Eurovision 2022 - national entries

silver

1 minute ago, carafon said:

On the other hand Spain , Italy , Serbia or Netherland had a pretty good ranking with their own language . And Ukrain as well , even if their situation was special

Yes but you can't compare Spanish or Italian with Czech. The same with French. These are all big languages. If the message of the song isn't clear, people won't vote for it because they don't understand. Some countries even use subtitles because of that (Serbia this year for example). 

Oh, there's another thing that gets on my nerve regarding the voting... People now complain that the competition got political because Ukraine won. But nobody cares that there are juries that every year give 12 points to their neighbours (Portugal & Spain, Greece & Cyprus, Serbia & Montenegro...). Even though they are supposed to rate the quality of the song regardless where it comes from. But apparently, that's not politics... :doh:

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

Yes but you can't compare Spanish or Italian with Czech. The same with French. These are all big languages. If the message of the song isn't clear, people won't vote for it because they don't understand. Some countries even use subtitles because of that (Serbia this year for example). 

The subtitle idea of Serbia was great .

Portugal and Netherland were good to show the feeling even if their langages are not among the most current ones

I can understand it's a dilemna for countries like yours , it's more difficult to understand for Belgium or Switzerland .

Don't know if it was my tv sound or my ears that were not good  , but ,tbh , I sometimes needed some time to realize that some contestants were singing in English :naughty:.

And sometimes when lyrics are poor it's not that damagable if nobody understand.... :naughty: .

10 hours ago, carafon said:

I felt a bit desappointed that so many countries had an English song.

I tend to agree with @giraffeandy, for example for me Serbia's song was a nonsense, but then I found out that the message of the lyrics it's very deep and wise. Perhaps if it was in English, more people would have appreciate it. 

Now it depends on the melody as well, look at Moldova. Even if they sang in Romanian, they gained the public sympathy because the melody was catchy, you never know what to expect :original: 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I'm quite sad that many people think Ukraine only won because of the war.

Their song was very good, but probably they wouldn't have get the first place if it wasn't the current situation, let's face it ... in the end people didn't voted  only for the song, but also to show their support and send a message of compassion to the world. And I am very happy that Ukraine won, they deserve it! 

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

I really liked Sweden

Me too, really good song! Italy was good as well, but since I've heard Diodato's song :wub2: ... one of the most brilliant moments of Eurovision ever, even if he couldn't compete. 

Uk song still not a favorite of mine, but that guy has a great voice.

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

On the other hand, I was really shocked how well Moldova did! For me, it was probably the worst song of the night but they got so many points... 

Lol, that song it's different indeed, but I guess it was the rhythm that hooked the audience, because I'm sure the message wasn't clear for the most of the audience :wink2:

3 minutes ago, krysady said:

Their song was very good, but probably they wouldn't have get the first place if it wasn't the current situation, let's face it ... in the end people didn't voted  only for the song, but also to show their support and send a message of compassion to the world. And I am very happy that Ukraine won, they deserve it! 

I mean of course it had an impact but what I meant to say was that it makes me sad when people are angry about Ukraine winning "because of the war". On Twitter many people were complaining and especially people from countries finishing right behind them were bitter. I just wish people would let Ukraine have this moment without these mean comments. Also their song was actually really good.

4 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I mean of course it had an impact but what I meant to say was that it makes me sad when people are angry about Ukraine winning "because of the war". On Twitter many people were complaining and especially people from countries finishing right behind them were bitter. I just wish people would let Ukraine have this moment without these mean comments. Also their song was actually really good.

Yes, I've seen a lot of comments and the most shocking were that nazi won... so many people brainwashed by Russian propaganda :sad:

• Sad 3

I've seen a lot of comments too that the voting was rigged to let Ukraine win. Some people are really bitter about it and just being so mean. Ukraine deserved to win, they need this moment of joy in their lives to celebrate with and have a little time out from the war situation. I didn't like their song at first but it's really grown on me and I find myself having it stuck in my head sometimes!

I also think the band are really brave, they said that once Eurovision is over they'll be going back to Ukraine to fight in the war, got to admire them for that.

I'm still surprised by how well the UK did, we haven't been that close to winning since we did win in 1997! We got more points this year than the last eleven UK entries combined! I still don't like the song (and it's certainly not a grower) but Sam has done well. Being a Eurovison contestant will no doubt boost his singing career now!

