The Writer's Block Thread

TinyLove_CJ

This is a thread for all aspiring writers. Whether you suffer from writer's block or are a pro at procrastination, this thread is a place to discuss writing techniques, styles and inspiration. All to help you put pen to paper!

If you have any writing advice or tips then please do share here 😊.

Feel free to also use this space to share any of your own creative writing too. Whether that's stories, poetry or even song lyrics!

All creativity is welcome here!

As Philip Pullman once said "Read like a butterfly, write like a bee."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So good idea ! I'm in it ! :excite:

In theory I'm already a writer, I'm registered at France's national library. The problem is,  it's only theory, and it will probably be the case for a long time !  :lol3: 

I feel like I will enjoy myself here, though :wub2:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

I feel like I will enjoy myself here, though

I'm glad 😊, hopefully this thread will be useful for all writers. I will add a little of my own advice tomorrow. 

Being registered at France's National Library sounds interesting, how did that come about?

• Like 1

Thank you @TinyLove_CJ for starting this thread. :) I'm an aspiring writer, currently going through a bout of writer's block, at least as far as fiction is concerned.

One thing I always try to remind myself is how even when I'm not typing or putting words to paper, I can still observe the world and my thoughts with a writer's mind, and continue to read other people's writing, published or not. Simply the act of writing a letter to someone, or an online post or comment, is a step in the "write" direction (couldn't help the pun, I'm sorry!). That way I can eventually loosen up enough to circle back around to the screen, or my notebook, and write what I've actually been meaning to write all along.

Does anyone else find themselves staring into space sometimes and realizing that you've been thinking about your story for the past several minutes without paying attention to what's going on around you? I was especially guilty of this at times last year, when I was in the thick of writing. Sometimes the characters almost felt more real than reality, which then made me feel bad about unintentionally ignoring friends, family, etc. But I suppose that's just the nature of having an active imagination - hopefully they're used to it by now!

5 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

In theory I'm already a writer, I'm registered at France's national library.

Last thought, because I'm curious too - how DID you get registered at the National Library, and what does that mean? Asking as an American who doesn't understand everything about European culture, although I did work and study there for a little bit. :dunno_grin:

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

Does anyone else find themselves staring into space sometimes and realizing that you've been thinking about your story for the past several minutes without paying attention to what's going on around you?

I have found myself doing this more and more frequently lately! Anything up to half an hour or more can pass me by while my brain goes into story mode. Usually happens when I hear or see something that might have a link with my story.

I understand what you mean about characters feeling real. My own are very much real to me and I often find myself having conversations with them! :lmfao:

Some are more talkative than others while some don't say a word! 

(now I know how Philip Pullman felt when he created the Golden Monkey 😆)

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I understand what you mean about characters feeling real. My own are very much real to me and I often find myself having conversations with them! :lmfao:

Ha ha,  me too ! I thought I was the only one ! :lol3:

1 hour ago, Aki Celeste said:

Last thought, because I'm curious too - how DID you get registered at the National Library, and what does that mean? Asking as an American who doesn't understand everything about European culture, although I did work and study there for a little bit. :dunno_grin:

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I'm glad 😊, hopefully this thread will be useful for all writers. I will add a little of my own advice tomorrow. 

Being registered at France's National Library sounds interesting, how did that come about?

In fact, it's simply a legal obligation. As soon as you publish or auto-publish a book you plan to sell in France, beside your family/friends, you have the obligation to register at the national library. I auto-published one (because I can be quite stubborn when I want and I simply wanted to make all on my own), so I had to register as author at the national library, with my book. I have an ID as a writer and people can find me, though, it doesn't change anything for me until I can win my money with its, and that's not the case at all (an as soon as I'm afraid, it will not be the case). 

