Yo Yo - Song and Lyrics Discussion

mellody

thanks for posting your takes on the lyrics & thanks @Sivan for filming it.

i listened to this twice on the way to work this morning, then Modern Times twice. This is the song that's been stuck in my head all morning, making me bop around the workroom. I guess that means it's the winner?

If this doesn't become some kind of nightclub anthem i'll eat my hat.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Is this the new single @dcdeb was talking about? 

Yes!

15 hours ago, Lulul said:

This could be on the radio and at parties but not on my playlist :unsure:

I like the lyrics tho. With an acoustic version or something i could give it a chance.

Well, that's just the thing with Mika. This sounds like a club song, but that doesn't mean he won't rework it at some to become a ballad or something completely different. I think of Hurts, and how the original album version is completely different from the version I've seen him perform live. Same with Stardust, but in reverse -- it's totally electronic on the album, but I don't think I've ever seen him perform it that way.

13 hours ago, lollipop_monkey said:

I'm obsessed with this new song, and I can't figure out how I missed it when it played after the gig in San Francisco. My only excuse is that I was on a high from the show, and was just not at all paying attention to whatever was playing in the venue afterward. Bad, bad fan! :doh:

@Sivan, thank you for being ready for this in LA! :bow:

Anyway, I love this song, and I NEED the studio recording. Need.  I can picture myself dancing to it in a club in some foreign land on a summer night. It's a more dancey, EDM-y, club-y vibe than we're generally used to from Mika, but with his falsetto dancing up and down that chorus it's unmistakably him.

It was kind of a tragedy that the plague times hit right after the last album was released, as I think it's his best to date. But between this song and Modern Times, I'm getting really freakin excited for this new Mika era. :cheer:

Totally agree with you about the last album and how the timing of the pandemic really sucked as far as Mika's tour and plans for 2020.

Also agree with you about this song! :dance_man:

12 hours ago, lollipop_monkey said:

My attempt at the lyrics:

If you're not here tomorrow

We'll go (?)

Who will be

On the beat (x9)

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

(?) the heart heart heart

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo-yo

I'm not goin' nowhere

I'm where I'm meant to be

So I'm not going nowhere

When you run back to me

I’ll be here til tomorrow 

Then you’re gonna see

Your turn to do the dancing 

You can dance with me 

On the beat (x9)

Take me high high high

Take me low low low

Pull me in in in

Let me go go go 

Say good bye bye bye

Say hello lo lo

(?) the heart heart heart

Like a yo-yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Treat me like a yo yo

Da-da-da, da-da-da da-da da-da-da

On the beat (x9)

---

I'm really not sure about the "..(?) the heart heart heart"  line. It would make sense if the word there was also "treat" as in, "treat the heart heart heart" – but it really does sound like a "sh" sound on whatever that word is. Hmm...

I'm pretty sure that line is "treat my heart heart heart, like a yo yo". Otherwise I'm hearing the same as you.

And I'm not sure what "other" voice people are hearing? It all sounds like Mika to me. Unless you mean at the very end when it fades into another song... I think that voice belongs to the next song. :dunno:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Wild theory: what if Mika is experimenting and making a song to verify a possible theory of his that songs don’t need a lot of words these days. Just a lot of repetition and a good beat? :biggrin2:

Yes, it looks like new sounds in both new songs. But if he wrote songs for 2 albums I am sure they all will be very different. And I am happy that he opens his mind on new horizons!!!!!

• Like 4

Hola todos.

Donde puedo escuchar la nueva canción de mika? Creo que se llama yoyo verdad?

Quiero escucharla pero no se donde. :no:

• Like 2

YO-YO song will be on air in the Final of Eurovision! :clap:

Also during the final, Mika will have his own medley of songs and will take the opportunity to launch the new single worldwide. 

Eurovision dietro le quinte
LUCA DONDONI
657 words
27 April 2022
14:12
La Stampa Online

«Da Torino racconteremo l’Italia restando fedeli allo slogan The Sound of Beauty. Il palco centrale è fatto a forma di sole che ruota»

TORINO. Si chiama Emanuele Cristofoli ma per tutti è Laccio e si occupa della direzione artistico/coreografica dei vari momenti di spettacolo che faranno da contrappunto alla gara del prossimo Eurovision Song Contest. Scelta azzeccata. «W», tra le più importanti riviste americane ha definito Emanuele un «giovane terremoto», mentre Vogue Inghilterra ha titolato: «he has the face of Botticelli angel and the spirit of Johnny Rotten (la faccia di un angelo di Botticelli con lo spirito di Johnny Rotten»). Ballerino, coreografo fuori dall’ordinario, Laccio negli ultimi anni ha lavorato a X Factor , curato la direzione artistica e la realizzazione coreografica della versione italiana del musical Tutti parlano di Jamie e, ancora quest’anno, ha curato la performance di Laura Pausini al 72° Festival di Sanremo insieme all’omaggio a Raffaella Carrà della finale. Sempre Laccio ha coreografato l’esibizione dei Måneskin ospiti in America al Saturday Night Live.

