New song: Modern Times

by Nina on IG 

Saw @Sivan’s stories with a new song recorded by @lollipop_monkeyand I couldn’t sleep so I started writing down the lyrics as far as I can hear them.

EDIT: I saw @tiibet’s video (on Instagram) and have adjusted it some more.

Let me tell you where, where the sun

Where the sun goes

Every time you’re feeling where the boys

Where the boys go

Looking for your fun for the sun

On a dark night

Everybody is looking 

But it doesn’t even feel right

Let me tell you where, where the night

Where the night goes

Rising from the ocean every morning 

Like a big ball

Let me tell you where, where the fun(?) 

Where the run(?) go

Back into the ocean where the boys

Where the boys go 

Run run run run 

Faster than the fading sun

And if you keep on running out of bed

Just before our love’s begun

We’ve gotta find a reason 

For this life

Hyperlove living 

Just about(?) the modern times

Let me tell you where, where the sun

Where the sun goes

Let me tell you here where the boys

Where the boys go

Looking for your fun, for your fun

On a dark night

Everybody is looking 

But it doesn’t even feel right 

Let me tell you where, where the night

Where the night goes

Rising from the ocean in the morning

Like a gold ball

Let me tell you where did ….?…. 

Where did…..?…. go

Back into the ocean where the boys

Where the boys go

Run run run run 

If you keep running out of bed 

For this life

Hyperlove living 

Just to try(?) the modern times

All this hyperlove living

Just about(?) the modern times

Every morning where the ….?…. go

Run run run run 

If you keep running out of bed 

For this life

Hyperlove living 

Just to try(?) the modern times

Hyper love, baby 

Justify(?) the modern times

Edited by mellody
added links to the song
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 7

I’ve listened to it about four times and I quite like it 

it does feel somewhat different to his typical songs, maybe that’s just me, but I’m still enjoying it 

thanks to to those who recorded it, sorry I can’t help with missing lyrics 

• Like 3

I absolutely love this new song!!! Will be listening to it on repeat to get the lyrics down in my head!

There was a snippet that Mika shared a while ago with the lyrics "running, running and falling" (or something like that, I can't quite remember 😆), do you think this is that song but with changed lyrics? 🤔

The "Run run run" verse gives me China Boy vibes for some reason 😅

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

I don't like the first part of the song but I love the second from Run, run, run 

Same for me after just 1 play , but I have to listen to it better several times and my mind may change  .

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I absolutely love this new song!!! Will be listening to it on repeat to get the lyrics down in my head!

There was a snippet that Mika shared a while ago with the lyrics "running, running and falling" (or something like that, I can't quite remember 😆), do you think this is that song but with changed lyrics? 🤔

For me the whole song sounds like old U2. But in "modern time" version :wink2:.

Hard to understand lyrics. About a superficial life of the new generation? I don't know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Hard to understand lyrics. About a superficial life of the new generation? I don't know.

Honestly I think it’s about swiping/dating apps and quick love in the club. And how the narrator actually doesn’t like it, but what can you do? It’s the modern times. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’m intrigued, not yet hooked but that’ll surely come when I’ll hear it in all its glory in high quality audio. That’s usually the case for me anyway. It definitely feels like a cycle song for me. A steady rhythm that keeps going and keeps pushing.

perhaps it’s part of the storytelling, since our lives keep going nonstop for 24/7. Part of modern times as well.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

For me the whole song sounds like old U2. But in "modern time" version :wink2:.

This was my first thought as well: U2. Exactly the same sound! 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Honestly I think it’s about swiping/dating apps and quick love in the club. And how the narrator actually doesn’t like it, but what can you do? It’s the modern times. 

So all in all it's about a superficial life :lol3:  And I agree with the narrator :wink2:

• Like 2

Added the links to the first post.

Thanks Nina and Mana for the videos and Michelle for your work on the lyrics!

So I suddenly woke up at 5:30 am today and felt the urge to check my phone, which I usually don't do when in fact I want to sleep again - and there was a message by Michelle with the new song! :wub2:

First listen (bad sound quality and half asleep): Not excited about it - where are the super melodic songs he talked about?! And something's missing...

Second listen: Ok it's actually quite catchy. It feels more like some electronic club song, but it somehow feels empty, like something is missing - maybe a stronger bass later in the song, some highlight or something?

Then I went back to sleep and when I woke up again, I suddenly thought, ok but maybe this empty, dissatifying feeling I got from it is actually on purpose, because it's exactly what he describes in the lyrics?! Which is actually quite genius.

And now I like it more with every listen, definitely has grown on me a lot since this morning.

The 'modern times' part sounded familiar, and I think it's because it's a similar melody like in  "oohh Tiny Love".

When I read the lyrics, they immediately reminded me of the "Liquid love" book Mika once had on his table backstage at Xfactor. Would look like him to randomly leave a hint like that. :naughty: Also the line of One Foot Boy came to my mind, "empty loving makes me seasick".

I can't tell if it's about his teenage years in the gay clubs or a more recent feeling or more a general emotion than an autobiographical story, like I assume it's also the case for some of his other songs, like Good Wife, Heroes, or Tomorrow. I would guess it's the latter, because if he sings about his teenage years, he might not refer to it as "modern times", and my assumption is that nowadays he wouldn't be looking for love if he goes out clubbing, but if anything then for adventure and distraction, as I assume his love with Andy is not an empty one. But maybe it's something he hears others complaining about, that's why I'm thinking it might be rather about love in modern times in general than about his own specific emotions, but he can relate because he was the same as a teenager and in his early 20s, before he found love.

Of course that's all just theories, I hope he'll talk about his songs and what they mean to him, as he did with a lot of the songs on MNIMH.

