MIKA to Co-Host Eurovision 2022

dcdeb

I remember I watched this as a kid with my grandmother who was so deep into the competition that she was realy mad if Italy or german had a better ranking than France ( don't know why these 2 specific countries tbh , maybe related to the 2nd world war ??? )

My only grief about the show is that it was sooooo long , especialy the counting points part !

Hope they have made some changes because I'm realy curious to see how Mika will cope with his role 

Edited by carafon
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, carafon said:

My only grief about the show is that it was sooooo long , especialy the counting points part !

It doesn't go as long with the points as it used to. I think the respective country only says the 12 points and the others are faded in directly. But there are more countries now than years ago...

• Haha 1

It's still a very long show, but at least a lot of the acts get eliminated in the two earlier stages.  In theory that means you end up with the best songs, but ......

We ESC veterans set up a thread each year to discuss the entries.  I have a feeling it will be a lot busier this year :mf_rosetinted:

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, silver said:

It's still a very long show, but at least a lot of the acts get eliminated in the two earlier stages.  In theory that means you end up with the best songs, but ......

That's true, the semi-finals didn't exist once. :biggrin2:

• Like 1

From the Eurovision website - think it's interesting that they don't talk more about him hosting his own Italian TV show and judging on X Factor...

https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision-2022-hosts

And completing the lineup is the incredible Mika.

Since his debut single Grace Kelly (2007), the Lebanese-British singer-songwriter has enjoyed a career without artistic barriers set by genre, geography or societal expectations.

After Eurovision, this eclectic pop star will be touring across North American (including the prestigious Coachella Festival) before continuing to gig across Europe and Italy.

Speaking to Eurovision.tv, Mika revealed his excitement to receive the invitation to host:

'More than ever I believe in the importance of an international community, in our common values. I believe in the union of people, in breaking down the walls to celebrate our similarities as much as our differences. We can do it thanks to music, which is the most universal form of expression. Eurovision is this and so much more!

I’ve been watching it since I was a kid, the whole family would get together for the Grand Final. Once a year, more than 40 countries share the same emotions, regardless of history or the political situation: music unites them. It’s an exciting honour to be one of the masters of ceremony on these fantastic nights.'

Join Laura, Alessandro and Mika for the 66th Eurovision Song Contest live from Turin on May 10, 12 and 14.

📺 Watch: Mika – Grace Kelly

• Like 5

So my brain has taken it's sweet time to only just realise something now. 

When Mika first officially announced  that he is co-hosting Eurovison, I honestly thought it meant that he would only be hosting for Italy and that other countries each have their own host.

My metaphorical penny has just dropped and I realise now that Mika (along with Laura and Ale), ARE HOSTING THE ENTIRE THING!!! :doh:

Oh I Get It Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I consider myself quite smart but this is the second time this week* that my brain cells have failed me! 😆

*The first time being when I got an eye of a needle stuck in my finger (yes, really! 🙃)

Edited by TinyLove_CJ
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I consider myself quite smart but this is the second time this week* that my brain cells have failed me! 😆

Probably just too much going on in the Mika world at the moment to process everything properly. :wink2:

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

13 hours ago, Prisca said:

Probably just too much going on in the Mika world at the moment to process everything properly. :wink2:

Mika overloading brain malfunction :lol:

EDIT: sorry, autocorrect changed the word :lol:

GIF by Jay Sprogell 

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Haha 4

Must admit, I'm a bit nervous about this. I really, really hope it goes well for him. :crossed:

It always surprised me which countries were considered European. Umm, Azerbaijan? Really? :naughty:

But I've not watched it for a few years, it might have changed. Before it just seemed so fake, with so much politics at play. It was one of those things people watched just to slate it, or to hear the hissy-fit commentary, neither of which interest me. Does it still suffer from political block voting? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero said:

Must admit, I'm a bit nervous about this. I really, really hope it goes well for him. :crossed:

It always surprised me which countries were considered European. Umm, Azerbaijan? Really? :naughty:

But I've not watched it for a few years, it might have changed. Before it just seemed so fake, with so much politics at play. It was one of those things people watched just to slate it, or to hear the hissy-fit commentary, neither of which interest me. Does it still suffer from political block voting? 