That's why I'm "already a writer" in theory, but in reality... I still have a long way to go ! :lol3:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Presci1108 said:

Ha ha,  me too ! I thought I was the only one ! :lol3:

In fact, it's simply a legal obligation. As soon as you publish or auto-publish a book you plan to sell in France, beside your family/friends, you have the obligation to register at the national library. I auto-published one (because I can be quite stubborn when I want and I simply wanted to make all on my own), so I had to register as author at the national library, with my book. I have an ID as a writer and people can find me, though, it doesn't change anything for me until I can win my money with its, and that's not the case at all (an as soon as I'm afraid, it will not be the case). 

That's why I'm "already a writer" in theory, but in reality... I still have a long way to go ! :lol3:

I had no clue :doh: I also self published a book on amazon a few years go (the link is in my siggie) but should I? I am French too.

Thank you for opening this thread @TinyLove_CJ :clap::hug:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I had no clue :doh: I also self published a book on amazon a few years go (the link is in my siggie) but should I? I am French too.

In theory, I think we must :huh:  It explains the legal obligations on wikipedia (well, I know it's not always right, but it seems it is in that case). It seems the "dépot légal" is an obligation, and also the protection of youth commission's approval when it's a book for children and teenagers.

Auto-édition — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

(that explains pretty much why I self published, too...) 

In the facts, I'm not sure every auto-published authors make it,especially since we don't sell much, but I think it's better, like that we can prove we're the author and if we start to have some readers, we're sure we will not have problems in the future. 

Anyway, I don't know if it's the same on amazon (or maybe they make it automatically ?) ... that's strange they didn't explain that... When I self published mine, there was some explanations on this subject... It's how I knew. :huh:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

In theory, I think we must :huh:  It explains the legal obligations on wikipedia (well, I know it's not always right, but it seems it is in that case). It seems the "dépot légal" is an obligation, and also the protection of youth commission's approval when it's a book for children and teenagers.

Auto-édition — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

(that explains pretty much why I self published, too...) 

In the facts, I'm not sure every auto-published authors make it,especially since we don't sell much, but I think it's better, like that we can prove we're the author and if we start to have some readers, we're sure we will not have problems in the future. 

Anyway, I don't know if it's the same on amazon (or maybe they make it automatically ?) ... that's strange they didn't explain that... When I self published mine, there was some explanations on this subject... It's how I knew. :huh:

I did it on amazon us I guess that's why....not sure French law applies there...but it doesn't really matter as it is a book of love poems so not for kids and I didn't sell many either :wink2:

I can't even check :lmfao:

I know a few friends bought it but that's it.

I wanted to make a book to save the poems I had on a blog when those blogs were shut (my.opera blogs) 

It's a shame those were shut because there was such a nice community there. 

Amazon gave a code to my book so that's already a good thing :original:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

A little writer's block advice. 

I'm sure as writers we've all gone through writer's block at some point. Philip Pullman's 'Daemon Voices' shares some advice on this and it's something that has really helped me out.

Whenever you're stuck in a rut and don't know what to write, grab your notebook, laptop or whatever you use, and start writing a conversation. It can be literally anything! It could start really simple like this: 

"Hello, what's your name?" 

"Hello, my name is Michael..." 

and then take the conversation further in any way you want. You could even write down something you overheard while shopping or on the bus. Start writing it down and then gradually add new things to it. Add parts of your own story to it, like the setting or characters. After a while you might find that your own story is beginning to develop, all from that initial conversation that you wrote down at the start. 

If you find what you've written doesn't entirely relate to your main story writing, then that's ok! What matters is that you actually wrote something. Doing this every so often will hopefully get you into the habit of writing more freely and on a regular basis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

A little writer's block advice. 

I'm sure as writers we've all gone through writer's block at some point. Philip Pullman's 'Daemon Voices' shares some advice on this and it's something that has really helped me out.

Whenever you're stuck in a rut and don't know what to write, grab your notebook, laptop or whatever you use, and start writing a conversation. It can be literally anything! It could start really simple like this: 

"Hello, what's your name?" 

"Hello, my name is Michael..." 

and then take the conversation further in any way you want. You could even write down something you overheard while shopping or on the bus. Start writing it down and then gradually add new things to it. Add parts of your own story to it, like the setting or characters. After a while you might find that your own story is beginning to develop, all from that initial conversation that you wrote down at the start. 

