Christmas 2021

Prisca

After the bad news about Corona and Omicon, I think it's time for something more cheerful: Christmas! :newyear:

And what better day than the first Sunday of Advent to start a thread with Christmas 2021? :original:

grafik.thumb.png.2280f1330b871d91615511d3d503613d.png

So share here all the Christmas traditions and what is usual for you during the Christmas season. :original:

I'll start with a tradition in German-speaking Switzerland: the Grittibänz. :original:

grafik.png.68ae3029e3ec241026e4c15b4c887cb4.png

I went to do one with my godson yesterday. :licks_lips:

• Like 3

Happy first Advent!!! 🎄 

10 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I'll start with a tradition in German-speaking Switzerland: the Grittibänz. :original:

grafik.png.68ae3029e3ec241026e4c15b4c887cb4.png

I went to do one with my godson yesterday. :licks_lips:

Oh he must’ve loved it! I think they are similar to the “Weckmänner” in Germany, are they bread-like consistency that is a little bit sweet? (No added sugar, but due to the rising process and the kind flower that is used, it has a hint of sweetness to it.)

1 hour ago, krysady said:

Ashamed to ask, but what is Advent? :dunno_grin:

The period of four weeks before Christmas. :original:

There are four Sundays before Christmas, so today is the first Sunday of Advent. :original:

grafik.thumb.png.2280f1330b871d91615511d3d503613d.png

You don't use this word in Romania? :original:

Edited by Prisca

1 minute ago, krysady said:

maybe it's something specific for catholic religion? 

Yes, that is quite possible. :original:

Don't you have an Advent calendar from 1 to 24 December either?

grafik.thumb.png.736e915be3b3382c18289827f97bf8d4.png

• Like 1

Just now, Prisca said:

Don't you have an Advent calendar from 1 to 24 December either?

No, but I've seen that in Switzerland and France. And in Switzerland was more expensive! :teehee:

Just kidding, I don't remember the price :wink2:

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Happy first Advent!!! 🎄 

I think they are similar to the “Weckmänner” in Germany, are they bread-like consistency that is a little bit sweet? (No added sugar, but due to the rising process and the kind flower that is used, it has a hint of sweetness to it.)

Yes, looks like "Weckmänner" is the same with a different name. :thumb_yello:

Wikipedia:

Stutenkerl, Weck(en)mann, Klausenmann, Hefekerl, Grättimaa, Grittibänz, Dambedei or Krampus is the name given to a shaped bread made of yeast dough.

I did not do it myself. That's why I don't know exactly what goes in. :teehee:

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Oh he must’ve loved it!

I was with him, his mother and his two younger brothers in a kind of bakery. The dough was already ready. There was a sheet with instructions and he could shape the "Grittibänz" himself. He is already 12 and therefore almost too old for it. I think it was ok for him, but it was much more fun for his little brother, who is 8. And the little one is only 2 and he was too young for it. :original: But my godson did like to eat it later. :thumb_yello:  :licks_lips:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

There're lots of Advent calendars in my country and the best is the chocolate inside :licks_lips:

I always had Advent calendars like that as a child. I liked the Advent calendars, but not really the chocolate inside. :teehee:

Yes, even good Swiss chocolate couldn't convince me as a child. :lol3:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I always had Advent calendars like that as a child. I liked the Advent calendars, but not really the chocolate inside. :teehee:

Yes, even good Swiss chocolate couldn't convince me as a child. :lol3:

You know I adore chocolate :naughty:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Prisca said:

Yes, I know. :das:

grafik.thumb.png.16f39e57c2989515e810dec0fc3073e4.png

Ahhh I prefer toblerone hahahah maybe @Hero is interested in that figure, or maybe if it was a Mika made of chocolate would be better for her hehehehe. Those Mika in blue pics made of chocolate. I'm right, @Hero?  :naughty:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

Ahhh I prefer toblerone hahahah maybe @Hero is interested in that figure, or maybe if it was a Mika made of chocolate would be better for her hehehehe. Those Mika in blue pics made of chocolate. I'm right, @Hero?  :naughty:

:lmfao: Oh lord. :floor: I wouldn't know what to do with it!