• Like 2

Currently there's a big scandal here on our media. It seems the Romanian jury gave 12 points to Moldova ( as always) and the Eurovision organizer didn't allow to the Romanian presenter to enter the live show, and gave our 12 points to Ukraine... they said the connection is broken, but in fact it wasn't. 

I'm curios how the situation will end, but I'm still glad that Ukraine won :original:

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I've seen a lot of comments too that the voting was rigged to let Ukraine win. Some people are really bitter about it and just being so mean. Ukraine deserved to win, they need this moment of joy in their lives to celebrate with and have a little time out from the war situation. I didn't like their song at first but it's really grown on me and I find myself having it stuck in my head sometimes!

Of course we can't deny that the situation in Ukrain had a role in the public vote , but in the other hand watching all the points that the jury gave to Spain I'm not sure that music was the only reason ....:naughty:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, carafon said:

I understand , but at on the other hand , it doesn't look like this strategy worked for Germany or Belgium for exemple.

On the other hand Spain , Italy , Serbia or Netherland had a pretty good ranking with their own language . And Ukrain as well , even if their situation was special

For me the ranking of France doesn't result from the language's choice but because the song was not good enough . 

I think the rules say you can enter a song in English, French, or your own national language.

Ukraine's song was one of the favourites even before the war began; I thought it was a good song anyway.  And people wanted to show their support.

Disappointed for the Czech song, as I thought it was better than many that finished higher (and it was the Czech song I was humming to myself this morning).

Baffled by the huge public vote for Moldova.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, silver said:

Ukraine's song was one of the favourites even before the war began; I thought it was a good song anyway.  And people wanted to show their support.

Disappointed for the Czech song, as I thought it was better than many that finished higher (and it was the Czech song I was humming to myself this morning).

Baffled by the huge public vote for Moldova.

:yeah: I agree with all your points, exactly my feelings and thoughts! 

2 hours ago, silver said:

Ukraine's song was one of the favourites even before the war began; I thought it was a good song anyway. 

I didn't know, initially it was Alina Pash who had to represent Ukraine at Eurovision this year. She even was invited and performed her song on several TV channels here in my country. Then a few days before the war started, she was withdrawn from the contest because they found out she entered Crimea in 2015, and according to the Ukrainian law it's illegal to enter Crimea via Russia. So they have chosen the second place to represent them in Torino.  

This is the first entry:

I don't think that song would have won, no matter how much people wanted to support Ukraine.  Performed live, I think there would have been too much opportunity to go off-key.

Seen a few comments asking why anyone voted for Moldova. Well, it's called fun. Was it the best song? No. Did it get everybody dancing and clapping along? Yes. It's a fun party song, and a welcome break from the serious entries singing earnestly about doom and gloom. It brought some of the traditional Eurovision party spirit back into the room. That's why people voted for it. 

In my opinion, of course. :grandma:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hero said:

Seen a few comments asking why anyone voted for Moldova. Well, it's called fun. Was it the best song? No. Did it get everybody dancing and clapping along? Yes. It's a fun party song, and a welcome break from the serious entries singing earnestly about doom and gloom. It brought some of the traditional Eurovision party spirit back into the room. That's why people voted for it. 

In my opinion, of course. :grandma:

Oh, I agree it was fun, but no way the best song.  

I was surprised at the UK winning the jury vote, that was unexpected. He's got a good voice but I didn't think the song was a winner - top 5 maybe. 

I really loved the Netherlands entry, it was simply presented and well sung. Would have been nice to see that get more points.  Switzerland deserved to do better. And I'm surprised Estonia didn't get more. Really wasn't fussed about Iceland or Portugal. The Romanian song grew on me, wasn't keen at first but it's a good hip shaker. 😅

• Like 1

Seeing Mika's reaction at the songs during the rehearsals, it's clear that he loved Swedish song a lot.

So the next year will be the last time Australia is taking part on the Eurovision?

• Sad 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:58 PM, carafon said:

Of course we can't deny that the situation in Ukrain had a role in the public vote , but in the other hand watching all the points that the jury gave to Spain I'm not sure that music was the only reason ....:naughty:

It sure wasn't :lmfao::floor: :lmao:

• Haha 1