’s Languages

BeccaStardust

So I know there’s a few topics like this but they all seemed quite old and I actually wanted to ask a different question.

Has anyone ever learnt/tried to learn one of the languages he knows in order to understand or watch more? 
I feel like I’m somewhat relearning French a little

sorry I’ve worded this badly or again in the wrong place. Feel free to delete if this isn’t okay 

• Like 2

I think there are a lot of people here who are learning French or Italian to follow Mika's TV shows and interviews.

You can maybe practise with the sub-titled videos (click on the tab in the top menu bar).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, silver said:

I think there are a lot of people here who are learning French or Italian to follow Mika's TV shows and interviews.

You can maybe practise with the sub-titled videos (click on the tab in the top menu bar).

Yeah I’ve been going though the subtitled stuff slowly  

I did French at School (tho failed ) but feel like I’m relearning a little as I remember bits and watch 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rebecca Wiseman said:

Has anyone ever learnt/tried to learn one of the languages he knows in order to understand or watch more? 
I feel like I’m somewhat relearning French a little

Well, I wanted to learn French. However, thanks to Mika I learned it very quickly. Before, I didn't think it was possible to learn it in such a short time. :original:

If I hadn't wanted to learn French anyway, I probably would have done it to understand Mika when he is speaking French. :yes:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 1

I wanted to relearn French as it’s somewhat useful in the industry I want to work in 

ive tried learning Italian but never got anywhere with it 

Other then English I can Read and speak Hebrew but can’t translate it 

I might try and relearn it properally not just though Mika but for now Mika Will by teacher 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebecca Wiseman said:

Yes! Guilty! But I think many are guilty with me :lol3: I only know key words in both French and Italian, but sometimes enough to roughly understand the context.

Often he tells something I already know about him (from a previous English interview), but then in French or Italian. This is then easier to understand and it extends my vocabulary in both languages (though slowly!). I love learning languages and being a Mikafan just somehow fits 😉

• Like 3

The only reason I'm learning Italian is because of Mika! I keep thinking that I haven't got very far with it but I have to keep reminding myself that 8 months ago I didn't know any Italian at all! Now I can speak and read it a little bit, and some of Mika's interviews make more sense now. I'm determined to keep going! 

I did do French at school, rather well too but years later my mind draws a complete blank now 😅

Thanks to Mika I do know some rather, shall we say, inappropriate words, in different languages! :teehee:

• Haha 3

Hi Rebecca!

Yeap, I'm also one of the fellow language learners here. Right now I've immersed myself in Italian, but French is next on the list. I've always loved linguistics, but Mika in particular has been a huge inspiration to me in learning more languages. He sometimes says that he is the 'stupidest' in his family, because his sisters know six languages :lol3: It's hard to keep up!

Thank you for creating this thread! Can we perhaps share some useful links, materials, text books etc. for learning languages here?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I came across this website a while back for learning Italian too, some things are quite basic so it's good for beginners. 

https://www.theitalianexperiment.com/

I also use the duolingo app. Some exercises can be quite fun while others seem a little complicated (at least for me 😅), not keen on the competitive element with the weekly leader board but having set goals within the app is a good help. I aim for 15 minutes a day but lately I've been doing anything up to an hour!

• Like 4

I've said it before - Mika should release a language learning course. :yes:

I loved languages at school, I did Spanish GCSE and French GCSE and A level (plus 2 years of Latin and 1 year of German but thanks to changing schools, quickly forgotten) but that was nearly 30 years ago, so it's extremely rusty! The other day I couldn't even remember how to say sorry in French and had to look it up. I was so embarrassed. :doh:  I need to refresh the basics before the Paris concerts in October. 

Strangely although I've never studied Italian, I've watched the x factor Italia videos so often that it's sinking in, and I've found myself using the odd words. Ok, usually when I'm talking to myself, but that counts, right? :lol3: I actually really love the way Italian feels and sounds, so I've also started learning it on Duo Lingo, but I'll check out the links above too, thank you! (BTW, how fast does Emma Marrone speak? Damn that girl can talk!) 

Maybe I should watch The Voice again to kick-start my French. :biggrin2:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Prisca said:

If you think Emma Marrone speaks fast, you should listen to Alessandro Cattelan. :teehee:

:lol3: He's like Emma, I get occasional words and gist but don't expect a full translation. :dunno: 

I was watching the 3rd blinds yesterday, and there was a "rapper" who Emma really let rip on for his attitude. Just really strong impassioned ranting, the other judges were leaning away from her! I'd love to be able to do that. Although I do know the word she used at the end. :teehee:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hero said:

I've said it before - Mika should release a language learning course. :yes:

No he shouldn’t, he’s the worst language teacher :facepalm: we will only learn the bad words and how to say random (and maybe naughty) things about ourselves or others :lol3: anyone remember him trying to teach @dcdeba bit of French during the IG Live? :biggrin2:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

No he shouldn’t, he’s the worst language teacher :facepalm: we will only learn the bad words and how to say random (and maybe naughty) things about ourselves or others :lol3: anyone remember him trying to teach @dcdeba bit of French during the IG Live? :biggrin2:

Oh yes. :yes: He'd be the best language teacher, you'd want to listen to the lessons just to hear his beautiful voice. Even when it's swearing. :naughty: 

Besides, I like to know the naughty words, it can be useful. :teehee:  :blush:

• Haha 2

Putting it in my language topic rather then ask elsewhere 

but his accent seems to have changed a lot from 2007 to now also he seems to have a different accent depending what country he’s in 

I may have only just noticed this since I Went from watching stuff in 2017 in Italy to 2019 in England to 2008 in America (I think)

So might have just noticed it from all the jumping around 

1 hour ago, Rebecca Wiseman said:

Putting it in my language topic rather then ask elsewhere 

but his accent seems to have changed a lot from 2007 to now also he seems to have a different accent depending what country he’s in 

I may have only just noticed this since I Went from watching stuff in 2017 in Italy to 2019 in England to 2008 in America (I think)

So might have just noticed it from all the jumping around 

In an interview that he did 2007 in Italy he says that he has an airport accent, when he speaks English. So, you're right, his accent is not always the same when he speaks English. :original:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

In an interview that he did 2007 in Italy he says that he has an airport accent, when he speaks English. So, you're right, his accent is not always the same when he speaks English. :original:

Don’t we all though, when we think of it? My (English) accent and cadence is heavily influenced depending on the people I’m with. 

• Like 1

Just now, holdingyourdrink said:

Don’t we all though, when we think of it? My (English) accent and cadence is heavily influenced depending on the people I’m with. 

I think some do it more than others. :dunno_grin:

And I have already heard from some people that they have said that Mika does not always speak the same English. And even Mika himself says that he doesn't always speak the same English.

No one has ever said that my English accent has changed. Although there are probably slight fluctuations there too. :dunno_grin:

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

I think some do it more than others. :dunno_grin:

That is very true, I think you’re maybe more consistent than I am, which I think is pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

No one has ever said that my English accent has changed. Although there are probably slight fluctuations there too. :dunno_grin:

How is it when you switch between languages? My husband told me he feels I am three different people depending on the language I speak. Well, just three different sides of me I guess. Also has to do with the “culture” of the language. English for example is much more open then German is, which is (in my opinion) more reserved. 

• Like 1