How quickly this thread degenerated! What is it with you two? :naughty:

• Haha 3

I used to have Advent calendars as a child, Saint Nicholas brought them to me every year on the evening of 5th December. :biggrin2:

But nowadays I don't have them anymore, the problem with them is the fact that the cheap ones have bad chocolate inside and the expensive ones are so expensive considering the small amount of chocolate inside that it's much cheaper to buy a "normal" chocolate bar from the same producer. Or buy them after Saint Nicholas because that's when all the Christmas sweets are on sale here... :teehee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I used to have Advent calendars as a child, Saint Nicholas brought them to me every year on the evening of 5th December. :biggrin2:

But nowadays I don't have them anymore, the problem with them is the fact that the cheap ones have bad chocolate inside and the expensive ones are so expensive considering the small amount of chocolate inside that it's much cheaper to buy a "normal" chocolate bar from the same producer. Or buy them after Saint Nicholas because that's when all the Christmas sweets are on sale here... :teehee:

True.

@Prisca I told you I adore chocolate but GOOD chocolate. I don't eat any chocolate  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, krysady said:

Thanks! No, we don't have this tradition, maybe it's something specific for catholic religion? 

It's funny because we do have this tradition but at the same time we have one of the biggest percentage of atheist/ non believer people here so I doubt you can call us catholic. :teehee: However, we still hold a lot of traditions based on Christianity. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, giraffeandy said:

It's funny because we do have this tradition but at the same time we have one of the biggest percentage of atheist/ non believer people here so I doubt you can call us catholic. :teehee: However, we still hold a lot of traditions based on Christianity. 

In Switzerland there are still more Catholics (at least on paper) than atheists, but the atheists have now overtaken the Protestants because more and more are leaving the church.

This is in line with what a former professor of mine said. Most people in Europe (I don't think this applies to all countries) are no longer believers, but they like to take the decorations of faith with them: Christmas and Easter celebrations, the food that comes with it, all the traditions that are fun, etc. :lol3:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Most people in Europe (I don't think this applies to all countries) are no longer believers, but they like to take the decorations of faith with them: Christmas and Easter celebrations, the food that comes with it, all the traditions that are fun, etc.

I can understand this myself, I guess on paper I'm Christian (I was baptised) but I'm not a believer (but not atheist!), so I guess I'm a bad Christian seeing as I still enjoy Christmas and Easter! :biggrin2:

(mainly for the food!)

I also get advent calenders every year, it's just become tradition over time, even if the chocolate inside is small and cheap! :lmfao:

Also I think this year is the most organised I've ever been, Christmas shopping is sorted! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Prisca said:

In Switzerland there are still more Catholics (at least on paper) than atheists, but the atheists have now overtaken the Protestants because more and more are leaving the church.

This is in line with what a former professor of mine said. Most people in Europe (I don't think this applies to all countries) are no longer believers, but they like to take the decorations of faith with them: Christmas and Easter celebrations, the food that comes with it, all the traditions that are fun, etc. :lol3:

I agree but on the other hand, Easter is not only a Christian tradition, apparently there used to be a pagan tradition of "welcoming spring" and later it was mixed with the religion so some traditions aren't even originally religious. And I get the impression that many people nowadays celebrate the spring aspect more (at least in my country) so it still can be a meaningful holiday. :original:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, giraffeandy said:

I agree but on the other hand, Easter is not only a Christian tradition, apparently there used to be a pagan tradition of "welcoming spring" and later it was mixed with the religion so some traditions aren't even originally religious. And I get the impression that many people nowadays celebrate the spring aspect more (at least in my country) so it still can be a meaningful holiday. :original:

Already the Christians have liked to take pagan tradition and maybe change it a bit and sell it as their tradition. :biggrin2: Even if they see the pagans as inferior. I think it is human nature to like celebrations and things that are fun. :original:

So many things that are fun continue to be celebrated even though the people are not believers or do not know where the tradition comes from. :original:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

Then maybe it's because in the past your country embraced Catholicism and people still keep the traditions, I guess there's no many Orthodox people there? 

I'd be curios if in Russia and Bulgaria they have this Advent tradition :original:

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1