MIKA in UK Press - 2022

dcdeb

https://www.ok.co.uk/lifestyle/mika-life-now-hosting-eurovision-26534909

FROM OK Magazine:

Where is popstar Mika now? Noughties star will host Eurovision song contest in Italy

Catch up with the star of the noughties who was hailed as the "next Freddie Mercury" and sold millions of albums in the UK and across the pond where he was also nominated for a Grammy award

With his signature track Grace Kelly, infectious energy and bouncy curls, Mika was one of the standout stars of the noughties.

The popstar, now 38, was hailed as the "next Freddie Mercury" and topped the charts both in the UK and the US.

His most famous hits include Love Today, (Big Girls) You Are Beautiful and We Are Golden.

However, more recently the singer had slipped off our radar until the news arrived that he would be hosting this year's Eurovision song contest in Italy.

So what has Mika been up to? Let's take a look.

Musician Mika was one of the biggest music stars of the noughties

Musician Mika was one of the biggest music stars of the noughties

Mika has released five albums since making his debut Life In Cartoon Motion in 2006. While the first was an instant smash, and the second also performed well, Mika's latter albums have enjoyed less mainstream success in the UK.

However, the star's career has flourished in Europe where he is a regular coach on The Voice France and now a judge on The X Factor Italy.

Mika is a judge on X Factor Italy
Mika is a judge on The X Factor Italy

Mika also hosted his own television variety show in Italy, Stasera Casa Mika, which won the 2017 Rose d'Or Award for Entertainment.

The singer has also reportedly written songs for other musicians under a range of pseudonyms.

Speaking to ContactMusic, he previously said: "I write songs for other people under different names most of the time. I have a little family of three names. One of them has been discovered – it's Alice."

The star came out as gay in 2012 and has been in a relationship with the filmmaker Andreas Dermanis for the past ten years.

Mika
Mika in 2022 without his trademark curls

Despite now spending most of his time in Italy, Mika is due to perform at the London Roundhouse in July.

Before that, you can catch him hosting Eurovision alongside Laura Pausini and Alessandro Cattelan.

Speaking about his upcoming job presenting Eurovision, he said: "I’ve been watching it since I was a kid, the whole family would get together for the Grand Final.

Mika
Mika poses for a pic with his beloved dogs

"Once a year, more than 40 countries share the same emotions, regardless of history or the political situation: music unites them. It’s an exciting honour to be one of the masters of ceremony on these fantastic nights."

The 2022 competition will take place at the PalaOlimpico in Turin, Italy, with the Grand Final set for May 14.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

WIWILOGGS

https://wiwibloggs.com/2022/03/20/eurovision-2022-intervals-mika-and-laura-pausini-will-duet-during-semi-final-2-interval/271114/

Eurovision 2022 intervals: Mika and Laura Pausini will duet during Semi-Final 2

eurovision-2022-hosts-rai.jpg

The participating artists of Eurovision 2022 aren’t the only ones who will showcase their talents this May. Word has it that the Eurovision 2022 hosts — Laura Pausini, Mika and Alessandro Cattelan — will all have their own moments to shine — as both opening acts and interval acts. 

Speaking to Italian newspaper La Repubblica, Mika said he won’t just be hosting.

“I will also perform and I am thinking of a provocative performance. It will be a surprise. Eurovision is not just a show, it is like an Expo but concentrated in a few days.”

Eurovision 2022 interval acts

On top of that, sources close to the production of the Eurovision Song Contest tell Wiwibloggs that hosts Laura Pausini and Mika will perform a duet during the interval of Semi-Final 2.

Unlike with Madonna at Eurovision 2019, both Laura and Mika remain at the top of their game and are able to wow vocally, as well as with their stage presence. This promises to be a big moment.

Semi-Final 2 will also see Alessandro have his own moment by opening the show. Our sources say he will face some sort of backstage chaos — perhaps in a dressing room — and will rely on humour and his fancy footwork to make it to the stage. They tell us it will “last about the length of a Eurovision song,” which we take to mean three minutes.

Laura — among the best-known Italian singers globally — will rightfully get another chance to shine. Our girl is said to be opening the grand final.

The EBU recently told Heads of Delegation that peace will be a huge theme of this year’s event — a timely and appropriate choice in light of the war in Ukraine. Given that the slogan is “The Sound of Beauty,” we imagine an opening act entitled “The Sound of Peace.”