If you find what you've written doesn't entirely relate to your main story writing, then that's ok! What matters is that you actually wrote something. Doing this every so often will hopefully get you into the habit of writing more freely and on a regular basis.

This is some great advice! I'll try it next time I'm looking for inspiration :thumb_yello:

I often find that writing prompts help when I'm searching for new ideas. There are plenty of them on the internet and there are also some amazing books. One of my favourites is 642 Things To Write About by the San Francisco Writer's Grotto. I'd definitely recommend it to writers of all genres and abilities!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, teenagedreamer98 said:

One of my favourites is 642 Things To Write About by the San Francisco Writer's Grotto. I'd definitely recommend it to writers of all genres and abilities!

I had a quick look at that book on Amazon and it definitely looks like something I would use! There seems to be a few different types too by the San Francisco Writer's Grotto, I'll probably have a look at a few more too 😊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I had a quick look at that book on Amazon and it definitely looks like something I would use! There seems to be a few different types too by the San Francisco Writer's Grotto, I'll probably have a look at a few more too 😊

Yeah, there's a whole series of them - I think I actually have most of them!  What I like about them is that they're really quirky and I would never have thought up some of the prompt ideas on my own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a thought that's been on my mind for a while: as a writer, how do we work with the question of originality? The more I read of other people's work, the more I realize that everyone's writing is informed by others in some way or another. I guess that's why the number one piece of advice for aspiring writers tends to be, "Keep reading." Is the pursuit of writing really about being the most original voice out there, or are we entitled to borrow from the things we read, pulling together our own particular mishmash of influences? I'm not talking about outright plagiarism, of course, but even that can be murky...

• Like 1

And here's another thought, because it's Friday and I can't help myself. :D Has anyone read Margaret Atwood's book on writing, referenced below in a recent interview that was published in The Atlantic? I'm vaguely familiar with her work (The Handmaid's Tale and a couple others), but the interview was funny and insightful and makes me want to read more!

"Writers are many and varied, from those writing a true romance under a pseudonym—one of the people I knew who did that was 6 foot 8 and a biker—all the way to Flaubert. So it’s just not one personality type. If you look at the beginning of my book Negotiating with the Dead: A Writer on Writing, I tried to look for motives, and they ranged from “to justify the ways of God to man” to “to get back at the people who were mean to me in high school.” And there’s no reason why it can’t be both."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aki Celeste said:

So here's a thought that's been on my mind for a while: as a writer, how do we work with the question of originality? The more I read of other people's work, the more I realize that everyone's writing is informed by others in some way or another. I guess that's why the number one piece of advice for aspiring writers tends to be, "Keep reading." Is the pursuit of writing really about being the most original voice out there, or are we entitled to borrow from the things we read, pulling together our own particular mishmash of influences? I'm not talking about outright plagiarism, of course, but even that can be murky...

I think the majority of writers always want to create something that is new and original. To create something completely different from anyone else. That used to be at the back of my mind when I was younger and I gave up on a lot of ideas simply because I thought they might have been done before. At one point I wanted to be a fantasy writer and I guess my ideas back then were very cliché of that genre (i.e alternate world, dragons, Knight in shining armor, that kind of thing 🙄), and yes, those kinds of stories have been done before but I realise now that it shouldn't have put me off writing. Just because I was influenced by fantasy authors growing up, that doesn't mean my own stories would be an exact copy. But I do think that if I'd have stayed on the path of fantasy writing, my stories would have become far too similar to what's already out there. 

Every story can come across as original in some way. I do wonder though if creating something 100% original is actually possible. As writers how can we not be influenced by what we've seen, heard or read? That's why I do think writers have the right to borrow from others, to take snippets of inspiration and meld them together into something that can become original for you. I think that's where originality truly comes from, allowing yourself to take a little something from another writer (or wherever you get inspiration) and then develop it into your own style. I do this when I come across something that might be relevant for my writing, but there is definitely a fine line between being inspired by something and taking the same idea as another author. A good writer should know where to draw the line though when it comes to plagiarism! 

