Calendar customs

silver

13 minutes ago, Hero said:

What are the traditions for St Patricks Day? It's not really celebrated locally, except maybe pubs offer discounts on Irish beers. :rolleyes:

Celebrations generally involve public parades and festivals, céilís, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks (says Wikipedia).

• Like 1

18 March 2022

Holi

The Hindu festival of love, color and spring. It's a time when Indians don simple, inexpensive clothes and take to the streets to drench each other in clouds of colored powder and buckets of water. There's singing, dancing, and of course, food. Holi this year falls on Friday.

grafik.png.6b4565a66329e04f198a108978af59d7.png

grafik.png.0a4df984b808af36def937bd0c10bb7c.png

grafik.png.a69ab6d4b4ca4597fef09f5d0e3d900e.png

grafik.png.57c0f5f1c53ff9aab14aefa84b81ed57.png

grafik.png.7b5cb17c764ff28f0df9e5979eb94e76.png

grafik.thumb.png.579db19a60efd53454d849f8250220f1.png

• Like 4

I saw a documentary about Indian customs years ago and ever since seeing videos of the Holi festival I've always wanted to go. It looks like so much fun!

I knew someone who went once, their advice "Make sure the powder you throw is definitely paint, and not other substances that come in powder form!" :facepalm:

Edited by TinyLove_CJ
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I saw a document about Indian customs years ago and ever since seeing videos of the Holi festival I've always wanted to go. It looks like so much fun!

I knew someone who went once, their advice "Make sure the powder you throw is definitely paint, and not other substances that come in powder form!" :facepalm:

:lol3:

With all the colours, it looks like a Mika party. :fangurl:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hero said:

With all the colours, it looks like a Mika party. :fangurl:

It was exactly like that at the Sziget Festival in 2013, we got bags with colored powder before Mika's gig:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, krysady said:

It was exactly like that at the Sziget Festival in 2013, we got bags with colored powder before Mika's gig:

Fantastic! :lustslow:  

Did nobody throw powder at Meeks? :teehee:

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, Hero said:

What are the traditions for St Patricks Day? It's not really celebrated locally, except maybe pubs offer discounts on Irish beers. :rolleyes:

On 3/17/2022 at 10:22 AM, Prisca said:

Celebrations generally involve public parades and festivals, céilís, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks (says Wikipedia).

if you don't wear any green you get pinched! Also, green beer is a thing.

I know it's late but St. Patrick's Day is also the feast day of St. Gertrude of Nivelles (The Patron Saint of Cats).

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/93339/saint-gertrude-nivelles-patron-saint-cats-more-or-less

5c9d0bf3fb2fca5e8d484f8580d71178.jpg

Edited by kreacher
added a photo of Mika, just in case anyone doesn't know what cats look like
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Cats I know what they look like, but who is this Mika guy? :biggrin2:

:dunno:

I don't know, but I can't wait until April 2nd to find out. Hopefully he brings out a cat! 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, silver said:

Is there any day that isn't an international day of something?

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

No :original:

I wanted to say the same thing. :lmfao:

Today is also the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, of Forests, World Poetry Day and World Down Syndrome Day. :biggrin2:

There just aren't enough days in the year to celebrate everything you want to celebrate and that's why you can celebrate several things every day. :pinkbow:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 2