15 years of MFC - Website updates!

mellody

As we're approaching our 15 years (!! :shocked:) anniversary, we've started to make some changes on the site, to give it a fresh new look. Our goal is to make MFC more intuitive and make it easier to find things, also for newbies who might not be used to a forum structure. 

For now you may have noticed that we've reduced the number of sections in the "Mika Fan Club Info" part of the forum from 5 to 3. All the threads are still there, but basically we've combined About MFC and Announcements to one, and MFC Help and Suggestions to another section.

This is only the beginning and work in progress, stay tuned for more changes, and please don't hesitate to give us feedback on whether those changes are helpful to you or not. 

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

We're still working behind the scenes on this, although Thanksgiving and a few other things have slowed us down.

I wanted to run something by you all, and get your opinion.

Currently, the main forum page is laid out in what they call a "table" format, but we were thinking that a "grid" format might be more visually appealing and maybe even easier to figure out.

I have adjusted the settings so that you now have the option of changing to a grid format to see if you like it. I've circled in pink where the option is now on the main forum page in the image below. The image also gives you an idea of what the grid format would look like.

2021-12-02-MFC-grid-test-revised.jpg

Try it out a bit and let us know what you think. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using the grid format to give it a go, I mainly use a smart phone (android) and this is what it looks like for me:

(just thought I'd do a little video for a change :biggrin2:)

And if I go into a forum with sub forums, those forums appear with an image at the top:

20211203_091852.thumb.png.f46016c86f522bde4176620768193a3e.png

I'm so used to the table format, it's going to take me a while to get used to the grid format. I don't mind it though it does make finding things a little easier!

15 hours ago, silver said:

I quite like the grid, my only thought initially is that a 2 column grid might lead to a lot of scrolling on a phone?  Could we do three columns?

15 hours ago, silver said:

And maybe the section headings could be on a coloured background (like the top of page purple) to make them stand out more?

I would like a 3-column layout as well, but that would take a little programming -- I think we could change it if we go into the code, it's not something that is as automatic as the 2-column layout is.

Same with the colored headings. It's do-able, but needs some customization.

3 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I've been using the grid format to give it a go, I mainly use a smart phone (android) and this is what it looks like for me:

(just thought I'd do a little video for a change :biggrin2:)

And if I go into a forum with sub forums, those forums appear with an image at the top:

20211203_091852.thumb.png.f46016c86f522bde4176620768193a3e.png

I'm so used to the table format, it's going to take me a while to get used to the grid format. I don't mind it though it does make finding things a little easier!

Thank you so much for the video, CJ! That helps a lot.

And I hardly ever looked at the forums on my phone, so I appreciate the feedback from someone who usually uses the site that way.

I can change those black boxes on the subforums to actual photos, just like I did on the main forums. I just was lazy and wanted to get the design out for you all to see. :teehee:

So do you think it's easier to find things? I think it's definitely more attractive. We're also rethinking the categories and forum descriptions, so that ought to help as well. We really do want to make the whole site better and bring it in to the 2020's!  :lol3:

• Like 1

I tried the "grid" format and I like better the "table" one, I find it more clear and comprehensive. But I only check the forum from my laptop.

If the changes will be made, I am curios if we'll be able to change from one to another individually, or the "table" format will disappear? 

• Like 2

I think especially for new members the "grid" format is more appealing because I think people are more likely to click on something if they have a picture. :original:

3 hours ago, krysady said:

If the changes will be made, I am curios if we'll be able to change from one to another individually, or the "table" format will disappear? 

I have got used to the "table" format, but I can also live well with the "grid" format. :original: I think it's a good idea if you can choose the format yourself.

I am mostly in the forum with my laptop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prisca said:

I have got used to the "table" format, but I can also live well with the "grid" format. :original: I think it's a good idea if you can choose the format yourself.

Of course, if it's decided for the grid format, I'll be fine as well :thumb_yello:

I'm still using the old "default" theme for the forum because I wear reading glasses and it's clearer than the MFC 2020 theme, that's why I asked about the choice option. But if it's not possible, no problem :original:

• Like 3

Usually I check the forums from my laptop.

I have tried GRID, and I like better TABLE format.

As I am aging, I tend to prefer things I'm used to....:blush:

I'd like to hear the opinions from newbies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Usually I check the forums from my laptop.

I have tried GRID, and I like better TABLE format.

As I am aging, I tend to prefer things I'm used to....:blush:

I'd like to hear the opinions from newbies.

Same here Eriko. :original:

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, Mikasister said:

Same here Eriko. :original:

Me too!

I think probably what we'll do is make the grid format the "default" so that anyone new landing here will see that, with the option to revert to the table format, if that's what you prefer. Just like the options we have with the theme.

• Like 7

A positive thing that I've only just noticed now (so I'm guessing it's part of the new updates) is that when I upload a photo/video it tells you how long it's got left to upload in a progress bar. I've often tried to attach large files before and given up because I couldn't tell if anything was actually happening. Something as simple as a progress bar makes uploading so much easier! 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I'm not over the moon about the grid format (( I find the vast amount of vibrant images to be very distracting. Also, I think it doubled the scrolling time for me. Sadly, the option to switch back to the table format is only available when signed in, and I quite often check the forum 'incognito'.

@dcdeb I see that people more or less agreed to stick with the new format, so I'm in the minority here. But is there at least a way to make the switch option available even when a user is logged off?

On 1/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, Ally Kate said:

I'll be honest, I'm not over the moon about the grid format (( I find the vast amount of vibrant images to be very distracting. Also, I think it doubled the scrolling time for me. Sadly, the option to switch back to the table format is only available when signed in, and I quite often check the forum 'incognito'.

@dcdeb I see that people more or less agreed to stick with the new format, so I'm in the minority here. But is there at least a way to make the switch option available even when a user is logged off?

Thanks for the input. Personally, I agree with you, I also prefer the classic format to the grid. But as I'm always logged in, it's no problem for me. Good to know that without logging in it's not that easy. We'll check what we can do. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

Thanks for the input. Personally, I agree with you, I also prefer the classic format to the grid. But as I'm always logged in, it's no problem for me. Good to know that without logging in it's not that easy. We'll check what we can do. :thumb_yello:

As a newer person whose joined I also think the list? Layout is best 

I’ve looked at the grid and personally didn’t like it too much 

however I’ve used forums a lot that were more listy so I’m used to that but can understand how others might prefer the grid 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, Ally Kate said:

But is there at least a way to make the switch option available even when a user is logged off?

Until a button is added for logged off users I have found a solution to this.

Log in just once, then log out again. Then if you go to clear your browser history but keep the website cookies option unchecked, then the next time you come back to MFC even if you're logged out, the site will still be in the table format.

I don't know if you can keep cookie data just for one particular website though, if I do this on the browser I use then I have to keep ALL website cookies until I decide to delete them 🙃

• Like 1