War in Ukraine

Prisca

So today Zelensky has officially declared that Ukraine is at war. What do you think of all this? Will other European countries and the US go to war to defend Ukraine? I wish that peace would finally return. No sooner does the pandemic seem to turn into an endemic and then we are already riding towards the next catastrophe. :no:

It's still early and the war has only just begun and maybe it won't last too long, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will be over soon at the moment either. :dunno:

Why? :banghead:

In any case, we should travel and do things as much as we want in the near future. Who knows what will be a year from now? :dunno:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I really Don't know what to say, the Situation is scary and I which I knew More ways to help from the UK. But I've been trying to listen and Understand more 

As Prisca Said we don't know whats going to happen and its just been a day and already so many lives have been ruined 

I hope that Any Ukrainians can get to Safety.

• Like 1

The NATO countries have made it very clear that they won't take direct military action.  The relevant governments are hoping that the economic measures they are taking will disrupt the Russian economy (eventually) and cause Putin to withdraw.

I think Putin is showing the classic signs of a megalomaniac dictator who thinks he is invincible, so economic sanctions won't bother him.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Will other European countries and the US go to war to defend Ukraine?

I think no one can interfere with troops in Ukraine, unfortunately it's on their own hands now to defend their territory. The only thing that NATO can do is to defend the countries belonging to the Alliance. 

23 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Because Putin is a dangerous creature, a cold-blooded killing machine who have been trained his whole life for this by KGB.

It's sinister to watch the news and no one knows what to expect, this is only the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I am heartened by all the protests taking place in Russia (very brave people), Paris etc.  As I have said elsewhere, most ordinary people just want to get on with their lives and live in peace with their neighbours.

• Like 10

I also want to add I hope that Russians protesting are  safe 

I know most don’t agree Putin 

Hasnt putin said if anyone actually tries to help Ukraine he’ll make things worse (nuclear) also I may have been reading things wrong 

it’s scary and worrying 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BeccaStardust said:

I also want to add I hope that Russians protesting are  safe 

I know most don’t agree Putin 

Hasnt putin said if anyone actually tries to help Ukraine he’ll make things worse (nuclear) also I may have been reading things wrong 

it’s scary and worrying 

Yes, that's what he said. And people from Russia protesting on the streets are not safe, already around 1400 have been arrested from what I read.

Putin's plan is to recreate the former USSR and he will do everything for that, no matter how many innocent lives would be destroyed. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, krysady said:

Yes, that's what he said. And people from Russia protesting on the streets are not safe, already around 1400 have been arrested from what I read.

Putin's plan is to recreate the former USSR and he will do everything for that, no matter how many innocent lives would be destroyed. 

I didn’t know they had been arrested (I mean I’m not surprised )

yeah he doesn’t care and will just do what he wants and that’s why it’s so scary 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prisca said:

So today Zelensky has officially declared that Ukraine is at war. What do you think of all this? Will other European countries and the US go to war to defend Ukraine? I wish that peace would finally return. No sooner does the pandemic seem to turn into an endemic and then we are already riding towards the next catastrophe. :no:

It's still early and the war has only just begun and maybe it won't last too long, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will be over soon at the moment either. :dunno:

In any case, we should travel and do things as much as we want in the near future. Who knows what will be a year from now? :dunno:

It's been a difficult day. Hard to post light-hearted things about upcoming gigs, etc. knowing that a part of the world is in such turmoil.

I don't think the US will want to get involved in sending troops to battle -- at least, as the mother of a nearly 30-year-old son who might be called upon, I sure hope not!

Yes, it's hard to believe that we just feel like the pandemic is getting under control and this happens. Why? :overreact:

But I'm with you, Prisca -- we need to LIVE as much as possible while we can!