During the interval, Eurovision 2021 winners Måneskin will reprise their entry, while Mika will deliver the performance he hinted at with La Repubbclica

For years he’s been asked about Eurovision and whether he’d ever considered competing. He made it clear that he holds the show in high esteem, so surely this will be a special moment for him too.

“I don’t know, it never happened. But there are some things about Eurovision that I really liked. In England it has always been a sacred evening, first with the family, then in the pub with too many beers.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OIKOTIMES.CO.UK

https://oikotimes.co.uk/eurovision-2022-mika-guest-performance/#/

🇮🇹 Mika will have a surprise performance in Eurovision 2022!

ITALY – Mika speaks about the contest in an interview with La Repubblica a few hours ago, in which ample space was given to the Eurovision adventure of the 38-year-old native of Beirut, who focused on numerous aspects.

He finally reveals it

I will also perform and I am thinking of a provocative performance. It will be a surprise. Eurovision is not just a show, it is like an Expo but concentrated in a few days.

Why didn’t participate

I don’t know, it never happened. But there are some things about Eurovision that I really liked. In England it has always been a sacred evening, first with the family, then in the pub with too many beers.

And then he remembers some songs from the past, such as Sandie Shaw’s “Puppet on a string” (UK 1967, winner), “Love Shine a Light” by Katrina & the Waves (UK 1997, winners) and “Fly on the wings of love ”by the Olsen Brothers (Denmark 2000, winners).

About Måneskin

I remember when they came to sing at X-Factor in 2018 there I saw something very precise. I was shocked by the accuracy and attention to detail of the whole. This group understood the strength of detail and the strength of the collective gesture. I really like the precision with which they play, it’s all very very precise but then it can be a bit wild.

About Alessandro Cattelan and Laura Pausini

With Ale I have great laughs. Laura is a very hard worker. When I organized the benefit concert for Lebanon “I love Beirut” I called her 24 hours before she and I said: “If I get you the Colosseum, will you go there?”. She said yes right away and she worked until four in the morning. I feel very honoured to be part of this trio because I am not Italian but Italy and its musical and television culture have entered my heart.

I have always defended the idea of Europe. Despite having an American passport. Even in the era of the Enlightenment and Victor Hugo, what happened was possible thanks to the opening between borders. The darkest times in Europe were when there were raised walls. It is no coincidence that the Eurovision scenography will have a sun in the centre, a great light, an idea by Francesca (Montinaro, ed). A beautiful concept.

Between preferences and forced choices

I have a fondness for this Norwegian song about wolves and bananas, very funny. But I’m neutral, I can’t express preferences. In the songs, there are many oriental sounds. Even in the new piece of Ukraine, it’s a kind of Byzantine rap. (Referring to “Give that wolf a banana” by Subwoolfer and to “Stefania” by Kalush Orchestra)

About Russia

They had no choice considering what was going on. In an extreme situation, a decision had to be made. There will be all of Europe, delegations from all countries, how can you ignore it when there is so much violence?

Mika-.thumb.jpg.4da1b34dcd18b1e5831f144454bf5584.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So much :facepalm:. Not exactly the pinnacle of reporting...

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Despite now spending most of his time in Italy, Mika is due to perform at the London Roundhouse in July

Why "despite"? Does one preclude the other? Why are those facts even linked? :loco:

• Like 2

ESCXTRA.com

https://escxtra.com/2022/03/21/mika-plans-provocative-performance-for-eurovision-2022/

Mika plans "provocative performance" for Eurovision 2022

"I have a fondness for this Norwegian song about wolves and bananas, very funny"

Lebanese-born British singer Mika will host the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 together with Italian singer Laura Pausini and Italian presenter Alessandro Cattelan. In a recent interview with la Repubblica, the singer tells about his plans for the performance at the contest.

Next to hosting the contest, Mika, who is known from hits such as “Relax, Take It Easy” and “Grace Kelly” is set to perform during the Eurovision Song Contest. He says he is thinking of a provocative performance for this year’s contest.

According to Eurofestival News, the hosts Laura Pausini and Mika will perform in the second semi-final of the contest. There are also rumours that Laura Pausini will open the grand final of the contest in Turin, where also the winners of the Eurovision Song Contest 2021, Måneskin, are set to perform.