In queste ore lei sta lavorando 24 ore su 24 al Pala Olimpico dove dal 10 al 14 maggio si terrà l’Eurovision Song Contest: cosa vedremo?

«Sarà uno degli show più grandi mai realizzati in Italia: un palco enorme, centrale con tanti spicchi a formare un sole che ruota su se stesso grazie a una macchina complessa. Ai presentatori verrà affidato il racconto dell’Italia grazie allo slogan scelto per la nostra edizione: “The Sound of Beauty”. L’opening della prima semifinale trasmetterà empatia e la realtà aumentata con le immagini dei pianeti proiettati in platea con più di 40 ballerini faranno un omaggio al sole come simbolo di gioia, vita e speranza. Lo show iniziale della seconda semifinale sarà affidato ad Alessandro Cattelan che mostrerà il carattere divertente degli italiani; sorrideremo dei nostri stereotipi, saremo autoironici».

L’opening della finale invece?

«Vedrà il collegamento live con i ragazzi di Rockin’ 1000 da piazza San Carlo e quando le immagini arriveranno in studio troveranno Laura Pausini che si prenderà un momento costruito apposta per lei con cambi di scena importanti e un pot-pourri delle sue hit in ben 5 lingue diverse. Sempre durante la finale Mika avrà un suo medley di canzoni e approfitterà per lanciare in mondovisione il nuovo singolo. La sua sarà una performance nella performance».

È difficile tenere le fila di un evento così importante? L’European Broadcasting Union, l’ente che controlla ogni spettacolo dell’Eurovision Song Contest, è esigente.

«È complicatissimo. Ci sono molti reparti che devono lavorare all’unisono con la produzione affidata alla Rai che ha messo in campo una grande professionalità, ma non si dorme molto. Per quanto riguarda i momenti di show c’è più elasticità rispetto alla gara che invece deve seguire regole ferree. Lavoro al fianco di Claudio Santucci, head of show e Claudio Fasulo, Executive Producer e dirigente Rai di lungo corso ed entrambi hanno una sensibilità unica per quanto riguarda lo spettacolo e la sua realizzazione».

Ha studiato dei numeri per ogni artista e ogni esibizione oppure lei si occupa solo dell’Italia e degli italiani?

«Io sono all’oscuro di quello che faranno le altre delegazioni e non abbiamo il tempo nemmeno di vedere cosa faranno».

Il Pala Olimpico sembra fatto apposta per uno show come questo. Dalle immagini pubblicate sino a oggi lo state stravolgendo.

«È un spazio contemporaneo, ci ha stupiti per la sua versatilità. Pensavo che, con tutte le richieste che arrivano da ogni paese, potessero nascere dei problemi, invece l’architettura del Pala Olimpico sembra nata per l’Eurovision Song Contest».

Cosa ci lascerà a bocca aperta?

«Mi creda, il movimento del palco e l’architettura dello stage che si ispirano alla storia del nostro Paese, al sole e permettono dei movimenti di scena da lasciare senza fiato. Una cosa mai vista prima dal vivo e in televisione».

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A show within a show, that’s promising! Can’t say I’m a little scared for him.. Singing this very new song on a big stage for the first time in front of millions of people at home, all having an opinion🫣 Alwyas makes me nervous, can’t imagine how he must feel 😅 Curious about the medley, will they be his songs or older Eurovision? (Please don’t sing Abba, Mika🙇‍♀️)

• Like 2

Hmm, I was just wondering if it's even that song, or if it's only the first single for the US, and a different one here? It's super catchy and probably fits to what's usually played at Eurovision, but on the other hand I guess I'd have expected Eurovision and especially the performances by the hosts to be super meaningful and deep this year, with the war and all, more like the message of "Ein bisschen Frieden" (ESC winner Nicole from 40 years ago, a little bit of peace) and "treat me like a Yoyo" just doesn't fit in that picture. :roftl: Then again, I just read that one of the song contributions is about eating salad, so yeah. :mf_rosetinted: I probably overestimate the meaningful message of Eurovision, when it's mostly light entertainment and distraction. :naughty: In any case I hope it's a huge success for Mika, already so hard to believe that he will actually be singing on TV all over Europe, even on German TV, and not just Grace Kelly and Relax but a NEW song!! I don't even care which new song he'll sing or if everyone will like it, but him getting that kind of exposure for his music all over Europe is just awesome. :wub2:

Talking about catchy, I have the da da da da da part of Yoyo stuck in my head today. :naughty:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NaoMika said:

YO-YO song will be on air in the Final of Eurovision! :clap:

Also during the final, Mika will have his own medley of songs and will take the opportunity to launch the new single worldwide. 