Yes. unfortunately the political voting still goes on (eg Ukraine and Russia don't vote for each other; some of the ex-Yugoslavian countries don't vote for each other etc.  And nobody votes for the UK).

Lately it seems to go to songs that do the flashiest staging.

I wish it could just be about the music.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hero said:

It always surprised me which countries were considered European. Umm, Azerbaijan? Really? 

When it comes to Eurovision, Australia is also in Europe. :naughty:

I read that they pay money into the company and that is why they are allowed to participate.

1 hour ago, silver said:

Yes. unfortunately the political voting still goes on (eg Ukraine and Russia don't vote for each other; some of the ex-Yugoslavian countries don't vote for each other etc.  And nobody votes for the UK).

Yes, and also vice versa. I can already say that Cyprus' public will give Greece 12 points before they have sung (for those who don't know Eurovision: It is not possible to vote for your own country). I think that good singers in the UK just don't want to enter the contest because the contest has such a bad reputation there specifically? :dunno_grin: That's why the UK has been ranked so poorly for the last few years. :dunno_grin: And also the reason why Mika had such a bad opinion of it until now? :dunno_grin:

I think that in concern of the politics it has become better because now not only the audience, but each country also has a jury that votes and they are more neutral and don't just give points to somebody because they like the country.

I don't know since when it has been the case that there is a jury and the audience for each country that count each 50 %? I haven't really followed the contest for the last few years.

And I know only too well that no one gives you points. Switzerland is considered neural. Who then simply gives it points? I didn't really think it was possible that Switzerland could ever be well placed again, but nevertheless it happened. Switzerland came third in 2021 (it did help that the singer's roots are Albanian, and Albania, surely also because of that, gave Switzerland 12 points) and fourth in 2019. Now it can really only go down, because I don't know who Switzerland could send? But I already thought that in 2019 too, so...

Italy stopped participating because they were always so badly placed, then came back and even won last year. A lot is possible. And I think Mika co-hosting the show is a chance for the show and the UK to make the reputation of the show better, to make it what it used to be at the beginning and also make better singers want to participate in the show. There will probably be countries that don't send such good singers or bands this year, but I think we should focus on the ones that are good. :dunno_grin:

1 hour ago, silver said:

I wish it could just be about the music.

I also wish that the music would be more in focus again. After all, ABBA and Céline Dion also won Eurovision and no one will say that they can't sing.

• Like 1

With the UK, once we had gone several years with even reasonable songs not getting many votes, we stopped taking it seriously.  Added to that the UK commentators have a very light-hearted approach to the contest and treat it all as a big joke.  Bands didn't want to enter, and good songwriters didn't want to submit songs.  And then (on the grounds that the public were only choosing mediocre songs (which was all they had to choose from)), the BBC decided they would select the songs and artists themselves, resulting in a string of songs getting the dreaded nul points.

So Eurovision has ended up with a poor reputation in the UK, which is why Mika kept away from it before now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, silver said:

So Eurovision has ended up with a poor reputation in the UK, which is why Mika kept away from it before now.

I really hope that Mika helps to make Eurovision better and really, those who sing well win and it's not all politics. I also didn't watch Eurovision for many years because Switzerland always did badly anyway, no matter what they did. And I know that Switzerland doesn't have as many good singers as other countries, but the ones who went could usually sing, but nobody called for them. I remember a time when we were already happy if we didn't go home with 0 points. I looked it up: There was apparently always a jury there too, but only 12 points were awarded. Since 2016 there are 24 points from each country, 12 points from the jury and 12 points from the audience. That changes things. So if the UK would send better singers with the new system, I think they would have more chances to do better than with the old system. :dunno_grin:

I loved eurovision last year.  My husband was watching it. Otherwise I never turn TV on except when Mika is on it. And I loved  it. It used to be a boring  show with ladies with long dresses and all the sudden it was like a huge party with people not wearing masks and dancing and having fun like we did at gigs before covid. The music was hot, clothes were wild, I totally loved some songs and the liberating feeling of being back to a normal life. 

So I told myself I would deffo watch it next time because it made me feel alive after such a long time without Mika live concerts)  I would have probably forgotten to but with Mika there all evening I won't forget and I can't wait :excite::mikalove: :wub2:  He was the  perfect host in Casa Mika and he will be perfect for eurovision too :wub2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Prisca said:

ABBA won Eurovision and no one will say that they can't sing.