That's not to say that an initial idea can't be original. No two people are going to have the same thoughts about starting a story, even if they happened to be influenced by the same things. Something that I think helps with my own writing to keep it as original as possible, is that I don't force ideas onto myself. What I mean is, that when I do get an idea for something I don't think to myself "Right, I MUST find out what this means and develop it straight away", instead I might let the idea rest for a while and usually write it down too. I'll come back to the idea and then see if any links to the rest of my writing will come naturally to me. Does that make sense? 

I write because I enjoy it, and with the hope that one day it will be published! I guess if I worry too much about originality I'd never get it finished 😅, so I try not to let it bother me too much anymore. I know that what I'm creating is mine and I just hope that I don't come across anything like it before I get a book deal! 😁

4 hours ago, Aki Celeste said:

I tried to look for motives, and they ranged from “to justify the ways of God to man” to “to get back at the people who were mean to me in high school.” And there’s no reason why it can’t be both."

Love this! And can definitely relate, especially with the whole getting back at people :teehee:

Not actually read any of Margaret Atwood's books though, might have to look them up now.

24 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

As writers how can we not be influenced by what we've seen, heard or read? That's why I do think writers have the right to borrow from others, to take snippets of inspiration and meld them together into something that can become original for you. I think that's where originality truly comes from, allowing yourself to take a little something from another writer (or wherever you get inspiration) and then develop it into your own style.

This is pretty much the conclusion I've come to - we're all mixologists, and each of us has our own unique way of mixing influences and ideas, or expressing our gratitude and inspiration from writers who went before. If the same can be true of music, why not writing too?

26 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Not actually read any of Margaret Atwood's books though, might have to look them up now.

The only book of hers I remember reading besides Handmaid's Tale was Cat's Eye and a few short stories, and my general impression was that they were somewhat depressing but very unique and intriguing to read. I think I will give her writing book a try, unless something else at the library catches my eye first. :) 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 11:07 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I did have a look at some of Margaret's books online. I read the plots of a few of them and I really don't think they're for me. Especially Handmaid's Tale, dystopian world where women are forced to have children? No thank you! :no:

This topic about originality has made me think a bit deeper about my own influences on my writing though. I've realised that it has not always been books that have influenced me.

One of my main characters is German - One of my favourite digital artists is also German and loves wolves (yes, that's relevant)

One of my characters is a tall lanky surgeon - inspiration from a UK medical drama series

Secret hospital in my story - may have taken this straight from Batwoman

There's a strong witchcraft theme in my story - I live near the Yorkshire moors and have heard a few folk tales growing up about medicinal plants and strange people living in the woods

I have other influences too of course but I don't want to flood the thread with where all my inspiration comes from 😅. I'm also greatly inspired by music, I've often got ideas just from a single line of a song, but that's something I think I'll leave for a later discussion 😊

Also, thinking back to my fantasy writing, it seems to me that fantasy is the most copied genre of writing. I could be a bit biased though, I've read a lot of fantasy books compared to other genres. I've just noticed over the years that a lot carry the same themes and plot lines. There's so many 'alternate world' and 'must-find-mystic-item' stories out there now, fantasy can be such a broad spectrum, it's annoying to come across the same story over and over again.

I read the Game of Thrones books a few months ago and recently finished Lord of the Rings. Martin might as well have thought "I know, I'll take Tolkein's idea, take out the rings, make it ten times longer and also add my own mystical beings in the forest." 🙃

Saying that, I do still have a fantasy story idea. It might not be the most original either, I was heavily influenced by Christopher Paolini. I don't know if I'll ever get back to writing fantasy, at least not while I'm working on my horror story anyway!

On 2/22/2022 at 8:15 AM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Especially Handmaid's Tale, dystopian world where women are forced to have children? No thank you! :no:

That's the precise reason I avoided watching the TV series (visual media tend to affect me more negatively than written). But the book is actually not as devastating as I thought it would be, somehow? Sometimes I read things anyway even if I'm not sure I'll like them, but I totally respect your not wanting to go there.