Eurovision dietro le quinte
LUCA DONDONI
657 words
27 April 2022
14:12
La Stampa Online

«Da Torino racconteremo l’Italia restando fedeli allo slogan The Sound of Beauty. Il palco centrale è fatto a forma di sole che ruota»

TORINO. Si chiama Emanuele Cristofoli ma per tutti è Laccio e si occupa della direzione artistico/coreografica dei vari momenti di spettacolo che faranno da contrappunto alla gara del prossimo Eurovision Song Contest. Scelta azzeccata. «W», tra le più importanti riviste americane ha definito Emanuele un «giovane terremoto», mentre Vogue Inghilterra ha titolato: «he has the face of Botticelli angel and the spirit of Johnny Rotten (la faccia di un angelo di Botticelli con lo spirito di Johnny Rotten»). Ballerino, coreografo fuori dall’ordinario, Laccio negli ultimi anni ha lavorato a X Factor , curato la direzione artistica e la realizzazione coreografica della versione italiana del musical Tutti parlano di Jamie e, ancora quest’anno, ha curato la performance di Laura Pausini al 72° Festival di Sanremo insieme all’omaggio a Raffaella Carrà della finale. Sempre Laccio ha coreografato l’esibizione dei Måneskin ospiti in America al Saturday Night Live.

In queste ore lei sta lavorando 24 ore su 24 al Pala Olimpico dove dal 10 al 14 maggio si terrà l’Eurovision Song Contest: cosa vedremo?

«Sarà uno degli show più grandi mai realizzati in Italia: un palco enorme, centrale con tanti spicchi a formare un sole che ruota su se stesso grazie a una macchina complessa. Ai presentatori verrà affidato il racconto dell’Italia grazie allo slogan scelto per la nostra edizione: “The Sound of Beauty”. L’opening della prima semifinale trasmetterà empatia e la realtà aumentata con le immagini dei pianeti proiettati in platea con più di 40 ballerini faranno un omaggio al sole come simbolo di gioia, vita e speranza. Lo show iniziale della seconda semifinale sarà affidato ad Alessandro Cattelan che mostrerà il carattere divertente degli italiani; sorrideremo dei nostri stereotipi, saremo autoironici».

L’opening della finale invece?

«Vedrà il collegamento live con i ragazzi di Rockin’ 1000 da piazza San Carlo e quando le immagini arriveranno in studio troveranno Laura Pausini che si prenderà un momento costruito apposta per lei con cambi di scena importanti e un pot-pourri delle sue hit in ben 5 lingue diverse. Sempre durante la finale Mika avrà un suo medley di canzoni e approfitterà per lanciare in mondovisione il nuovo singolo. La sua sarà una performance nella performance».

È difficile tenere le fila di un evento così importante? L’European Broadcasting Union, l’ente che controlla ogni spettacolo dell’Eurovision Song Contest, è esigente.

«È complicatissimo. Ci sono molti reparti che devono lavorare all’unisono con la produzione affidata alla Rai che ha messo in campo una grande professionalità, ma non si dorme molto. Per quanto riguarda i momenti di show c’è più elasticità rispetto alla gara che invece deve seguire regole ferree. Lavoro al fianco di Claudio Santucci, head of show e Claudio Fasulo, Executive Producer e dirigente Rai di lungo corso ed entrambi hanno una sensibilità unica per quanto riguarda lo spettacolo e la sua realizzazione».

Ha studiato dei numeri per ogni artista e ogni esibizione oppure lei si occupa solo dell’Italia e degli italiani?

«Io sono all’oscuro di quello che faranno le altre delegazioni e non abbiamo il tempo nemmeno di vedere cosa faranno».

Il Pala Olimpico sembra fatto apposta per uno show come questo. Dalle immagini pubblicate sino a oggi lo state stravolgendo.

«È un spazio contemporaneo, ci ha stupiti per la sua versatilità. Pensavo che, con tutte le richieste che arrivano da ogni paese, potessero nascere dei problemi, invece l’architettura del Pala Olimpico sembra nata per l’Eurovision Song Contest».

Cosa ci lascerà a bocca aperta?

«Mi creda, il movimento del palco e l’architettura dello stage che si ispirano alla storia del nostro Paese, al sole e permettono dei movimenti di scena da lasciare senza fiato. Una cosa mai vista prima dal vivo e in televisione».

Which one will be the new single? :excite: Yo yo or Modern times? 