In the interview with la Repubblica, Mika also tells about his history with the contest. He says he remembers some songs from the past, for example “Puppet on a String”, and “Love Shine a Light” by Katrina and the Waves. He also remembers “Fly on the Wings of Love” and points out, that if you start singing the song in English pub, everyone will sing along on the chorus.

When talking about Eurovision Song Contest 2022, Mika mentions that while he needs to stay neutral and can’t express preferences, he has a fondness for the Norwegian entry, “Give That Wolf A Banana” by Subwoolfer. He also mentions that many of this year’s songs have oriental sounds, including the Ukrainian entry “Stefania”.

Who do you wish to see performing at the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 as interval act? Let us know! Be sure to stay updated by following @ESCXTRA on Twitter@escxtra on Instagram and liking our Facebook page for the latest updates! Also, be sure to follow us on Spotify and YouTube to see our reactions to the news in the run up to Eurovision 2022!

News Source 
 la Repubblica, Eurofestival News

Image Source
 Ⓒ Peter Lindbergh

Mika-Eurovision-2022-hosts_q70.thumb.jpg.0671d567ad8dde2b28a7fb83fe2dc8ea.jpg
  • Like 1

Sky News

https://news.sky.com/story/eurovision-2022-pop-icon-mika-among-the-hosts-at-this-years-contest-in-italy-12531981

Thursday 3 February 2022 15:10, UK

Eurovision 2022: Pop icon Mika among the hosts at this year's contest in Italy

Noughties pop icon Mika will be one of the hosts of this year's Eurovision Song Contest when it hits the stage in Italy.

The Grace Kelly singer will be joined by Alessandro Cattelan and Laura Pausini in Turin at the annual competition, which is now in its 66th year.

Mika has chart success in the late noughties with his album Life In Cartoon Motion, which featured massive hits such as Love Today and Lollipop, and went on to be a judge on the Italian version of the X-Factor.

Alt-rockers Maneskin won last year's competition in Rotterdam with the track Zitti E Buoni, meaning Italy would host the contest this year.

The grand final is due to take place on 14 May, with the semi-finals in the week building up to it.

"Introducing your Hosts for #Eurovision 2022!" the official Eurovision Song Contest account tweeted.

"Laura Pausini, Alessandro Cattelan and Mika will welcome the world to Turin on 10, 12, and 14 May! Benvenuti!"

The Big Girls singer said it was an "exciting honour" to host Eurovision, adding: "I've been watching it since I was a kid, the whole family would get together for the Grand Final.

"Once a year, more than 40 countries share the same emotions, regardless of history or the political situation: music unites them.

"It's an exciting honour to be one of the masters of ceremony on these fantastic nights."

The Lebanese-British performer is set to have a busy year, with a planned tour around the US and an appearance at Coachella.

His co-host Pausini is described as "possibly the most highly regarded Italian recording artist in the world" by organisers, having won a Grammy, Latin Grammys and even an Oscar nomination.

Cattelan is a popular television host in Italy, previously joining up with Mika on The X-Factor.

National selections for songs are well underway for this year's contest, with the UK opting to work with music management companies to pick its track, after scoring the dreaded nil points last year.

Mika, Laura Pausini and Alessandro Cattelan will all host Eurovision. Pic: RAI

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mikasister said:

I know UK fans might disagree, but tbh, if Mika is actually free that night before the London gig (which is unlikely anyway with his busy schedule), I'd prefer if he joined our MFC meetup instead of some random festival. :teehee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would love Mika to perform in Leeds again especially as I'm only 40 minutes away by car, but I highly doubt he'll agree to do this festival this year. I just can't see how it would fit with his schedule.

58 minutes ago, mellody said:

I know UK fans might disagree, but tbh, if Mika is actually free that night before the London gig (which is unlikely anyway with his busy schedule), I'd prefer if he joined our MFC meetup instead of some random festival. :teehee:

As much as I’d like to see him do something else in the uk (and I did at him on Twitter) other then London 

I doubt he would since London is the day after, Also yes if he’s free come join us 

maybe he can get in contact for next what tho 

Edited by BeccaStardust

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I’m now seeing some kind of series with Betty White in there… how about you? 

Same... clearly it's not the right link :no:

Edited by krysady
  • Sad 1