Regarding your thoughts about influences in writing, I think we can definitely be influenced by art outside of other stories, including music (which is definitely a whole separate topic in itself, like you said). One related thing that I've always found interesting about internet culture in particular is the concept of the "Easter egg," wherein a reference is made to another work, such as a song lyric or a movie quote. Would that be considered unnecessary borrowing or even plagiarism, or is it just a way to pay homage to something that's already popular? I find myself occasionally inserting Easter eggs in my stories based on Mika's songs, sometimes without meaning to!

Fantasy is an interesting genre to me in that it seems to be largely based on a limited set of tropes, but the magic is seeing how many different variations can be made on the same basic plot (kind of like what you were saying about Tolkien and Martin). But I can see how it might get boring after a while. Horror at least allows us to explore the sides of humanity that are not always widely acknowledged.

What are some of your favorite horror influences, if you don't mind me asking? I've always been intrigued by the genre but haven't actually read that much, besides the ubiquitous Stephen King and a few random books like Perfume: The Story of a Murderer and short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, etc. I recently finished watching the TV series Hannibal, which definitely falls into the horror category, but it was a bit too visceral for me in parts (lots of eye-covering!). I enjoy horror with supernatural elements more, like Medium or again, Stephen King. Michael Crichton might be considered horror too, I suppose, although he didn't write so much about the supernatural as he wrote about the ways that medicine/science can go wrong.

Goodness, I can go on sometimes! That's quite enough from me; time to get back to actual writing. :D 

On 2/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, Aki Celeste said:

I find myself occasionally inserting Easter eggs in my stories based on Mika's songs, sometimes without meaning to!

I do this too! I think the subconscious part of my mind is always thinking about Mika! I first noticed an unintentional Mika reference when I wrote some notes for the end of my story, I read it back and thought "Hang on, why did I write about Dr.John?!" 😅

At school I remember my English teacher doing a lesson on taking direct quotes or influences from other sources and adding it into your writing. I remember for the lesson we had to read a story and pick out the "easter eggs", the story was full of references to old fairy tales. I think using Easter eggs comes down to a fair use policy, if it's a simple reference then I certainly think that's ok, lyrics and movie quotes come up in all kinds of writing, but longer passages that are just copied and pasted, usually with a few words changed here and there, are definitely stepping into plagiarism.

I prefer Easter eggs that are more of a subtle nod to the original source material rather than an outright copy of text. The kind that do remind you of something else and leave you wondering where you've seen/heard that before and then after a few minutes of reading it finally clicks!

I only really tend to notice Easter eggs in movies, I've probably read loads in books and never realised! 
(although I do notice references to Dracula in pretty much every other vampire book)

On 2/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, Aki Celeste said:

Horror at least allows us to explore the sides of humanity that are not always widely acknowledged.

This is very true! Horror doesn't always have to be blood and gore, it can be used as a way to depict very deep (and dark!) human behaviour. At least that's what I'm trying to do with my own story.

My favourite horror influences have come from films and TV much more than books actually. My favourite horror film is American Werewolf in London, and that is definitely a BIG influence for my story! I actually watched some horror films when I was quite young, which I think explains a lot now! 😅
(I watched Halloween and Final Destination when I was only 11).

I love horror films, the gorier the better! Perfectly fine with seeing blood shed on the screen (is that worrying? :teehee:). I do prefer monster horror and supernatural though compared to more psychological horror.

I do have some influences from books though. My favourite at the moment would have to be Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles books. The way Lestat has an unusual fascination with death has influenced one of my more darker characters in my story.

For the more darker side of human behaviour, I have also been influenced by real life crime, some humans can be more evil than any monster I've seen on screen.

Also I looked up Perfume and it sounds so dark, I'm definitely intrigued by it, might have to give that a read. I have Hannibal on my 'To Watch' list but at the moment my Mum is refusing to watch it with me 😅. And I never knew that Jurassic Park was based on a novel by Micheal Crichton! I love the movies so much too!