I never understood why a Swedish group came up with such a British themed song, Waterloo, to enter Eurovison with :dunno_grin:

(do I dare start controversy and say that I find ABBA songs really annoying? 🤔, sorry not sorry 😆)

You say you've followed Eurovision for a few years now so maybe you can help me out with something. I've never watched the competition all the way through but I do know the format of it. At least I think I do. It's 3 days in the space of one week, usually ending on a weekend right?. Now then, my Mum is adamant that Eurovison is 4 dates over 4 weeks. I'm pretty sure it's never been like that, please tell me I'm the one that's right here!

(I do think my Mum might be getting confused with the act selection process rather than the actual competition though!)

13 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I never understood why a Swedish group came up with such a British themed song, Waterloo, to enter Eurovison with :dunno_grin:

(do I dare start controversy and say that I find ABBA songs really annoying? 🤔, sorry not sorry 😆)

You say you've followed Eurovision for a few years now so maybe you can help me out with something. I've never watched the competition all the way through but I do know the format of it. At least I think I do. It's 3 days in the space of one week, usually ending on a weekend right?. Now then, my Mum is adamant that Eurovison is 4 dates over 4 weeks. I'm pretty sure it's never been like that, please tell me I'm the one that's right here!

(I do think my Mum might be getting confused with the act selection process rather than the actual competition though!)

Each county's selection process varies, some have just one show, others might showcase a song per week on an existing programme.

But Eurovision itself is 3 days in one week - two semi-finals, and then the actual final on Saturday.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I watched it as a child and then I didn't watch it for maybe 10 years. It's only been the last few years that I've watched it again a bit.

I looked it up. Up to and including 2003, there was only one event. From 2004 to 2007, there was a preliminary round and the bests countries made it to the final. From 2008, there are two semi-finals and the final. Yes, the competition takes place within one week, this year the first semi-final is on 10 May, the second semi-final on 12 May and the final on 14 May.

It may be that the UK had a qualifying show/some shows for Eurovision to determine its contestant for Eurovision, but I don't know that. :dunno_grin:

Edited by Prisca
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, holdingyourdrink said:

Same :biggrin2:

Yes, Mika will reach a much broader audience. I guess he needs to book bigger venues for his concerts in the future!!! 

This is the most exciting thing. The rest of Europe (including Germany) will find out that Mika is still around. :lol:

Edited by mariposa
  • Like 4

Thanks for the information @Prisca  @silver 😊

My Mum was definitely thinking of the act selection that the UK tends to do here first before the actual competition, which can go on for quite a while. So in a way we're both right! I would have thought the UK would have decided on an act by now though, not long to go for the competition now!

The one thing that I'm looking forward to (or at least hoping for), is the media and press here in the UK showing more of Mika! I'm already keeping my eye out for papers/magazines that mention Eurovision so I can see Mika's face! 😁

Just one more thing, something strange going on here further up in the thread:

Screenshot_20220206-223923_Chrome.thumb.png.4c04c8f7274f3088c7a1c7b1003e1d25.png

The page has become wider and harder to scroll, I think because of how that YouTube link has been added :dunno:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

:italia: An Italian magazine

Confidenze

N.07 – 15 Febbraio 2022

pressreader https://pressreader.com/article/283012583163958

Verso l’Eurovision con Brividi

Dopo il trionfo a Sanremo, Blanco e Mahmood gareggeranno per l’Italia nella kermesse internazionale più attesa. Pronti a tifare per loro?

