Mika's duets

Mikasister

1 hour ago, Sabine64 said:

I´m sorry but Fellow ruined the song for my ears

It was clearly a bad choice for him, but mostly the musical arrangement for their duet it was not alright... Fellow's parts were painful, probably it was Taketo who made the arrangement :dunno:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

For me the guy spoiled the song in a similar way Chiara spoiled Stardust but the guy was even worse. :emot-sad:

I don't mind Chiara and Mika together but their version of Stardust isn't my favourite, the combination of Fellow and Mika just sounded outright wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I don't mind Chiara and Mika together but their version of Stardust isn't my favourite, the combination of Fellow and Mika just sounded outright wrong.

Both sound horrible to me 

Come on guys, be gentle (( Fellow might be reading this forum.

Personally, I think he was great. In my ideal universe FELLOW would have been the runner-up (and gIANMARIA the winner). The only problem I have with this duet is that the cameraman only filmed en face close-ups of Mika for some reason, which made it a star moment for him, while it should have been a crowning moment for Fellow. I'm sad we didn't get to see him perform the Best Of medley.

Overall, this season of X Factor Italia was magical :wub2:

Edited by Ally Kate
  • Like 1

Just listened to and watched the duet between Mika and Fellow again. I think the reason why many think it sounds „wrong“, is that they are used to hearing Mika‘s version from the very beginning. 

Me as a new fan, am being spoiled with an entire discography of Underwater versions - also having heard a contestant on the Voice auditioning with it - so for me, this is another arrangement. I do believe if Fellow would’ve done it solo, it would’ve sounded better. It is clear to hear that he is nervous and that he doesn’t „own“ the song/venue. With Mika it’s a different story, he is mighty comfortable and is shining like a glittering rainbow (quite literally!).

The contrast is huge, therefore making it sound off for many.

The duet Mika sang in the final with his contestant Whitney was a different story. Yes she was probably just as nervous as Fellow, but the song they sang was very gentle and he could physically and musically help her through it. With Fellow he tried (see his arm on his shoulder in the middle of the song), but the song is made to have the singer shine in grandeur, but Fellow wasn’t completely ready for that yet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Just listened to and watched the duet between Mika and Fellow again

Here you lost me... :aah:

9 hours ago, Ally Kate said:

Come on guys, be gentle (( Fellow might be reading this forum.

Oh, I hope if he read it, he knows that we love him very much and find him extremely talented!  He has a great voice and I'm sure he will become more confident in the future, he has a natural gift! :thumb_yello:

It's just that this song and new arrangement didn't work this time, at least imo :dunno_grin:  But we love you, Fellow! :bye:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I couldn’t agree more ❤️ I love everything about it!

Wait, „Blame it on the weather“ is a Mika song? I always thought it was a cover (I just looked at the video and heard this intro for the very first time). It’s such a shame it’s not on any album! It’s marvelous!!!! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Wait, „Blame it on the weather“ is a Mika song? I always thought it was a cover (I just looked at the video and heard this intro for the very first time). It’s such a shame it’s not on any album! It’s marvelous!!!! 

It is his song and the French version it's on his album The Origin Of Love :wink2:

After he performed the English version live, he said during a gig in Seoul that the song is good but he doesn't know what to do with it, because he received many negative comments on social media. So in the end he decided to release it in French version.

Edited by krysady
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, krysady said:

It is his song and the French version it's on his album The Origin Of Love :wink2:

After he performed the English version live, he said during a gig in Seoul that the song is good but he doesn't know what to do with it, because he received many negative comments on social media. So in the end he decided to release it in French version.

The French version is stunning as well. Too bad Ida is not in it, but I also like it as Mika only. 

Ahh! So he reads his social media every now and then :wink2:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man, there are a lot of great duets on this thread! I'm still catching up to them, as a relatively new consumer of Mika's music post-LICM, but so far I still think Ready To Call This Love is my favorite duet from a studio recording. The way his voice and Jack's complement each other is just... * chef's kiss * Not to mention the lovely references Mika has made to singing with him in at least one interview.

I'm not quite as taken with his duets with female singers yet, not even the one he did with Imogen Heap, who is one of my favorite musicians ever. But like I said, I'm still catching up! Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are recordings of him singing with Ida before the orchestral renditions of his songs were performed? Or is that pretty much the extent of their professional collaboration?

This probably belongs on a different thread, but I'd be really curious to see what he'd sound like in collaboration with someone like Laura Mvula. They have very different voices, but a similar exuberance and soulful quality. Thinking of She or I Don't Know What The Weather Will Be in particular - what if Mika covered one of those songs in a different key? Or, thinking even further afield, what would a Mika song covered by Jacob Collier sound like? :o

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

This probably belongs on a different thread, but I'd be really curious to see what he'd sound like in collaboration with someone like Laura Mvula. They have very different voices, but a similar exuberance and soulful quality. Thinking of She or I Don't Know What The Weather Will Be in particular - what if Mika covered one of those songs in a different key? Or, thinking even further afield, what would a Mika song covered by Jacob Collier sound like? :o

Interesting collab ideas there, I like the idea of Mika and Laura Mvula!

There is this thread to discuss potential collaborations:

4 hours ago, Aki Celeste said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are recordings of him singing with Ida before the orchestral renditions of his songs were performed? Or is that pretty much the extent of their professional collaboration?

Ida sang backing vocals on the album versions of "Happy Ending""Blue Eyes", and "Blame It On The Girls", and has performed "Happy Ending" as a duet with Mika a bunch of times on stage, and was a backing singer at some of his gigs from like 2009-2011.

Here's just a few live videos...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kreacher said:

Ida sang backing vocals on the album versions of "Happy Ending""Blue Eyes", and "Blame It On The Girls", and

Awesome, thanks for pointing this out! She seems to be involved with a number of my favorite songs - it'd be lovely to hear them both live someday. :pray:

• Like 1