Camels Galore

BeccaStardust

11 minutes ago, Hero said:

Interesting info :camel2::camel3::camel2::camel3::camel2:

The largest population of camels in the wild, estimated in 2013 at 300,000 individuals increasing at roughly 10 per cent per year, is found in neither Arabia nor Mongolia, the traditional homelands of genuinely wild camels, but instead in the Australian desert. From the 1840s until the early 1900s, camels were imported into Australia principally for transportation purposes in the country’s hot, arid deserts. As technology advanced, however, the camels were no longer needed as much and, consequently, many were released or escaped into the desert, where they bred and thrived in a feral state.

Camels in Australia are feral, not wild. Feral animals are domesticated animals living in the wild after escaping domestication or captivity.

The only true wild camel as recognized by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), which controls the Red Book of Endangered Species, is Camelus ferus – the double-humped camel, which separated from any other form of camel over 700,000 years ago. As of 2017, there are only approximately 900–1,000 individuals in the wild in north-west China and south-west Mongolia, and the IUCN lists it as critically endangered.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-population-of-wild-camels

Very interesting, I didn't know that. Nor that camels live in the wild in Australia (I did a six-month language study trip in Australia 🙈).

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Today in London it was the Lord Mayor's parade and it's tradition to have camels in the parade! 😁

I can't find a still image anywhere of today's camels but you can see them about half way through this short video:

If Mika happened to still be in London this morning then he might have seen them!

• Like 4

On 11/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Today in London it was the Lord Mayor's parade and it's tradition to have camels in the parade! 😁

I can't find a still image anywhere of today's camels but you can see them about half way through this short video:

If Mika happened to still be in London this morning then he might have seen them!

Hi! 
By the way did anyone mention the camel adoption to Mika last week at the Royal Festival Hall? It would have been the best opportunity to do so!
Cheers 🐪😘🥰

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pascale_geneva said:

Hi! 
By the way did anyone mention the camel adoption to Mika last week at the Royal Festival Hall? It would have been the best opportunity to do so!
Cheers 🐪😘🥰

Deb passed the adoption documents to Mika's assistant. But there was no time to mention it during the meeting. It was so short! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Deb passed the adoption documents to Mika's assistant. But there was no time to mention it during the meeting. It was so short! 

I knew about the adoption documents having been passed on to Mika’s team. A shame there was no time to mention it. There was enough time for selfies though😂 I’m being sarcastic:lol3:

1 hour ago, pascale_geneva said:

I knew about the adoption documents having been passed on to Mika’s team. A shame there was no time to mention it. There was enough time for selfies though😂 I’m being sarcastic:lol3:

The part with selfies was in a foyer when Mika was trying to talk with the production team. He was not talking to us.

It was not the time for us. Just by chance we have spotted him.

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Camilla the Camel was right with her prediction last week when England faced Iran in the world cup! 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/england-iran-world-cup-camel-28542255.amp

I wonder is she's predicted if England will win the whole tournament? 🤔

Also, people visiting Qatar are being told not to go for a camel ride, there has been a rising number of cases of camel flu! It's the MERS-COV virus which is a variant of covid and can be transmitted to humans! The risk is still fairly low but having the virus can still make people feel rather ill.

Qatar are also hosting the camel beauty pageant this year, with camel flu on the rise I'm surprised it's still going ahead 🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Hero said:

Inspired by the virtual Christmas wishes thread, I was searching for pics of a camel led sleigh, and ran across this historical record. Its a good read, very interesting!

https://www.rsgs.org/blog/a-sleigh-ride-in-the-snow

Most of the settlements along the road had change-stations, with a small room where travellers could sleep, and stables which supplied a change of horses. But at one of these stations there were no horses available, and the driver had to accept three Bactrian camels as a substitute. Single camels were often used to pull sleighs, but Burnaby felt that three were excessive for his small vehicle. He watched in astonishment as they were harnessed up: the driver sat atop the central camel, while the others were arranged on either side.

The result was quite comical to look at, but the camels had the last laugh. Soon after getting going, the central camel decided that it had had enough of its burden and stopped abruptly, catapulting the driver over its head into a bank of soft snow. The driver, dusting himself off, decided to change the camels’ configuration, with a leader in front rather than three abreast; but after a while the leading camel felt that it was taking too much of the strain and promptly laid down in the snow. No amount of tugging, cajoling or bribery would make it get up. Burnaby cursed the legendary stubbornness of camels. Only when it felt the coldness of the frozen ground seeping up into its body did the animal grudgingly get back on its feet.