• Like 2

It's scary. I wish innocent people didn't have to go through all that. I hope it stops soon 😭😭😭 and I was thinking about it today as well... How can we enjoy concerts while this happens??? but horrible things happen in the world all the time. We just don't hear about it constantly. 😔

Edited by Sivan
  • Like 2

I can't stop thinking about the war. :emot-sad: I really wish I could do more and help somehow, there are many donations here, people collecting money or medical and military equipment, offering their houses for refugees etc. but it seems there's nothing I can do from my position. At least I signed up as a volunteer in a community center to help sort the supplies but they haven't called me yet so probably they have enough volunteers so far. Also in most cases they rather look for volunteers who speak Ukrainian or Russian. But I don't think I can fully enjoy anything under these circumstances. And I know there's still some war going on somewhere in the world but this one really hits too close to home. My grandmother is terrified, remembering the Russian invasion here in 1968 and how she felt back then. Everyone is talking about the situation and it feels like a nightmare. People on Twitter seriously asking if anyone has a bulletproof vest because they know some Ukranians returning home to fight, that's so surreal... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

51 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

And I know there's still some war going on somewhere in the world but this one really hits too close to home.

7 hours ago, Starlight said:

I'm quite worried what might happen... 

I'm also worried, and also know that there's conflicts in other parts of the world and always have been like that. But this time is different, now it's about a monster who have access to the nuclear weapons. And he is capable to use them. If he knows he'll die, he would want the entire world to disappear with him, there's no feelings or lucidity from his part. 

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

My grandmother is terrified, remembering the Russian invasion here in 1968 and how she felt back then.

I've heard many stories about that too in my family. Also I remember well the Chernobyl event. And now only the thought that the Russian army captured Chernobyl site it gives me cold shivers. I keep my hope that eventually people around Putin would realize that they must do something to stop this horror. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, krysady said:

Also I remember well the Chernobyl event.

Yeah, my grandmother also mentioned that on the phone today. 

It's scary how the history still repeats itself. :sad:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I can't believe the Russians fired shells at a nuclear power station.

Not that the Russian people will ever get to hear about it, as all the independent news sources have been closed down, and the state media just repeats Putin's warped view of the world.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, silver said:

Not that the Russian people will ever get to hear about it, as all the independent news sources have been closed down, and the state media just repeats Putin's warped view of the world.

And yesterday Putin has signed a law punishing “fake news” about the war with up to 15 years in prison. 

It's getting worse every day and people here are extremely worried, the stock of iodine in pharmacies is already off.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, krysady said:

It's getting worse every day and people here are extremely worried, the stock of iodine in pharmacies is already off.

I wish I didn't have to ask this, but were you able to get some iodine tablets? :emot-sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prisca said:

I wish I didn't have to ask this, but were you able to get some iodine tablets? :emot-sad:

No, I didn't, I will try again on Monday.

When Chernobyl happened, we got iodine two weeks after the explosion, which was totally useless. It has to be taken in the first hours after a nuclear event, but at that time we were under a dictatorship and they kept it secret for the population. So now everyone wants to be prepared for the worst scenario.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, krysady said:

No, I didn't, I will try again on Monday.

When Chernobyl happened, we got iodine two weeks after the explosion, which was totally useless. It has to be taken in the first hours after a nuclear event, but at that time we were under a dictatorship and they kept it secret for the population. So now everyone wants to be prepared for the worst scenario.  

In Switzerland, everyone living within 50 km of a nuclear power plant receives free iodine tablets. I still have mine, which I got when I lived in Zurich, and they will last until 2024.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Prisca said:

In Switzerland, everyone living within 50 km of a nuclear power plant receives free iodine tablets. I still have mine, which I got when I lived in Zurich, and they will last until 2024.

I've heard about that, this should be done everywhere... of course we hope it will never ever be the case to be used :no:

• Like 1

As any sort of nuclear "accident" in Ukraine would affect the Russian army there I don't believe they would do anything deliberately.  I wouldn't be surprised if no-one had told the young Russian soldiers they were fighting near a nuclear plant.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, silver said:

I wouldn't be surprised if no-one had told the young Russian soldiers they were fighting near a nuclear plant.

That's quite possible, but if the nuclear facility is damaged and radioactive material leaks out, it doesn't matter in the end whether it was intentional or not. :emot-sad:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, silver said:

I wouldn't be surprised if no-one had told the young Russian soldiers they were fighting near a nuclear plant.

No-one told them they are going to fight in the first place so that's very likely. They weren't prepared for a war. 

• Like 2