Anyway, finally, new music! :excite:

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, mellody said:

So I suddenly woke up at 5:30 am today and felt the urge to check my phone, which I usually don't do when in fact I want to sleep again - and there was a message by Michelle with the new song! :wub2:

I am personally responsible for Karin’s sleep deprivation, I will admit to it, but only for today :biggrin2:

26 minutes ago, mellody said:

Then I went back to sleep and when I woke up again, I suddenly thought, ok but maybe this empty, dissatifying feeling I got from it is actually on purpose, because it's exactly what he describes in the lyrics?! Which is actually quite genius.

I didn’t think about this at all, but I agree, that would be quite genius! However, I also think the song has a lot of potential to be done in different versions. With quite some songs I don’t connect fully at first. But like I mentioned before, Mika has a talent to reframe his songs so they speak to a greater audience. I am very sure it will happen with this song as well.

And I suspect this was a test drive, just to see how the public responds :wink2:

34 minutes ago, mellody said:

Of course that's all just theories, I hope he'll talk about his songs and what they mean to him, as he did with a lot of the songs on MNIMH.

He did say in an interview that the show was somewhat autobiographical, because artists refer to their own life experiences to get inspiration for their work, but to what extent we will never know, that’s the mystery and beauty of it, makes us wonder.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I am personally responsible for Karin’s sleep deprivation, I will admit to it, but only for today :biggrin2:

:naughty: that's ok, thanks to you I woke up to the new song, when it hadn't been posted on IG/Twitter/MFC yet. :wub2: Love it that you thought of me! :hug:

However, I also think the song has a lot of potential to be done in different versions.

Yes, a lot depends on the production, that's true. See Promiseland, the 2 different versions are both fantastic and both have a very different vibe.

He did say in an interview that the show was somewhat autobiographical,

He said that about the Italian tour, but yes, it's certainly true for the current show as well. But that doesn't mean that each song is autobiographical. Like Big Girl, where he tells a story that has autobiographical elements but was actually inspired by a TV show he watched.

Usually I'm the first one to look for Mika's biography in his songs, and as I said, I can see why he can relate to these emotions, even if it's not an actual story from his life. But who knows, I also never would have gotten the autobiographic link in Sanremo, if Mika hadn't told us about it. :dunno_grin: Or what "I went to hell" is about. And I can relate to the songs a lot more if I know how they link to the artist's life, makes it a lot more authentic... and I'm certainly not worried that there'll ever be too LITTLE mystery in regard to Mika! :lmfao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like the song a lot, after two listenings it's already stuck in my head... :biggrin2: I'm curious to hear the studio version, the production always makes a big difference. But so far I really like the sound of it.

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 4

I like this more and more the more I listen to it. The sound is almost classic 90s. And it definitely ties into a lot of what Mika has said recently about how he learned to slow down during quarantine. I think when you slow down, you can suddenly see the world as kind of ridiculous. Why is everyone racing around like that? 

Lots of imagery about time passing - where does the night go, where do the boys (youth) go,

Run run run run 

And then we have "we've gotta find a reason" and "justify". 

Good tune. Can't wait for studio version! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mellody said:

The 'modern times' part sounded familiar, and I think it's because it's a similar melody like in  "oohh Tiny Love".

I thought this too!

And also think it could be about his younger years, his experiences with relationships, sexuality and understanding change between different generations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

understanding change between different generations.

Well, this one is spot on! Being Mika’s age I can honestly say we come from a different dating generation. In both the ways how to date and the views of sexuality and freedom.

If anything this song forms a bridge of both understanding and misunderstanding between those “dating generations” and it’s both liberating to hear, but also sad. A monotone tune in the background makes it both real and surreal, like the feeling when you are standing in a club and you take a few seconds to look around and take it all in.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

This one but no I don't think so.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fallthruthestars said:

And it definitely ties into a lot of what Mika has said recently about how he learned to slow down during quarantine. I think when you slow down, you can suddenly see the world as kind of ridiculous. Why is everyone racing around like that? 

Lots of imagery about time passing - where does the night go, where do the boys (youth) go,

Run run run run 

44 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

understanding change between different generations.

Ah yes, I think that's a good point, I hadn't noticed the aspect of time itself, but actually he refers to it a lot, with the setting and rising sun. Makes me just imagine a music video for it, where Mika would be singing and looking calm, in front of a time lapse video in the background where the sun rises and sets really fast over a wide horizon. :mikalove:

Btw, I forgot to mention that of course this is the song he talked about in the La Repubblica interview: (Google translation)

Was there a risk that the desire to do something would not return?
"Who cares. But it came back, for the joy of doing it, not for fear. In May of last year I went into the studio alone. The first day I sat there and said: I want to go back to the piano. I have I started with a Steve Reich rhythm. Then I added one more thing, an eight-piano loop that was like a pillow: I was at home, I built a house for the first piece. And I started acting and screaming like a madman. . "Sometimes you wonder where it goes, where the sun goes, sometimes you wonder where the kids go at night, you wonder why you always get out of my bed before love gets between us." A euphoric state, as if music were a drug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I was going to quote a few of the comments here, but I agree with parts of so many of them that it'd be almost impossible to keep track of it all. I agree with others that this one sounds somewhat like U2, sounds somewhat 90s (even 90s rock to an extent), and yet sounds totally unique and modern at the same time. I think the somewhat simple sound of it may be related to the superficial mindset that's being discussed, which I think someone else mentioned.

If this is talking about the modern dating culture, I really appreciate hearing a song about that, as I can't get behind the whole dating app and superficial club life thing even though it's been something a lot of other people my age have seemed to embrace.

Like others, I wasn't that into this one on first listen but it's starting to grow on me the more I hear it. That's how I am with most songs, so I'm not surprised. It's nice to hear something new, in any case! I'm looking forward to hearing the recorded version eventually.

• Like 4