GetImage.aspx?IDMF=fb8cbaad-732c-42e0-b2

Bactrian camels

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

63187ADB-AD27-48C0-91A7-8685BB18ECF9.thumb.jpeg.1f093438c2ca113cca4fa24a0db6792e.jpeg

TEHU goes skiing on sand 🐪😂

Hi everyone 👋

I saw this in the Swiss press. This must come from a UK newspaper as there has been quite a bit of bad publicity there especially on social media regarding the Swiss skiing resorts not having enough snow during the Xmas holidays. In fact it wasn’t the case in high-altitude resorts. Right now it’s actually snowing! The problem also exists in France and everywhere else. 
I thought  this cartoon was funny 🤣 

But the reason for my posting this is TEHU :biggrin2:

Have a good Sunday, my friends 🥰❤️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, pascale_geneva said:

63187ADB-AD27-48C0-91A7-8685BB18ECF9.thumb.jpeg.1f093438c2ca113cca4fa24a0db6792e.jpeg

TEHU goes skiing on sand 🐪😂

Hi everyone 👋

I saw this in the Swiss press. This must come from a UK newspaper as there has been quite a bit of bad publicity there especially on social media regarding the Swiss skiing resorts not having enough snow during the Xmas holidays. In fact it wasn’t the case in high-altitude resorts. Right now it’s actually snowing! The problem also exists in France and everywhere else. 
I thought  this cartoon was funny 🤣 

But the reason for my posting this is TEHU :biggrin2:

Have a good Sunday, my friends 🥰❤️

That gives a new meaning to "racing camel",  lol! :lmfao:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had a camel dream last night and I'm wondering if this will become a regular thing now? 🤔 :lmfao:

I was abroad somewhere near a desert and a rather nice looking young man offered to take me home on a dromedary. The dromedary was called Amber and the man claimed she was the fastest in the world, I'm not sure how we both managed to fit on on the back of her but I was taken home very fast! The man then had the audacity to charge me £359 for the ride!

• Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a few things from my friends Etsy and he's more than happy to take doodle requests, so of course I requested a dromedary! 

I wasn't sure what to expect as his art style is, shall we say, a little chaotic... but boy did he deliver! 😁

20230212_104425.thumb.jpg.6bb11cbf9c218a863d9309d5e02bbf50.jpg

This is my friends' wolf character that has been turned into a dromedary (don't ask 😅)

20230212_104642.thumb.jpg.2437fd7f2ed706ddedfe957aad52b125.jpg

This little card was hidden inside with another dromedary doodle, he doesn't look too pleased... 

20230212_104537.thumb.jpg.fd5bdc34f651d480ddbf97326b12c3e4.jpg

And on the other side of the card is this doodle, it's a true masterpiece and deserves to be framed! 

My friend knows I'm a Mika fan but I don't think he gets the whole 'Mika + Camel' obsession so I would love to have seen his reaction when he saw my doodle request! I have a feeling he would be so confused!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I ordered a few things from my friends Etsy and he's more than happy to take doodle requests, so of course I requested a dromedary! 

I wasn't sure what to expect as his art style is, shall we say, a little chaotic... but boy did he deliver! 😁

20230212_104425.thumb.jpg.6bb11cbf9c218a863d9309d5e02bbf50.jpg

This is my friends' wolf character that has been turned into a dromedary (don't ask 😅)

20230212_104642.thumb.jpg.2437fd7f2ed706ddedfe957aad52b125.jpg

This little card was hidden inside with another dromedary doodle, he doesn't look too pleased... 

20230212_104537.thumb.jpg.fd5bdc34f651d480ddbf97326b12c3e4.jpg

And on the other side of the card is this doodle, it's a true masterpiece and deserves to be framed! 

My friend knows I'm a Mika fan but I don't think he gets the whole 'Mika + Camel' obsession so I would love to have seen his reaction when he saw my doodle request! I have a feeling he would be so confused!

Cute. The last one is more of a dino-dromedary. :lol3:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was in a corner shop today just buying the latest TV mag when I saw these on the counter... :facepalm:

(couldn't take a picture myself so this is from google, I've put it in hidden contents just in case it is seen as inappropriate :teehee:)

Spoiler

915xgNosEdL_SL1500-sw(1).thumb.jpg.f0dd49d96607f2ab639beec8b045859c.jpg

And before anyone asks, NO I didn't buy any! 😆

• Haha 5