10 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

How could I forget Edgar Allan Poe?! There's a big nod to The Tell Tale Heart in part 1 of my story and I have a character actually called Edgar in part 2! 😄

How could you forget? :doh: Tell-Tale Heart is THE classic of classic EAP tales. :)  In regards to your previous comment, I can't believe I forgot Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, which I devoured in my college years! I guess I viewed them more as dark fantasy than horror, but I can see how they could just as easily be both.

Hannibal is definitely not for the faint of heart, although I like the way the different relationships unfold across the series, including LGBT ones. It's too bad that it got cancelled after the 3rd season, just when the central relationship was starting to gain traction. I haven't read the books by Thomas Harris but may give it a go once I start craving horror again. Somehow the cannibalism doesn't bother me as much when I don't have to look at the results. :dunno:

The Jurassic Park series is just amazing, from what I remember. I haven't read the books in a long time, but I was obsessed with them, and the movies, during my pre-teen years. Most of Michael Crichton's other work is pretty good too, although I felt like he went on thin ice with a few (thinking of Disclosure, which addresses workplace sexism in an unusual way, and another one that questions the validity of climate change, maybe?).

I haven't watched American Werewolf but will probably get to it at some point, seeing as my most recent story has a central werewolf character!

11 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I prefer Easter eggs that are more of a subtle nod to the original source material rather than an outright copy of text. The kind that do remind you of something else and leave you wondering where you've seen/heard that before and then after a few minutes of reading it finally clicks!

This is pretty much the point of an Easter egg to me. Anything that's more than subtle kind of ruins the effect, not to mention straying into plagiarism, because they're meant to be recognizable by people who already know and love the source material. But yes, I think you're right that Easter eggs are more noticeable in movies or other visual media (I can think of a few YouTubers who like to sprinkle them into their videos, for example).

That's really funny that you notice Mika's influence sneaking into your writing too. As long as I remember to credit him, I don't think of it as problematic, especially if I can spread awareness of him and his music that way!

• Like 1

I'm realising how my horror story has developed over the years. My initial idea from years ago was actually quite mild compared to what I'm working on now. At the start it was more 'Teen Drama' but with a supernatural twist. I feel like the story has grown with me since then to become something much more personal and definitely darker 😅

I keep saying horror story, which it is in general terms, but the horror/gore side really isn't the main focus. Part 1 is about how trauma can change a person and how they overcome that trauma by dipping into the dark side. And Part 2 is a love story actually! Sadly with lots of tragedy, revenge and ultimately, regret. 

Actually saying "parts" doesn't actually feel right, and I guess it's misleading for me to say story when it should be stories. I am currently writing two stories that are both set in the same horror world I've created. Each story follows a different main character and they are stand alone stories. Reading one isn't entirely necessary to read the other, although a couple of characters do cross over between the two.

I've also got a lot of notes down for a third story, and it's quite far removed from the horror side of things actually, but still set in the same world.

I also have an idea for a short spin off, but it really is just a glimmer of an idea in my head at the moment!

• Like 1

Anyone doing LGBT+ writing, this might be of interest. The author Jonathan Kemp is running an online 3 month course on queer writing. It's £250, which I do think is a bit steep but bursaries are available. If I had more spare time I'd be tempted. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CahoQHKoMam/?utm_medium=copy_link

On 2/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Anyone doing LGBT+ writing, this might be of interest. The author Jonathan Kemp is running an online 3 month course on queer writing. It's £250, which I do think is a bit steep but bursaries are available. If I had more spare time I'd be tempted. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CahoQHKoMam/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'd never heard of Jonathan Kemp, but I started reading London Triptych yesterday and I am so hooked! The  time zone/time commitment doesn't really work for me, but I did see another, one-day workshop with the same organization that looks fun and interesting: 

https://www.outonthepage.co.uk/event-details/writing-workout-lost-in-music-15-10 

It's right before Mika's first stop on his US tour, in Boston, so the timing seems pretty spot-on for me. Maybe I'll give it go! :) 

• Like 1