Èstato il Festival di Sanremo dagli ascolti più alti degli ultimi 20 anni e, fin dalla prima serata, Blanco e Mahmood erano tra i favoriti. La loro Brividi, ballata romantica che canta il timore di sentirsi inadeguati in amore (“A volte non so esprimermi / E ti vorrei amare ma sbaglio sempre”) ha conquistato il primo posto, piazzandosi davanti al delicato inno al sentimento amoroso di Elisa, O forse sei tu, e alla coinvolgente Apri tutte le porte cantata da Gianni Morandi. E ora la coppia formata dal 29enne Alessandro Mahmood, già vincitore di Sanremo 2019 con Soldi e da Riccardo Fabbriconi (Blanco), 19 anni compiuti il 10 febbraio, si prepara alla prossima prova, la sfida internazionale dell’Eurovision Song Contest. In realtà, chiariscono i due artisti, la loro collaborazione per questo brano è nata in modo casuale, grazie a un incontro a casa di Michelangelo (produttore e coautore della canzone), a una nota sbagliata che ha dato vita al ritornello e alla voglia di entrambi di esprimere un sentimento che appartiene a tutte le generazioni: «Perché a ogni età i sentimenti, soprattutto l’amore, ci rendono fragili e felici nello stesso momento» ha dichiarato Blanco, che subito dopo la proclamazione è corso ad abbracciare i genitori e ha dedicato la vittoria alla fidanzata, Giulia. Non è detto, quindi, che i due continueranno a collaborare. Anche se, di certo, si presenteranno insieme al Pala Olimpico di Torino, dove rappresenteranno l’Italia.

TORINO LI ASPETTA

Leggermente più “giovane” di Sanremo (ha 68 anni contro i 72 del nostro Festival), l’Eurovision Song Contest, o Eurofestival, è una kermesse musicale trasmessa in tutto il mondo che quest'anno vedrà la partecipazione di 41 Paesi. L’Italia ha l’onore di ospitarlo, in quanto l’edizione del 2021 è stata vinta dai Måneskin e a condurre la manifestazione ci sarà un super terzetto composto da Laura Pausini, Mika e Alessandro Cattelan, che hanno già annunciato un’edizione multilingue. Dopo il trionfo di Zitti e buoni dell’anno scorso, l’Italia può vincere di nuovo? Prima dei Måneskin, gli unici a conquistare il festival europeo erano stati Gigliola Cinquetti nel 1964 con Non ho l’età e Toto Cutugno con Insieme nel 1992. Ora, un nuovo trionfo con Mahmood e Blanco sarebbe davvero ”da brividi”!

:uk: Google translator

Spoiler

Towards Eurovision with Chills

After the triumph in Sanremo, Blanco and Mahmood will compete for Italy in the most anticipated international event. Ready to cheer them on?

It was the Sanremo Festival with the highest ratings of the last 20 years and, from the first evening, Blanco and Mahmood were among the favorites. Their Chills, a romantic ballad that sings the fear of feeling inadequate in love ("Sometimes I don't know how to express myself / And I would like to love you but I'm always wrong") won first place, placing itself in front of Elisa's delicate hymn to love, O maybe it's you, and to the engaging Open All Doors sung by Gianni Morandi. And now the couple formed by the 29-year-old Alessandro Mahmood, already winner of Sanremo 2019 with Soldi and Riccardo Fabbriconi (Blanco), 19 years old on 10 February, is preparing for the next test, the international challenge of the Eurovision Song Contest. In reality, the two artists clarify, their collaboration for this song was born in a casual way, thanks to a meeting at the home of Michelangelo (producer and co-author of the song), to a wrong note that gave birth to the refrain and the desire to both of them express a feeling that belongs to all generations: "Because at any age, feelings, especially love, make us fragile and happy at the same time," said Blanco, who immediately after the proclamation ran to embrace his parents and he dedicated the victory to his girlfriend, Giulia. It is not therefore certain that the two will continue to collaborate. Although, of course, they will present themselves together at the Pala Olimpico in Turin, where they will represent Italy.

TURIN IS WAITING FOR THEM

Slightly "younger" than Sanremo (68 years old compared to 72 at our Festival), the Eurovision Song Contest, or Eurofestival, is a musical festival broadcast all over the world which this year will see the participation of 41 countries. Italy has the honor of hosting it, as the 2021 edition was won by the Måneskin and leading the event will be a super trio composed of Laura Pausini, Mika and Alessandro Cattelan, who have already announced a multilingual edition. After the triumph of Zitti e buona last year, can Italy win again? Before Måneskin, the only ones to conquer the European festival were Gigliola Cinquetti in 1964 with Non ho l'età and Toto Cutugno with Together in 1992. Now, a new triumph with Mahmood and Blanco would really be "creepy"!

1073003284_Confidenze_N.07_15-Feb-2022_p_16.thumb.jpg.824472e1b3f1b4fb7b70a26b626c5007.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1