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mellody said:

Hmm, I was just wondering if it's even that song, or if it's only the first single for the US, and a different one here? It's super catchy and probably fits to what's usually played at Eurovision, but on the other hand I guess I'd have expected Eurovision and especially the performances by the hosts to be super meaningful and deep this year, with the war and all, more like the message of "Ein bisschen Frieden" (ESC winner Nicole from 40 years ago, a little bit of peace) and "treat me like a Yoyo" just doesn't fit in that picture. :roftl: Then again, I just read that one of the song contributions is about eating salad, so yeah. :mf_rosetinted: I probably overestimate the meaningful message of Eurovision, when it's mostly light entertainment and distraction. :naughty: In any case I hope it's a huge success for Mika, already so hard to believe that he will actually be singing on TV all over Europe, even on German TV, and not just Grace Kelly and Relax but a NEW song!! I don't even care which new song he'll sing or if everyone will like it, but him getting that kind of exposure for his music all over Europe is just awesome. :wub2:

Talking about catchy, I have the da da da da da part of Yoyo stuck in my head today. :naughty:

Well there is a song with wolfes and bananas singing that the woof should be fed with a banana in order to save granma (the beat is great by the way and it's very funny ) so unless the wolf is Putin and the grandma Ukraine (which is a possibility after all :dunno: ) I'm not sure there is a message :wink2:

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

It can be even something new.

There is still time to release new music in Europe before Eurovision. :wink2:

Yes :excite:I am so eager to hear the one we got a tiny snipet for on January 8th. I have such a good feeling about it :wub2:

• Like 2

Yoyo is the nickname my kids and I give to my husband :floor:

It started because we didn't want to use his full name when he was a pain and he never got that :lmfao:so we still call him that way :lmao:

So if Yoyo is really that song's name it's really funny to me...

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

It can be even something new.

There is still time to release new music in Europe before Eurovision. :wink2:

I really hope so because I'm still not the biggest fan of Yoyo and I think Modern Times isn't supposed to be a single if I got it right? So a new song would be great! 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

I really hope so because I'm still not the biggest fan of Yoyo and I think Modern Times isn't supposed to be a single if I got it right? So a new song would be great! 

Given the snipets the other songs of the album miģht sound totally different and in the interview in Montreal we are working on Mika said he was going to a meeting with the boss of Universal so they would decide which single would be for each country so there will be several singles for sure :thumb_yello: And I remember when Ice Cream was released as the first song of My Name is Michael Holbrook I was not into it right away but it ended up growing on me...the first songs released always seem to be dancing songs to make full arenas party and to be played on the radios (like Elle Me Dit)  then come the melodic ones that melt our hearts like Tiny Love, Sanremo, Tomorrow, Paloma, Tiny Love Reprise for exemple. Mika will release two albums and a movie soundtrack so there will be a huge choice :swoon:I hope for some oriental/rai/african rythms too as it would be so perfect :wub2: I didn't like Promiseland  first version rythm but the version with Masroud is mesmerizing to me :wub2:

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, crazyaboutmika said:

Which one will be the new single?  Yo yo or Modern times? 

yes i agree maybe maybe one of the two:excite:my God my heart 

Edited by Paoletta
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 7:32 AM, crazyaboutmika said:

Well there is a song with wolfes and bananas singing that the woof should be fed with a banana in order to save granma (the beat is great by the way and it's very funny ) so unless the wolf is Putin and the grandma Ukraine (which is a possibility after all :dunno: ) I'm not sure there is a message :wink2:

I love this song :doh:, GIVE that Wolf a Banana 

• Haha 3

This is the biggest opportunity for Mika to promote himself from his entire career. It will be the widest exposure he could ever get, one chance in a lifetime. So it is extremely important to make the right choice about the song he'll perform, to give to the audience the sense of his genuine and special talent. 

He doesn't need an ordinary single that could be played by anyone on the radios and clubs, he can do better and we know it. His biggest fear is to become mediocre, he said it so many times, let's hope he can prove to the rest of the world what his fans know already, that he is far from being like that. This song doesn't show his real potential, imo., and maybe it's not even the one supposed to be presented at Eurovision at all, we'll have to wait and see :dunno:  

• Like 7

20 hours ago, krysady said:

This is the biggest opportunity for Mika to promote himself from his entire career. It will be the widest exposure he could ever get, one chance in a lifetime. So it is extremely important to make the right choice about the song he'll perform, to give to the audience the sense of his genuine and special talent. 

He doesn't need an ordinary single that could be played by anyone on the radios and clubs, he can do better and we know it. His biggest fear is to become mediocre, he said it so many times, let's hope he can prove to the rest of the world what his fans know already, that he is far from being like that. This song doesn't show his real potential, imo., and maybe it's not even the one supposed to be presented at Eurovision at all, we'll have to wait and see :dunno:  

I'm afraid he doesn't get to chose which song it will be...however I hope it is one that everyone watching eurovision falls in love with the song he will perform with right away :crossed: the way Grace Kelly did 15 years ago :crossed: It's such a great opportunity that musn't be missed,  you're totally right :thumb_yello:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 6